• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

pahamrick

Johnny2Bags said:
Anyone else with Crossfire 5850s or 5870s can comment on improvement?

Running Crossfire 5870s, and I'm getting a solid 60fps everywhere at the moment (opening of the game, running around the camp. I used to get down into the 30s in there.) That's with the ultra preset, texture memory changed to very large and lod changed to far with ubersampling, bloom, vignette and motion blur disabled.

"For those waiting for patch. It is on the way. Couple more hours may be needed. We kindly ask for patience!

Michal
CDP RED"

I guess regardless of version, it patches somehow in the launcher.

Those of you lucky enough to run at 60 fps: Does the motion blur look good with a steady framerate or is it just an unbearable effect no matter what?

Varna

Bloodworth said:
Those of you lucky enough to run at 60 fps: Does the motion blur look good with a steady framerate or is it just an unbearable effect no matter what?

Looks better, but still bad.

Only games I keep it on are games that have a slider or a very subtle blur effect.

Echoplx

scorpscarx said:
"For those waiting for patch. It is on the way. Couple more hours may be needed. We kindly ask for patience!

Michal
CDP RED"

Won't that screw shit up for validating the game on Steam?

Bloodworth said:

I'm running around 30 fps with the game maxed, but I prefer the motion blur on rather than off just for that added layer of.... something.

Won't that screw shit up for validating the game on Steam?

Hey here's hoping it patches through Steam instead...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Haha, wow, my performance is actually worse with the new drivers. Flotsam Forest used to run 40+ and now it's staying at 30..

Edit: It also randomly pauses and displays a loading screen, wow, this hotfix is a total downgrade..

Edit: It may have been Fraps fault, runs a bit better with RadeonPRO, but it's still running worse than it did pre-hotfix..an area that ran at a solid 60 now runs around 40ish. That's a pretty severe fps loss.

Locke562

scorpscarx said:

Michal
CDP RED"

I hope they give us alternate ways to download it. I haven't been able to get online using the launcher...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
[Previous rambling mess removed]

EDIT: True Facts: The minimum FPS was improved for me, the gallows in Flotsam used to be at 23-24 fps, post hotfix it's around 29-32. Not a huge increase but it's good enough for me since 30 is as low as I can go with framerate.

ok i installed the hot fix and now i cant see much when playing the game, i get like a tanish color on the screen and can faintly make out the characters. I only can see the sky clearly. Any tips?

Domcorleone said:
ok i installed the hot fix and now i cant see much when playing the game, i get like a tanish color on the screen and can faintly make out the characters. I only can see the sky clearly. Any tips?

I think what you're describing happened to me when I forced Anti Aliasing in the CCC.

pahamrick said:
Running Crossfire 5870s, and I'm getting a solid 60fps everywhere at the moment (opening of the game, running around the camp. I used to get down into the 30s in there.) That's with the ultra preset, texture memory changed to very large and lod changed to far with ubersampling, bloom, vignette and motion blur disabled.

Nice! I have 5850s but I've increased the texture memory via .ini file to 1100 from very large (600).. with two cards our extra memory allows this I would recommend it for better textures and even minor increase in Framerate.

Also, I have bloom enabled as well as Vingnette... What exactly does vingnette do ?? sorry for the lame question but i'm not sure.

Minsc

Gold Member
Johnny2Bags said:
Nice! I have 5850s but I've increased the texture memory via .ini file to 1100 from very large (600).. with two cards our extra memory allows this I would recommend it for better textures and even minor increase in Framerate.

Also, I have bloom enabled as well as Vingnette... What exactly does vingnette do ?? sorry for the lame question but i'm not sure.

Be aware 1GB + 1GB = 1GB, not 2GB. Vingnette just adds a black shaded border around some of the cinematic scenes. All the options are explained in the OP per the readme.txt. No performance hit.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Johnny2Bags said:

Vignette effect.

(Was there really a demand for this? I think it looks terrible. Thank goodness we have the option to turn it off. Bloom too.)

knitoe

Wow. AMD hotfix really improve my CF6970. With Ultra & uber, getting 30-40fps running around Flotsam. Without uber, I can easily lock 60fps.

corporateslave

Neo Member
I'm not sure if this is the right post to comment in but I had an extremely positive experience with CDP customer service/tech support regarding this game. I bought the standard retail DVD version of this game late last week. The launcher would not work at all, it kept cycling back from the wolfhead splash icon to the launcher menu.

I looked online for solutions and tried a ton of things such as changing resolution, disabling Anti-virus and UAC, reinstalling, deleting my reg key, adding the patch offline. No luck. I emailed CDP about the issues and basically went step by step through the list of troubleshooting items, most of which I attempted previously but still had no luck, my disks were borked.

After a few emails, whatever issue I was experiencing was concluded as being non-resolvable, and that I would ultimately need to exchange my retail disks for a new copy.

However the part that completely blew me away is that normally for most Customer Service/tech support experiences, that'd be the end of the story. However to compensate for my inability to enjoy the game, CDP hooked me up with a GOG coupon code for the game so I could download and still play regardless of retail exchange. So while it will take 2-3 days to download the game due to my horrible DSL connection, this is still an awesome thing to provide the customer.

So while it sucks that my DVD copy did not end up working, I cant say enough about how awesome the CDP solution was in the end.

knitoe said:
Wow. AMD hotfix really improve my CF6970. With Ultra & uber, getting 30-40fps running around Flotsam. Without uber, I can easily lock 60fps.

Playing on that computer must feel like getting fucked by gods dick.

mr stroke

knitoe said:

awesome, sounds like its more than double performance

Been waiting for this update to finally play :)

corporateslave said:
So while it sucks that my DVD copy did not end up working, I cant say enough about how awesome the CDP solution was in the end.

Good for you.

I have yet to hear back from support since launch day. $130 CE doorstop here.

Regret ever buying it.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Playing on HD5850 crosfired with the hotfix I get constant 60fps everything on max and uber sampling off. There is a problem however, lights seem to go through solid materials and there is bloom everywhere where there shouldnt be... Anti-Aliasing is set to "use application setting". Any help?

rabhw

Upgraded to the latest AMD hotfix drivers.

The good: I'm now locked at 60fps (vsynced) with 6950's in CFX. 30fps locked with ubersampling on. 1920x1200, ultra, etc etc.

The bad: As others have reported, major issues with light sources as seen in some screenshots I took:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/560909687230466164/05918ECD54AB609EE95E20CDBE99CD1D195DA8FD/
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/560909687230501505/B4CEC7E0D0FAEC4734B611B0EDE3DEE1ACFD3107/
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/560909687230500228/3E12EF1B43A5BA9E38FEB50A8A1985765955C6E6/

No spoilers in pics. Besides the quest log in the top right, don't read that :)

Edit: Just tried with bloom off, same thing.
Edit 2: Also tried with RadeonPro closed (was forcing 16xAF), still the same thing.

AMD's incompetence continues!

knitoe said:

Ditto. Really improved my performance. Dual-core, too.

scitek

Domstercool said:
Sweet, the hotfix unleashes my 6990!! With everything on bar supersampling, getting 90 fps on the intro in the forest :D

How about with ubersampling? And holy shit at that card.

Minsc

Gold Member
ATI hotfix sounds great, hopefully next version is out later this week and fixes the light issue.

luxarific said:
Vignette effect.

(Was there really a demand for this? I think it looks terrible. Thank goodness we have the option to turn it off. Bloom too.)

It came up once in the first 6-7 hours that I noticed, not intrusive at all imo.

My max framerate has gone up about in Flotsam, before I was topping out at 45 or so but now it goes past 50 near the dwarven smith and the other side streets.

The area around the gallows is still around 30-35ish.

rabhw

Minsc said:
ATI hotfix sounds great, hopefully next version is out later this week and fixes the light issue.

The light issue makes the game borderline unplayable in my opinion. Giant light spheres that fade in and out depending on the angle of your view...

Minsc

Gold Member
rabhw said:
The light issue makes the game borderline unplayable in my opinion. Giant light spheres that fade in and out depending on the angle of your view...

Yes, but it seems to only be occurring w/ some people or in isolated areas. Hotfix #2 should be near-perfect. :)

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
rabhw said:

Yes this is really fucking annoying. Man fuck AMD and fuck ATi, since their first video card they've had this fucking problem with their drivers always being shit...

rabhw

Minsc said:
Yes, but it seems to only be occurring w/ some people or in isolated areas. Hotfix #2 should be near-perfect. :)

I just wish AMD could get it right the first time, for once. Don't they have a testbed for these things?

Mouselag in the top right corner has been claimed to be fixed the past 2 driver versions, it's still there, now claiming it'll be fixed in 11.6.

Brink performance was claimed to be fixed in 2 prior separate CAP's, until now when its fixed in a driver release.

Crysis 2 was claimed to be fixed on how many occasions? Is it even fixed properly yet?

Sorry for the derail, back on topic :)

Rufus

Domcorleone said:
Wats the CCC?
Catalyst Control Center. Right-click on the desktop, there should be an entry for it in the context menu. It allows you to configure/tweak some of the things your graphics card does. What method and level of Anti-Aliasing will be used, for example, and if you let the games handle that stuff or if you want to force whatever setting you set in the CCC. Red the OP for more details about what settings to change.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Hotfix is fantastic. I've got crossfire enabled on my 5770s and everything is just so smooth now it's amazing. Swing ponytail, swing!

Domstercool said:
In the opening intro again, it seems to hang around the 30 mark. Numbers I saw were 24-41.

Weird. I get a consistent 30fps with everything maxed, including ubersampling with my two Radeon 6870s.

Without ubersampling and everything else maxed, I get an exact 60fps pretty much no matter what I do. I kind of wonder if it isn't locking it at 30 or 60 fps.

Domstercool

EternalGamer said:
Weird. I get a consistent 30fps with everything maxed, including ubersampling with my two Radeon 6870s.

Without ubersampling and everything else maxed, I get an exact 60fps pretty much no matter what I do. I kind of wonder if it isn't locking it at 30 or 60 fps.

Was that on the opening with the rain too? Just wondering if it is that scene that makes it so random. I've not started the game yet as I was waiting for the fix. ^_^

corporateslave

Neo Member
@cleveridea. I'm about 99% sure you did this, but if you haven't already, email your issues to help2start@thewitcher.com This is the email address I used to find resolution. If you've already gone this route, then I definitely understand how frustrating it is to have the game and not be able to play.

Domstercool said:
Was that on the opening with the rain too? Just wondering if it is that scene that makes it so random. I've not started the game yet as I was waiting for the fix. ^_^

No, this is running around the village in the mountains in Chapter 2, a pretty demanding area in terms fo geeometry.

It definitely is a huge driver improvement. Before I had a handful of features turned to medium or high and I was running it at 1680 and got pretty constant 55 frames per second.

After the hotfix, I now have everything except uber, max settings at 1920x1080 a 60 frames per second completely solid, never dipping.

I never tried uber before the crossfire support but I'm sure it would have been unplayable. But since I don't even honestly notice the difference with it on, I'll take the constant 60fps with it off instead of constant 30fps with it on.

Top Bottom