• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Winds of Change

What are going to be the big betrayals, or the big partnerships of Next-Gen? Here are a few I think are likely.

Square Enix and Nintendo

We can already see this happening as we speak. Square is planning to release two games on the Wii in the first 6 Months of the systems life. They only had one game released on the Gamecube. I know that there are still many titles like Final Fantasy 13 still going to the PS3, but I think the Wii will most likely get the next Kingdom Hearts game, the next Dragon Quest game, and maybe even an RPG with Nintendo and Square members. Ofcourse I think Microsoft is again going to get the short end of the stick unless they somehow sell some systems in Japan soon.

Sega and Nintendo

It should have been last gen, but Microsoft paid the big bucks and got over 10 exclusive games on the Xbox from Sega. Most of Sega's games have appeal to the same market as Nintendo's, so it seems like a no-brainer. Though Sega seems to be only giving moderate support so far, or atleast no better than the Gamecube support.

Capcom (Sony and Microsoft)

As a firm believer in the Capcom Curse, I don't think more support to Sony and Microsoft is a good thing, but they do seem to make quite good games. Lost Planet and Dead Rising are both excellent looking games for the 360, and there is also Monster Hunter 3 and Devil May Cry 4 for the PS3. Then there is Resident Evil 5 for both systems. The Gamecube was well supported by Capcom, getting many Resident Evil games, and 3-4 timed exclusive games like Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2, and Resident Evil 4. Before then they supported the Saturn and Dreamcast also, we all know what happened to them.

Those will be the 3 major ones I think, but there definitely will be more.

I dunno about Sega, it seems like their software studios have kinda fallen apart (Sonic Team?). They also I think missed a big oppurtunity on the GameCube ... Sega really could've cleaned up on the GC.

Kingdom Hearts will stay with Sony IMO.

But a Nintendo-Square-Enix RPG + Dragon Quest IX on the Wii I could see happening.

Amir0x

Banned
why did you list Lair under the SquareEnix section :lol

Anyway, you're taking an awfully big leaps in faith

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Stopsign said:
What are going to be the big betrayals, or the big partnerships of Next-Gen? Here are a few I think are likely.

Square Enix and Nintendo

We can already see this happening as we speak. Square is planning to release two games on the Wii in the first 6 Months of the systems life. They only had one game released on the Gamecube. I know that there are still many titles like Final Fantasy 13 and Lair still going to the PS3, but I think the Wii will most likely get the next Kingdom Hearts game, the next Dragon Quest game, and maybe even an RPG with Nintendo and Square members. Ofcourse I think Microsoft is again going to get the short end of the stick unless they somehow sell some systems in Japan soon.

Not to mention that Black Mage, White Mage AND moogle are in Mario 3 on 3 Basketball.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Stopsign said:
WhaCapcom (Sony and Microsoft)

As a firm believer in the Capcom Curse, I don't think more support to Sony and Microsoft is a good thing, but they do seem to make quite good games. Lost Planet and Dead Rising are both excellent looking games for the 360, and there is also Monster Hunter 3 and Devil May Cry 4 for the PS3. Then there is Resident Evil 5 for both systems. The Gamecube was well supported by Capcom, getting many Resident Evil games, and 3-4 timed exclusive games like Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2, and Resident Evil 4. Before then they supported the Saturn and Dreamcast also, we all know what happened to them.

Anyone who thinks the Gamecube failed because Capcom heavily supported it is insane.

Stopsign said:

Square Enix and Nintendo

We can already see this happening as we speak. Square is planning to release two games on the Wii in the first 6 Months of the systems life. They only had one game released on the Gamecube. I know that there are still many titles like Final Fantasy 13 still going to the PS3, but I think the Wii will most likely get the next Kingdom Hearts game, the next Dragon Quest game, and maybe even an RPG with Nintendo and Square members. Ofcourse I think Microsoft is again going to get the short end of the stick unless they somehow sell some systems in Japan soon.

Sega and Nintendo

It should have been last gen, but Microsoft paid the big bucks and got over 10 exclusive games on the Xbox from Sega. Most of Sega's games have appeal to the same market as Nintendo's, so it seems like a no-brainer. Though Sega seems to be only giving moderate support so far, or atleast no better than the Gamecube support.

Capcom (Sony and Microsoft)

so what you are saying is that you love Nintendo?

BlueTsunami said:
Anyone who thinks the Gamecube failed because Capcom heavily supported it is insane.

No, but Capcom always seems to pick the wrong system.

Could have sworn that SE was doing Lair with Factor 5. I didn't think Sony was actually publishing it.

keanerie

Kingdom Hearts Wii? Nomura seems pretty committed to PS3 at least it seems like it in some interviews I've read. Maybe some spin-off Donald/Goofy adventure, but the next real KH game? Seems highly doubtful to me.

TheJollyCorner said:
so what you are saying is that you love Nintendo?

I'll admit that I have a certain bias for them. :)

I just think those will be Nintendo's main supporters, maybe Ubisoft also. Other than those 3 I don't think the Wii will get shit from other 3rd Parties.

Amir0x

Banned
Also, while i agree DQIX and KH may go Wii exclusive down the line, I don't think anything we've seen yet that SquareEnix has actually committed to the system can be interpreted as "we already are seeing this happen as we speak."

Wii gets 2 spin offs, one from the crap DQ Swords series and one a sequel in a mediocre FF spin off series not related to the numbered FF titles. And PS3 gets SquareEnix's biggest worldwide franchise AND a direct spin-off in said franchise w/ FFvsXIII.

Now even if those 2 games from SquareEnix turn out good - and they might just - it'll still need a bit more than that to say 'we're already seeing this happen as we speak.' Otherwise, what we've seen from PS3 indicates it would be going the other way based on evidence.

Amir0x said:
Also, while i agree DQIX and KH may go Wii exclusive down the line, I don't think anything we've seen yet that SquareEnix has actually committed to the system can be interpreted as "we already are seeing this happen as we speak."

Wii gets 2 spin offs, one from the crap DQ Swords series and one a sequel in a mediocre FF spin off series not related to the numbered FF titles. And PS3 gets SquareEnix's biggest worldwide franchise AND a direct spin-off in said franchise w/ FFvsXIII.

Now even if those 2 games from SquareEnix turn out good - and they might just - it'll still need a bit more than that to say 'we're already seeing this happen as we speak.' Otherwise, what we've seen from PS3 indicates it would be going the other way based on evidence.

2 Games is better than what the Gamecube got, and the Wii hasn't even launched yet.

Amir0x

Banned
Stopsign said:
2 Games is better than what the Gamecube got, and the Wii hasn't even launched yet.

yes and Xbox got 0 SquareEnix games last gen, and they're getting at least 3 now on 360! THE WINDS OF CHANGE! ;)

SquareEnix got into Nintendo game late because they wanted to get in on GBA. It had nothing to do with betrayalatons. It is only logical that since they'd be in on the ground level for Wii, they'd now be able to show some support - but said support does not even come remotely close to indicating what you're suggesting.

Amir0x said:
yes and Xbox got 0 SquareEnix games last gen, and they're getting at least 3 now on 360! THE WINDS OF CHANGE! ;)

SquareEnix got into Nintendo game late because they wanted to get in on GBA. It had nothing to do with betrayalatons. It is only logical that since they'd be in on the ground level for Wii, they'd now be able to show some support - but said support does not even come remotely close to indicating what you're suggesting.

Maybe it's the soft breeze of change right now then? :)

Symytry

I can't see Square moving Kingdom Hearts to the Wii at all... It will most likely stay with Sony unless the Wii outsells it 50 - 1 (which won't happen).

Top Bottom