• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

1) So.. how much will the Wii U cost? $299.99

2) And when will the Wii U's Launch Day be? November 18, 2012

3) Your #1 Desired Launch Day Game? Pikmin would be enough for me. I think Asscreed 3 may be worth it too depending on the IQ for it.

4) Any pleasant third-party surprises for the Wii U? My speculation/dream: Valve IPs, and Steam Workshop compatibility with the Wii U version of Portal 2. Designing levels with the new testing initiative would be easy with the DRC. Can get digital copy of game on Wii U if you already own it on Steam.

Maybe XIV for Wii U.

5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behavior/substance during E3 Week?
Old hardware, 6 years blah blah, online sucks, Nintendo forever lost the core gamer, price will be too much.

Basically, anything we won't find out about the system the media will make guesses about and portray it as fact.

6) What'll be your preferred food & drink of choice during the Nintendo Conference? Coffee and maybe some trail mix/bowl of cereal.

7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent between Wii U and 3DS?

Conference: 1h 20m
Marketing stuff: 5-10 minutes
3DS - 15 minutes
WiiU - ~ 1 hour

They'll probably address concerns about last year's reveal, break down some things, talk about partnerships, and then have a series of live demonstrations followed by a developer reel. This will be followed by a screen of logos of developers on board/game franchises in development.

8) Predict: rate the Wii U Launch lineup from 1 (worst) to 10 (best). Given the timing and the types of games coming out in November, i'm going to predict that most third parties will try and take advantage of being on the system at launch. The launch consumer is going to definitely buy some games right out the gate, and I can see almost all the blockbusters being there.

I give it a 9, with a majority of the great software being the heavy hitters of the holiday season and a quality two great Nintendo titles.

9) Predict: any final hardware revelations? Wiimote IR sensors on the controller, 720p with a higher IQ and locked 60 FPS will be half the make-up of games, with the rest being 1080p native 30 FPS.

10) Predict: any super-special applications that Nintendo's gonna spring on us? Cloud services, the OS, Streetpass operability, a streaming demo service akin to what EA does with Gaikai for its PC games with 1 hour time limits to play full version of games.

11) Predict: With BP now gone, who's the Nintendo fan most likely to be banned from NeoGAF during E3 Week? Eatchildren, but his will be a leave of absence after the Starfox x Metroid game gets announced. I'm hoping for a letter of absence before he departs.

In reality, I think it's going to be the shitloads of members who never used their account to come back and start trash-talking in the conference thread.

12) Wild-card prediction: anything else? You can stream your 3DS games to your WiiU to play on your TV. Also, at least 25 threads between now and launch about people complaining about the system's power without specs.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Nintendo Voice Chat Podcast Summary.

- Controller redesign talk. Nothing new here.
- Not sold on the sticks. (Think they can suck. Apparently the Nunchuck's stick is crap. What?)
- Chicken and Waffles...
- More food talk...
- The SOBs go off-topic for absolutely no reason and it's boring as shit why am I listening to this dear God save me!
- They mistook Lego City Stories for Lego Universe...
- STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD, FOR GOD'S SAKE!
- Metroid x Star Fox talk.
- "Nintendo is basically making games based on ideas kids get on gamefaqs."
- Corrects the Lego Universe mistake.
- Rich (?) doesn't believe the Metroid x Star Fox rumour. At all.
- Wish for return of the "Hub-world a-la Super Mario 64" in Super Mario Wii U.
- ... They don't really seem to be interested by talking about actual news... they've been arguing for a good 10 minutes about the hub-world.
- Believes RE6 will come to Wii U. Will lag (as in, performance-wise).
- E3 in general is Nintendo's show and it's their E3 this year to loose.
- Predicts Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario and Animal Crossing 3DS release dates announcement.
- Random talk of Animal Crossing memories. THIS IS BOOOOOOORING!
- Talking about Nintendo's Dark E3s.

Vectorman, I want my 45 minutes back! This was crap boring.

Nilaul

I'm starting to feel like I felt when brawl was approaching its release date, hype is getting unbearable. My oldest kid (14) wants to skip school to see it live and I'm not allowing it and I just got 4 days off myself, I'm such an hypocrite lol :/

Man allow him, we all skip school. A day off wont damage his school grade. Just build up the father son relation ship instead, after take him out for icecream. :)

Antman2012

Neo Member
I remember a day where the Nintendo voice chat podcast brought much information and pleasant surprises....

*sigh* IGN is run by idiots these days

- Not sold on the sticks. (Think they can suck. Apparently the Nunchuck's stick is crap. What?)
- Chicken and Waffles...
- More food talk...
- The SOBs go off-topic for absolutely no reason and it's boring as shit why am I listening to this dear God save me!
- ... They don't really seem to be interested by talking about actual news... they've been arguing for a good 10 minutes about the hub-world.
- Predicts Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario and Animal Crossing 3DS release dates announcement.

So basically... "Wii's analog sticks are garbage. Wii U's sticks will suck. Metroid x Star Fox is going to suck. Except it doesn't exist. Galaxy needed a hub world. RE6 will come to the more powerful Wii U, but will suck. Nintendo's past E3's have sucked. But this E3 is all Nintendo, and they better not fuck it up."

If you hate Nintendo that much, why expect them to walk away with the show?

J-Rock

Banned

- Chicken and Waffles...
- More food talk...

jksimmonsprjjygzxik.gif

- Chicken and Waffles...
- More food talk...

tumblr_lotel2nHNV1qclosuo1_500.gif

jacksrb

The Nintendo Wii U Speculation Thread Pre-E3 Survey

1) So.. how much will the Wii U cost? $324.99

2) And when will the Wii U's Launch Day be? Nov 18th, 2012 [US]

3) Your #1 Desired Launch Day Game? Wii U Vs [Battle Mii, Chase Mii, etc.]

4) Any pleasant third-party surprises for the Wii U? BLOPS 2 drone control on screen

5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behaviour/substance during E3 Week? Yeah, it has analog triggers, real analog sticks that are clicky, and you can use two with a system, but NO MULTI TOUCH!

6) What'll be your preferred food & drink of choice during the Nintendo Conference? Pizza & Coke

7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent between Wii U amd 3DS? 60 minutes - 40 on Wii U, 20 on 3DS

8) Predict: rate the Wii U Launch lineup from 1 (worst) to 10 (best). 9 - better third party support than any Nintendo console launch - but no Mario or Zelda

9) Predict: any final hardware revelations? 2 Upads on a single game

10) Predict: any super-special applications that Nintendo's gonna spring on us? Video chat where you can draw on the person

11) Predict: With BP now gone, who's the Nintendo fan most likely to be banned from NeoGAF during E3 Week? snesfreak

12) Wild-card prediction: anything else? the same people excited now will be hella-excited after E3; those skeptical will remain so in the face of compelling software and hardware

BY2K

Membero Americo
So basically... "Wii's analog sticks are garbage. Wii U's sticks will suck. Metroid x Star Fox is going to suck. Except it doesn't exist. Galaxy needed a hub world. RE6 will come to the more powerful Wii U, but will suck. Nintendo's past E3's have sucked. But this E3 is all Nintendo, and they better not fuck it up."

If you hate Nintendo that much, why expect them to walk away with the show?

... They don't say those stuff. At all. They don't say it the Wii U's sticks will suck, but they think the Nunchuck's did (seriously?) and thus aren't 100% satisfied with the Wii U's until they can try it. They don't say MxSF will suck, they say it's a crazy idea probably made up by a kid from gamefaqs and they don't believe it at all (except the girl, which she claims Nintendo actually stole the idea from her.) They don't say Galaxy needed a hub world, just that they want it back in the next one. SOME of Nintendo's past E3 have sucked.

- Chicken and Waffles...
- More food talk...

I know people have said this before,but man i really do miss Matt,Craig and Bozon at least they where passionate about Nintendo.

ElRenoRaven

- Chicken and Waffles...
- More food talk...

WOW! This is IGN? I'm guessing it's a whole new crew there. I quit reading IGN years ago minus the occasional article linked.

RagnarokX

I know people have said this before,but man i really do miss Matt,Craig and Bozon at least they where passionate about Nintendo.

Matt had some really stupid quirks, though. Like he said he wanted to hold review scores hostage to make Nintendo change games to fix problems he personally had with them like lack of voice acting in Zelda. And he was all like "SEQUELS CAN NEVER HAVE BETTER SCORES THAN THEIR PREDECESSORS!!1"

But at least he was just stupid and not downright antagonistic.

antonz

WOW! This is IGN? I'm guessing it's a whole new crew there. I quit reading IGN years ago minus the occasional article linked.

They really dont have individual teams anymore so the "Nintendo" Team is really just PS360 people and their "love" of Nintendo shows

- Chicken and Waffles...
- More food talk...

They're "not sold on the sticks"? Why? Why do they assume this isn't overall positive and why do they apparently also want their audience to assume that there's something "wrong" or "out of place" with the fact that the tablet now has dual analog? Are we supposed to assume they'd rather have sliders and if so why?

Mario 3D series needs Hubs again? No it doesn't. No large hubs = less filler and more platforming which clearly was part of what made SMG 1&2 such well received successes. Sonic 3D series didn't start recovering until it stopped relying on large hubs, so hubs are clearly awful and this opinion of theirs is also quite moronic and suspect.

edit: Treating the SF x Metroid rumour as fact and comparing Nintendo's development process to Gamefaqs kid fiction, what brilliant and professional behavior.

RE6 would lag performance wise on Wii U and their proof of this is...?

Edit: bryanee clarified that they meant its release might lag or be delayed, not performance related.

These people think that they're industry journalists. Journalists reporting on one of the largest industries in the world. Think about that.

Anyways, thanks for the summary, will help me avoid wasting time ever listening to these idiots in the future.

HylianTom

Banned
The last time I paid attention to any of the big three was when Matt & Bozon were still there. 1Up was becoming quite unpalatable, and GameSpot never really offered anything that stood out.

I was a much happier camper when I quit visiting those sites, haha. But back then, Nintendo fans weren't anywhere near as vocal and open about bad coverage. Nowadays, I mean, look at us here.. so damn encouraging!

ElRenoRaven

They really dont have individual teams anymore so the "Nintendo" Team is really just PS360 people and their "love" of Nintendo shows

No wonder. I loved that site back in the days when you have both Davids on the Playstation team. Then you had Peer, Matt, etc on the Nintendo sites. The Xbox team never really had a good crew sadly. I'm surprised Matt left. I never saw him leaving unless it was to actually work for Nintendo. Where did he go?

- Chicken and Waffles...
- More food talk...

Seems like a bunch of people not giving a shit about Nintendo, but they just needed someone on the site to cover Wii and 3DS stuff or something, lol.

antonz

No wonder. I loved that site back in the days when you have both Davids on the Playstation team. Then you had Peer, Matt, etc on the Nintendo sites. The Xbox team never really had a good crew sadly. I'm surprised Matt left. I never saw him leaving unless it was to actually work for Nintendo. Where did he go?

Matt left to work for Apple. Think it was something related to App Store and game quality control or something like that.

bryanee

The RE6 comment was made in regards to when we could expect it (release date) not how the game would run or perform in terms of sales.

Terrible podcast though, I was ready to turn it off during the pancake/waffle debate.

NTom64

- Not sold on the sticks. (Think they can suck. Apparently the Nunchuck's stick is crap.

Gonna have to agree with the nunchuck criticism. It feels...almost floaty. That's the best way I can describe it tbh. It's more noticeable in games like Skyward Sword, especially when you go to open chests n' whatnot. Sometimes I end up walking around the chest instead of just going straight up to it. Maybe it's to do with the weight of the nunchuck itself or the fact the stick feels like it's floating under my thumb, but it's definitely my least favourite method of analog control that Nintendo's put out thus far.

And now for lists!

1) So.. how much will the Wii U cost? £250-300

2) And when will the Wii U's Launch Day be? November [Worldwide]

3) Your #1 Desired Launch Day Game? Pikmin 3

4) Any pleasant third-party surprises for the Wii U? I'd settle for Grand Theft Auto V in any way shape or form tbh

5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behaviour/substance during E3 Week? Yeah, the Wii U's nice n' all, but it'd be better if I could play Halo on it.
Real answer: The Wii U is underpowered and will be beaten easily by the next-gen XBOX and Sony consoles

6) What'll be your preferred food & drink of choice during the Nintendo Conference? Pizza

7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent between Wii U amd 3DS? 1 hour (half Wii U, half 3DS)

8) Predict: rate the Wii U Launch lineup from 1 (worst) to 10 (best). 8 - Decent Nintendo output (Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros), mostly 3rd party titles

9) Predict: any final hardware revelations? I was going to say proper analog sticks, but that's kind of been confirmed already, so...I got nothing!

10) Predict: any super-special applications that Nintendo's gonna spring on us? The ability to create and upload levels (designing them with the stylus on the U-Pad) for games like Mario Kart and so on would be amazing!

11) Predict: With BP now gone, who's the Nintendo fan most likely to be banned from NeoGAF during E3 Week? Don't really know much about the Nintendo fans here, so I'll just go with myself. Any mention of a Mario and Sonic game where they don't settle their differences through the majestic art of the speedwalk would be enough to turn me into an overzealous jackass ha ha.

12) Wild-card prediction: anything else? Dreamcast and Saturn games will be available to download from the Virtual Console (along with Gamecube titles, of course)

Seriously cannot wait for E3. This one's gonna be amazing, I can feel it!

NTom64 said:
Gonna have to agree with the nunchuck criticism. It feels...almost floaty.

Gotta disagree. Nunchuk analog stick has always felt like butter to me and has performed like a champ for me. I never once thought to myself "I wish the analog stick was tighter" while beating Grandmaster Galaxy.

Mario 3D series needs Hubs again? No it doesn't. No large hubs = less filler and more platforming which clearly was part of what made SMG 1&2 such well received successes. Sonic 3D series didn't start recovering until it stopped relying on large hubs, so hubs are clearly awful and this opinion of theirs is also quite moronic and suspect.
Actually, I disagree with this on several counts. A well-designed hub isn't filler, since it has plenty of meat to it to stand on its own. Honestly, I'm remembering countless hours just dicking around in Princess Peach's Castle, Delfino Plaza, Station Square, Mystic Ruins etc. Why? Because it was fun. I knew where the levels were, if I wanted to just play the damn game then there wasn't really a whole lot stopping me from just playing the damn game.

Also, the Sonic series' quality went up around Unleashed, which incidentally had hubs. I mean, yeah, you had to put up with the werehog, but daytime Sonic's where the prevailing gameplay mechanics kicked in! It was refining those mechanics to fill a game's worth of content that really made the series start to pick up, not ditching the hub maps.

Lastly, only going by the post you quoted, they said they wanted hubs, not that it needed them. And frankly, I agree. Galaxy's hubs were rather bland, honestly. I'll gladly take another trip inside a hub on the level of Peach's Castle or Isle Delfino, honestly. Just don't make it so big as to make traversing from one stage to another a chore - something I think Isle Delfino pulled off wonderfully.

Actually, I disagree with this on several counts. A well-designed hub isn't filler, since it has plenty of meat to it to stand on its own. Honestly, I'm remembering countless hours just dicking around in Princess Peach's Castle, Delfino Plaza, Station Square, Mystic Ruins etc. Why? Because it was fun. I knew where the levels were, if I wanted to just play the damn game then there wasn't really a whole lot stopping me from just playing the damn game.

Also, the Sonic series' quality went up around Unleashed, which incidentally had hubs. I mean, yeah, you had to put up with the werehog, but that's where the prevailing gameplay mechanics kicked in! It was refining those mechanics to fill a game's worth of content that really made the series start to pick up, not ditching the hub maps.

Lastly, only going by the post you quoted, they said they wanted hubs, not that it needed them. And frankly, I agree. Galaxy's hubs were rather bland, honestly. I'll gladly take another trip inside a hub on the level of Peach's Castle or Isle Delfino, honestly. Just don't make it so big as to make traversing from one stage to another a chore - something I think Isle Delfino pulled off wonderfully.

Agreed, I love well done hubs. Lately: Last Story.
I wouldn't mind another Peachs Castle as in Mario 64.

I hated late day IGN Nintendo, Matt and co were just unbearable to listen to for me. WAH WAH WAH SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH at everything followed by *Mexican voice mocking the readers/listeners* etc.

It was obvious they weren't really interested in Nintendo anymore or more like Nintendo weren't really doing anything or giving them anything they wanted anymore. Thats fine, but come on they shouldn't be doing that job anymore then if thats how they feel. Some people DO still care.

I liked the new guys for awhile, but eventually I just stopped listening. Partly because I don't play FFXI anymore so I don't have giant downtime where I find myself sitting around wanting something to listen to while playing a MMO lol, but also cause there just wasn't much interesting on it. I dunno if thats because Nintendo just doesn't give them anything to talk about or just cause they like joking round and figure no one really notices.

Sunshine and SA1 had cool hubs, yes. But to me they're still filler that could be used toward making more stages in the game itself. I'd rather be platforming and digging into some real action rather than 'messing around' a village square. The first time my brother in law saw the level map screens in SMG2 he seemed happy they went a more old school route, so this isn't a niche sentiment. But to each their own.

Also, the Sonic series' quality went up around Unleashed, which incidentally had hubs. I mean, yeah, you had to put up with the werehog, but daytime Sonic's where the prevailing gameplay mechanics kicked in! It

Are you kidding? Unleashed still had obnoxious hubs and chores to do in the hubs. Oh and, "Wanna play a sweet daytime stage? Sorry, you gotta go collect a bunch of medals and do some fetching first!"

Oddduck

It was obvious they were really interested in Nintendo anymore or more like Nintendo weren't really doing anything or giving them anything they wanted anymore. Thats fine, but come on they shouldn't be doing this anymore if thats how they feel. Some people DO still care.

The Wii era is weird because there were such a large number of Nintendo fans who felt like Nintendo weren't giving them what they wanted.

Sure, a lot of Nintendo fans were having fun with their Wii's (I loved mine), but many weren't.

I've never seen so many Nintendo fans divided on a console.

Put me into the I don't like the Nunchuck analog group. I hate how the Nunchuck as a whole feels so light and cheap. The Wiimote feels amazing, maybe minus the B button.

1) So.. how much will the Wii U cost? $300

2) And when will the Wii U's Launch Day be? Oct-Nov-Dec (JPN-NA-PAL)

3) Your #1 Desired Launch Day Game? Pikmin 3

4) Any pleasant third-party surprises for the Wii U? They'll at least half-ass it for a change

5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behaviour/substance during E3 Week? Where's the lightening in a bottle, why can't they do it everytime? EPIC FAIL

6) What'll be your preferred food & drink of choice during the Nintendo Conference? Anything with alcohol in it

7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent between Wii U amd 3DS? The usual, split 45% Wii U, 45% 3DS, 10% legacy/other

8) Predict: rate the Wii U Launch lineup from 1 (worst) to 10 (best). 9

9) Predict: any final hardware revelations? Higher res tablet screen, more RAM

10) Predict: any super-special applications that Nintendo's gonna spring on us? We'll be able to so something we've been able to do for years on PC and other systems

11) Predict: With BP now gone, who's the Nintendo fan most likely to be banned from NeoGAF during E3 Week? Well, Burntpork was the obvious answer, I don't know most too well but guek seems to get banned a lot so I'll go with him.

