• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

gdt

I rolled back the driver in device manager...that sort of did the trick. Let me try restarting...

Edit: Oh and where do I find/adjust the user.ini? Getting weird pop in now...

Aurarian

gdt5016 said:
I rolled back the driver in device manager...that sort of did the trick. Let me try restarting...

Edit: Oh and where do I find/adjust the user.ini? Getting weird pop in now...

Should be in My Documents/Witcher 2/config.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Aurarian said:

I bought my copy from D2D and I've replaced the original D2D witcher2.exe and paul.dll with that from the GOG version (I later deleted the GOG paul.dll on advice in this thread). Should I copy back my original D2D version of witcher2.exe and paul.dll and download the international version of the patch, or keep the GOG witcher2.exe version and download the GOG version of the patch?

Nekrono said:
To all the people complaining aobut the LOD being broken after the hotfix... It's not AMD's driver, I had this happen to me too and I thought it was the driver being broken or something, I rolled back and still same issue.

What's causing this is the user.ini being modified after the game detects a new driver or something, if you go into the game settings you will see that the "Texture Memory Size" is set to "Very Small" which is a value of 100 in the user.ini and that is causing less texture, LOD to be streamed.

Switch it back to the setting you had before and everything will be back to normal.

I'm trying this now but my User.ini seems to have been deleted.. any way I can create a new one, or can someone send me a copy of theirs? Setting it to read only (previous advice) might have caused this problem.

gdt

Man, I'm not quite getting the performance I was yesterday, I can barely hit 30 now, even after rolling back the driver. Fuck. I don't know what's going on dammit.

Ugh, this is so frustrating.

BoobPhysics101 said:
You're using the retail or D2D version of the game, correct? The DRM is hampering performance. Either use the GOG exe or wait for the 1.1 patch to come out in a few hours.

Im using the Steam version. That should be fine right? I have no ubersampling on either, simply high settings with bloom, blur, DOF, AA, and SSAO all off. I mean I dont know what Im doing wrong.

Akkad

Banned
EternalGamer said:
I don't know what that dude is talking about. There is no patch on that page that I can see.

Apparently it was taken down. I'll just go to sleep and get it in the morning.

gdt

My driver rolled back to the 4/11/11 one, I'm pretty sure I was on 11.5a... Now I can't get a working link to it, it's all replaced by 11.5b.

gdt

I'm done tweaking and shit. I can't quite reproduce the performance I was pulling yesterday. At least 5-7 fps off, more on the 7 side. It's pissing me the fuck off.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow morning.

leng jai

I downloaded the international patch off their support site when it first appeared. Working fine on my 2500k/GT570 rig, with a 10-15FPS boost for me on Ultra at 1080p. I'm running the retail CE and initial load up is almost instant.

Handy patch and pretty small, ~14mb.

Q8D3vil

it is an actual patch, i installed it and it fixed the retail drm problem, but i will wait for the modified one because they must removed it from their site for a reason.

Okay. Can someone tell me what the best, hassle free version to get is?

I was going to get the retail version, but I guess there's something about driver issues that won't let some people install the game. I thought I'd get the Steam version, but now I'm hearing DRM or something impacts performance a lot. So is GOG the way to go then? When I buy it, I just want to auto detect settings and play. I don't want to wait for patches or have to download anything. Am I just being too paranoid?

Bossniak

For anyone playing with 360pad, did the patch fuck up the left analog stick not working for anyone else? I cannot use the left analog stick to navigate menus/inventory as well as selecting a sign when holding left trigger. Works fine in game tho and worked fine before the patch.

On the bright side I noticed no more freeze up for a couple of seconds when pausing the game as well as load times improved a ton for me.

GillianSeed79 said:

I was going to get the retail version, but I guess there's something about driver issues that won't let some people install the game. I thought I'd get the Steam version, but now I'm hearing DRM or something impacts performance a lot. So is GOG the way to go then? When I buy it, I just want to auto detect settings and play. I don't want to wait for patches or have to download anything. Am I just being too paranoid?
Steam and GoG are both DRM free and the game has an auto patcher.

I'd.still go with GoG though. You an make a back up, burn it to ds, install it on desktops and laptops etc. No limitation on the GOG version. Also all the money from that version goes to the developer.

akskiller said:
For anyone playing with 360pad, did the patch fuck up the left analog stick not working for anyone else? I cannot use the left analog stick to navigate menus/inventory as well as selecting a sign when holding left trigger. Works fine in game tho and worked fine before the patch.

On the bright side I noticed no more freeze up for a couple of seconds when pausing the game as well as load times improved a ton for me.

When I had a similar problem on the save screen, I found the d-pad still worked.

GillianSeed79 said:

Steam version is fine since it only uses Steamworks, and not Securom like Retail. Can't go wrong with Steam or GOG version really. However relying on Auto-detect settings for any PC game is ill advised since they will almost always underestimate what your PC is actually capable of.

Hellsing321 said:
Steam version is fine since it only uses Steamworks, and not Securom like Retail. Can't go wrong with Steam or GOG version really. However relying on Auto-detect settings for any PC game is ill advised since they will almost always underestimate what your PC is actually capable of.
Yeah, I have an intell I920, 6 GB of RAM, and 2 Radeon 6870s in Crossfire, and the game auto detected the lowest setting for me. I can run it with everything maxed at a solid 60fps.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
rabhw said:
After doing some more testing, the LOD on the new AMD drivers has definitely changed for the worse. Much more pop-in on many things (textures, shadows, foliage sprites, character models in the distance)...

*sigh*
I don't notice much of a difference. Well I did with Surface Format Optimization turned off in catalyst control. It caused the game to frequently pause to load new things (sometimes it went as far as showing the loading screen when you moved near the border of a village) and the framerate wasn't improved at all, actually worse in some areas.

Turned it back on and it behaved pretty much the same as it used to pre-hotfix, except with higher-lows at 29 fps instead of 23. So I'd check and see if that option is on.

Wish the devs would fix the texture streaming though, it's fine in a village that one or two textures load a little slower, but when you're inside a building and it takes around 30 seconds to load the hi-res textures it gets annoying as shit. But I expect things to be smoother after they fix the memory leak :)

Micerider

dc89 said:
What performance should I expect from:

i5
4GB Ram
HD 5650

Poor...

Low should be fine, If you're not too ambitious with the resolution.

Your CPU and Ram are more than enough, but your GPU will cripple everything down. Do yourself a favor (if you have the opportunity) and jump on a 6850 or higher, that would bring you to the High/Ultra (without Ubersmapling) realm, depending on the resolution.

Micerider

IrishNinja said:
looks good.

so uh

i5-760 @ 2.8/stock
4GB of RAM

what can i expect from this game? can i run it high/60 FPS or so?

60 Fps might be a bit of a stretch, but a good 40-50 fps outdoors in High, certainly. You could even opt the Ultra setting in (safe for Ubersampling) and aim for nothing lower than 30 fps (still depending on the resolution though).

IrishNinja

ah, that sounds good too - thanks man!

wanna be sure im understanding ubersampling: is it basically rendering > 1080p and then uh, downscaling? is this a feature for future GPUs or are people with 6900s/560s (or dual?) really getting to use this? i gotta go back in this thread, would love to see some shots from rigs that can hang.

dc89

Micerider said:
Poor...

Low should be fine, If you're not too ambitious with the resolution.

Your CPU and Ram are more than enough, but your GPU will cripple everything down. Do yourself a favor (if you have the opportunity) and jump on a 6850 or higher, that would bring you to the High/Ultra (without Ubersmapling) realm, depending on the resolution.

I has a sad =[

My iMac has a 6750 in it. I knew I should have gone for the higher end with the 6770. That might have been better. I'll just take the iMac back lol!

Truant

Weird things.

Deleted the paul.dll file, and now my framerate goes up to 60, then goes back down to 40 after a minute. This also happens if I Alt+Tab out of the game and back in.

I have performance mode to maximum, and my fan is forced at 100% (I can't hear it, the computer is in a different room) so there shouldn't be any temperature issues, it hovers around 80c.

MNC

Truant said:
Weird things.

Deleted the paul.dll file, and now my framerate goes up to 60, then goes back down to 40 after a minute. This also happens if I Alt+Tab out of the game and back in.

I have performance mode to maximum, and my fan is forced at 100% (I can't hear it, the computer is in a different room) so there shouldn't be any temperature issues, it hovers around 80c.
80c for a desktop is pretty high, unless it's a laptop.

Micerider

dc89 said:
I has a sad =[

My iMac has a 6750 in it. I knew I should have gone for the higher end with the 6770. That might have been better. I'll just take the iMac back lol!

Well, knowing the native resolutions of iMac screens, I doubt that a 6770 would hold it either. Kind of a bummer for Mac Users, aside from Mac Pro's with beefy GPU's in the rig, I would not think of any iMac able to run it above Low/Medium settings. Usually they are ok for most PC gaming purpose, but Witcher 2 is a bit of PC's Jewel on the crown that was not scaled down to what Source-engine can achieve with old/modest gaming rigs.

At any rate, I would still recommend to give it a try, The Low settings (with medium quality textures) should do well, and the game would still look good and you wouldn't loose any pleasure gameplay-wise.

Fredescu

IrishNinja said:
wanna be sure im understanding ubersampling: is it basically rendering > 1080p and then uh, downscaling?
Yep. Usually known as Super Sampling or SSAA.

IrishNinja said:
is this a feature for future GPUs or are people with 6900s/560s (or dual?) really getting to use this?
I don't think any single GPU people are able to use it at the moment, but I haven't even bothered to try it myself. Hawk with 2x GTX580s gets some decent framrates with it on, but not the 60fps that he wants.

Micerider

IrishNinja said:

wanna be sure im understanding ubersampling: is it basically rendering > 1080p and then uh, downscaling? is this a feature for future GPUs or are people with 6900s/560s (or dual?) really getting to use this? i gotta go back in this thread, would love to see some shots from rigs that can hang.

Well, they have been a bit blurry regarding their explanation of the "Ubersampling". For me it sounds like a really heavy MSAA, but with a fancy name. Seems they are rendering the same frame several times to obtain a better quality image.

I've tried it (just for the kick, my GTX 460 cannot handle that) to verify the difference in image quality and well...it's better, just not plain obvious in motion. But the render seems a bit more sharp, more natural, nothing that would blow your socks off (imho), especially if you consider the ressources needed to obtain something barely playable, it's mainly there to satisfy those who cannot bear any tiny sacrifice in image quality.

Waikis

IrishNinja said:

I have i7 920@4.2ghz and OC-ed 2x 6970 and averages around 25fps with everything max+ubersampling using the the latest ATI hotfix.

Schlomo

Waikis said:
I have i7 920@4.2ghz and OC-ed 2x 6970 and averages around 25fps with the latest ATI hotfix.

Really? I get 20-25 fps in Flotsam with a single 6950, iirc. Crossfire must still not be working properly then.

pahamrick

The link for the gog patch went live for a bit, and I was able to download it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?h8rcms5jqv5kxew

Here it is on mediafire for those who want to risk things and try installing it. One of the CDPR red guys said the patch was ready, but was delayed due to a DLC issue. I already installed the patch, and everything is working fine for me so far and my DLC is showing up without issue so I don't know.

Waikis

Schlomo said:
Really? I get 20-25 fps in Flotsam with a single 6950, iirc. Crossfire must still not be working properly then.

blah forgot to say thats with ubersampling.
without ubersampling, it is locked at 60fps.

pahamrick

ColonialRaptor said:
I can't decide whether to use the GOG patch or not... can anyone who has downloaded make a recommendation?

I'm running a 5970...

it's working fine for me, and the my troll trouble DLC is working okay. I was one of the few who were able to download it day one though, so I don't know if it'd work any different for anyone else.

dc89

Micerider said:
Well, knowing the native resolutions of iMac screens, I doubt that a 6770 would hold it either. Kind of a bummer for Mac Users, aside from Mac Pro's with beefy GPU's in the rig, I would not think of any iMac able to run it above Low/Medium settings. Usually they are ok for most PC gaming purpose, but Witcher 2 is a bit of PC's Jewel on the crown that was not scaled down to what Source-engine can achieve with old/modest gaming rigs.

At any rate, I would still recommend to give it a try, The Low settings (with medium quality textures) should do well, and the game would still look good and you wouldn't loose any pleasure gameplay-wise.

Thanks!

I think I'll pick it up tonight if I see it at a decent price! Then if it runs like ass it runs like ass and I'll just have to deal with it.

Top Bottom