• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
How random lol. So should we expect 1.5 or 2GB of RAM though.

I still lean toward 2GB.

SO it's about OpenGL 3 or 4? I know the r700 series didn't really support OpenGL 4 but with increased capability, I'm just not sure.

It's based on ES 2.0 from what I remember.

Specs are the least interesting thing to me right now. We're 45 minutes from seeing actual GAMES!!!!!

Haha. Plus they are the early specs anyway so it's not like it's megaton-level news.

Whoa, whoa...

I came back here first time since yesterday to find that the Microsoft and Sony conferences have already happened? Didn't Sony and MS used to wait till E3 actually started to do those?
I know I didn't just imagine Sony's conference traditionally happening on the same day as Nintendo's..

My non-specific action figure is ready.

Mistle

Stage looks pretty intimate compared to previous 2 years.

I've been watching Seinfeld to pass time... One more episode, then I'll be back here for the pre-conference countdown

treason

my predictions

reggie shows off a new function of the controler . it will be like the kinect or sony eye

new metroid prime or hunters game using unreal engine or cryengine

castlevania

starfox retro

sonic kart raCING

monolith new rpg

watch dogs

bunch of ea games

mario of course , battle mii , shield pose

smash bros teaser

epic mickey

crysis ...as a matter of fact every big ea ttitle will come to the wii u . deadspace , bio shock etc. same thing will happen with capcom and konami ... and square

idwl

Can someone please inbox me or tell me here where I could watch the conference after it happens. Something just came up and I won't be able to watch it live. So I need a spoiler free link. I will be indebted to you

Donnie

In an unexpected turn of events right before the conference, someone has leaked full details of the early target specs. And I've just been sent the link. Have fun Tech-GAF. :)

http://www.vgleaks.com/world-premiere-wii-u-specs/

And based on some of what I was told I can tell these are legit.

Wow, no wonder a lot of devs had no idea what the actual power of the system would be. No frequencies, bandwidth, ALU, ROP info, really all they had to go on was how the system was performing with the code they were putting into it.

If I was talented, I'd make a gif of Olimar throwing a Pikmin out of an area labeled "Conference Thread" and into an area labeled Speculation Thread.

I'm excited, but trying to not expect too much with their WiiU software reveal.

Nintendo is generally pretty conservative with their software reveals, tending to only show games that are coming out in the near future. That would essentially rule out a 3D Mario, Smash Bros. and Zelda from the outset, since we already have a 2D Mario for the system, Smash won't come out for years and Zelda only came out last year for Wii. You can probably count out Kid Icarus too.

Then there's all its other IPs. We might see Kirby, but that itself has received three entries in the past two years. Metroid hasn't been able to maintain its popularity since its revival in 2002. F-Zero is virtually dead in the water. Same goes for Mother.

Which means I can really only be confident about a few franchises being shown off. Namely Pikmin, 2D Mario, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing and maybe Mario Kart. Which isn't bad at all, but it wouldn't be OMG huge.

Hence why I'm really hoping for some surprises, whether that be new IPs or dead franchise revivals (ie F-Zero).

tkscz

I still lean toward 2GB.

It's based on ES 2.0 from what I remember.

Haha. Plus they are the early specs anyway so it's not like it's megaton-level news.

API incompatibilities between the desktop series and OpenGL ES 2.0 persisted until OpenGL 4.1 added GL_ARB_ES2_-compatibility.

Quoted from Wikipedia. If I'm to understand this right, ES 2.0 is compatible with API code from OpenGL 4.1 and up? I mean, it has a dedicated tessilator, so that is no longer my worry. And it supports some pretty HIGH high-res textures. Along with the ability to do 16x anisotropic filtering and 4x MSAA, that's pretty damned ahead of this gen.

FyreWulff

a9cf31deaf2011e1b10e123138105d6b_7.jpg

I feel like I'm at the movie theater!

I really hope Retro's next game is shown, and that it's not a DKCR2.

It'd hardly be a disaster if it was though. Can never have too many platformers, particularly not those with as much brilliance as DKCR.

I'm actually expecting to see some kind of DK game, whether it be from Retro or not. It's been two years since Returns and that game basically revitalised the series into the sales-monster it was in the 16-bit era.

jaypah

Hey WUST-GAF, I've read all of your threads beginning to end and though I rarely posted it's been fun getting hyped with you guys from the other side of the monitor. I hope that the conference is so good that you'll find that your bodies, despite what you thought, were not ready. Cheers!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm torn between using the Nintendo stream or the Gametrailers one. The GT live feedback is rather interesting to watch. :p

Hey WUST-GAF, I've read all of your threads beginning to end and though I rarely posted it's been fun getting hyped with you guys from the other side of the monitor. I hope that the conference is so good that you'll find that your bodies, despite what you thought, were not ready. Cheers!

Welcome and join the party.

Linkhero1

My expectations for conference:

Open up with Retro's Game
NSMB Wii U
Pikmin 3
Wii U ____ Titles
Third party games I don't care for
Third party games I might care for
Third party games I do care for
Close with 3D Mario in all it's HD Glory

Status