• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Salaadin

gdt5016 said:
I GOT THE SAME FUCKING THING. WHAT THE FUCK.

Game won't launch now, it keeps installing incorrectly.

Edit: When I try to re-patch it : "Installed game version is invalid or incomplete."

I cant remember what version you have. GoG? Steam? Retail?

gdt

Salaadin said:
I cant remember what version you have. GoG? Steam? Retail?

GOG.

Edit:

inJ7J.png

diztrukted said:
click options (formerly video options or video and graphics) and there should be an option to enable full screen.

If you're using the international patch, it reset your settings.

Thanks but I guess I should have done a better job of explaining my problem. When I set it to full screen, the game would not launch at all. The only way I could launch it was to set it to windows mode. After trying various things myself and scouring the internet for a solution, I found out what the problem was. I had to lower my desktop resolution to 1920 x 1080 from 2560 x 1440. Once I did that, the game would launch in full screen mode. Strange.

Salaadin

gdt5016 said:

Go the install directory, run the patcher.exe and then try starting the game.
Ive also seen people fix that by adding the witcher 2 to their trusted programs for their anti virus.

EDIT: From twitter:
@CatalystCreator
Andrew D
For Witcher 2 - we're looking at what might be causing the light-source issues in the 11.5b hotfix - stay tuned (but patience is needed)

Thanks but I guess I should have done a better job of explaining my problem. When I set it to full screen, the game would not launch at all. The only way I could launch it was to set it to windows mode. After trying various things myself and scouring the internet for a solution, I found out what the problem was. I had to lower my desktop resolution to 1920 x 1080 from 2560 x 1440. Once I did that, the game would launch in full screen mode. Strange.

Hey to people that got the international patch, does it fix the hi-res glitch?

gdt

Salaadin said:
Go the install directory, run the patcher.exe and then try starting the game.
Ive also seen people fix that by adding the witcher 2 to their trusted programs for their anti virus.

When running the patcher: "Installed game version is invalid or incomplete"

Minsc

Gold Member
Aurarian said:
No difference in performance with the patch for me(retail). Just faster loads which I got with the GOG.exe anyway.

What about memory leaks, stability, and is there an option in the settings to invert your gamepad/mouse now?

Salaadin

gdt5016 said:
Ummm, MSE.

And The Witcher 2 can go through the firewall.

Found this post:

Figured it out!!!

I am using windows 7 and turning off real time protection in Microsoft security essentials before installing game. That is not enough. YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE THAT "MICROSOFT ANTIMALWARE SERVICE" is stopped via Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services.

Run the patcher.exe with this service off and the game will patch.

You can turn on Microsoft Security Essentials back on then (which will start the antimalware service)

Theres a thread on the GOG forums related to that issue youre having, thats where that post came from:
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/use_launcher_to_activate_game/page2

Aurarian

Minsc said:
What about memory leaks, stability, and is there an option in the settings to invert your gamepad/mouse now?

The game was stable before the patch as well. It never crashed while I was running around in the prologue/chapter 1. No leaks either(now or then)and there is an option to invert the x/y axis on my gamepad but I don't play inverted.

Zero9X

Neo Member
Are the servers currently down again? Just made formatted and reinstalled windows & this. Won't let me do the activation key, it just keeps closing after i enter it in.

It has been said 100 times but the patch isn't live yet. I believe it will be patched through the launcher.

Yeah they're having server issues.

Salaadin

gdt5016 said:
Okay, gonna give this a shot. Wonder why it didn't affect me when I first installed it or when I patched it this morning...?

Installing now.

Good luck.

Theres a few other fixes in that thread so you might want to skim it.

gdt

Salaadin said:
Good luck.

Theres a few other fixes in that thread so you might want to skim it.

Didn't do anything for me.

I'm ready to toss my computer out the window.

Edit: I am just having the worst luck with all this shit. Fucking pc gaming...

I get 50-60fps everywhere I go except one place: the rose bath in chapter 1. I drop to around 30fps there -- it's really demanding on my 6950. Any reasons/guesses?

gdt

Now I'm getting a totally different error message! This is insane.

Edit: Unable to load cooked 'globals\controls.csv'. Make sure resource was gathered and check log for details.

Callstack:

<unknown-symbol> - <unknown-file>
BaseThreadInitThunk()+18 - <unknown-file>
RtlInitializeExceptionChain()+99 - <unknown-file>
RtlInitializeExceptionChain()+54 - <unknown-file>

Script callstack:

EMPTY

Salaadin

Solo said:
Get the Steam version, gdt. I haven't had ANY problems. You are in a living nightmare right now.

I have the GOG version like him and had zero issues.

Whenever you reinstall the game, do you uninstall it first?

Kyaw

Uninstall. Delete every single Witcher 2 related folders/files. Clean up registry. (CCleanup)

Reinstall.

Man, i feel bad for you. I have the GoG version too and i had zero problems so far.

gdt

Salaadin said:
I have the GOG version like him and had zero issues.

Whenever you reinstall the game, do you uninstall it first?

Yep. Gonna uninstall/rein again, after the system restore. If that doesn't work, maybe restore it even further. Fuck me.

Gonna do the above right now.

gdt

Now it says I can't uninstall, because the uninstallation file doesn't exist. Even through CCcleaner.

Edit:
itdsJ.png

gdt

Just deleted everything, couldn't uninstall. Let me see what just installing again will do, if nothing, system restore even further, maybe before I ever installed the game in the first place.

Angst

When I started playing sound worked fine. Now I have no ambient audio and no music. Voices and fighting effects works, but that's it. Anyone else had this issue?

lol51

Angst said:
When I started playing sound worked fine. Now I have no ambient audio and no music. Voices and fighting effects works, but that's it. Anyone else had this issue?

i had a similar issue where voices didn't work but music did. Initially, everything worked. It turns out that I had to downgrade my 7.1 surround sound audio to generic audio drivers to fix it.

If closing and reopening the game -> restarting the pc doesn't work maybe that's your issue too.

edit: my device is the Logitech G35

gdt

FUCK YES ULTIMATE VICTORY. I NEED A WOMAN, TO FILL WITH MY PRECIOUS SEED. I SHALL SIRE A BASTARD TONIGHT.

Everything's back, and better than ever. I'm pulling 35-40 with my custom settings (probably medium/high).

Salaadin

gdt5016 said:
FUCK YES ULTIMATE VICTORY. I NEED A WOMAN, TO FILL WITH MY PRECIOUS SEED. I SHALL SIRE A BASTARD TONIGHT.

Everything's back, and better than ever. I'm pulling 35-40 with my custom settings (probably medium/high).

LOL!

What did you end up doing to get it working?

mileS

you could just have problems with your Hard Drive gtd. If that gog thread didn't help you I'm guessing thats whats wrong.
edit*nm glad you finally got it working

gdt5016 said:

nice, was feeling bad for you

gdt

Salaadin said:
LOL!

What did you end up doing to get it working?

Just deleted reinstalled after that last error message. That did the trick, plus it auto updated with the new patch when I installed.

One issue however, and I don't really get it, for some reason, the invert X/Y axis options used to be there, now they're not, even though I should have the new patch up.

mileS

you might have just got that small patch that the game launched with. They pulled the other one until they can fix servers and whatnot.

gdt

mileS said:
you might have just got that small patch that the game launched with. They pulled the other one until they can fix servers and whatnot.

Yeah, but I just tried to patch with the new one.

(Pulling 28-32 on high, btw, with only SSAO and motion blur off)

mileS

I'm starting to get pissed off here. Everything from AMD's "patience is needed" to the continued server issues from CDprojekt thats delaying the patch for everyone (I recall them saying the server issues would be flawless and fixed about 5-6 days ago). Maybe i'm expecting a little much from both sides but I just wish these people could have most of these issues sorted BEFORE the game launch for once.

I also have a bad feeling AMD will respond with something like "oops! looks like we can't fix this until 11.6"

rabhw

I've tweeted to @CatalystCreator asking him about what happened to the LOD in the latest driver hotfix. I doubt I'll get a response since that was probably their hackish way of increasing performance and they hoped no one would notice.

Top Bottom