• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Could not care less about metacritic, but wanting the game to be something else (hack & slash, lol) is really bad.

same here, but that shit is pretty important in this industry, whether we like it or not. imagine how some business guy reads this. "Universal acclaim" is certainly gonna fair a lot better than "Generally favorable reviews". and let's not forget the 1% bonus-miss for Obsidian.
I ranted about this today because I'm in the middle of this game and it's wonderful. A truly great game that DOES NOT deserve this, especially from some asshole who doesn't even understand the basic game mechanics. *sigh*

Anarkin

same here, but that shit is pretty important in this industry, whether we like it or not. imagine how some business guy reads this. "Universal acclaim" is certainly gonna fair a lot better than "Generally favorable reviews". and let's not forget the 1% bonus-miss for Obsidian.
I ranted about this today because I'm in the middle of this game and it's wonderful. A truly great game that DOES NOT deserve this, especially from some asshole who doesn't even understand the basic game mechanics. *sigh*

This is even funnier.

The big question: should you buy Enhanced Edition if you have already purchased The Witcher 2 on PC? That's a tough question to answer. The additional content is appealing, but if you've been faithfully supporting the game by purchasing DLC, it will undoubtedly feel like you are buying a lot of things for a second time.

http://cheatcc.com/xbox360/rev/thewitcher2assassinsofkingsenhancededitionreview.html

This is even funnier.

The big question: should you buy Enhanced Edition if you have already purchased The Witcher 2 on PC? That's a tough question to answer. The additional content is appealing, but if you've been faithfully supporting the game by purchasing DLC, it will undoubtedly feel like you are buying a lot of things for a second time.

http://cheatcc.com/xbox360/rev/thewitcher2assassinsofkingsenhancededitionreview.html

Lbw6k.png

Noaloha

Whist something like the above is terribly poor form within a review, mistakes do happen. If I cared enough, I'd contact the reviewer/site about it and give them a chance to amend the text regarding something they obviously misunderstood (or, rather depressingly, just assumed -- CDPR's approach to additional content is rather in the minority after all). If they're a decent operation, they'd be happy to change it I'd hope.

finished.gif

Whist something like the above is terribly poor form within a review, mistakes do happen. If I cared enough, I'd contact the reviewer/site about it and give them a chance to amend the text regarding something they obviously misunderstood (or, rather depressingly, just assumed -- CDPR's approach to additional content is rather in the minority after all). If they're a decent operation, they'd be happy to change it I'd hope.
If that's not the case can we go with a bloodletting then?

wingz

Did anyone run into an huge glitch in chapter 3 (Roche's path), where it basically makes you invincible, you cannot die, and at the same time your vitality and vigor does not generate. All your health/magic bars are empty and you can keep on getting hit, nothing happens. This happened to me twice near the end of the game. I was playing on the 360.

Grisby

Did anyone run into an huge glitch in chapter 3 (Roche's path), where it basically makes you invincible, you cannot die, and at the same time your vitality and vigor does not generate. All your health/magic bars are empty and you can keep on getting hit, nothing happens. This happened to me twice near the end of the game. I was playing on the 360.
Nah, I've had this odd bug where I'll come out of a building and there won't be any dudes until I pan the camera to another place and back.

Also pop in. Pop in's everywhere. But I'll take it because it hardly stutters and I don't have to worry about my game slowly dying or causing the world to implode by dropping a cheese-wheel ala Skyrim.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
People really have been dumbed down by games. Witcher isn't even that "hardcore" as there's markers for most quests and the difficulty gets easier. People can be so stupid.

Autofokus

Just a small update, I hope it's ok I'm posting this here:

= Dynamic HUD v1.1 Update
= v1.1
- NEW: QuestInfo beneath the Minimap is now hidden by default, visible in Combat (at reduced Alpha) and fully visible when opening the Quickmenu
- FIXED: some HUD Font shenanigans (thx@Kindo)
- FIXED: CombatLog Alpha (thx@slimgrin)
- FIXED: some timing issues

Release Thread for more info, screenshots & download.

wingz

The funny thing is, I never experience any bugs in Skyrim, but I dd in this game. Aside from that, this game is pretty amazing.

Nah, I've had this odd bug where I'll come out of a building and there won't be any dudes until I pan the camera to another place and back.

Also pop in. Pop in's everywhere. But I'll take it because it hardly stutters and I don't have to worry about my game slowly dying or causing the world to implode by dropping a cheese-wheel ala Skyrim.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone tell me where the dummies are? I want that 10% XP bonus.

I got 5 in the training camp in the beginning, I know there's a few in Loredo's residence too. Where are the others?

Dresden

How about the brawls? I didn't think I'd care for the QTE fest, initially, but it ended up becoming my fav minigame.

Those are still there as well.

My favorite minigame as well (because I didn't feel like stabbing people in the throat after playing them).

Can someone tell me where the dummies are? I want that 10% XP bonus.

I got 5 in the training camp in the beginning, I know there's a few in Loredo's residence too. Where are the others?

Two in the barracks, which is east of the inn, and two in each of the gated exits from Flotsam.

Just got to act 2 and wow. This game is the shit! I love how this game is geared towards adults.

Another thing I love is the costumes.. if there was a award for best costumes like the Oscars, this game would win. The design of the costumes makes sense, relatively. All the pouches are there, the sword sheath scabbards, even for a bow. Your trophy dangles on your side of the back.. just love it!

2AdEPT

Finally beat Roche path for first playthrough......will do Iorveth form scratch, but had to re-load a bit to see what happens in Roche end games choices. I tried ot do the Roche/Annais helping insteadof saving Triss and was disappointed. The whole Sile tirade up with the dragon didn't change!
Letho shows up in the amphitheatre (unlike with the triss path) and then geralt and sile still argue about where Letho is?!?!!?!?

Oh well I get the feeling that Iorveth path will shed more light on a few things as all the spoilers in this thread and skimming the book breifly alluded to some goodies....
I couldn't re-do the dragon....too cheap a OHK on te tail swipe counter...pops up right in your face
...again maybe because my lapop is not ideal the lag and frame rate are more to blame.... Is there any way I can fix this ? I beleive I have minimum settings for everything with this hardware:

nvidia gt 525 1 gb
i7 2600
750 gb

is there anything else I can do to decrease the quality and increase frame rate? I tried this setting in the nvidia control panel but it didn't seem to help...maybe even worse?

Finally beat Roche path for first playthrough......will do Iorveth form scratch, but had to re-load a bit to see what happens in Roche end games choices. I tried ot do the Roche/Annais helping insteadof saving Triss and was disappointed. The whole Sile tirade up with the dragon didn't change!
Letho shows up in the amphitheatre (unlike with the triss path) and then geralt and sile still argue about where Letho is?!?!!?!?

Oh well I get the feeling that Iorveth path will shed more light on a few things as all the spoilers in this thread and skimming the book breifly alluded to some goodies....I couldn't re-do the dragon....too cheap a OHK on te tail swipe counter...pops up right in your face...again maybe because my lapop is not ideal the lag and frame rate are more to blame.... Is there any way I can fix this ? I beleive I have minimum settings for everything with this hardware:

nvidia gt 525 1 gb
i7 2600
750 gb

is there anything else I can do to decrease the quality and increase frame rate? I tried this setting in the nvidia control panel but it didn't seem to help...maybe even worse?

Yeah you need to spoiler tag the rest dude

Robot Pants

So I've had The Witcher 2 on my PC since its release, all the DLC, and the 2.0 patch. All in all about 18 gigs. Now Steam is updating a 14gig update. EE can't be 14gig can it?

Ahasverus

I don't know if anyone saw this but some reviewer put out a negative review for this game which effectively knocked the game from 90% (Universal Acclaim) to 89% (Generally favorable reviews). OMFG what a jerk. Just read the review:

http://gamerlimit.com/2012/04/gamer-limit-review-the-witcher-2-enhanced-edition/

Holy shit. The guy doesn't have a clue. I mean, wtf:

and this idiot just knocked the game down with his 45% score. that's just not fair. fuck Metacritic. CD Projekt doesn't deserve this. The game is a masterpiece.
SON OF A BITCH

Gotta reserve those 10 for Call of Duty and Medal of Honor And MADDEN

Grisby

Hhhhhhmmm decisions, decisions.

Chapter 3 Major Spoilers: Do I go to
Anais's rescue
or do I go to
Triss who's being held captive?

Well. Yeah.

But it's
Triss. And I have a feelin' something bad will happen if I don't go right away.

Make your own decision. Save beforehand, and then try the other path. You are literally about an hour from endgame at this point, assuming you have already done sidequests.

I think I'm finally done with the game, and I will probably use as my canon path:

Aryan lives. Iorveth path, rescue Triss. Now I know, it is nice to break the spell on Saskia, but when you choose Triss the world is in a much better state, no massacre of mages or subsequent witchhunt, you rescue your girlfriend, and Iorveth is able to get the dagger before the golem kicks his ass, and you pick it up. So it is only a matter of time before you break the spell. I kick Dragon ass, anyways. Debating on Sile. She is a shitty person, but I think Geralt would probably take the five seconds to not let her die. Plus he learns a bit about Yennefer if he saves her. Also not sure about Stennis. I personally think he is breakfast when Nilfgaard invades, so it probably doesn't matter much. He is a huge cunt, and guilty, so I let him die and will probably keep it that way. Sucks for Temeria, but independence can still come later. Especially since Henselt and Radovid run away after the invasion starts. With Dethmold dead I assume Anais was never kidnapped, but hard to know for sure.

I might replay before Witcher 3, but will probably do it with this path. And I might redo Witcher 1 as well, although I'll probably stick with neutral and Triss. It might be slightly boring to do the same things, but it will be a "canon" path so I want my preferences. I already played around a bit with the Order/Scoia'tael on my first playthrough, so I'm not completely unexposed to those events.

I don't know if anyone saw this but some reviewer put out a negative review for this game which effectively knocked the game from 90% (Universal Acclaim) to 89% (Generally favorable reviews). OMFG what a jerk. Just read the review:

http://gamerlimit.com/2012/04/gamer-limit-review-the-witcher-2-enhanced-edition/

Holy shit. The guy doesn't have a clue. I mean, wtf:

etc. etc.

just read it. it's disgusting.

and this idiot just knocked the game down with his 45% score. that's just not fair. fuck Metacritic. CD Projekt doesn't deserve this. The game is a masterpiece.

Not even going to give the site my click.

Naito

Chapter 3 Major Spoilers: Do I go to
Anais's rescue
or do I go to
Triss who's being held captive?

If you
save Anais, you'll be able to loot the Forgotten Vran Sword, best steel sword in the game, from Dethmold's chest.
If you then convince Roche to hand Foltest's child to John Natalis instead of Radovid, Temeria will retain its independence and Vernon will keep his loyalty to his country
(if you give Anais to Radovid, Roche switches side and changes his blue striped suit into a redanian themed one).
Thing is, Triss will be saved anyway by Letho if you don't rescue her - this means that there's really little reason to choose her path after you know this (if not for roleplaying reasons ofc).

Personally, I think this is the "best ending": you get the best steel sword, Temeria is still united and Geralt leaves Loc Muinne with both Roche and Triss.

Who do you think is less capable of defending herself?

No one who's held captive can defend themselves. Just look at what happened to
Philippa

If you
save Anais, you'll be able to loot the Forgotten Vran Sword, best steel sword in the game, from Dethmold's chest.
If you then convince Roche to hand Foltest's child to John Natalis instead of Radovid, Temeria won't be split and Vernon will still be loyal to his country
(if you give Anais to Radovid, Roche switches side and changes his blue striped suit into a redanian themed one).
Thing is, Triss will be saved anyway by Letho if you don't rescue her - this means that there's really little reason to choose her path after you know this (if not for roleplaying reasons ofc).

Personally, I think this is the "best ending": you get the best steel sword, Temeria is still united and Geralt leaves Loc Muinne with Roche and Triss.

You clearly haven't seen the changes to Loc Muinne after the choice is made. The consequences are much clearer now. It's not just about
being the one to save Triss which I believe is what's most important for Geralt. It's about preventing the massacre of every mage and sorceress in the North who had nothing to do with the plot to kill the kings so they can help against the impending Nilfgaard invasion. Whether Temeria remains intact is not that important in the grand scheme of things when faced with what's coming.
The whole North ends up in a much more fucked up state if you don't
save Triss

Complistic

If you
If you then convince Roche to hand Foltest's child to John Natalis instead of Radovid, Temeria will retain its independence and Vernon will keep his loyalty to his country

Personally, I think this is the "best ending": you get the best steel sword, Temeria is still united and Geralt leaves Loc Muinne with Roche and Triss.

I never had roche switch sides when I pick triss. Triss also has important information that she brings up at the meeting.

Naito

I never had roche switch sides when I pick triss. Triss also has important information that she brings up at the meeting.

If you've chosen to
save Triss, Vernon will save Anais by himself. You'll save him after the dragon fight and he'll go hiding with the child, meaning he won't hand her to Radovid;
you have this choice only if you decide to rescue Anais. Yup, that's right: Triss also brings up informations at the meeting.

I was only listing the positive things of choosing Anais over Triss and why I made my choice :)

Naito

The whole North ends up in a much more fucked up state if you don't
save Triss

A divided Temeria isn't also ideal, since its the country that stands between Nilfgaard and the North. Radovid himself said "Temeria must be a strong and united realm".
But, yeah, I get your point - rolling a sorc doesn't seem like a good idea in my playthrough :p

Grisby

Make your own decision. Save beforehand, and then try the other path. You are literally about an hour from endgame at this point, assuming you have already done sidequests.
Oh I always do. It was more of a thinking out loud moment. But I can see it brought a lot of black bars of text of which I'll check out after tonight.

Didn't realize I was that close to the end though. Chapter 3 feels pretty short. even after completing all the side quests and EE content.

Oh I always do. It was more of a thinking out loud moment. But I can see it brought a lot of black bars of text of which I'll check out after tonight.

Didn't realize I was that close to the end though. Chapter 3 feels pretty short. even after completing all the side quests and EE content.

It is. I found it overwhelming in my first playthrough because of the size and very confusing layout. But in Iorveth path you only get to see like 1/3 of the city. And once you figure it out you realize it isn't all that big.

The only addition of the EE within the chapter is the Lillies and Vipers/Secrets of Loc Muinne quests, which add a couple of hours max. Fun quests though.

Eusis

It seems like he has edited that part. Now reads like this:
That really wasn't the right way to edit that. Really should've been like "Good news, you can get this update for free!" then put in his thoughts on whether the 360 version is still worth getting (probably not unless your PC's crap and you want better controller support).

The_Monk

Finally got my copy today, I posted in the pick-up thread earlier (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37400996&postcount=1153) and I'm loving it.

Finished the Prologue and I'm taking my time exploring and having fun with the game. Don't want to rush in.

Playing on Normal btw. I'm so glad I still have my 360, shame I don't have many games for it. If anyone wants to add me so my 360 don't feel so "empty" GT is on my profile.

Can I hope to get at least 20 hours with the game fellow GAFfers?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
At least. You'd have to rush to make it in under 20. I think it's the perfect length for an RPG, a meaty 30-35 hours but it doesn't recycle content or overstay it's welcome.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Ah dammit I didn't know you can "fail" quests [Act2]
I failed the three sisters quest, because I was talking to Marwik to hear his opinion on the accusations. But then this idiot runs off and gets himself killed. Awesome.

Heh

Found a game ending bug. I saved
in the sewers of loc muinne right in front of the door sentry while doing the quest 'from a bye gone era'. Did both puzzles to get to the man below, fought him and died. upon reloading from the recent save, the game wont let me move freely in the sewer. I cant talk to the door guardian OR leave the sewer. Frustrating as shit.

Given the limited amount of content the Witcher 2 has its good but nowhere near as good as The Elder Scrolls games.

Top Bottom