• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Vestal

Gold Member
Easy_D said:
OC to 3.8ghz on Stock cooling on a 8400? Did you test it out with Prime95 and stuff to ensure it's stable? Because if you can get 3.8 on a 8400 then it shouldn't be too hard for me clock my 8500 at 3.8 on stock, considering the 8500 is supposed to be easier to overclock due to a higher multiplier. I have fiddled around some before and got it OC'd to 3.2 but never beyond that.

Edit: Just read that 3.6ghz OC is absolutely (safe enough) safe on stock cooling on a E8500 cpu, suppose I could give that a try and see if my framerate improves :).

Edit #2: Doing even more research it seems 3.6 is a golden OC on stock cooling, gah, if only I had found this out earlier. Totally gonna fiddle with it when I get home, long and boring process with torture tests and temp checking but hey, if it works it'll be worth it :).

Yeah, I usually do research on OC capabilities before I buy a processor. I know with a little more work I can get it to 4ghz OC with a different cooler but it could take a bit more work and fiddling with the core voltage which I dont care for hehe..

Gluck with it, hope u can squeeze the extra juice sir.

Kyaw

ChuckNoLuck said:
I think I need help here.

Got the game on Steam and when I launch it, this appears on my screen, http://i.imgur.com/xo5ag.png and when I click "Launch game" this appears in the corner http://i.imgur.com/IRBWZ.png, but then that goes away and then the launcher appears again?

I'm new to PC and Steam games so, what gives?

Official website support page said:
Game doesn't start, goes back to launcher

Please try the following possible solutions:

1) Turn all settings to Application-Controlled in the Catalyst Control Center.

2) Disable the second GPU from Crossfire configurations until ATI officially adds support for The Witcher 2 in Catalyst drivers.

3) Try running the game in windowed mode.

4) Run the game with horizontal resolution no higher than than 1920, and set the desktop to the same resolution as the game.

5) Ensure that the game was installed with administrator privileges - Windows UAC settings set to minimum or setup.exe from DVD opened with privileges.

Also: Go to User Account Control Settings.

Type in UAC, or go to the System and Security applet.

Click on the "Change User Account Control Settings" link.

(You can also type in this command from the Run menu: C:\Windows\System32\UserAccountControlSettings.exe)

To turn off UAC, move the slider to the Never Notify position, and then click OK. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Try this.

JohngPR

Alextended said:
I can't bother testing enough to confirm this but pressing start to enter the menu and then inventory etc (with gamepad) took aaaaaaaaaages to load. Now, after deleting most saves it's gotten pretty damn quick, so, maybe it (stupidly) tries to load all those BMPs even before you click "load game" in that menu which is why it takes so long to bring up the main screen? If you get such a delay try deleting all the old saves or something, you could back them up first as well. This change in behaviour could also be due to changing my settings but I don't think that's it, I was playing arond with them a little but I've been tweaking since I got it and never saw such a substantial difference before.
Thanks for the tip...works great. TW1 had a similar issue when you wnt to the SAVE menu.

JohngPR

RedSwirl said:
It's actually not the music that's a problem much of the time, but the background ambience and I imagine they're both part of "Sound" in the audio menu (or is the voice volume consistent no matter what)?
Ah ok. For me it seemed like the music overpowered the conversations and it helped a bit. I ended up putting the music up to 5 and I like it here.

Minsc

Gold Member
ChuckNoLuck said:
I think I need help here.

Got the game on Steam and when I launch it, this appears on my screen, http://i.imgur.com/xo5ag.png and when I click "Launch game" this appears in the corner http://i.imgur.com/IRBWZ.png, but then that goes away and then the launcher appears again?

I'm new to PC and Steam games so, what gives?

Specs? You don't have DPI scaling enabled do you?

Try right clicking on steam > properties > local files > verify

Also run Steam\steamapps\common\the witcher 2\bin\Configurator.exe

And make sure your options are what you want. You can also click that register button, setup a quick username/password, and Steam will auto-enter your serial # then you'll have access to the DLC.

Edit: oops, way late.

DSN2K

very happy with my performance, I originally was playing in 1080p but dropped the res to 720 and really stabilised performance, Currently deep into Chapter 1.

Windows 7
ATI 5770 1GB - 11.5 Drivers
4GB DDR3
Athlon II x3 445 3.2ghz
45fps average
25fps lowest

spec.jpg

GJS

xXJonoXx said:
I'm playing 1920x1080p at High Settings on a GTX 460 with my FPS capped at 30 and my GPU with the fan at 100% is playing at about 86-90c temps with great cooling in my case.

Either there is something seriously wrong with my card (it has never been this hot playing a game before) or this game really does push it to the limit. Either way it makes me scared for it.
Damn, my 460 gets to a maximum of about 60C playing this, something isn't right here.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
henhowc said:
Is this game coming to consoles?
This has been asked and answered multiple times. The game works great with a controller on PC, and CDPR have said they're interested in doing a console version. So for now, I will say "probably".

thetrin said:
This has been asked and answered multiple times. The game works great with a controller on PC, and CDPR have said they're interested in doing a console version. So for now, I will say "probably".

The interesting thing is that will it come out this generation or next? I'm pretty sure this will require some hits on texture quality and what not to get it to run properly on current gen consoles even though it is dx9.

Here are stats. Please don't laugh at me. I just wanted to play the game even at low.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Processor
3.00 GhZ
8.00GB
ATI Radeon HD 4650

I have pretty interesting feedback.

I originally had 45-55 FPS with Ultra (Uber off) at 1080p on my GTX 580, 2600k @ stock. OC'd the CPU to 4.5 GHz and turned off hyper threading, and now get 60+ FPS pretty much all the time. I'm betting it's the OC, but maybe turning of HT may give a performance boost.

vocab

Rahxephon91 said:
Here are stats. Please don't laugh at me. I just wanted to play the game even at low.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Processor
3.00 GhZ
8.00GB
ATI Radeon HD 4650

Video card is the only thing that's holding you back. Not sure what low performance you would get honestly.

Carm

Unless you're having major issues I'd stay away from the current Nvidia beta drivers. I figured I'd check to see if I would gain any fps switching to them from the current official release. I went from 40-50fps in cutscenes to 17-20fps, I'm sure it changed out of cutscenes too but I wasn't watching fraps. I didn't install the 3d drivers in either install so that couldn't be the issue. I'm using a evga 460gtx superclocked currently.

xXJonoXx said:
I'm playing 1920x1080p at High Settings on a GTX 460 with my FPS capped at 30 and my GPU with the fan at 100% is playing at about 86-90c temps with great cooling in my case.

Either there is something seriously wrong with my card (it has never been this hot playing a game before) or this game really does push it to the limit. Either way it makes me scared for it.

My gpu doesn't go above 65 with the fan at 40% on high settings. What is your idle temp on the card? Mine seems to hover between 27-33 depending on how cold I get my room.

vocab said:
Video card is the only thing that's holding you back. Not sure what low performance you would get honestly.
So you're saying low is probably out of my reach. Shucks. Do you recomend any type of graphics card? Not one that will break the bank. I myself am not looking to play this game on ultra.

Carm

Rahxephon91 said:
So you're saying low is probably out of my reach. Shucks. Do you recomend any type of graphics card? Not one that will break the bank. I myself am not looking to play this game on ultra.

I have the same processor and ram as you, videocard is evga 460gtx superclocked. I get 30-55ish on high settings.

JADS

Hari Seldon said:
Can someone explain how exactly I do this? I downloaded the Radeon Pro tool and the Catalyst official application profiles from AMD's page, but I don't see any Dirt 2 profile in the Radeon Pro tool. Sorry for being an idiot I have never used this before. If I go to the Dirt 2 profile on the Radeon Pro page, there is no download link that I can see, it says "This feature is receiving a few adjustments before going public and will be ready soon."

I don't have a Crossfire card and I don't have TW2 yet, but:

1. Create a profile for The Wither 2
2. Tweaks -> Force CrossfireX Profile

crossfirexrc8r.png

3. In the drop down menu of "Force CrossfireX Profile" (Greyed out part of the screenshot), select Dirt 2
4. MVPUMode should be set to AFR (Alternative Frame Rendering)

That should do the trick, but I am not a 100% certain.

Ryn

Quick question:

I currently have an AMD Phenom II X4 B50 Processor @ 3.10 GHz and a Radeon 4890 video card. Right now The Witcher 2 is not running as well as I would like, and I'm wondering if my CPU is already holding the game back or if a better GPU would help. If the latter, what GPU should I go for? Is there any chance of me running the game well on High? Or is my only option a new processor and video card combo?

Ryn said:
Quick question:

I currently have an AMD Phenom II X4 B50 Processor @ 3.10 GHz and a Radeon 4890 video card. Right now The Witcher 2 is not running as well as I would like, and I'm wondering if my CPU is already holding the game back or if a better GPU would help. If the latter, what GPU should I go for? Is there any chance of me running the game well on High? Or is my only option a new processor and video card combo?

Wait for patches and new AMD drivers. If it still isn't running as well as you'd like, pick up a 6950 2 GB.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sanjay said:
It costs like £1k, how the hell is that a lightweight machine?

Well, I guess it's lightweight compared to its £2k big brothers xD

edit : fuck me in the ass, the macbooks can go for up to 3600 pounds here. Yikes.

Durante

Sanjay said:
It costs like £1k, how the hell is that a lightweight machine?
It's lightweight in performance compared to a 500€ desktop PC.

Anyway, after uninstalling the 3D vision drivers I couldn't be happier with this game's performance. The graphics on high settings more than justify the required hardware IMHO.

Kerrinck

Has there been any solution to that long delay it takes to access the main menu? Sometimes it takes up to 20 seconds.
Is it performance related?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Kerrinck said:
Has there been any solution to that long delay it takes to access the main menu? Sometimes it takes up to 20 seconds.
Is it performance related?

How many save files do you have in your save folder? Try deleting half of them and check back for me

Rahxephon91 said:

You'll be sitting pretty with a GTX 560 or a 6870. Both are <$200

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Anyone else getting some weird shadows? Mine seem like... crosshatched. I'm not sure what the term is or if there even is one.

Edit: Derp, dithering. Not sure what I was thinking

Minsc

Gold Member
Sanjay said:
Not really fare comparing it to a desktop, because its still lightweight in performance compared to a 1000£ laptop PC:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004BU0XE8/

Also has thee been any more news on the cracked witcher2.exe giving better performance? does it work with the Steam release?

Steam release doesn't have SecureROM so that's highly unlikely. The only thing it should do is shorten the initial load, I'm a little skeptical about any other claims unless there's a very thorough A > B > A test, not just A > B.

Stahsky said:
Anyone else getting some weird shadows? Mine seem like... crosshatched. I'm not sure what the term is or if there even is one.

Edit: Derp, dithering. Not sure what I was thinking
Everyone is getting them. It's part of the RED Engine.

Sanjay

Minsc said:
Steam release doesn't have SecureROM so that's highly unlikely. The only thing it should do is shorten the initial load, I'm a little skeptical about any other claims unless there's a very thorough A > B > A test, not just A > B.

Well I guess that's why the performance I'm getting is great. Just thought this might net me more.

marcurius

Ok, so I have an Acer Aspire 5740G laptop, specs:

i5-430M
4GB Ram
Radeon HD 5650 11.5 drivers (overclocked to 650 Mhz on the core and 900 Mhz on the memory)

I followed the hints in the Guide for gaming laptops in the OP, updating my chipset drivers. Unfortunately I think ThrottleStop made my processor too hot, as the computer shut itself off when playing with it turned on.

I got decent performance in the prologue using medium-high settings (with no AA, SSAO, blur, DOF, bloom), ending up with sub 30 fps in busy scenes and sometimes above 40 in the dungeon. However, when I reached Flotsam the fps stayed at sub 30-fps levels at all times (unless I look up into the trees basically), and this is just unplayable in my book. I tried lowering the settings to the lowest with everything turned off which did provide a slight boost, hovering around 30 fps. Unfortunately, it also made the game look quite terrible, to the point where it's a major detriment for my enjoyment of the game.

So can I expect that eventual patching of the game or new drivers will make performance on at least medium settings improve to the point where I can have a steady 30+ fps in most areas of the game? Or is my laptop simply not up for the task? If it isn't, I guess I'll just have to shelve the game until I get myself a new desktop (which will be quite some time away, since I'm a dirt poor student).

MNC

5650M is just a medium end so you can't expect more of it. I'm probably in the same boat with my GT 540M (I don't have witcher 2 yet, plan on buying after I complete 1)

You're either gonna have to accept the framerate or the lower quality (or wait for some eventual patching though I have my doubts about the increase of performance in the future)

What resolution are you playing at?

J. M. Romeo said:
Buddy of mine is playing this on his 13'' Mac Book Pro, the lowest model, and these are the results.

http://i.imgur.com/mN77M.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/J4bGg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/nmCtS.jpg

He just wanted to share this with you. Apparently you can play on lowish settings on such a lightweight machine.
What are the macbook specs?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
BoobPhysics101 said:
Wait for patches and new AMD drivers. If it still isn't running as well as you'd like, pick up a 6950 2 GB.
This is the go to card and an excellent bang for buck option, especially if you flash it. I'm getting about the best frame rates for a single card setup outside of 590 or 6990 results. I turned on motion blur and it bothers me a little AND I get more screen tearing. It's going back off :O

toasty_T said:
You'll be sitting pretty with a GTX 560 or a 6870. Both are <$200
I would spend a tiny but more and go for a 2GB 6950. You won't regret it. That card has smoked any game I throw at it. Minus uber setups like this games ubersampling which still runs at 30 fps for me.

I have the 5650M also, it's frustrating because the framerate sits just below 30 in busy areas. It doesnt matter what resolution or settings i have, fps hardly changes. I'm hoping the patch or new drivers are enough to get it to a minimum 30.

marcurius

I'm playing at 1366x768.

Anyway, what do you know. I tried booting up the game again with the same medium-high settings, and now I get 25 fps minimum and sometimes up to 40 fps maximum, in the same area I didn't get over 30 fps when I posted my last post. And I haven't changed a thing, not even rebooted the computer.

Definitely hoping for a patch soon.

Micerider

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but it would seems that, aside from nVidia's driver, there would be another reason for major performancehit : DRM .

A guy on a french gaming forum did some testing with the retail version : with DRM and without (using GoG's version .exe and dll -I know, barely legal, but he bought the game afterall-).

The results are baffling, about 40% fps increase with ubersampling on on a GTX590.

Others on the same forum have tested the tip with other rigs (single-GPU) and reached a good 10 to 15 fps increase.

Never had the problem (using GoG version anyway) but his might interest those running other versions.

Here's the forum link (in french) :

http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/57008-The-Witcher-2-Je-comprends-pas-%C3%A7a-rame%21/page24

Edit : apparently, this issue has been found out on Guru3D as well, here's the link :

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=344749

Salaadin

epmode said:
Strange. The Steam version currently has no SecuROM, right?

Wasnt there something with the Steam version not having DRM but the DRM files are still there. I might be remembering it wrong but I think saw another forum arguing over whether or not it did because Steam and CDPR said it doesnt but those who downloaded from Steam were able to locate the DRM files.

Minsc

Gold Member
epmode said:
Strange. The Steam version currently has no SecuROM, right?

Correct, they never replaced their dummy files or something from what I understand, but it's SecureROM free. I'll include the info in the OP, as it seems to be true. That sucks, hopefully they address that in the patch.

It would be nice if EvolveTom or someone from CDP could comment on this.

GuessWho

CPU: Phenom II X4 955
GPU: 8800gt
Resolution:1680
high settings, but somehow still looks average due to medium textures.
Performance: quite playable, stutters a bit, but is butt ugly.

AIRic

I really want to play this, but I'm not sure how my good ol' 9800GTX+ would perform with this game. I have a quad-core CPU and 6 GB of RAM. I'm satisfied with Crysis 2 performance @ 1680x1050, but TW2 seems like a whole different beast...

Hixx

Micerider said:
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but it would seems that, aside from nVidia's driver, there wouldbe another reason for major performancehit : DRM .

A guy on a french gaming forum did some testing with the retail version : with DRM and without (using GoG's version .exe and dll -I know, barely legal, but he bought the game afterall-).

The results are baffling, about 40% fps increase with ubersampling on on a GTX590.

Others on the same forum have tested the tip with other rigs (single-GPU) and reached a good 10 to 15 fps increase.

Never had the problem (using GoG version anyway) but his might interest those running other versions.

Here's the forum link (in french) :

http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/57008-The-Witcher-2-Je-comprends-pas-%C3%A7a-rame%21/page24

Edit : apparently, this issue has been found out on Guru3D as well, here's the link :

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=344749

I've got the retail version and will probably check this out after todays football. If it does improve performance I will be rather quite angry.

M.D

KAL2006 said:
How will it look on my rig

CPU: Phenom X3 720 2.8GHz
GPU: ATI 4870 1GB
RAM: 4GB

I have the same rig expect the CPU which is E8400 in my case

Runs like shit even on low

epmode

I've decided that gameplay DOF can go die. I don't mind the camera telling my eyes where to focus during cutscenes but nuts to that when it comes to general exploration. The long-distance blurring especially hurts on high-resolution displays.

Thankfully, we have the option of turning it off! God bless PC gaming.

Top Bottom