• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Grymm

Banned
Hmmm, perhaps I should've asked for anyone in North America (or using an NA copy despite living elsewhere for some reason), unless that IS what you're using.

Yup US retail. I havent played in a long time before tonight but I remember the opening slideshows having like... 6 different slides on that yellowish dna type background. Now they're all in one linked cinema instead of slides and they move very quick. Nvidia- dolby-bandainamco- red engine- cdprojekt red - new cinema- main menu. It's definitely a lot different than before and much less annoying now.

Zeliard

You downloading from GOG or Steam? You try redeeming your Steam key in GOG's Witcher 2 page? Worked for my retail copy and I'm downloading of GOG now. Have pulled down almost 7GB in about 25 minutes.

I purchased it through GOG.

When I try to open the launcher to download it through there, the launcher just hangs. :/

So odd.

Just gonna redownload it manually again; it's going at 3 mb/s so it's fast enough. Just hope it doesn't become corrupted again.

Eusis

Yup US retail. I havent played in a long time before tonight but I remember the opening slideshows having like... 6 different slides on that yellowish dna type background. Now they're all in one linked cinema instead of slides and they move very quick. Nvidia- dolby-bandainamco- red engine- cdprojekt red - new cinema- main menu. It's definitely a lot different than before and much less annoying now.
Ahhh, huh. Guess they just stuck with the same patch for everyone, makes me SORT OF glad I stuck with GOG just so I'd see them in the opening crawl instead.

nataku

Is there a reason why I can't set Steam to "Always keep this game up to date" for The Witcher 2?

The EE isn't going to auto update without that enabled, will it?

Yes, sorry should have mentioned that. It was more a demonstration of the lighting differences. It is definitely I personal preference (in terms of preferred lighting), but I think the 360 versions lighting looks fantastic and I'm sort of jealous... :)

Edit: So the PC version doesn't get the improved textures either (at least in the case of the Nekker)?

To me the 360 lighting looks more natural even though it lack some effects. I expected to see that lighting made even better with the PC's effects. As nice as it is the PC version lighting is very fake looking, along with the crappy shadows it's sort of underwhelming going back to it.

scitek

Start the game, launcher will alert you to download the rest of the patch. Make sure its pointed at the right folder.
After that, launcher will install everything.

Huh, the game just launches. No indicator of a new patch.

EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot I have the Steam shortcut pointing straight to the game's exe and not the launcher.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck... I preloaded all of the files (GOG version) and just downloaded the last bit now. I try to install and I get "D:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\The Witcher 2\CookedPC\pack0.dzip An error occurred while trying to copy a file: The source file is corrupted." message.

What do?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Is there a reason why I can't set Steam to "Always keep this game up to date" for The Witcher 2?

Mine's always been set to that, and started downloading the update on my home PC while I was away at work. It was 50% done when I got home.

Zeliard

Fuck... I preloaded all of the files (GOG version) and just downloaded the last bit now. I try to install and I get "D:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\The Witcher 2\CookedPC\pack0.dzip An error occurred while trying to copy a file: The source file is corrupted." message.

What do?

Yep, I got the same exact thing.

Probably gotta re-download the whole thing.

Aeana

What do?

Go to http://en.thewitcher.com/ee_manual/ and download parts 1 and 2 and replace the ones you've already downloaded with those, then run the patcher again.

Eusis

Does the 360 version have horrible back and forth disc switching or just once?
Given the way the game's structured I IMAGINE it's a one time switch, but they may've done something weird like Bioware did with ME2 where you had the game mostly in two halves... then got kicked to Disc 1 for the finale.

Salaadin

Huh, the game just launches. No indicator of a new patch.

EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot I have the Steam shortcut pointing straight to the game's exe and not the launcher.

What version? Retail or GOG launcher should be alerting you to a new EE patch.

How to fix the EE install error:
http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/29080-how-to-fix-ee-install-error-look-here/

Teknoman

So if I redownload the GOG backup version, it should be the EE right?

Asking because the bonus content states The Witcher 2 version 2.0 autopatcher as being part of the package.

kamspy

It's been so hard to fight the urge to play this game just from patch hype. Happy I waited.

I thank Max Payne 2 at 1440x1080 (original 4:3 AR) 32xCSAA and 8 X SGSSAA. A beautiful thing.

But now once this beefy thing downloads I'll be firing up TW2 for my first full play through. First time I got distracted 3/4 the way through, when I went back to finish it I decided to replay the whole thing and there was always a patch on the horizon that made it worth waiting. Then distraction after distraction just kept me away from sinking into it.

I think my wait is over.

tauke

Which method is much more faster for downloading? GOG direct links or the GOG downloader?

I'm getting a good 4-5MBps using GOG downloader only for it to drop to 80KBps right now for the past 10 minutes. I'm not in a hurry but appreciate input from others if the direct links is much more stable with the speed.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That fix posted by Aeana appears to be working. I'm still installing, but I got past the previously problematic pack0.dzip

Quick

Banned
I pulled the trigger. Pre-ordered it and I'll be picking it up tomorrow - excite!

It also came with a keychain, it looks badass, but I don't think I'll be putting it on my key. It looks painful.

ss_lemonade

Hmm, its been some time since I last played this. Using a 360 pad, has the controls always been this sluggish? Seems some of the menus require you to tap the dpad twice just to register a button press.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
My install seems to be borked. No graphics show up for me. I'll just uninstall and wait for the SSDs I ordered and install fresh off the back up copy

ironcreed

Banned
Just played for a little over three hours until I got to Flotsam. Quite a long intro with King Foltest until you get to Chapter 1, and what an intro it is. Just the presentation and the way the story is told is fantastic, and I can already see just from all of the requirements with signs, oils, traps, bombs, and potions that the gameplay is going to be a deep well of win once I get further into the game. Consoles needed a game like this. It is obvious straight away that it is the real deal.

Steam always updates a game when you start it. Always keep up to date being off only blocks it from updating on its own.

ironcreed

Banned
when you get a chance check for me if the vibration works. i'm having problems getting anything to cause the 360 controller to vibrate.

I felt rumble in the tutorial when I got incinerate cast on me. That is the only time I have felt it so far, I think.

gdt

Of course, corrupted file. But now, I can't at all find where the preload files are/were moved too. I have a TW2EE file, but I don't know where to put that part two folder. I have no problem just redownloading everything while I sleep, but I'd like to erase the corrupt stuff first.

I'm playing with a Dual Shock 3 via motionjoy and I liked how Geralt controls but are you really forced to use the keyboard to switch signs and stuff?

Aeana

Of course, corrupted file. But now, I can't at all find where the preload files are/were moved too. I have a TW2EE file, but I don't know where to put that part two folder. I have no problem just redownloading everything while I sleep, but I'd like to erase the corrupt stuff first.
They're put in C:\downloads by default.

I'm playing with a Dual Shock 3 via motionjoy and I liked how Geralt controls but are you really forced to use the keyboard to switch signs and stuff?
Nope. Press L2.

Derrick01

Banned
Game seems to run about the same for me which I'm not complaining since I can get it to run pretty well on a slightly aging 470. I really wish we would have gotten the 360's lighting though it looked so much better in the screens posted.

Basically had to redownload the entire game and reinstall. My game won't load, or start a new game. It just crashes. Now the merging of files is taking forever. Painful...

Did I read correctly that there is an expanded intro?

gdt

Everything seems to be going fine now.

But I also want to voice my dissapointment that the PC version didn't get the new lighting, or the improvements to using a pad/UI when doing so. Really sucks about the second one.

Steam always updates a game when you start it. Always keep up to date being off only blocks it from updating on its own.

When I ran my copy it didn't start the download but just launched the game. Upon quitting a banner saying my copy had been updated to the enhanced edition although it was quite clear it had not.

Is there any work around to this or should I just delete and re-download the whole game?

Top Bottom