• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Khal_B

In Act 3 I found an item called
Dorian's Diary
in a cave in the forest and it's marked as a quest item yet I can't find anything relating to it. Any ideas?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Just follow my three step guide.

1. ROLL.

2. MAKE BOMBS

3. TOSS BOMBS.

So, for maximum potential of ownage: Magic, Swordmanship, or Alchemy?

The narrative of The Witcher 2 stands on its own two feet aside from the assumption that you'll remember Dandelion, Triss, and Zoltan, but even so your history with them isn't important to the story. I couldn't remember much of the original game when I began playing the sequel and never encountered a moment where I found myself thinking, "Wait a minute, I don't remember that..."

It's just that, last night, I just reached the Gerald-kissing-Tish-HOLY SHIT UNCENSORED TITS!-blah guard entering-scene and on that scene alone Gerald made references to what I think as events of the 1st game (I could be wrong though) so I am a bit left out... In fact I said "wait wait wait..." and turned off my Xbox at that point since at that time I am bit tired and don't want to lose focus of things yet.

Gonna restart tonight and see what happens.

Isn't that the first scene of the game?

Anyways, in case you can't puzzle it out:

Last game is over. Final cutscene an assassin comes to kill King Foltest, who Geralt is collecting a reward from. Geralt kills assassin, pulls off scarf- it is a witcher. Game ends.

The other point of the conversation- In the first game at the very beginning you are running from the Wild Hunt- a mysterious group of specters. The actual scene is recreated in this game- shirtless Geralt running through the woods, and then two guys come to you after you fall down. The Wild Hunt is a plot point throughout the course of this game.

Yes. Note that there are three puzzle rooms, each with four runes. But only four symbols total are used, it is the same four symbols in each room. Figure out which symbol stands for what sign. Then read the poems in the rooms, and use that to determine the correct order to extinguish the runes.

Ourobolus

Banned
Gah, I was really enjoying this game up to this point. My first time through, playing Dark Mode, and now I'm at the part in Act 2 where
you assume the body of an Aedirn soldier and have to fight 4 guys in the mist

Considering I've been rocking magic and alchemy so far, this really doesn't work well with my up-to-this-point style of playing.

I'm sure I'll get past it, but damn it's irritating.

In Act 3 I found an item called
Dorian's Diary
in a cave in the forest and it's marked as a quest item yet I can't find anything relating to it. Any ideas?
What does the content of the diary describe? I believe I know what you're talking about, and you should have already done it.

Did a fight occur immediately after picking up the book? If yes, read the spoilers below. It's nothing related to the story, but just in case you didn't want to see...
The diary is that of a man turning into a werewolf. After picking up the book, a werewolf should have attacked you in the cave. After reading the diary itself, you realize the man in the book is the creature you just cut down.

Grisby

What does the content of the diary describe? I believe I know what you're talking about, and you should have already done it.

Did a fight occur immediately after picking up the book? If yes, read the spoilers below. It's nothing related to the story, but just in case you didn't want to see...
The diary is that of a man turning into a werewolf. After picking up the book, a werewolf should have attacked you in the cave. After reading the diary itself, you realize the man in the book is the creature you just cut down.
Oh right, thats why I don't recall anything. It was over in the blink of an eye. Not really a quest quest.

Khal_B

Yeah, that's it. Unfortunately, I only encountered common enemies in the cave (Nekkers I think) and I wasn't attacked by a
werewolf
. I wonder if the game glitched out on me? Then again I was killing everything in the cave in 2 hits so I probably killed him without realizing it. Guess I'll just reload and replay it to make sure.

Also, having beaten the game a few hours ago I have to say that overall I really enjoyed it. It was my first playthrough and I selected the
Roche path, so I'm looking forward to what Iorveth's path holds in store for me. I must say though, that the ending took me suddenly and by surprise as I was really expecting there to be more of a confrontation between the sorceresses and Geralt to find out what's really going on. Perhaps more will be explained on Iorveth's path. Or perhaps that's being set up for the inevitable sequel.

I was also disappointed that there was not a single mention made of
Alvin
between Geralt and Triss. It wasn't necessary, but considering he played such a major role in the first game, it would have been nice if there was even a small reference made.

You then "extinguish" or turn off or whatever it's called :) the required three symbols, for example:

S3 for Sentence 1
S2 for Sentence 2
S4 for Sentence 3

and the last symbol that's left (S1 in this case), you extinguish it last.
That's not right. Second sentence is always 2 symbols. All 4 are described in the poem.

theDeeDubs

Finishing up my Roche run on Dark. So love this game. As far as difficulty is concerned, I think a big reason it feels so spiky is due to Geralt turning his back to the enemy instead of backpedaling, 200% dmg from behind, and the way some enemies can rubberband onto you when they lunge at you while your dodging. After getting Quick Feet, Position, and Aard upgrades, combat hasn't been too bad on Dark so far. It's getting over that initial hump of a random backstab 1-shot in the beginning before getting upgraded that's tricky. I think Quen still needs some work too. I've got one upgrade in it and it still gets removed after one hit. I'd prefer it to be a +%dmg resistance buff as opposed to a 1 hit sheild. It's not totally useless now (it help me farm Nekkers in ch. 1 that's for sure), but it could still use some tweaks.

gdt

Yeah, that's it. Unfortunately, I only encountered common enemies in the cave (Nekkers I think) and I wasn't attacked by a
werewolf
. I wonder if the game glitched out on me? Then again I was killing everything in the cave in 2 hits so I probably killed him without realizing it. Guess I'll just reload and replay it to make sure.

Also, having beaten the game a few hours ago I have to say that overall I really enjoyed it. It was my first playthrough and I selected the
Roche path, so I'm looking forward to what Iorveth's path holds in store for me. I must say though, that the ending took me suddenly and by surprise as I was really expecting there to be more of a confrontation between the sorceresses and Geralt to find out what's really going on. Perhaps more will be explained on Iorveth's path. Or perhaps that's being set up for the inevitable sequel.

I was also disappointed that there was not a single mention made of
Alvin
between Geralt and Triss. It wasn't necessary, but considering he played such a major role in the first game, it would have been nice if there was even a small reference made.

There was a reference to the Grand Master though. I think Geralt called him "mad" (as in crazy).

Ourobolus

Banned
Ok, getting pissed. Anyone have any tips for the fight in the Mist during Eternal Battle? It's 4 on 1 (sure, you get a little help but on Dark difficulty my cohorts might as well be made out of paper), you have no Signs, can't dodge, can only parry, and pretty much no advantages whatsoever.

EDIT: Of course, I post then finally make it. Man, what a pain that was.

Dresden

Ok, getting pissed. Anyone have any tips for the fight in the Mist during Eternal Battle? It's 4 on 1 (sure, you get a little help but on Dark difficulty my cohorts might as well be made out of paper), you have no Signs, can't dodge, can only parry, and pretty much no advantages whatsoever.

Just go for the standard bearer, that's about it. Run away if you get swarmed.

Ourobolus

Banned
Just go for the standard bearer, that's about it. Run away if you get swarmed.

That really wasn't working too well. I kept getting surrounded, and there's not a whole lot of room to run. I eventually did it by hauling ass into the fray and trying to take out a guard quickly, then I managed to get behind a second one and (almost) take him out. Then I just parried a shit-ton, killed the second, then third guy. After that it wasn't too bad.

Really it just mattered to get in there and do as much damage as possible before my allies got wiped.

Dresden

That really wasn't working too well. I kept getting surrounded, and there's not a whole lot of room to run. I eventually did it by hauling ass into the fray and trying to take out a guard quickly, then I managed to get behind a second one and (almost) take him out. Then I just parried a shit-ton, killed the second, then third guy. After that it wasn't too bad.

Really it just mattered to get in there and do as much damage as possible before my allies got wiped.

Two runs on Dark and that's what I did both times. It's too frustrating to take out anything else.

I was lucky to be on the sword path when I played dark, because it turns out riposte still works in the mist, even though everything else doesn't.

xion4360

3 of the 4 saved games seem to not want to load up and forced me back to the oldest autosave. What is up with this.

Finished both paths, some final thoughts:

Iorveth vs. Roche - While Roche is a boss (his
de-balling of Dethmold
was particularly badass), I much preferred Iorveth's path, at least story and character-wise. Saskia is awesome, more Zolton is better, Philippa is better than Dethmold, the
succubus
quest was cool, and
Stennis
stuff was interesting. Vergen is terrible so it loses points there but the story is much more personal than Roche's path. Roche is much more about the business so he didn't have the same emotional investment that Iorveth did. Neither Henselt or Dethmold is particularly likeable, either
ESPECIALLY at the end of Act 2

Dragon -
Not sure which path you should do first because they both provide a pretty interesting view of Saskia being the dragon. Either doing Roche's path first and not knowing the dragon is Saskia or doing Iorveth's first and not being able to save her in Roche's path knowing who it actually is.
Really interesting conundrum.

Triss -
Interesting that the achievements for the game, regardless of the path you are on, are only attainable if you choose to not go rescue Triss in Loc Muinne, which results in her not being at the conclave and ending a much more gruesome Loc Muinne at the very end of the game. They probably didn't want to mess with the lore of the books too much but it would have been BALLSY to have Triss get Philippa'd or Ves'd if you didn't go and rescue her. Or at least have her be a bit angry at Geralt for leaving her to Letho.

Hook-ups - Managed to bed
Triss, Cynthia, Ves, a succubus, a random elf I saved in a fire, and a prostitute.
I appreciate that the sex was handled relatively tastefully and adult but there was a bit too much of it for me. Not that there is an amount of sex that is too much but it was just too easy to bed someone and the majority of the women in the game were prostitutes or willing to drop trow after a couple of dialogue options.

The story - Very well written and interesting...when I knew what the fuck was going on. There were too many characters, too many names, too many kingdoms/places all being thrown into the story that I lost track of what was going on quite frequently. I generally understood the micro of the situation Geralt was in but couldn't quite grasp the macro. Not sure if playing the first game would have helped there or I just have difficulty with stories like this.

All in all - Loved The Witcher 2 and everything it brought. An astoundingly beautiful game. Tremendous writing and voice-acting top to bottom. Sidequests (aside from the monster nest ones) added a lot to the game and actually enhanced (pun intended) the story. Could go on and on but this is getting to be too much already.

Goldrush

Saskia is such an out-of-place character. Both games makes you expect moral ambiguity from all the characters. However, there really isn't anything that is questionable about her motives or actions at all.

Triss -
They probably didn't want to mess with the lore of the books too much but it would have been BALLSY to have Triss get Philippa'd or Ves'd if you didn't go and rescue her. Or at least have her be a bit angry at Geralt for leaving her to Letho.
Long term it's probably important to have her at Geralt's side in Witcher 3, now that Yennifer is becoming a focus. Which is why they outright ignored the relationship choices from the first game, once they settled on the plot going forward. So at worst she's your fallback relationship, much like in the books. At best she's a serious relationship, which puts her on more equal ground with Yennifer when you 3 finally meet. But they've never been afraid to maim or kill people from the books in the games. I'm constantly surprised as I read the books and run into characters that they've killed off in the game world.

Steaks

250k sales is pretty good considering the game has been out on PC forever. Wish it got more though, The Witcher 2 is really good :(

gdt

Saskia is such an out-of-place character. Both games makes you expect moral ambiguity from all the characters. However, there really isn't anything that is questionable about her motives or actions at all.

No, but I like how a chat with her at the very end reveals a bit of cunning on her part, especially in regards to Iorveth.

Card Boy

Banned
So, for maximum potential of ownage: Magic, Swordmanship, or Alchemy?

I'm personally focusing Swordmanship, got Alchemy up to impregnate for the 35% extra mutagen effects and focusing on Quen in the sorcery tree.

I have 3 critical effects mutagens so far that give me almost 20% chance per hit to do bleeding, incinirate, freeze, stun, poison. I can raise some effects through runes on a sword.

Maybe the game will have a steady flow of sales numbers in the coming weeks.

It's not terrible, but it's certainly not what I was hoping for. Maybe some good word of mouth will help it out. : )

2AdEPT

Great, now I scratched my 2nd disc and can't continue.
Anyone knows what can I do? :(

many stores sell insurance for that...but if you didn't purchase it it is no help. uf u are pc all u have to do is enter your key on gog.com and you can download your backup copy for free.

Card Boy

Banned
Ok i got 4 critical effects mutagens at 20% chance to Burn, Poison, Stun, Freeze and Bleed. I got crit effects chance stuff from other talents aswell. Not to mention the Sword i got with 3 Sun runes in it.

Sooogood.gif

gAIP8.jpg

I get so many instant kills.

I still have got the Armor of Ysgith yet.

Just booted this up on my new PC and it looks utterly amazing. So far I'm only just past the tutorial area but everything seems to be running stable on my overclocks, only annoying thing is it's had me notice a dead pixel on my monitor but I think I'll live.

I was just wondering if there's any add ons that I should install or console changes I should make for things outside of performance? Should I be registering it before I go any further? Also is there away or playing the game without the CD running without dling the GOG backup?

So I'm now in Chapter 3 and doing the Lillie and Vipers quest. At the moment
I have to proof if the letters is real. So I went to the drunk dude who is drunk and cannot help because he is drunk.(Yes I tried to be funny and going to stop now) Now I'm trying to mixture the real portion. "Light, quench, shit, rinse. Thus you will the face evince. To read the truth by lies deformed, guano into piss transform." Okay So I have to heat up the flask, quench it, put shit into it and rinse it? But how? Can anyone help me?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I have to proof if the letters is real. So I went to the drunk dude who is drunk and cannot help because he is drunk.(Yes I tried to be funny and going to stop now) Now I'm trying to mixture the real portion. "Light, quench, shit, rinse. Thus you will the face evince. To read the truth by lies deformed, guano into piss transform." Okay So I have to heat up the flask, quench it, put shit into it and rinse it? But how? Can anyone help me?

The stuff u need is around in that area, then use the work bench there to use them. Don't remember the order myself.

Ourobolus

Banned
Damn, I wish I'd known that you can't
continuously challenge the guy to arm wrestling in Act 3
before I left Act 2. Grinding for the Kinslayer's Armor is gonna take forever. :'(

Lingitiz

Maybe the game will have a steady flow of sales numbers in the coming weeks.

It's not terrible, but it's certainly not what I was hoping for. Maybe some good word of mouth will help it out. : )
Those are pretty solid sales for what they are. Remember the game sold over a million on PC alone last year. You can bet its gonna see alot of success over time with Steam sales, GOG, etc. It hasn't really been discounted all that heavily up to this point (lowest was $20?).

iavi

What's kind of interesting is how with the release of the Enhanced Edition for 360 they had also a new peak in sales for the PC version, which was in the top three of Steam sales for few days despise not having any relevant price cut.

Yeah, and not even a few days, but in the top three - mostly at #1 for a bit over a week, and only recently left the top 20. That's Steam alone. They definitely made their money.

Dresden

Letho is my fave, hands down. Game needed a Letho route where you bro up with Letho and you do Letho things with Letho.

I hate to ask this, because it ruins the very nature of the game, but (chapter 1 end spoilers)
who is the more interesting person to side with, story wise, Roche or Iorveth? I won't be doing a second run for a while and I want to experience the best store first.

Dresden

I hate to ask this, because it ruins the very nature of the game, but (chapter 1 end spoilers)
who is the more interesting person to side with, story wise, Roche or Iorveth? I won't be doing a second run for a while and I want to experience the best store first.

I though
Roche was more interesting.

Seriously, the lack of good checkpoints in this game is driving me nuts. I hate being accosted by a person in a town, then getting killed, and having to start back at the beginning of another quest.

Naito

1. Add burnt lime.
2. Add water.
3. Add cormorant guano.
4. Add heat to the flask to capture the vapors.

Top Bottom