• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
epmode said:
Do you even need to register before launching? I only thought that was for patches.

Yes, you have to do a 1 time activation.

poisonelf

epmode said:
Do you even need to register before launching? I only thought that was for patches.
It says I need to "activate the game from the launcher". The only option I see is to register, nothing about activation... don't know.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow, the presentation is amazing.

Geralt seems to control much more natural with the gamepad. WASD just doesn't feel right, it's hard to explain but he doesn't move around like he did in TW1. I haven't tried combat yet but so far gamepad seems to be the way to go.

I'm running it on high with my GTX460 and I was getting about 30~FPS so I had to drop a few settings to get it running smooth. But then I just said 'fuck it' and turned off FRAPS cuz honestly I don't give a shit about any of that right now.

later

As much as I love PC gaming and would consider it my traditional home, I can't help but laugh in threads about PC exclusives when page after page is dedicated to people's installation and setup woes.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
knitoe said:
Still an hour to go. Can't wait to see how my crossfire 6970 does in uber settings on 1920X1080. Does this game use PhysX? Got a 9800GT coming this Friday for that.

From what I've read the game doesn't support CF out the gate.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I only have a Core 2 Duo @ 3.16 Ghz, 4GB ram and a GTX285 and so far I get 30-60fps on High spec 720p and no other tweaks. I'm sure it will get more demanding in places but at least there's room to reduce settings like motion blur and depth of field which I don't care much about anyway. The initial scenes don't seem to be of relatively low complexity either, outside the small interior spaces (where it hits 60 fps). So far I'm happy with the performance.

Great. Starting to regret choosing gog.com as a means to support them already. "Connection to the server could not be established".
Because that never happens with any other service huh? Steam servers too busy to handle your request? Nope, never! It sucks you can't play, but shit happens.

poisonelf

Great. Starting to regret choosing gog.com as a means to support them already. "Connection to the server could not be established".

jackdoe

Haha. I personally went with boxed copy, so I'll get it tomorrow with release date delivery. And I have L.A. Noire to keep me occupied.

kage

LAUNCHER problems:

"Activation and playing the game will be possible:
- at 00:01 on the night of May 15-16 for the Polish Collector's Edition
- at 00:01 UTC on May 17 for the Premium Edition
- at 09:01 UTC on May 17 for the digital editions

If you attempt to run the game before the dates given above the program will close without any warning immediately after entering the Product Activation Code."

http://en.thewitcher.com/support/faq/#t4

8:13 AM UTC right now....

Wtf....

EDIT: Ok turning off fullscreen worked.

raphier

Banned
what the hell, I can't launch the installed as it says bin is too big for notepad to open, wut?
I guess I need to open it in "traditional" way?

Edit: nevermind, opening installer manually worked.

Luthos

Alextended said:
I only have a Core 2 Duo @ 3.16 Ghz, 4GB ram and a GTX285 and so far I get 30-60fps on High spec 720p and no other tweaks. I'm sure it will get more demanding in places but at least there's room to reduce settings like motion blur and depth of field which I don't care much about anyway. The initial scenes don't seem to be of relatively low complexity either, outside the small interior spaces (where it hits 60 fps). So far I'm happy with the performance.
Great to hear, because if there was one drawback to my system, it's my core 2 duo.

Running at between 30 and 60 fps here at 1920x1080 on a 5970 here, it's obviously not really optimized for crossfire as it's fluctuating madly and hardly anything is changing on the screen all that much.

Will get to a save point and change a few settings, see how much it changes and see how much that changes the frame rate but overall this game doesn't seem too affected by a 30fps frame rate and it just looks stunningly amazing really.

What an amazing looking piece of work, I'm absolutely impressed! Triss is beautiful - I love red heads.

So, I was hoping not to dip under 30fps at all, but when I do I can't really notice it that much (and I'm usually very sensitive to frame dips) so I'm glad about that.

Will sit down properly and play for an hour or so and report back later.

SO excited - gonna love this boys and girls :D :D :D

jersoc

ok, wtf am i missing at the fucking dragon part. I have replayed this like 9 god damn times and I just keep getting killed. i mean wtf, this is the start of the game. I can't even potions or anything yet.

Shake Appeal said:
As much as I love PC gaming and would consider it my traditional home, I can't help but laugh in threads about PC exclusives when page after page is dedicated to people's installation and setup woes.

What woes, I haven't had a game that wouldn't install and play in years.
Click the exe, click next 4 times, click the shortcut, profit. (or with steam you don't have to do anything at all).

People are just trying to beat the activation time or in one case moving files around on their pc without knowing how to work the downloader program.

Gt5 took almost 2 hours to install , patch and get running on my ps3 and psn has been down for weeks but those don't count right?

Dmax3901

jersoc said:
ok, wtf am i missing at the fucking dragon part. I have replayed this like 9 god damn times and I just keep getting killed. i mean wtf, this is the start of the game. I can't even potions or anything yet.

Meme?

elwes

To anybody that has installed the game...

...how the hell do I use potions?

There is no "keyboard controls" screen in the options menu to tell me what everything does. I'm trying to heal Geralt via the inventory screen, but no matter what I do with my healing potions, I cannot seem to actually heal him.

My CE has just been delivered and I'm sitting back with a nice hot coffee and having a read of the artbook while I'm waiting for the game to install. The artbook is fucking awesome by the way. This is the way to wake up in the morning! Shame I'm only going to have time to play for about an hour before I have to go out.

Zeliard said:
I am a hero to you all, fellow inverted warriors. This works.

I GOTS MY INVERT. Time to get lost in this.

Ah good man, thanks for posting! Yeah, just read the last 2 pages, can't believe there's not invert mouse option in the menu.

ColeTheMole said:
world map has boobs in it :lol

I can confirm that this important observation is true!

pahamrick

ColonialRaptor said:
Running at between 30 and 60 fps here at 1920x1080 on a 5970 here, it's obviously not really optimized for crossfire as it's fluctuating madly and hardly anything is changing on the screen all that much.

Will get to a save point and change a few settings, see how much it changes and see how much that changes the frame rate but overall this game doesn't seem too affected by a 30fps frame rate and it just looks stunningly amazing really.

What an amazing looking piece of work, I'm absolutely impressed! Triss is beautiful - I love red heads.

So, I was hoping not to dip under 30fps at all, but when I do I can't really notice it that much (and I'm usually very sensitive to frame dips) so I'm glad about that.

Will sit down properly and play for an hour or so and report back later.

SO excited - gonna love this boys and girls :D :D :D

Same, at first I was getting a rock solid 60fps but once things opened up it fluctuates pretty crazily between 30 and 60. I haven't dropped below 30 yet, so I can't complain considering everything is maxed with ubersampling off.

jersoc said:
ok, wtf am i missing at the fucking dragon part. I have replayed this like 9 god damn times and I just keep getting killed. i mean wtf, this is the start of the game. I can't
even potions or anything yet.

I had the same problem, I think it's just timing. Don't wait too long under the first barricade or you'll get roasted, but don't run straight out if the dragon's right there. I didn't have a problem once I got to the gate itself. Turning down the difficulty might help if it annoys you too much.

Potions: Can only be used in meditation. Hold control to bring up the menu, and select the meditation option in the middle. Can't be done in combat of course. You don't so much heal your wounds in battle as you take potions to increase your health regen before tough fights.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking awesome game so far, but I need to get some sleep.

I'm running a i5 2500k @ 3.3ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon 5870 1GB on Windows 7 and the game runs quite well. Probably 40-60fps depending on the area with occasional dips into the 30s. I am playing it with default Ultra settings except I turned off Ubersampling and turned up the textures to the maximum setting.

I really love the atmosphere so far. I spent a bunch of time just strolling around the camp in the beginning and I love the attention to detail. So lively! I'm also liking the changes to the combat; it's quite challenging on normal.

Anyway, off to bed for me!

Oh yeah, does anyone know how arm wrestling works? How do you move the icon thing to your advantage?

tanuki

Hey guys,

In the User config file

IK_Pad_RightAxisX=(GameKey="GI_AxisRightX",Value=1)
IK_Pad_RightAxisY=(GameKey="GI_AxisRightY",Value=1)

Change the Value to -1 to invert the axis for gamepads. :)

Hawk269

Yeah, well Uber Sampling is out of the question for me as well. I posted my specs a while back and was ridiculed when asked if I would be able to run Uber sampling with my setup and well, to those that said I could, you were wrong, way wrong.

Specs:

Sandy Bridge 2600k OC to 4.5
2xSLI 580's OC to 875 on the Core
8 GIgs of Ram.

With everything to max, I mean everything, plus Uber Sampling, I get around 35-40 in the intro, 30 or so in the intro "in-game" cinematics and finally gameplay, an average of about 20-25 or so.

Turning Uber off and everything left to Max, I am 60FPS in Cinematics, 60FPS in "in-game" cinematics and in game play, it flutuates between 50-60fps. I have Vsync on, so that locks the cap to 60fps, but it shows in fraps 61-62 at times. I have not made it to a heavly populated area, but so far I am averaging about 55fps or so, like I said, it does go to 50fps at times, just running around.

But, yeah Uber even with 580's in SLI is a no go. Here are some stats on the cards while in-game:

GPU Usage GPU1: 75 at the highest, avg of about 48 or so.**
GPU USage GPU2: Same as above **
Memory Usage: 955-965 of the 1.5GB on the cards
Heat: 73c on the top card/67 on the bottom card.

** Under "Uber" settings, the GPU's were at 98% on both for usage, even with that much horsepower, I was getting 20-25 in actual in-game and at almost 100% usage.

Yes, SLI is working for those that are wondering as both of my cards are being used together and at the same usage in ultra or uber settings.

So all in all, I think when they said a 590 for Uber, I think they meant 2 590's as 2x580's beat out 1 single 590...so yeah, that would be a beast and beyond of a rig to get this game at 60fps in uber settings.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I'll ask again since I got drowned in the sea of setup errors.

Will the ultra preset have all other settings ( except, AA, resolution and uber ofc ) on max?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom