• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

two complaints, the game got easier and i don't like how the prologue got rearranged... Did it get rearranged or am I not remembering correctly?

Aeana

two complaints, the game got easier and i don't like how the prologue got rearranged... Did it get rearranged or am I not remembering correctly?
You can control the order of events in the prologue based on your dialog choices with Roche.
But yes, since the very first version of the game, they reduced the difficulty in the prologue.

KorrZ

How long is this game if you're a completionist e.g. with every side quest you can do, talking to everyone, exploring a fair bit?

tauke

Speak of the devil my download has finished and it is now merging. Guess the fluctuating speed for GOG downloader is temporary.

Can't wait to run this again later on my Pentium D 805 with 9800GT.

Varna

What the hell... Steam gets to 99% and starts installing (my HDD light turns on) but when it's done nothing happens. The update gets suspended and if I resume it just "installs" again.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
How long is this game if you're a completionist e.g. with every side quest you can do, talking to everyone, exploring a fair bit?

It would take quite a while I'd imagine, given you'd have to replay a couple times to get the various endings alone.

Sober

Okay, cool. So it still has the better geometry/tessellation, just not the new lighting model?
From what I have been reading and screenshots, the lighting was only changed for the console versions because they probably had to do with less, so it's unchanged in the PC version. Though some people are getting riled up about not having the console lighting scheme in the PC version as an option.

Exuro

You'll have to replay the game a few times to do everything. The branching story line and quest system will stop you from experiencing a good 8-12 hours of content in a single playthrough. First playthrough doing everything you can possibly do is probably in the 30-40 range.

gdt

Hmm, first playthrough probably 30 or so hours. Then another for the different middle act, which would by itself count for probably about 10 hours of new content.

So 60 hours for two playthroughs, but 40 of unique content. (Act 1/3 would stay mostly the same).

This is BEFORE the EE though.

KorrZ

It would take quite a while I'd imagine, given you'd have to replay a couple times to get the various endings slone.

You'll have to replay the game a few times to do everything. The branching story line and quest system will stop you from experiencing a good 8-12 hours of content in a single playthrough. First playthrough doing everything you can possibly do is probably in the 30-40 range.

Hmm, first playthrough probably 30 or so hours. Then another for the different middle act, which would by itself count for probably about 10 hours of new content.

So 60 hours for two playthroughs, but 40 of unique content. (Act 1/3 would stay mostly the same).

This is BEFORE the EE though.

Excellent, thank you guys. So hyped!

I'm playing with a Dual Shock 3 via motionjoy and I liked how Geralt controls but are you really forced to use the keyboard to switch signs and stuff?

Is it a bit sluggish for you? What happens when you pan the camera fast with the right analog (holding it one direction)?

Question: Should I start over, I played until the end of the camp area in the beginning on vanilla. Not sure if I missed anything or not in the EE. I'd rather not to be honest.

When I ran my copy it didn't start the download but just launched the game. Upon quitting a banner saying my copy had been updated to the enhanced edition although it was quite clear it had not.

Is there any work around to this or should I just delete and re-download the whole game?

For the new page. To clarify I'm discussing steam updating, the quote within that post wasn't quoted.

2AdEPT

They added ducks to Flotsam. DUCKS.

GOAT confirmed.

No idea. They also added pigs :p.

I booted up a couple of save files to try and spot any immediate differences. The only other thing I noticed was (Act II spoiler)
the comet now looks different
. Otherwise the game looks and performs exactly as it always did.

so this means that previous saves can be loaded and the new version will kick in ? I have my saves intact although I may want to start over from scrath for the Iorveth path as I missed mellietels heart and mystic river.

Did I read correctly that there is an expanded intro?

yes....... and it is intense

Question: Should I start over, I played until the end of the camp area in the beginning. Not sure if I missed anything or not in the EE. I'd rather not to be honest.

This is my conundrum as well....I purposely held off on act 3 but now with ducks and a goat and pigs I might have to start from scratch.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Haven't played much since the balancing patches, but Aard is way more powerful. Before it very rarely set up enemies for the insta-kill animation, but now it does it almost alll the time. I ain't complain' though, it's always been my go-to sign in both games.

2AdEPT, you should be able to load your saves without any problems.

Digoman

The PC shots in the comparisons look bad because of the bloom. Turn it off.
People complaining about the PC lighting should turn the bloom option off.

Yeah... one of the two biggest complain about the visuals on the original for me was the overuse of bloom. Even if it did look nice in some places, in the general the game looked a lot better with it off. The other were shadows but I got (a little) used to them.

I'm somewhat disappointed that the new gamepad controls weren't ported, but they were good enough to begin with, and I don't know why some textures weren't updated, but in the end, since I bought this game on launch for PC I got, for free:
- Several patches improving the combat system among other things.
- A couple of smallish DLC like costumes and the troll quest.
- A new tutorial area.
- The Arena mode
- New "Dark mode" difficulty.
- 3-4 hours of new content in last Act
- New cinematic and other additions to this EE.
And probably a couple of things I'm forgetting... all on top of a great game to start with, so I really can't complain if CDPR didn't port everything I wanted. They earned my goodwill.

Alastor

Corrupted file. Downloading these two mentioned earlier manually. Thanks for that, because without this info I'd probably give up with EE for today.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Disappointed at the lack of an update to the lighting engine. I think it looks great in the 360 version. Still a cool update for sure, but I may just end up grabbing the 360 version at some point. How's the framerate?

Exuro

Just noticed there's finally a Steam Cloud option in the game.
Only issue is you can't choose specific saves to upload. I'd have to delete a lot of saves to get cloud working. Cool that they finally added it though. I remember it originally being touted for the steam version.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Excellent, thank you guys. So hyped!

Just to add my own experience into the mix: the original version of the game took me 50~55 hours to complete. I opted to side with Roche and the only quest I didn't do was Troll Trouble (Steam, for some inexplicable reason, downloaded v1.00 instead of the then-latest version that includes the DLC -- a fact I didn't discover until well after Chapter 1).

Xyber

Huh.. My saves stopped working. I saved before leaving Flotsam to do some missions in the forest, saved every now and then after I completed stuff but got to a place were I screwed up and died. When I loaded the last save I started outside the town again and had to redo almost 30 minutes of stuff.. I tried to save again at a different place to check if it was working and it wasn't.

2AdEPT

Yeah... one of the two biggest complain about the visuals on the original for me was the overuse of bloom. Even if it did look nice in some places, in the general the game looked a lot better with it off. The other were shadows but I got (a little) used to them.

I'm somewhat disappointed that the new gamepad controls weren't ported, but they were good enough to begin with, and I don't know why some textures weren't updated, but in the end, since I bought this game on launch for PC I got, for free:
- Several patches improving the combat system among other things.
- A couple of smallish DLC like costumes and the troll quest.
- A new tutorial area.
- The Arena mode
- New "Dark mode" difficulty.
- 3-4 hours of new content in last Act
- New cinematic and other additions to this EE.
And probably a couple of things I'm forgetting... all on top of a great game to start with, so I really can't complain if CDPR didn't port everything I wanted. They earned my goodwill.

and for people like me who got on board late. not only did I get all that but I got it all for $29...got the last physical copy at my local gamestop afiliate (eb games) just a couple weeks ago.....now it's$42 on GOG!!!! I feel pretty guilty....but I did pay 9.99 for TW1 last weeek and now its 4.99.....soooooo worth it for 4.99 people...no excuse not to pick it up for the price of a frggin chessburger!

Zeliard

Time to finally start up a new game on Dark mode. I haven't played Witcher 2 since last June so I think I'm in for quite a few changes!

Huh.. My saves stopped working. I saved before leaving Flotsam to do some missions in the forest, saved every now and then after I completed stuff but got to a place were I screwed up and died. When I loaded the last save I started outside the town again and had to redo almost 30 minutes of stuff.. I tried to save again at a different place to check if it was working and it wasn't.

Uh, can you save anything on your computer? Might want to check in case your HDD is failing. Usually saves not saving is an indicator of that.

Xyber

Uh, can you save anything on your computer? Might want to check in case your HDD is failing. Usually saves not saving is an indicator of that.

I just figured out what the problem was, do not activate Steam Cloud. It saves every single save in the cloud and apparently they are pretty big. I ran out of cloud space and it just didn't save them anymore, not even on the HDD.

squidyj

Uhhh, so am I supposed to be getting a black screen after the prologue while Dandelion talks or is there supposed to be a cinematic there?

K.Sabot

Uhhh, so am I supposed to be getting a black screen after the prologue while Dandelion talks or is there supposed to be a cinematic there?

I had that same problem, I thought my computer had turned off. Come to know it, the power in my monitor wiggled loose and I turned off my computer instead of turning it back on.

Helmholtz

Everything seems to be going fine now.

But I also want to voice my dissapointment that the PC version didn't get the new lighting, or the improvements to using a pad/UI when doing so. Really sucks about the second one.

No pad improvements? Boooo.
Maybe I'll wait a while until my replay to see if they patch it further.

I just figured out what the problem was, do not activate Steam Cloud. It saves every single save in the cloud and apparently they are pretty big. I ran out of cloud space and it just didn't save them anymore, not even on the HDD.

Ah, I didn't think of that. =P

iavi

Just got to Flotsam. This game is nuts.

Playing the 360 version; installed to the HDD. The game's gorgeous and hasn't really stuttered a damn bit, which is what has me amazed the most; the tearing was noticeable in the prologue, but really only in the monastery bit, and I haven't noticed it at all since, regardless of my running into what I'm guessing were further taxing scenarios. Incredibly impressed with the engine work CDPR pulled off here.

Fjordson

Just got to Flotsam. This game is nuts.

Playing the 360 version; installed to the HDD. The game's gorgeous and hasn't really stuttered a damn bit, which is what has me amazed the most; the tearing was noticeable in the prologue, but really only in the monastery bit, and I haven't noticed it at all since, regardless of my running into what I'm guessing were further taxing scenarios. Incredibly impressed with the engine work CDPR pulled off here.
Nice, 360 impressions!

How's the combat treatin' you with the gamepad?

iavi

Nice, 360 impressions!

How's the combat treatin' you with the gamepad?

Never played the PC version to make the comparison, or know what the specific 360 pad enhancements were, but it feels great... for the most part; I've noticed that there's a small delay to dodging and casting that makes things feel a bit odd at times, but I've adjusted by giving myself a bit of breathing room during encounters. Took a few minutes, but I haven't really felt it to be an issue since adjusting. Actual sword-play--blocking, striking--I've had no issue at all with, and actually feels damn good. No rumble when striking though, only when hit. That's been a bit of a bummer.

Fjordson

Never played the PC version to make the comparison, or know what the specific 360 pad enhancements were, but it feels great... for the most part; I've noticed that there's a small delay to dodging and casting that makes things feel a bit odd at times, but I've adjusted by giving myself a bit of breathing room during encounters. Took a few minutes, but I haven't really felt it to be an issue since adjusting.
Oh, okay. Interesting. I'm in the same boat, only played the first Witcher on my laptop but that's pretty different from this as far as combat.

Glad to hear its performance is up to snuff. Really can't wait to play tomorrow.

Top Bottom