12) Wild-card prediction: anything else? Nintendo will announce an Animal Crossing MMO

Now you know why I stopped listening at episode 60...

*nods in agreement*

The Wii era is weird because there were such a large number of Nintendo fans who felt like Nintendo weren't giving them what they wanted.

Sure, a lot of Nintendo fans were having fun with their Wii's (I loved mine), but many weren't.

I've never seen so many Nintendo fans divided on a console.

To be fair, I just listened to Radio Free Nintendo's E3 2008 podcasts and it was what I thought at the time. WTF Nintendo, WTF, I've been a fan for over 20 years and what did I get? Animal Crossing? WTF...

It honestly felt like a SK or Factor 5 type situation where they saw the Wii and were like "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh thats not really where I see myself going". A fair complaint but the thing was so depressing to listen to, I had to go out and seek other podcasts where people actually were still actively interested in Nintendo so were a little..... I dunno, more lively about things and it wasn't all a chore/sighing/mocking lol.

The new guys are funny, and I can tell they actually at least like Nintendo still, or rather more tolerable to what they are now. But they do get sidetracked a lot.

Still love Audrey though. <3

It honestly felt like a SK or Factor 5 type situation where they saw the Wii and were like "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh thats not really where I see myself going". A fair complaint but the thing was so depressing to listen to, I had to go out and seek other podcasts where people actually were still actively interested in Nintendo so were a little..... I dunno, more lively about things and it wasn't all a chore/sighing/mocking lol.

The new guys are funny, and I can tell they actually at least like Nintendo still, or rather more tolerable to what they are now. But they do get sidetracked a lot.

Still love Audrey though. <3

I thought the situation was they wanted to work on Wii but Nintendo made major changes late (going from a new high powered system to a beefed up GameCube) but couldn't give them clear guidance, so needing money they left for someone who could.

Say baby.

Man, just over 13 days now.
Can you feel it, guys?

For the last couple weeks. The dreams should start soon. Don't worry, I've never had the least bit desire to post them on neogaf.

I hope us WiiU owners put our fucking money where out mouths are. I know if HL3, GTAV, Bioshock, and what have you are announced for the WiiU, I'll be there showing my support day one. Developers can make the games but it's on us to buck the trend as well.

I thought the situation was they wanted to work on Wii but Nintendo made major changes late (going from a new high powered system to a beefed up GameCube) but couldn't give them clear guidance, so needing money they left for someone who could.

Dunno, I thought it was just we want to make 'teh epicz games' and weren't gonna be able to realise our dream on that type of system/Nintendo weren't really going in the same type of direction so they parted ways.

antonz

I hope us WiiU owners put our fucking money where out mouths are. I know if HL3, GTAV, Bioshock, and what have you are announced for the WiiU, I'll be there showing my support day one. Developers can make the games but it's on us to buck the trend as well.

Thats been the main thing I have been saying. The Wii U is powerful enough to matter but if People treat it like the gamecube and only buy Nintendo games it will be treated like the Gamecube by publishers.

And quite frankly this time around a gamecube type failure would be catastrophic for Nintendos safety net

Hiltz

Heh, I think we would have been better not not knowing what IGN Nintendo had to say.

I love my Wii despite the various issues Nintendo's made with it and the general lack of third-party support. Nintendo's at least done a lot to please the core gamer in terms of its classic franchises, including surprising revivals. It's just a shame that we didn't get much in the way of original IPs, but at least Xenoblade was a doozy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom