• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

This fight is FUCKING BULLSHIT

I haven't leveled up Aard at all so it practically does nothing.

I hate this game right now

Have you tried Yrden? I haven't played the game in awhile and I was playing on normal, but every major boss fight I just spammed Yrden. I don't think I ever leveled any of my signs or used Quen that often.

Have you tried Yrden? I haven't played the game in awhile and I was playing on normal, but every major boss fight I just spammed Yrden. I don't think I ever leveled any of my signs or used Quen that often.
Tried it, didn't help. Keep in mind I'm fighting
four sorcerers here. And they're using quen. I don't see them even reacting to my yrdan

Yrden won't work. Too many enemies, hard to predict where they will be at any given time. If aard isn't helping my only other advice is to spam quen and rolling. That or give me the controller and I'll beat them for you!

I've given up. Way too frustrating. I must have tried and died 20 times.

Anyone know where the
sewer
is in Act 3?
Because I thought it was down below the tower but I've thoroughly explored that whole area and found nothing.

This game is really souring me here in the end. At this point I just want to finish it and get it over with.

Dresden

Finished my second playthrough, this time on Iorveth's path. Overall I still think Roche's path was far better, but this was fine too.

Felt bad about (ending spoilers)
killing Letho this time around, wanted to see what happened but it . . . still felt bad. I liked Letho.
Fight was a joke though, with the alchemy build. On Dark I think Iorveth's path was a bit more difficult than Roche's.

My feelings on the game, in the end . . . it was good. Very good. Writing wasn't as great as I'd been led to believe, but otherwise, I'm looking forward to CDPR's next project.

e: also, I guess the ending cinematic + narration by Dandelion didn't exist before the Enhanced Edition? I think the game would feel really incomplete without them.

Finished my second playthrough, this time on Iorveth's path. Overall I still think Roche's path was far better, but this was fine too.

Felt bad about (ending spoilers)
killing Letho this time around, wanted to see what happened but it . . . still felt bad. I liked Letho.
Fight was a joke though, with the alchemy build. On Dark I think Iorveth's path was a bit more difficult than Roche's.

My feelings on the game, in the end . . . it was good. Very good. Writing wasn't as great as I'd been led to believe, but otherwise, I'm looking forward to CDPR's next project.

e: also, I guess the ending cinematic + narration by Dandelion didn't exist before the Enhanced Edition? I think the game would feel really incomplete without them.

Yeah, this. I replayed that Letho-Iorveth confrontation from Act I yesterday, and the writing in there seriously does not make sense.

Lol, I just discovered a whole other area in the forests near Flotsam. Who knew that you could actually scale that bridge and find a bandit lair.

Lol, I just discovered a whole other area in the forests near Flotsam. Who knew that you could actually scale that bridge and find a bandit lair.
I know, right? I felt really dumb I hadn't found that sooner, since I didn't discover that until nearly the end of my time in Flotsam.

Angry Joe apparently went to visit CDPR recently, and he has two videos on his trip. One is him visiting the offices and then trying to find something on Witcher 3. The staff were involved in it, and it just seems to be a pretty silly video for the most part. The second video is a "behind the scenes" video, so not expecting a lot from it other than outtakes. I'm not a big fan of Joe, but the CDPR people have kept it worth watching. Not to mention just seeing their offices is always a nice bonus.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/aj/as/35096-wild-hunt-for-witcher-3

Steaks

Yeah, I found that area earlier. Is there any way to open the cabin?

I've spent my second play through really digging deep into the game. I'm probably 20? hours in right now and I'm only nearing the end of chapter 1. It's funny how much easier
Letho and the Kayran are on your second run through the game, I think died to them once each on Hard. My first playthrough was on Normal and I had to set the difficult to easy to beat Letho. I think it helped that I had probably the best equipment possible going into the Letho fight.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Other than the fantasy setting, TW2 and say Skyrim don't have much in common. That would be like comparing Fallout NV with Deus Ex Human Revolution.

Personally I love both. Skyrim is my chill out and explore game, I like TW2 for a good character driven game. Don't think its written anywhere you have to like one or the other.

I'm now in Act 2 and I have a lot of fun with the game. I think I mastered the combat, the side quest are pretty interesting.
I failed two quests. The Odrin quest and the Little Sisters.
The last one taught me to read the quest text before making early conclusion. But overall I feel Act 2 is much shorter than Act 1. We will see but I still have some main quest to do in this Act 2.
I hope Triss will never find out my lovely night with Ves.

Other question: Is there a way to get rid of some enhancement? I did a big mistake and enhanced a special armor with shitty enhancement. I hope it is possible. If not, I got taught another thing today: Go to a store and look for better enhancement before using the shitty ones you find.

Edit.: And what are the rules of this Dice game? How do I win?

Grisby

So the Witcher 2 is a pretty good game. I thought I'd let it digest a little bit before writing something more on it.

The game starts out hard but it definitely gets easier as you go along. I still died a few times near the end but it was more of me trying to take on 20 guys without a health regen potion. The combat is fun and I like the fact that you have to prepare before the battle although I only used 2 or 3 potion types and a few bombs (and that stopped pretty much completely during act 2). Still, the idea is great and granted you probably have to do more of that on Dark difficulty. I didn't like the that a lot of skills that seemed like they should be base skills (parrying, knife throwing) were in trees. That and the fact that I felt like I was swinging a paper clip at the enemies didn't help the 'feel' or weight of the combat. I had fun though and I want to see on subsequent playthroughs what the other trees are like.

Conversations and walking around were all pretty standard RPG fare. The choice system is very well done because I never knew if I was making the right decision. That, and there were a lot of options to play around with. On a quick end note I enjoyed the mini-games because they were mostly non intrusive in their control design and the load times were quick, which I think is important in an RPG mini-game.

On to the story which is also pretty decent. I enjoyed the political intrigue and the fact that Geralt always seemed to find himself right in the thick of all these kings. There were a lot of times I played for more then my intended play session just to see what was going to transpire next. The monster side-quests were pretty fun but there were a lot of non-memorable side-quests for me. I mean, the
drunk troll one was kind of fun as was the hangover deal
but a lot of them were a bit boring. Granted, I appreciate though that they weren't complete fetch quests and all of them had some sort of little extra deal at the end. Also, the fact that you get what seems to be an entire different area in Chapter 2 depending on your choices is great.

I also very much enjoyed how some of the aspects of the story were told through different characters in scenes that were mostly playable. Great storytelling mechanic and something that I wish other RPG's would take note of.

I'm glad I read the books and knew some of the characters before hand because the game didn't go out of its way to fill in some back-story for them. Don't get me wrong, I think all of them were great but the potential for them wasn't really realized. I kept hearing about how bad ass Roche was and he certainly has some great moments, but there wasn't a lot of interactions with him outside of story missions that were usually at the end. I seduced Ves in a simple quick cut scene and she was nowhere to be found during the entirety of Act 3. I'm a bit torn on the characters as I do like them but never got much of a chance to do a lot of stuff with them, nor delve into their personal back stories.

Presentation wise the game is a looker on the 360. I believe it all comes down to the lighting and more detailed textures on the characters themselves. The lighting can be breathtaking in certain spots, casting a soft or harsh glow depending on where you stand. The characters all have nice looking textures and the design of their clothing really stands out as being unique. From the way Saskia looks more like a pure maiden to Sile' seeming to have protective run cloth's on her arms. Great stuff.

The negatives include a lot of texture problem which isn't so bad in Flotsam's forest but noticeable around Henselt's rocky cliffs (with the rocks fading in while standing just a few inches away). A lot of crucial cut scenes near the end have character pop in, only for a few seconds, but it takes away some of the immersion. After coming off of Mass Effect 3 where this pretty much never happened it is a bit distracting. Another thing too is that they don't do much with the normal interaction of the cut scenes. Like in ME3 they might pan around to certain things or move the camera a bit further back to give the scene some more style. Overall though its quite an achievement and some of the action scenes are really well done (
Letho fights, Foltest's murder, and Dragon fight near the end are some highlights
).

Voices were mostly well done although some audio sounded like it was mixed in an off way. I think they could have gotten better actors for some roles but they were serviceable. The developers need to tone the repetition of some lines next time around though as it can get very annoying very quickly. The music is a high point with the title music, Dwarven stone, coastal city, and a quiet corner being my top picks. Really great of CPD to include an OST with the game.

And that's my ending to this. It's really great, more so, that CDProjekt brought this game to the 360. I felt so bad last year when it was released and I didn't have an option to play it. There are a lot of niggles here and there and the game isn't the savior of RPG's but damn if it isn't one of the best. After that ending I want Withcer 3, I want those other Sapkoswki books. I just want more Witcher.

MattDoza

I got such a fortunate glitch, while entering the
Nilfgaardian camp to rescue Triss.
I basically used all of my Vigor, and my Vitality had dropped to nothing. Neither would regenerate, and I was invulnerable. This would have been a frustrating battle, had this glitch not occurred.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah the game is pretty easy after a while. My friends were having a hard time with every damn boss fight on Normal while I breezed through them. Compensates for the fact I don't know how to read in-game text boxes.

would be sick if the witcher duel wielded. though it would take away the significance of having a steel and silver sword.

i would love to see a hooded cloak as well

scitek

So calling the hit detection in this game ass-tastic would be paying it a compliment, but during the
"flashback" where Iorveth and Roche fight
how can I win? Every time I try to parry, his attacks go right through me, and vice versa. It's broken beyond belief.

So calling the hit detection in this game ass-tastic would be paying it a compliment, but during the
"flashback" where Iorveth and Roche fight
how can I win? Every time I try to parry, his attacks go right through me, and vice versa. It's broken beyond belief.

Yeah the hit detection is pretty bad in TW2. I've had several instances where I'm 15+ft away from an enemy get killed by his 6ft sword.

The story is pretty great, although a bit convoluted, and only Obsidian does decision making like this.

Finished the game yesterday on my PC (even though I double dipped for X360 version, too). Absolutely incredible. Best RPG I've played ... in a while.

Taking me so long to really get through this atm, so much time devoted to my job. I think I'm looking at a future of maybe 10-20 hours a week of gaming until I retire.

I'm really enjoying the game, but damn if I can't figure out why I dislike the combat so much. I love mashy, dodge and nuke style combat, but for some reason the combat in this game is turning me off. Maybe it's just the contrast to the amount of management and variety present in the rest of the game?

I love mashy, dodge and nuke style combat, but for some reason the combat in this game is turning me off. Maybe it's just the contrast to the amount of management and variety present in the rest of the game?

Its really not button mashy combat. It took a while for me to get the hang of the combat but using traps, bombs, signs, potions and oils plus being aware of your positioning makes a world of difference than just going into fights trying to brute force your way through.

Its really not button mashy combat. It took a while for me to get the hang of the combat but using traps, bombs, signs, potions and oils plus being aware of your positioning makes a world of difference than just going into fights trying to brute force your way through.

I think that's my problem, I like the depth of the pre-fight setup and the variety of options, but when the combat starts I feel like I should be playing it strategically and patiently like say Dark Souls, but rapidly it descends into me running around like a chicken with its head cut of, dropping traps, and then mashing away until everything is dead.

I hate this game. Time to re-retire from videogames. The combat irritates me, I don't find any of the characters interesting, the dialogue trees are bugged out/weird in places, I hate have to walk through 50 doors every time I want to get somewhere, the journal is ridiculously detailed but often leaves out important details (like where the person it is you are supposed to speak to), the map is often bugged (I am told where the scholar's hidden laboratory is... I go there on the map and suddenly the marker jumps halfway across the map... the new location is in an unreachable area... wtf), and I get a headache from playing (probably the bloom lighting and sub-60 fps... I should change the settings again). Also, I hate how you don't know which potions you should be taking in many cases until it's too late. Or how clunky the saving and loading is, especially after you die. Or how I can't adjust any of the game's visual or control settings in the game. etc. Since everyone loves it, something must be wrong with me. Time to give videogames a break for another 6 - 8 months. I'm in the midst of nerd range at the moment and needed to vent.

/livejournal

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Yo, where's the inn in chapter three? I have a quest to turn into Cynthia, but I can't remember where it was (if it was even there before when I played this last year; might be new with EE, I forget). It's not showing up on my map and I haven't run into one, so I'm a bit lost.

Cels

Yo, where's the inn in chapter three? I have a quest to turn into Cynthia, but I can't remember where it was (if it was even there before when I played this last year; might be new with EE, I forget). It's not showing up on my map and I haven't run into one, so I'm a bit lost.

it's in the main square with the ban ard sorcerer and the incredible lockhart

Bossniak

Finished it for a second time on the Xbox enjoyed it of course still planning to play it on the pc again with different choices.

Quick

Banned
Just finished the Little Sister quest. That fucking music is eerie as hell. On my way back, I got attacked by Harpies and an Erynia and managed to somehow get lost and stumbled onto another area, where I said NOPE and ran back to the camp. I'll deal with that later.

I'm getting really annoyed at the doors: loading time is really brief, but it's annoying having to go through it when there's plenty of doors.

Also,
Ves...dat everything.

Got my 1000/1000.

I really shouldnt have bought it full price knwoing what i have to pay for coming up soon, but i cant deny it was an amazing experience.

I dont get how people worry about Next gen specs. This game managed to look and play fucking amazing on hardware designed in 2004.

Top Bottom