• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDarkness

It's just another sub forum. Why are people but thurt about it :p

<shrug> I don't go to any sub forums. Been coming here for years now and have visited Community maybe once or twice. It's just easier for me to deal with only one place. For this site it's the gaming forum.

Instro

Community threads are pretty much dead to me for Official Topics of games, but just like the NFL and other sports threads, I will continue by usual usage for regular discussion threads.

It's only a click away guys/gals. :p

The OT community is indeed very active. I have no idea if Gaming Community has similarly thrived.

HylianTom

Banned
Next gen will be about lighting, from what I can see.
Lighting, eh?

I wonder if Nintendo has any tricks up their sleeve regarding lighting. I mean, I liked what was shown in the demos that we've seen, but color me ignorant on how it was achieved or how it'll compare to what we'll see from the others.

If you're correct, we might have to come-up with a "but.. but.. look at the lighting!" drinking game for next year's E3 festivities.

Luigison

I don't go to sub forums directly, but I periodically view the "Your Posts" section of my profile to see what's new on threads I've posted in.

BlackJace

Lighting, eh?

I wonder if Nintendo has any tricks up their sleeve regarding lighting. I mean, I liked what was shown in the demos that we've seen, but color me ignorant on how it was achieved or how it'll compare to what we'll see from the others.

If you're correct, we might have to come-up with a "but.. but.. look at the lighting!" drinking game for next year's E3 festivities.

Nintendo's been pretty good at rendering water from what I've seen. I remember being genuinely impressed by Sunshine's water.

It will be amazing if "not enough lighting" becomes the insult term considering how dark games of choice were this gen.

"Nintendo's games are too dark. I'm going back to my Xbox 8 and Playstation F, where everything is properly shiny!"

Hrm. I wonder if this board's software has some sort of "feed" plugin, a page which'd allow people to view all topics as if they were in one flat forum. The SQL query for this would be almost identical to one that generates a topic list per Forum -- in fact, it'd be slightly simpler.

edit: However, keep in mind that if you want a community thread to thrive, all you probably have to do is link back to it when you post a thread in Gaming that spawned from it.

There's an option to automatically subscribe to any thread you post in, and then all you need to do is hit the user cp link at the top of the page. I actually visit that more than any of the forum pages.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Why would you need a speculation thread once the thing has been officially re-revealed?

/Because we still won't know anything...

New Thread - New Avatar.

Maybe this next time:

Super_Grandpa_Simpson_2_by_mariobros123.jpg

Um what? You're just being lazy...
Like I said. Its a difficult click. Some people just dont go to community, some people dont want to click all over the place. I might post in there a few times especially right before E3 but other than that who knows Ill prolly just post in the threads about new news if we even get any. Now just waiting for E3 forreal.

Fredrik

Won't the move to community forum mean that there will be more WiiU threads in the gaming forum instead since most people won't bother searching the community OT's before asking about things already talked about over there?

Doesn't have to be a bad thing. I think having all the WiiU talk in one single thread is killing lots of discussions about interesting stuff that quickly disappears among the post in OT's. We'll probably see more threads about specific subjects, like the hardware, the controller, possible launch titles etc in gaming forum instead.

New Thread - New Avatar.

Maybe this next time:

Super_Grandpa_Simpson_2_by_mariobros123.jpg

Love it. Shame you couldn't get the "Old man yells at crowd" text cropped in? Just makes if all the more funny and "E3 discussion tone" appropriate. :p Famicom box Gramps is awesome too.

You beautiful genius. I'm going to spend the next 12 days rewatching every MST3K episode.

Great idea. After all, it's what Retro's employees have been doing to keep their sanity while they work on their Wii U project. ;)

bcc6d5b5.jpg

lednerg

Anyone still believe that WiiU will be demonstrably better then PS360? A generational leap?

It'll be the same with the next Xbox and PS4. Just like the start of this generation, next gen visuals are going to see a gradual evolution over time, at least for the majority of 3rd party games. With the exception of a couple 1st/2nd party efforts on the consoles, most of the games aren't going to be the kind of CGI-fests people are hyping each other about. They will start with a increase in overall detail, but otherwise be quite similar to games we've been playing for a while now. Around 3 years or so after launch, when game development cycles start to catch up, next gen graphics by and large will get to the point where the average Joe can tell for sure he's not looking at PS3 games. It's at this time when these consoles will start to shine, likely coinciding with price drops. People expecting an immediate flood of mind-blowing software from day one for the uber-HD twins are setting themselves up for a bit of a let-down. So too are the people who expect they will trounce the Wii U and render it obsolete "because of hardware". It takes a lot of time to make these sorts of jaw-dropping games.

I hope you guys are ready for me to post even less.

You've already posted more in this thread than in the last one.

Actual speculation now
Say… is NFC a host/client type of protocol, or is it more peer to peer? If you, say, slapped two Wii U controllers against each other, would they be able to detect one another, for example, or can they only detect passive devices? Not that I'm expecting for Nintendo to make a Clapping Simulator, but I am curious about the protocol itself.

Day one for Clapping Simulator if it has Miis, though. And a generous warranty replacement policy

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Well, that and why would they spend extra resources on a console that doesn't have a customer base that rivals the HD twins? Also, as Eat said, it's not worth to spend extra resources for a small uptake of customers who would buy it due to the better visuals that otherwise wouldn't buy it.

Exactly how much more resources would it take to output the game in 1080p? Or, alternatively, with superior anti-aliasing?

So am I the only one that will probably never ever use NFC...ever, except for 3 seconds to test whatever console pack-in is there to try it out with.

Coolwhip

Banned
I bet the mod that moves this thread will enjoy doing it.

"Are you sure you want to move The Wii U Speculation Thread VI to the trash bin?"

*click*

:>

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Can't you deliberate on some rules, EC & other mods, to keep the thread in the gaming section ?

The problem is people deciding not to post for weird, arbitrary and frankly silly reasons, not the decision to move it. It's one extra click away, or none if you bookmark the thread. And it is likely to consistently be on the front page of Gaming Community, like all the active threads are.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
You've already posted more in this thread than in the last one.

Actual speculation now
Say… is NFC a host/client type of protocol, or is it more peer to peer? If you, say, slapped two Wii U controllers against each other, would they be able to detect one another, for example, or can they only detect passive devices? Not that I'm expecting for Nintendo to make a Clapping Simulator, but I am curious about the protocol itself.

Day one for Clapping Simulator if it has Miis, though. And a generous warranty replacement policy

1 Year Warranty on Wii U with very small fine sentence that would claim, warranty don't cover Wii U controller.

The problem is people deciding not to post for weird, arbitrary and frankly silly reasons, not the decision to move it. It's one extra click away, or none if you bookmark the thread. And it is likely to consistently be on the front page of Gaming Community, like all the active threads are.
I wouldn't call not wanting to babysit a thread "arbitrary" or "silly". In order to keep up with this thread, you'd have to babysit it. Keep community open, refresh often, etc...And if you don't do that, you'll be forced to face the ol' catch up.

Not a big issue, expected move is expected. This isn't a series finale to some TV show where we're saying goodbyes. Just stating facts.

So am I the only one that will probably never ever use NFC...ever, except for 3 seconds to test whatever console pack-in is there to try it out with.

It depends.

I won't buy little figurines for the sake of buying them
unless they're Sergeant Cortez and related action figures
. But there might be other useful elements to NFC. Like if you have a NFC credit card and don't want to type out the number when doing an order. I haven't really put much thought into NFC, as I know comparatively little about how it works other than containing id strings for non-active objects.

Note, though, my earlier idea about using NFC and the Wii U's always-on and DD capability to allow retail shops to push their games that you buy directly onto your system "instantly".

This! People are making up horrible excuses to not post in community. I found it both sad and funny. Like EC said, click once then subscribe the thread. Not that hard...

It depends.

I won't buy little figurines for the sake of buying them
unless they're Sergeant Cortez and related action figures
. But there might be other useful elements to NFC. Like if you have a NFC credit card and don't want to type out the number when doing an order. I haven't really put much thought into NFC, as I know comparatively little about how it works other than containing id strings for non-active objects.

Note, though, my earlier idea about using NFC and the Wii U's always-on and DD capability to allow retail shops to push their games that you buy directly onto your system "instantly".
I don't know, it all sounds like a stretch. On cell phones it's MOSTLY a gimmick, even though there are some real world uses coming up, on a video game controller...it's pushing it, even for nintendo. I truly wonder if they have a lot of ideas for it, or if they are doing it for future proofing and hope they come with a good way to milk it down the line.

This! People are making up horrible excuses, to not post in community. I found it both sad and funny. Like EC said, click once then subscribe the thread. Not that hard...
and then I have to visit the subscriptions subforum on top of the 2 I already visit a whole lot, JUST to keep up with one thread. It's not sad, it's not funny. It is what it is.

lednerg

I'm hoping it comes with a card I can put in my wallet that is attached to my profile. That way I could go to a friend's house and use it to load up my settings and saves from the cloud. But yeah, the NFC toys thing isn't my cup of tea.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I wouldn't call not wanting to babysit a thread "arbitrary" or "silly". In order to keep up with this thread, you'd have to babysit it. Keep community open, refresh often, etc...And if you don't do that, you'll be forced to face the ol' catch up.

Not a big issue, expected move is expected. This isn't a series finale to some TV show where we're saying goodbyes. Just stating facts.

Which means the only reason not to visit it in community is the minimal extra effort required to keep the community tab open, rather than having it all on the one page. An argument that could (fairly) apply to every single thread in community. Or even, by extension, be made for those who don't like regularly visiting both off topic and community.

Honestly, if someone is bailing out of posting in this thread and engaging in the community just because it's shifting to the sub forum it belongs, I'd that someone wasn't really interested in the community thread to begin with beyond it being a casual convenience.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
True but I don't think it's going to be double what we have already. I'm expected more like 1.2x - 1.5x PS360 in terms of performance with maybe better texture resolutions given the expected extra memory.

So, after 7 years of hard worm and research, they'll only be able to achieve a 20% increase in performance?

How many times better do you think the xbox3 will be over 360?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
This! People are making up horrible excuses, to not post in community. I found it both sad and funny. Like EC said, click once then subscribe the thread. Not that hard...

For me, I just forget that community exist until I checked subscription. It's already in my list but I don't check Subs that much as many people do in this thread. I guess.

I guess it's an excuse. :iwatalaugh

Alternative for people who hate having to dig through multiple subforums
also too much highlight abuse, will monitor that in future

View All New Threads In All Of NeoGAF, sorted by date apparently

There you go. GAF Flat View.

edit: I just took an example search url and crammed into neogaf.com/forum, so it might need some tweaking to actually report accurate results. However, you can use the search function to display posts in this manner.

edit: Fixed so that it actually works.

I'm hoping it comes with a card I can put in my wallet that is attached to my profile. That way I could go to a friend's house and use it to load up my settings and saves from the cloud. But yeah, the NFC toys thing isn't my cup of tea.
see that's one of those things that sounds good in theory, but maybe it's just me, but that's something I'll probably rarely do, if ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom