• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're comparing one of Nintendo's worst E3s to one that's looking to be nothing like it. You sure that's the best comparison? :p

Mario-Sonic.png
That was my point. If I didn't melt down over the worst moment in Nintendo's marketing history, why would I meltdown for what could be their best?

Nibel

Other M for than randomness of Team Ninja making a Nintendo game.
Brawl, of course because Snake.

Agreeing with both of those.
Other M made me go "Wat? This will be fucking incredible". Times change :lol

And just seeing Snake as someone who played games on Nintendo consoles first and foremost back then but always admiring the MGS franchise was pretty mindblowing.

What was the last "mind-blowing" Nintendo announcement you guys can think of? Nothing matches the Twilight Princess (though it lacked a name at the time) reveal, but what has come close?

3DS software at E3 2010. A new Kid Icarus along with the sheer breadth of third-party support announced, even if not all of the latter ended up materializing.

That was my point. If I didn't melt down over the worst moment in Nintendo's marketing history, why would I meltdown for what could be their best?
Well, for most people, their worst was just "oh God this is dull and stupid Wii Music really uuuugh", while their best will be "OMG OMG THIS IS AMAZING WOW DID YOU SEE THE GRAPHICS THEY INDIVIDUALLY RENDERED EACH HAIR ON MARIO'S MUSTACHE AND RAY-TRACED THE REFLECTIONS ON LINK'S SWORD OMG CONSOLE OF THE FOREVER AND EVER!".

I dunno, just as long as we don't get out of hand, I guess.

Some convincing "mind-blowing" moments I'd say, folks. I think for me, the 3DS line up that was initially unveiled was mind-blowing in it's breadth and quality, even if some of the titles never emerged and we are still waiting for others.

I think Nintendo have a good chance at blowing us all away this year. They only need one or two HD titles which either use an unexpected new IP or a much-loved existing franchise to have that effect. I wouldn't be surprised if the real megaton was related to services/ partnerships though. I have a good feeling about the Nintendo Network...

Can you smell it ?

It's leak time !

Not something huge huh ! But it will help building some hype before E3 ! :D

Then you´d better hurry because starting next week, nothing will stop my hunger for news when the "IT´S GOING DOWN NEXT WEEEEEKKKKK!!!!" realisation kicked in!

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
it's coming in a moment, just to check something

so i wasn't teasing heh, just warning that i'll post something of mine and not a news found on the internet :)

BY2K

Membero Americo
God damn it, Ideaman.

Now watch another site or somebody else leaking it before him because he takes too long to spill it.

Even though I hate everyone collectively having high expectations (for Nintendo's sake), I agree. I'm pretty much expecting something to make my body parts twitch.

On the other hand, they brought it upon themselves... One year of near silence and not delivering in the end? Does. Not. Compute!

They wouldn´t build up this insane hype for nothing. If they did... *yikes* GAF avoiding time for at least a month!

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
So when do folks like Shiggy and Iwata and co. actually fly over to the US in order to prep for the presentation? I assume they do many conference calls in order to figure out their messaging, but surely they arrive a few days (if not a week or two) early to adjust to the time change and do run-throughs in conference rooms and studios before doing run-throughs in the theater.

If they are doing similar video gimmicks with the stage as they did last year then they definitely have scaled models (if not the actual stage pieces) and do a run through on a sound stage beforehand to make sure the projectors and video sync well with what's being projected on. I would venture to guess the production company is doing all of that now with stand-ins, with Nintendo PR team keeping tabs of everything while Reggie & the execs are slaving over the actual messaging.

All of the videos to be used in the sizzle reels are probably being put together now by third parties and sent off via FTP/dropbox to whoever at Ninty is editing together the reels next week sometime.

Jackano

What was the last "mind-blowing" Nintendo announcement you guys can think of? Nothing matches the Twilight Princess (though it lacked a name at the time) reveal, but what has come close?

Wii Fit.
DEAD serious

That was the "new Miyamoto IP" at the time, everyone wanted to see what hardcore new franchise and new characters will came 6 years after Pikmin. And bam, a balance on stage, Reggie's body gonna be ready. I was seriously mind blown, even if the game/app and accesory didn' tappeal to me, I saw how they were gonna sell a shit ton of it to a new audience.

Wii Fit.
DEAD serious

That was the "new Miyamoto IP" at the time, everyone wanted to see what hardcore new franchise and new characters will came 6 years after Pikmin. And bam, a balance on stage, Reggie's body gonna be ready. I was seriously mind blown, even if the game/app and accesory didn' tappeal to me, I saw how they were gonna sell a shit ton of it to a new audience.
Wow, was that really how it was unveiled? I totally have no memory of Miyamoto being connected to it. Maybe I blocked it out of my memory... I remember buying it, using it about 3 times, and then selling it at a nice profit because they were sold out everywhere in the UK :p

Let me guess - a scantily clad Zelda and Link is a sailor?
Nope:
-Zelda video game rights owned by Bandai and Namco
-dragon quest clone
-Nes didn't sell in US
-Snes does ok and gets a Zelda fighter
-Ocarina of time movie arc
-anime
-miyamoto joins mistwaker
- Nintendo no longer in home market, relies on Pokemon and handhelds instead

On the other hand, they brought it upon themselves... One year of near silence and not delivering in the end? Does. Not. Compute!

They wouldn´t build up this insane hype for nothing. If they did... *yikes* GAF avoiding time for at least a month!
There's definitely something big coming. Those with their ears against the ground have heard some interesting things (they just won't tell us)

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.

Celda. And before that, the Pikmin on stage demo.

DrWong

it's coming in a moment, just to check something

so i wasn't teasing heh, just warning that i'll post something of mine and not a news found on the internet :)
nnnng... ManIdea, I was just going to disconnect from GAF (and Internet) to try to go bed not too late, this time, and here you come... I'm waiting now. Please, deliver.

HylianTom

Banned

I could see a lot of folks breaking-down here, for all to see. Lots of grey. Lots of folks freely baiting and taunting.

I'd be a bit pissed, but I also would know not to give the resident haters around here the pleasure of seeing me flip-out.

MisterHero

guys they just leaked the revolution controller

it looks like a tv remote bwahwahwahwa

Cheesecakebobby said:
Wow, was that really how it was unveiled? I totally have no memory of Miyamoto being connected to it. Maybe I blocked it out of my memory... I remember buying it, using it about 3 times, and then selling it at a nice profit because they were sold out everywhere in the UK :p
Yeah the "health pack" game was one of the first projects they announced for Revolution

So when do folks like Shiggy and Iwata and co. actually fly over to the US in order to prep for the presentation? I assume they do many conference calls in order to figure out their messaging, but surely they arrive a few days (if not a week or two) early to adjust to the time change and do run-throughs in conference rooms and studios before doing run-throughs in the theater.

If they are doing similar video gimmicks with the stage as they did last year then they definitely have scaled models (if not the actual stage pieces) and do a run through on a sound stage beforehand to make sure the projectors and video sync well with what's being projected on. I would venture to guess the production company is doing all of that now with stand-ins, with Nintendo PR team keeping tabs of everything while Reggie & the execs are slaving over the actual messaging.

All of the videos to be used in the sizzle reels are probably being put together now by third parties and sent off via FTP/dropbox to whoever at Ninty is editing together the reels next week sometime.
Not sure when exactly they come out, but it's something like a few days ahead. They'll run through their conference a few times, make sure things are working., do any minor tweaks.

peter

Banned
Kid icarus wiiu could look like this:

85a814984cc2bad2e2f1c2acb3a689af.png

a89811ebfee845f9bd3dfd63b8be3324.png

e58b867a0faebaa7cf16e9df9cf95325.png

If so, i think we can still be happy about the gfx

I prefer that kind of art than instead to have something next gen like this.

xbox360_halo3_5_16.jpg

But it just depends on what you like

AzaK

They may blow people's minds with announcements but it won't be with graphics. Thats for sure.

Shit, did you some leaked info? John H has already been in and said "WOW" to some of the stuff he's seen on Wii U. And that was a reference to graphic "quality" IIRC.

There's no way some stuff won't look AMAZING on it.

There's definitely something big coming. Those with their ears against the ground have heard some interesting things (they just won't tell us)
Then again, every month we have game journalists hyping "something huge that everybody's going to be VERY EXCITE for", and then it turns out to be something incredibly mundane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom