• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfried

This is a bit un fair, as TechTV was simply unsustainable. They had a huge operation with nearly a dozen original shows including an all day "news" live broadcast every workday. The writing on the wall was written once the dot on bubble burst and the Internet and tech advertisements revenue contracted. It was too good to last.
You mean "too good for this sinful earth" but going back to Wii U...

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/25/wii-us-chances-at-e3-2012

Remind me why I visit IGN again? Good lord... UNMITIGATED GARBAGE

ibhmxGemGuCv4Z.jpg

The Last of Us picture.
Pretty sure that isn't coming to Wii U...

I... uhh... what? I don't even... what!?

HylianTom

Banned
So.. this is pretty much our last weekend before things really start to roll.

With Monday and beyond, we have people flying to LA. Crates are being hauled in. Websites are beginning to do their hypestravaganzas. Pre-E3 interviews and E3 preview articles are coming out at an accelerated pace.

This was pretty much the last boring-ish week.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
So.. this is pretty much our last weekend before things really start to roll.

With Monday and beyond, we have people flying to LA. Crates are being hauled in. Websites are beginning to do their hypestravaganzas. Pre-E3 interviews and E3 preview articles are coming out at an accelerated pace.

This was pretty much the last boring-ish week.
Tom, this weekend is not boring.

MDX

BGassasin says "tesselation" is probably one of the more modern functions of WiiU? But what about all the speculation about lighting? I'm more inclined to think it would have some sort of hardware based global illumination. Hopefully this would also mean free self-shadowing objects .

Oh for sure specular-ation. I thought Nintendo had special patents for shadowing, btw.

zroid

Banned
IGN writes shit like that because the majority of their readership is essentially the lowest common denominator of "core" gamer. In other words, people who know far less about the industry's goings-on than nearly anyone on GAF.

Once in a while, they do spit out something that resembles insight, and I've seen first-hand how their readers tend to respond. The comments are filled with "No one cares" and "This isn't news", and so forth.

It's outrageously sad what IGN increasingly becomes as its size continues to grow.

but the guy doesn't act like he knows anything does he

just seems like a random pointless article for clickz, but nothing offensive.

Basically that article boils down to not being enthused about Nintendo's E3 showing because...

It's underpowered (pure conjecture)
Its lineup will be inferior for third parties (launch window, doesn't have the install base to support it)
It won't be able to compete with the other manufacturer's exclusive lineups for attention (guaranteed bullshit)
Doesn't like the tablet controller (his problem)

So yeah,it actually IS pretty offensive.

abasm

The more I think about it, the more the radical change in Nintendo's E3 presence from 2006 (swagger) and 2008 (soccer mom) feels attributable to two factors:

- Nintendo being utterly gobsmacked by the success of their blue ocean strategy after years of floundering in the "core" market with the N64 and GameCube. ("Well, I guess this is our market now.")

- The massive shake-up in E3's structure. The supposed "fixes" nearly killed the event at the time; since, the ESA has seemingly found a more reasonable middle-ground between chaos and restraint.

2009 marked a turning point where Nintendo was dipping its toes back into the "core" end of the pool, followed by 2010 when they practically dove in. I'd like to think that, since the restructuring of the event and Nintendo's experiences with the "tides" of their blue ocean, we won't ever see another E3 showing as catastrophic as '08. Nintendo devotees are an extremely stable market and where their powerful word-of-mouth begins. If anything, they'll need to kick ass yet again at this E3 to launch the Wii U successfully, since they've lost a lot of mindshare on the console side of things.

If anything, I'm convinced that showing the Wii U early was part of their plan for this year. We aren't the only ones who have been stewing over the system in this time, and the hype is spilling over. If they can make good on it, even a little, this might be an E3 for the ages.

And hey, if they don't, at least it's an HD Nintendo console. Finally!

Er, I don't know any Wollans, so to whom might you be referring?

Eh? You've never heard of the GAFfer called Wollan? Well I guess he's been banned a while, but dude was kinda a legend on here, he was the guy who made the coloured outline dudes meme, and he got his name in Killzone 2.

At worst, I thought he'd be fired and blacklisted from the industry, but I didn't think Nintendo'd go after him.

He broke a legally binding contract... Of course he's going to court. I doubt the fine will be too harsh, but let this be a lesson.
Don't fuck with NDAs.

Instro

I'd assume its more for show than anything else, if they do take him to court. It's not like there's money in it for Nintendo. It'll probably cost him thousands though.

NBtoaster

Basically that article boils down to not being enthused about Nintendo's E3 showing because...

It's underpowered (pure conjecture)
Its lineup will be inferior for third parties (launch window, doesn't have the install base to support it)
It won't be able to compete with the other manufacturer's exclusive lineups for attention (guaranteed bullshit)
Doesn't like the tablet controller (his problem)

So yeah,it actually IS pretty offensive.

It doesn't mention the consoles power at all, makes no subjective comments on the controller, and simply, accurately says that the console will need third party support and comparable quality exclusives to compete and live up to E3 expectations.

And even if it did say those things, finding it "offensive" is ridiculous.

onilink88

He broke a legally binding contract... Of course he's going to court. I doubt the fine will be too harsh, but let this be a lesson.
Don't fuck with NDAs.

I'd assume its more for show than anything else, if they do take him to court. It's not like there's money in it for Nintendo. It'll probably cost him thousands though.

That's precisely why I didn't think they'd take him to court.

Eh? You've never heard of the GAFfer called Wollan? Well I guess he's been banned a while, but dude was kinda a legend on here, he was the guy who made the coloured outline dudes meme, and he got his name in Killzone 2.

Haven't been around long enough to know any of the, uh, "celebrities" 'round these parts. :p

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Ehh.. I had to promise that this will be the next TV we get for a decade. Kinda surprised that it worked this easily.
You're a nice guy Tom, I'm not surprised. I'm sure if you wanted a new tv in 5-7 years they wouldn't care. Btw excuse my intrusion upon your personal matters lol I'm not fully sober ATM.

Well, she basically said (I'm paraphrasing) that she was too old for Mario's cartoony graphics. It was the premise that she could be too old/"mature" for it, which is bollocks, as far as I'm concerned.

Exactly. Any millimeter size shred of credibility she had went out the window and at that point she was officially nothing more than a paid troll. I'm amazed there's folks in here who actually enjoy watching and listening to her. She's completely representative of everything there is that's fake about videogame "journalism" and it pleases me to no end that G4 wasn't chosen to air the conference.

It doesn't mention the consoles power at all, makes no subjective comments on the controller, and simply, accurately says that the console will need third party support and comparable quality exclusives to compete and live up to E3 expectations.

And even if it did say those things, finding it "offensive" is ridiculous.

First paragraph much?

The article is just another armchair analysis chock full of backhanded insults. It's not like I'm super up in arms about it but I do want my click and 15 minutes back.

In regards to the guy that leaked the new DRC design:

Yikes. Feel sorry for the guy, though.

***Sorry if old***
Are we sure this tweeter didn't get that info from GAF? Someone around here was saying the same thing, but didn't mention where he had heard it.

I don't feel sorry for him, he blatantly broke his NDA. If he didn't realize he was doing it, then he shoulda read the NDA a lot more closely. I'm actually glad for once one of these leakers is getting punished for it, you know if every company did this we'd have a lot less leaks in all industries.

HylianTom

Banned
You're a nice guy Tom, I'm not surprised. I'm sure if you wanted a new tv in 5-7 years they wouldn't care. Btw excuse my intrusion upon your personal matters lol I'm not fully sober ATM.

Haha.. thanks, and no worries. I'd be intoxicated with you if I weren't on call this weekend. But I have some goodies set-aside for E3 Week, oh yes.. we're gonna have a grand time!

NBtoaster

First paragraph much?

The article is just another armchair analysis chock full of backhanded insults. It's not like I'm super up in arms about it but I do want my click and 15 minutes back.

It's saying before E3 2011 there were reports of "a console that wouldn’t necessarily dominate current gen competition, but would more than match it – and likely exceed it significantly in time." which is true. It doesn't call it underpowered. It accurately says the e3 2011 reveal was rough, and now they have a lot to live up to. It's not insulting anything.

she said it was insulting playing it as an adult because of how much it is aimed for kids
If she was talking about the gameplay, I kinda-sorta agree, though not to that extent. I found the first Mario Galaxy so incredibly easy it was boring. I understand it gets a lot more challenging once you beat the game, but it was just a long slog to get through it, I had stop when I was about 3/4 of the way done.

I found Mario Sunshine a whole lot more fun, and liked most of its music better too (it seemed to fit the game better).

Zenaku

I feel a little sorry for that QA tester if he's been fired. I'm pretty sure we had someone claim analogue sticks before his picture, and we'd likely have the patents showing the layout had been changed anyway; his picture gave us no information we wouldn't already have just days later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom