• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Here is a leaked pic that confirms it.

5844052316327252.JPG

It's totally legit.

whoa! never saw that one before! well done to whoever made it

http://www.mariocastle.it/viewtopic.php?p=23476#p23476

Salve a tutti, spero che vi ricordiate di me.
Volevo dirvi che in verità non sono quello che ho detto di essere prima. Non sono uno sviluppatore di Ubisoft Milano, anzi, non sono nemmeno uno sviluppatore in verità. Sono solo un ragazzo di 15 anni che ama giocare con i videogiochi. Volevo fare uno scherzo agli utenti di questo forum, ma non volevo che il tutto sarebbe finito in questo modo. Mi scuso con tutti, con gli utenti, con tutti i fan che hanno creduto a quello che ho scritto, ma soprattutto ad Ubisoft a cui mi sono reso conto di aver causato problemi. In un primo momento ho pensato a spacciarmi per uno sviluppatore di Ubisoft perchè è stato il primo nome di una società che ha sede in Italia, in modo da essere creduto da più persone possibile.
Mi sono pentito di aver fatto una cosa del genere, perciò desidero chiedere scusa a tutti nella speranza che possiate perdonarmi per questo errore e spero che la Ubisoft perdoni la mia bravata e giuro che non farò più una cosa simile.

Ha.

tkscz

This thread moves too god damn fast. I went back like 3 or 4 pages and didn't see it. Fucking hell.

It was posted in this thread, in thread V, it had it's own thread. This rumor keeps popping up, SOMEONE PLEASE PUT THAT THIS RUMOR IS FAKE ON THE FRONT PAGE!!!

And somehow I can guarantee that this will not reach any of the websites who quoted this kid and believed it.

Did you look through the patents? They mention image capturing device or something (and I saw infrared filter mentioned somewhere) for the front. Interesting part of the new zapper/super scope I didn't notice before, at least from the drawings it looks like everything is integrated other than the tablet (so it's a real controller attachment rather than plastic shell)...hopefully it doesn't cost too much.

I just skimmed it. It looked like it was all integrated, but I didn't forth the effort to properly read that patent. Thanks.

Ahhh I never saw it, Toms Hardware just posted it today. Sorry for the old bullshit rumors being posted again.

Stop working 27hrs a day and you'll know stuff like that is fake. :)

HylianTom

Banned
I totally agree with this. I'm all for liking one thing or another, but as journalists, they need to put that crap aside and handle issues accordingly. Too much of our industry is run by people who don't know how to be objective. I guess this is true for a lot of the mass media world, but I feel like it's even more so in our industry.

That's all I really ask. Heck, I know at there are preferences, and that's fine so long as those preferences don't irreparably taint coverage. Same for the podcast element of things.. preferences are fine, I get that - but don't expect fans to hang around if it's 90% negative.

In some cases, it might behoove some sites to get a panelist or two who are as enthusiastic for Nintendo as they are for, say.. I dunno.. what do they obsess over these days? (Honestly, I don't know. I haven't really kept-up with what they (the podcasters) like these days. But surely you get catch my drift.) The last time I listened, there always seemd to be a Sony guy and a Microsoft guy or two present.

And if there isn't anyone on the PC side of things, that'd be absolutely fantastic, too.

Heck.. a Nintendo/PC old school gamer podcast would rock, now that I think of it.

As far as the whole community aspect that EatChildren mentions is concerned: it's no coincidence that I spend 90% of my time here. :)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
hehe, Wii Music is one of the rare exceptions of a Nintendo first-party game that I have never considered buying ... after watching your video now I am tempted!
I noticed they are opening applications for the next series of the Apprentice. I shall write on my CV that I can sell the unsellable.

I remember watching that and wondering why they didn't go that route with E3. Then again even I was surprised to discover 95% of the gaming media thought playing a virtual piano requires you to flails your arms with no sense of timing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Your precious thread will be banished to the forgotten lands in less than twenty four hours.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Update on the Wii U trademark opposition in England. I can now safely say to 99% that the name of the console is Wii U. Nintendo and Information Technology Junction Limited appear to have come to terms (or at least will after the division of the previous trademark), and two new trade marks have been issued, as requested by ITJL, both of them are registered.

010935815, Figurative trade mark "Wii U", monochrome logo (color displayed as hex triplet #9ca5a2 (gray) in OHIM's records)

010935807, Word trade mark "Wii U"

Just input the numbers in the "Trade mark No:" field here: http://oami.europa.eu/CTMOnline/RequestManager/en_DetailCTM_NoReg

The division means that these trade marks are only filed under Nice classes 9, 16 and 28. Classes 35, 38, 41 and 42 have been removed. As I mentioned here, this could prove some problems for Nintendo in England. Nothing they can't overcome though.

The opposition for the original trade mark is still there, but I think it is just a technicality as OHIM probably hasn't had time to deal with it. We should see its withdrawal soon.

What is left now is for the Wii U trade marks in the United States to be published for opposition in the USPTO's Official Gazette. If it's going to be there before E3, publication will be on the 29th of May. Of course could there be opposition in the US as well, but now that Nintendo has the marks secured in Australia, Europe, Japan and some other territories I can't see them backing down.

abasm

That's all I really ask. Heck, I know at there are preferences, and that's fine so long as those preferences don't irreparably taint coverage. Same for the podcast element of things.. preferences are fine, I get that - but don't expect fans to hang around if it's 90% negative.

In some cases, it might behoove some sites to get a panelist or two who are as enthusiastic for Nintendo as they are for, say.. I dunno.. what do they obsess over these days? (Honestly, I don't know. I haven't really kept-up with what they (the podcasters) like these days. But surely you get catch my drift.) The last time I listened, there always seemd to be a Sony guy and a Microsoft guy or two present.

And if there isn't anyone on the PC side of things, that'd be absolutely fantastic, too.

Heck.. a Nintendo/PC old school gamer podcast would rock, now that I think of it.

As far as the whole community aspect that EatChildren mentions is concerned: it's no coincidence that I spend 90% of my time here. :)

Nintendo's greatest weakness within the press is probably also its greatest strength amongst its fans: its almost infallible track record of great games. For a journalist, Nintendo presents a known quantity--there is almost no drama to be had because, regardless of whatever bone-headed mistakes Nintendo makes on the hardware/infrastructure side, the sheer quality games will inevitably require the purchase of a system. Whereas Sony or Microsoft are utterly beholden to their third-parties, Nintendo has retained autonomy for nearly thirty years. The only other company that could have boasted such a position was Sega, and they wound up screwing themselves out of the market, which Nintendo is too savvy to do.

The only good news is bad news, and very little of it comes out of Nintendo, at least on the software side. For all the doom and gloom early in the 3DS's lifespan, once the games hit, everything became hunky-dory. Nintendo will also be turning a profit on the thing by this Christmas, when it will probably sell even better. Now that they've found their balance again, there really isn't much of a reason to pay attention. That ignorance eventually manifests itself as a sort of scorn in some circles.

Pocks

Rösti;38126547 said:
Update on the Wii U trademark opposition in England. I can now safely say to 99% that the name of the console is Wii U. Nintendo and Information Technology Junction Limited appear to have come to terms (or at least will after the division of the previous trademark), and two new trade marks have been issued, as requested by ITJL, both of them are registered.

010935815, Figurative trade mark "Wii U", monochrome logo (color displayed as hex triplet #9ca5a2 (gray) in OHIM's records)

Just input the numbers in the "Trade mark No:" field here: http://oami.europa.eu/CTMOnline/RequestManager/en_DetailCTM_NoReg

The division means that these trade marks are only filed under Nice classes 9, 16 and 28. Classes 35, 38, 41 and 42 have been removed. As I mentioned here, this could prove some problems for Nintendo in England. Nothing they can't overcome though.

The opposition for the original trade mark is still there, but I think it is just a technicality as OHIM probably hasn't had time to deal with it. We should see its withdrawal soon.

What is left now is for the Wii U trade marks in the United States to be published for opposition in the USPTO's Official Gazette. If it's going to be there before E3, publication will be on the 29th of May. Of course could there be opposition in the US as well, but now that Nintendo has the marks secured in Australia, Europe, Japan and some other territories I can't see them backing down.

Interesting that they are going with the all gray logo, as seen on the controller leak from TT.

Nibel

Your precious thread will be banished to the forgotten lands in less than twenty four hours.

Will you still be visiting us?

Rösti;38126547 said:

So, that chapter's finished then. We all knew it for some time now. Thank you for your work, Rösti!

BIG NEWS guys.

Shigeru Miyamoto has been awarded the Principe de Asturias Prize here in Spain in the Comunication and Humanities cathegory.

This was the third time he was nominated

Maybe you don't know this but this prizes are globally considered the second most important prizes in the world after the Nobel Prize

Very important news here in Spain. The award ceremony is held every year in October in Oviedo (Asturias, in the north of Spain).

I can't open a thread because I'm junior member yet maybe some of you can do it.

Just to put this into context, Google won this award in 2008.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

wow! cool video!
too bad it wasn't used to introduce the game to the world..
mistake number 2 is not letting users upload their own creations to youtube.
seeing some of the skilled performances actually makes me appreciate this game, whereas previously I thought it was a total waggle-fest.

In fact, I think I still have it sitting around unwrapped, got it as a gift once. I'll go check it out now!

TunaLover

Rösti;38126547 said:

Damn! =/
I had a little hope of a name change

HylianTom

Banned
Nintendo's greatest weakness within the press is probably also its greatest strength amongst its fans: its almost infallible track record of great games. For a journalist, Nintendo presents a known quantity--there is almost no drama to be had because, regardless of whatever bone-headed mistakes Nintendo makes on the hardware/infrastructure side, the sheer quality games will inevitably require the purchase of a system. Whereas Sony or Microsoft are utterly beholden to their third-parties, Nintendo has retained autonomy for nearly thirty years. The only other company that could have boasted such a position was Sega, and they wound up screwing themselves out of the market, which Nintendo is too savvy to do.

The only good news is bad news, and very little of it comes out of Nintendo, at least on the software side. For all the doom and gloom early in the 3DS's lifespan, once the games hit, everything became hunky-dory. Nintendo will also be turning a profit on the thing by this Christmas, when it will probably sell even better. Now that they've found their balance again, there really isn't much of a reason to pay attention. That ignorance eventually manifests itself as a sort of scorn in some circles.
There's plenty to talk about on a week-by-week basis. I mean, if several podcasts can do hour-long discussions from week to week, I don't see how 15 minutes of discussion is too high a bar to clear.

But I can't complain too loudly about that. I rather like the new arrangement Nintendo fans are making. My consternation, like I've said, mainly comes from the idea that they'd willingly turn-off a whole population of potential readers/listeners. It's gotta be a calculated move..

PPE and its twin sibling Xenon are POWER5-based. In contrast, 603 is a non-SMT, super-scalar (dual-issue) in-order, amazingly-short-pipeline, 32bit design.

Also, I would not make such bold claims about 750 being 'much more powerful' as the goals those cpu design serve are not exactly identical -- POWER5 & 6 are both about high-clock/high-throughput SMT, 750 is about limited out-of-order single threaded performance at moderate clocks.

I don't know whether to cringe or just shake my head. A single Power4 (dual core) has more transistors than the Xenon all by itself. If you look closely to the architecture of the Xenon you'll notice the basis of the architecture is Power PC 603. It's a simple in-order architecture with next to no general purpose power and full focus on floating point performance through it's VMX128 vector units and long but narrow pipeline (21 stages). So in theory you get a lot of floating point performance (76,8 GFlop/s) which practically can't be sustained but less general purpose performance than any ARMv7 or X86 (Netburst or K7) architecture clock for clock. I would to see the Xenon take on Vita's ARM Cortex A9MP in general purpose. It'll be like taking candy from a baby. Well anyway that's enough offtopic from me.

Kjellson

Rösti;38126547 said:
I can now safely say to 99% that the name of the console is Wii U
:'(

I was actually believing the console would have a different name for a while there.

However, because of the importance of the Wiimote, the name makes a little bit sense.

DrWong

Not Wii U related and I don't think it deserves a thread... But it's interesting to note that Satoru [Iwata clone] Shibata, Head of Nintendo Europe, is getting more public exposure since his last Nintendo Direct.

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2012/05/23/56835.html

Promotion still, Satoru playing Mario Tennis Open with Steffi Graf. He already did the same with Tim Henman & Greg Rusedski for Wii sport, back in 2006.
259243.jpg

So smart. So much laughs.

The one thing I notice on gaming forums is I'll see this quote:

"I have no interest in (insert game title here) but I'm glad the system is getting more support."

I saw this quote mentioned a lot whenever Grand Theft Auto 5 was mentioned as a possible title for Wii U on a lot of Nintendo forums.

What's the point about being glad for more support if Nintendo fans have no interest in those games? Just to brag about having games available for that system? I see this quote every day, and I just don't like it.

Quoting for truth.

darthdago

What if they go OK so all those components in a box for 350-400 bucks what would happen then?

My personal limit for a homeconsole was, is and will be 400,– Euros.

Long time ago I bought the PS2 (only for one game that I wanted to play that time around) for 800,– German Mark wich is 400,– Euros now.

If they put as much as they can into the box and sell it for 399,– (with a slight loss) I'wld be totally ok with it!!

But what we think we know about the console now also makes me happy!!

(I still have a deep down feeling/wishful thinking that it will be something inbetween our expectations and that "fake" leak. maybe the 2GB will be right but maybe not the 6Ghz -> maybe something around 4,1 Ghz per core with a 4 core chip. with that 4 core chip 1 is only for the OS and three are for gaming...and the GPU will be a good mixture out of 6770, GCN)

My personal limit for a homeconsole was, is and will be 400,– Euros.

Long time ago I bought the PS2 (only for one game that I wanted to play that time around) for 800,– German Mark wich is 400,– Euros now.

If they put as much as they can into the box and sell it for 399,– (with a slight loss) I'wld be totally ok with it!!

But what we think we know about the console now also makes me happy!!

(I still have a deep down feeling/wishful thinking that it will be something inbetween our expectations and that "fake" leak. maybe the 2GB will be right but maybe not the 6Ghz -> maybe something around 4,1 Ghz per core with a 4 core chip. with that 4 core chip 1 is only for the OS and three are for gaming...and the GPU will be a good mixture out of 6770, GCN)

There is no doubt in my mind that the specs won't be that high and I would gladly pay 350-400 U.S. for a strong Nintendo console I played mostly Wii this Gen and I will most likely be Wii U exclusive next Gen if I don't crack and build a PC....

I would love to see some stage time being given to big third party games like Castlevania and ACIII. Then top it off with the latest Metroid from Retro.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

darthdago

Quoting for truth.

Originally Posted by Oddduck: View Post
The one thing I notice on gaming forums is I'll see this quote:

"I have no interest in (insert game title here) but I'm glad the system is getting more support."

I saw this quote mentioned a lot whenever Grand Theft Auto 5 was mentioned as a possible title for Wii U on a lot of Nintendo forums.

What's the point about being glad for more support if Nintendo fans have no interest in those games? Just to brag about having games available for that system? I see this quote every day, and I just don't like it.

Hmmm, Nintendo dont want to get this particular Nintendo Fans that you mention, they dont want to get Nintendo Fans at all with that kind of games.
Why?
A Nintendo Fan buys the System even if there is no 3rd party support - only for the games from Nintendo.
But a Nintendo Fan who loves to play great variety of games will appriciate a good support from 3rd parties.
Like me. This Generation I had to buy the 360 beside my Wii because some games just didnt come to my Wii.
So the next generation can maybe be the first one where I only buy one console - the Wii U.

But you dont only need to mention GTA V as a game that probably some ppl are not interested in.
What about the Bass hunter games 1 to 1xxxxxx?
I dont like them at all (I love to go fishing in real life) but I know that for a console its important to have a great variety of games.

Back to the part with GTA V and the desired customers Nintendo would want to get with that.
They would want to convince the core gamers that maybe have a PS360 now and want them to buy a Wii U for next gen.

For me as a great Nintendo fan it would be amazing and I would buy it day 1!!

Thats why my standpoint is still that moneyhatting R* is a good deal at the end.
Its not only about R*.
Think about yourselfs. You are all gamers, or?
So was there ever a game that you really wanted to play and you would have kicked ass for that?
For me there were plenty of games like that in the past xx years.
So what did I do? I went and bought it as soon as I could.
And if I didnt have the console where it is on I tried to get the system too.
I wouldnt wait for six months if I really want to play a game, heck no I would do everything to play it day one.

And if that will be the case for the GTA fans (and it will be for sure) even if only 70% of them buying the WiiU cos they dont want to wait for 3 or 6 months and maybe also 10% of the Nintendo fans will buy the game, then it will be a massive victory for T2/R* and Nintendo.

BD1

Banned
I think it's reasonable to expect, at best, from a lot of third party support, maybe improved performance. By large, I think most ports will look "at least as good" as the 360/PS3 releases, and by "at least as good" I mean pretty much identical.

I agree with this, and it really doesn't matter to me. If the multi-plat games look like the HD Twins, that's fine, as long as I CAN play them on Wii U alongside the amazing looking Nintendo 1st party games.

I'm older, and crankier, and I don't want multiple consoles in my office anymore. One console,to play the Nintendo games I love and the handful of third party games I'm interested in every year, is what I want. (Plus good online)

Redford

aka Cabbie
I wonder if we're going to get any character redesigns. I mean, how do you make Mario look noticeably better than his Galaxy model without making him look different?

Mario is going to be pretty uniform. But Link I would be excited to see change. Not only return to the child-adult dynamic, but modify his identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom