• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Minsc

Gold Member
It'll be nice to clear like 1/4th of the info from the OP when SLI/xFire drivers come out, hopefully next week.

Inferno313 said:
So, I know I'm kind of just at min specs. But I was wondering if you guys could help me get this running at 30fpsish in 720p.

Right now I only get between 15-25 FPS even on low in
720p.

These are my specs:
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
512 GDDR3
4 GB RAM
2.66GHz Intel Core i7-620m

My guess is the 330M is below minimum spec, but I'm not entirely sure. What's the desktop equivalent of that card?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Playing through the prologue with a DS3 and the game is running pretty smooth. Feels like 25-30, some parts get a little bit choppy, but overall runs pretty well.

C2D E4400 @ 3.0ghz
2gigs ram
gtx 260 core 216

Running at high spec @ 1080p with some changes. I'll look when i get to my home computer later today. Also using the nvidia beta drivers which also boosted performance on other games i was playing like Crysis 2. Hope some more optimized drivers from nvidia come out to see if i can gain a little more performance.

irishcow

I've been playing for a couple hours and now in Flotsam. I haven't recorded FPS but the game runs incredibly smooth and I haven't noticed a single slowdown. Running at 1920X1080 and everything on highest setting with ubersampling off. I guess I got lucky?

Specs:

2500k at 4.5ghz
8GB Ram
6950 2GB OC'd

Wazzim

Banned
I just connceted my controller and will probably play like this till some performance patch comes out. Sub-60fps feels alot better with a controller than with m&k and the game is clearly made for it.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
irishcow said:
I've been playing for a couple hours and now in Flotsam. I haven't recorded FPS but the game runs incredibly smooth and I haven't noticed a single slowdown. Running at 1920X1080 and everything on highest setting with ubersampling off. I guess I got lucky?

Specs:

2500k at 4.5ghz
8GB Ram
6950 2GB OC'd

Don't really think it's a case of being lucky or not rather some people being more sensitive to slowdown. Just in this thread we have tastes ranging from " 25 fps is smooth to me " to " 58 fps is unplayable "

Kyaw

Corky said:
Don't really think it's a case of being lucky or not rather some people being more sensitive to slowdown. Just in this thread we have tastes ranging from " 25 fps is smooth to me " to " 58 fps is unplayable "

I am fine with anything above 30fps. Cant stand sub 20s. Although 60fps or higher is ideal for the most fluid motion, with this game i won't get that with a single 480 with maximum eye candy.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I really am fine with a 25-30 and no lower if the game is going to look like this. Luckily I share the same specs are the user a few posts above and am staying at 60fps or higher almost all the time. I try and not run fraps as much during this game because I think it caused issues but I can't really be sure. The only concession I've made is turning off motion blur but that's merely for preference and not to save on frame rate.

Salaadin

Wazzim said:
Does MLAA always look like this on PC? Some objects seem to have alot more aliasing than I would have with MSAA.

When I activated MLAA with this game, it looked like ass. MLAA usually doesnt look this bad with PC games but it does for TW for some reason. AT least on my 5850 it does.

Veal

Slightly OT but it's funny that I went through the prologue playing with a controller and felt that it was just ok. I wasn't a fan of the new menu system, (especially the new inventory screen! Eww!) and while the radial screen makes sense for gamepads, it's still a bit clunky. I've read impressions from many people saying that the game plays better with a gamepad, and I simply cannot agree.

I'm playing with a G13 and Razer Naga and after some customizing, it blows the controller interface away. Having all of the spells on your right thumb instantly and being able to fully customize the left hand layout completely changed this game for me! Lowering the mouse sensitivity helped immensely too. Now the game feels perfect (on the control front at least.)

Just one of the perks of PC gaming I guess. Tweak it till it works for you!

Minsc said:
It'll be nice to clear like 1/4th of the info from the OP when SLI/xFire drivers come out, hopefully next week.

My guess is the 330M is below minimum spec, but I'm not entirely sure. What's the desktop equivalent of that card?

Hmm, I don't really know. Canirunit.com told me everything met the minimum specs though.. Maybe it was wrong?

NBtoaster

Inferno313 said:
Hmm, I don't really know. Canirunit.com told me everything met the minimum specs though.. Maybe it was wrong?

Does it say at what resolution? You want 720p, but you'll probably have to compromise there.

330m is not as good as the example minimum cards (8800/3850).

NBtoaster said:
Does it say at what resolution? You want 720p, but you'll probably have to compromise there.

330m is not as good as the example minimum cards (8800/3850).

I can get it to run better at a lower resolution. But the problem is anything below 1280 x 720 becomes a little box in the middle of my screen. Is there a way to fix this? It seems like 1280 x 720 is the lowest 16:9 resolution that the game supports.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Minsc said:
The 8800 GT is 4 or 5 times the speed of a 330M.

Salaadin said:
When I activated MLAA with this game, it looked like ass. MLAA usually doesnt look this bad with PC games but it does for TW for some reason. AT least on my 5850 it does.
Just use the in-game MLAA.

Echoplx

I don't understand how the engine can use MLAA, is there comfirmation of this somewhere? MLAA is applied after the image is rendered at the end of the GPU pipeline so it should only work at a driver level.

EGM92

how would you enable MLAA within the engine?? I'm getting from 40 to 61fps my setup:

2600k @5.0ghz
16gb 1600mhz ram
Asus 5970 @ 850/1250mhz
1920x1080
40-61fps locked vsync

Kenka

EGM92 said:
how would you enable MLAA within the engine?? I'm getting from 40 to 61fps my setup:

2600k @5.0ghz
16gb 1600mhz ram
Asus 5970 @ 850/1250mhz
1920x1080
40-61fps locked vsync

Well, why have you allowed V-Sync ? I don't think I've seen the triple buffering option in the settings...

Some of you guys have rigs that are way powerful. I am sure you can run Skyrim, Battlefield and The Witcher 2 on High @ 1080p in parallel and still be above 20 FPS for each !

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
EGM92 said:

2600k @5.0ghz
16gb 1600mhz ram
Asus 5970 @ 850/1250mhz
1920x1080
40-61fps locked vsync
Holy shit at your rig. Good god that thing is a beast.

A "controller tip for anyone using a controller (which works great, btw):

I found that changing the d-pad left and right to "next" or "previous" sign really helps a lot.

By default it is set to "silver sword and steel sword" but you change swords a lot less often than you use different signs and you can always change swords with your radial menu (left trigger by default).

I also swapped left trigger and left bumper since it feels a lot more naturally to me to use the left trigger as lock on and use the left bumper as the radial.

It is way faster to change signs now and I can do without ever pausing combat or even without pausing my combos. Game plays awesome now with a controller.

Hari Seldon

BoobPhysics101 said:
Reposted for the new page:

CROSSFIRE USERS! Try this!

From nvnews forums:
Quote:
Radeon Pro with the Dirt 2 Crossfire profile forced and Alternate Frame Rendering enabled = Both of my cards working at 95%+ and my performance is great now!

Hopefully doesn't cause flickering for any of you...

Can someone explain how exactly I do this? I downloaded the Radeon Pro tool and the Catalyst official application profiles from AMD's page, but I don't see any Dirt 2 profile in the Radeon Pro tool. Sorry for being an idiot I have never used this before. If I go to the Dirt 2 profile on the Radeon Pro page, there is no download link that I can see, it says "This feature is receiving a few adjustments before going public and will be ready soon."

longdi

Banned
i will wait for 16:10 patch before ploughing through. Using 360 gamepad and vsync, there is some input lag which disappear if i undo vysnc...so sad because TW2 works perfectly with a game pad!

JohngPR

RedSwirl said:
Has anybody else sometimes had a problem hearing characters' voices over the background noise?

I missed a lot of the conversations going on during the battle in the Prologue, and I can barely hear things people say at the Inn in Flotsam. It really sucks this game doesn't have a separate voice volume slider. That same problem actually made me miss the ENTIRE storyline of Far Cry 2. Anybody else figured out a way around this?

You can turn the music down though under options. It's ridiculously loud, as loud as the voices. I turned it down to 3/10 and that seems about right.

dejan

Dragged my pc into the living room and switched to a more conservative 1080p@60fps setting (ultra minus ubersampling). Seeing this game on a good plasma ... man. I've just started chapter 1 and I'm in constant awe by how well the tech and art style work hand in hand.
One thing that's annoying me a bit is the gamepad controls in some of the menus. To call them clunky would be flattering.

Hari Seldon said:
Can someone explain how exactly I do this? I downloaded the Radeon Pro tool and the Catalyst official application profiles from AMD's page, but I don't see any Dirt 2 profile in the Radeon Pro tool. Sorry for being an idiot I have never used this before. If I go to the Dirt 2 profile on the Radeon Pro page, there is no download link that I can see, it says "This feature is receiving a few adjustments before going public and will be ready soon."

No, you need to click on the "Tweeks" tab and select The Witcher on the left hand side (after you have put in the program) and Dirt 2 profile on the right. Then below the Dirt 2 profile select, there is another menu where you can select altered frame rendering.

However, I wouldn't recommend it. Everyone I know that has tried it eventually gets flickering whenever there are in game light sources. It's really damn annoying.

dejan said:
Dragged my pc into the living room and switched to a more conservative 1080p@60fps setting (ultra minus ubersampling). Seeing this game on a good plasma ... man. I've just started chapter 1 and I'm in constant awe by how well the tech and art style work hand in hand.
One thing that's annoying me a bit is the gamepad controls in some of the menus. To call them clunky would be flattering.

Not too bad once you understand that they work on an "up and down" principle typically. I was trying to follow the curve around the spell selection and that clearly doesn't work.

And LB and RB cycle through your inventory categories while A will equip it. Even works for equipping stuff into your pockets.

The game just doesn't have a good controller explanation for the menus seems to be the main problem.

Fëanor

Fëanor said:
Medium settings over here.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770
Resolution: 1600x900
Framerate: 30-60 fps

I achieve a little less performance playing the game on high settings. Still playable, ultra on the other hand killed me completely with FPS raging from 10-18 at the highest lol.

Wazzim

Banned
3chopl0x said:
I don't understand how the engine can use MLAA, is there comfirmation of this somewhere? MLAA is applied after the image is rendered at the end of the GPU pipeline so it should only work at a driver level.
I don't know how they did it but it isn't good at getting rid of the aliasing.

scitek

I turned off in-game AA and used AMD's instead for a while. I don't know which I prefer, but AMD's method has fewer jaggies, though probably at the expense of overall quality.

RedSwirl

By the way, is it bad if my normally quiet 6850 reaches jet engine levels on this game?

Even when playing the first Crysis I could barely hear the fan on the card. But on TW1, this game, and Crysis 2 it's almost as loud as the 8800GT was.

mxgt

Banned
RedSwirl said:
By the way, is it bad if my normally quiet 6850 reaches jet engine levels on this game?

Even when playing the first Crysis I could barely hear the fan on the card. But on TW1, this game, and Crysis 2 it's almost as loud as the 8800GT was.

Crysis 2 and TW2 make almost 100% usage of my card unlike every other game I own so naturally they're going to be quite a bit louder.

mr stroke

Hari Seldon said:

+1

I would like to know step by step if anyone knows.

and is the general consensus that this works(with out flickering) with Crossfire? I would really like to play this now, but my 6990 is only using one card and it sucks waiting for a driver update :(

EGM92

Kenka said:
Well, why have you allowed V-Sync ? I don't think I've seen the triple buffering option in the settings...

Some of you guys have rigs that are way powerful. I am sure you can run Skyrim, Battlefield and The Witcher 2 on High @ 1080p in parallel and still be above 20 FPS for each !

I have V-sync enabled because I don't like the screen tearing, it's pretty bad on any game if I don't enable it. The AA within the game is just bad, the jaggies are horrible, I just wanted to see if it would make a difference for me. What would the triple buffering option do? It's listed within Radeon Pro and the CCC drivers settings.

spicy cho

I changed my OC back to stock when playing and I'm getting 30-55fps (usually in the 40s) with everything turned to ultra, no uber no AA no blur.

Specs:
i7 920 @ 3.6ghz
HD 6970
6GB DDR3 ram
res 2560x1600

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Could FRAPS be causing minor but noticable performance loss on systems that struggle with the game? I'm replaying it trying to get more out of it and I even have SSAO and bloom and such on this time (I had them on for the prologue which always run really well) when I had disabled it before yet it seems smoother in Flotsam, it does feel like it goes to about 30 fps at times but it doesn't feel annoying yet even though I'm going through areas that seemed taxing previously. Maybe it's psychological, either way I like it :p

So if I'm having pretty bad performance and I have an ati card and an AMD processor. I should just wait until they release their patches/hot fixes/ and updates?

M.D said:
I've got

CPU: E8400
GPU: ATI HD4870
RAM: 4GB

The FPS is not smooth even on low.

Any advice? Or is my PC just too old and I need a new one?

Same specs here man, I think our riggs are too old for this one :(

Salaadin

Rahxephon91 said:
So if I'm having pretty bad performance and I have an ati card and an AMD processor. I should just wait until they release their patches/hot fixes/ and updates?

WHat kind of bad performance? Just low fps? Im assuming you tweaked the settings around to no avail? Whatre your specs and what settings are you going with? Someone might be able to help.

CDPR is saying that next weeks patch will fix a lot of the issues. Theres also AMD working on a hotfix/driver update so there might be something for you there.

RedSwirl

JohngPR said:
You can turn the music down though under options. It's ridiculously loud, as loud as the voices. I turned it down to 3/10 and that seems about right.

It's actually not the music that's a problem much of the time, but the background ambience and I imagine they're both part of "Sound" in the audio menu (or is the voice volume consistent no matter what)?

Salaadin said:
WHat kind of bad performance? Just low fps? Im assuming you tweaked the settings around to no avail? Whatre your specs and what settings are you going with? Someone might be able to help.

CDPR is saying that next weeks patch will fix a lot of the issues. Theres also AMD working on a hotfix/driver update so there might be something for you there.
I'll be frank. I'm no computer dude. I just thought I'd get the game because Can You Run It said I could run it. Not that I trust that thing, but also because the game recommends high settings as well and I can run stuff like ME2 fine. My computer is nothing great, but I thought I could run it at low or mid settings.

Well I'm not at my computer right now, but I'll post my specs when I get home. Hopefully pcgaf does not make fun of me. But yes it's framerate issues and thanks for the reply.

Rufus

RedSwirl said:
It's actually not the music that's a problem much of the time, but the background ambience and I imagine they're both part of "Sound" in the audio menu (or is the voice volume consistent no matter what)?
This problem crops up pretty early. I'm thinking about the scene with the dragon in particular. There it's not just a mixing problem, but it seems like the voice actors weren't directed properly. Roche and Geralt have a conversation at volumes appropriate to the cell, even though a dragon is reigning fire on them.

Hixx

Liquid_Bike said:
Same specs here man, I think our riggs are too old for this one :(

Make sure you have the Dangling Objects Limiter on enabled. When I picked auto detect it had it disabled but it destroyed my e8400. Now it's playable on medium @ 1080p, awful in Flotsam outside but everywhere else is fine.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Don't know if this has been posted but it seems that people using a Copyprotected version of the game (IE, retail, d2d, etc) can get a pretty big increase in framerate by using the GoG .exe file. If this is true then there should be a patch out pretty soon.

One might also speculate as to why this happens, is the DRM really that shitty? Bah!

Edit: A reliable source told me it works and that Flotsam Village went from struggling to keep at 30 dips at most to 24 when there are "large crowds" instead of 18

xXJonoXx

Easy_D said:
Don't know if this has been posted but it seems that people using a Copyprotected version of the game (IE, retail, d2d, etc) can get a pretty big increase in framerate by using the GoG .exe file. If this is true then there should be a patch out pretty soon.

One might also speculate as to why this happens, is the DRM really that shitty? Bah!

Is there any way to get that .exe? Using the boxed retail version here

Easy_D

never left the stone age
xXJonoXx said:
Is there any way to get that .exe? Using the boxed retail version here
Not any ways I'm comfortable talking about on NeoGAF. Unless a mod approves :p. It's not that hard to find,

Since it seems the non GoG .exe sucks for some reason it should be patched out as it seems CDPRed know about this already. With some more performance issues ironed out later, maybe I can hope for a stable 30 fps with my dualcore :D

Edit: Flotsam forest? Was that the place that ran like doodoo? Getting 30-50 FPS on a dualcore using this fix. Damn. Now it runs about the same as the original :). Pretty nicely in places where you do actual gameplay and slowish in large crowds in cities. That works for me :D!

Helmholtz

RedSwirl said:

My PC is normally quiet, but when I play The Witcher #1 it gets extremely loud and is actually really annoying. I'm guessing that's what you're experiencing with this game.

CaLe

Does anyone know if the game can be played in 3D using an ATI card ?

I have a display with 1.4a HDMI input and an 6870, so I guess I can output in 3D.

I'm just wondering if the game supports it.

Thanks

xXJonoXx

RedSwirl said:

I'm playing 1920x1080p at High Settings on a GTX 460 with my FPS capped at 30 and my GPU with the fan at 100% is playing at about 86-90c temps with great cooling in my case.

Either there is something seriously wrong with my card (it has never been this hot playing a game before) or this game really does push it to the limit. Either way it makes me scared for it.

Minsc

Gold Member
CaLe said:
Does anyone know if the game can be played in 3D using an ATI card ?

I have a display with 1.4a HDMI input and an 6870, so I guess I can output in 3D.

I'm just wondering if the game supports it.

Thanks

Sure 3DVision (requires you trading for an nVidia card though), and iZ3D down the road. You need the right kinda of display for iZ3D though, your options may be limited, ATI's never pushed for 3D as much as nVidia.

Top Bottom