• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Yeah you don't have to completely uninstall vc drivers anymore, thats so 6 years ago.... lol

I'm not sure I'm going to install them yet just reading that Guru3d thread there are some issues.

Don't worry burger dog, just reinstall the new ones.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
BoobPhysics101 said:
I can confirm that the AMD driver update makes a BIG difference, even on my 5870m (5770 desktop) GPU.

Avg frame-rate is up 5-7 FPS, minimum FPS is up about the same. Max is a bit higher as well. The game just runs much smoother. In some areas it's up to 10 FPS better.

Combined with the 1.1 patch, the new hotfix drivers are going to make AMD owners very, very happy. Can't wait to test them on my new 6970M. I'll go out on a limb and say that almost every AMD owner can expect a bare minimum of an extra 5 FPS in every scene.
Damn you, I'm in school working on an assignment, right now I just want to drop it, rush home, install the hotfix and measure framerates XD

mileS

still early to tell but the hotfix doesn't look very good so far judging from some of the posts at the guru3d forums.

damnit this sucks

I am running an intell 920 6GB of RAM and 2 Crossfired Radeon 6970s.

Before AMD Hotfix:

1680x1050
Most features on Ultra
LOD Turned Off; Uber Off; Motion Blur Off; Shadows "High"

Frames Per Second: Around 50-55.

After AMD HotfiX:

1920x1080
Every feature maxed except Uber.

Frames Per Second: Solid 60FPS.

Impressive.

I turned Uber on and maxed everything just to see what it would look like. Walked around town for a bit. Still got 30fps with 28 being the lowest. However, I like the super smooth 60 and honesetly can't tell that much difference between uber on and off, so I'm going to turn it off for now.

Red

EternalGamer said:
I am running an intell 920 6GB of RAM and 2 Crossfired Radeon 6970s.

Before AMD Hotfix:

1680x1050
Most features on Ultra
LOD Turned Off; Uber Off; Motion Blur Off; Shadows "High"

Frames Per Second: Around 50-55.

After AMD HotfiX:

1920x1080
Every feature maxed except Uber.

Frames Per Second: Solid 60FPS.

Impressive.

I turned Uber on and maxed everything just to see what it would look like. Walked around town for a bit. Still got 30fps with 28 being the lowest. However, I like the super smooth 60 and honesetly can't tell that much difference between uber on and off, so I'm going to turn it off for now.
You are only getting 60 fps with two 6970s? I'm getting 40+ with a single 5870 with all maxed except uber. I would've expected your rig to perform a little better. Does it just not scale well to multiple gpus?

Minsc

Gold Member
Salaadin said:
That lighting issue with the hotfix is pretty major. I wonder if its just that one guys rig or widespread.

Is it the same lighting issue from the OP? Sounds like they did a similar hack ;)

Crunched said:
You are only getting 60 fps with two 6970s? I'm getting 40+ with a single 5870 with all maxed except uber. I would've expected your rig to perform a little better. Does it just not scale well to multiple gpus?

There's basically no proper multi-gpu support yet. Some people have hacks working, others don't.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Crunched said:
He may be one of those sane individuals that like to turn Vsync to avoid screen tearing

Easy_D said:
He may be one of those sane individuals that like to turn Vsync to avoid screen tearing

Yes, Vsync is on. Literally every single feature is maxed and enabled in the menus except uber. Including LOD to "far." And this is in Chapter 3 town with lots of geometric detail. It never dips below 59fps and is a pretty constant 60 or slighly above.

I'm pretty happy.

I'll turn Vsynch off, though, for a bit just to see what I get.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Crunched said:
D3Overrider triple buffering enabled and in-game vsync off for me.
Er, what? I just said he might say he's getting a rock solid 60 with vsync on.

Salaadin said:
That's not a bug, it's a feature! Ultra bloom!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Crunched said:
There's no reason to go beyond 60 fps, as far as I'm concerned (unless you're doing 3D). Lock that shit down and go.

D3Overrider triple buffering enabled and in-game vsync off for me.
If you're using a 60 Hz display, you're not going higher than 60 fps.

Red

Easy_D said:
I don't know if I'm being a complete idiot right now or if you're just a very confusing fellow.
I am sick and on medicine. Probably me not following the conversation properly.

Back to the game for me.

Crunched said:

I'm not sure but I can't complain, it is completely smooth and constant 60 all the time. Occasionally it dips to "59" or up to "61" but it is only for a split second. The meter hardly ever moves either way.

At any rate, it's 60fps with every single feature maxed including Vsync and LOD set to "far" so I'm certainly not going to complain.

Then again, the game already looked damn amazing before I bumped everything up. Honestly, I doubt I will notice much of a different once way or another, still a nice performance boost according to what these little numbers and setting config screens tell me, I guess. :)

One weird thing, though, is that Vsync doesnt' seem to impact it one way or the other. I get the exact same performance and same 60fps with it on or with it off. Maybe it is locked to 60?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Ugh I want to play this game but don't have a gaming PC anymore.

Anyone know how well this will run on the new M11x?

mileS

really stupid question but seeing as how i'm runnin 11.4 I'm guessing I should download 11.5, install that, download the old hotfix and then the new one in that order? or is it ok to just download 11.5 and then the most recent hotfix?

I stay away from driver sweepers because when I tried that in the past it ended up deleting an important windows file and my computer wouldn't recognize my card anymore causing the new driver install to stop half way with an error. I had to use system restore to get it working again.

Salaadin

EternalGamer said:
I have no hacks or mods installed and I am getting none of that stuff. It runs significantly better and with no adverse effects.

Good to hear.
Im a little leery about installing it but a fix is always a rollback away so Ill chance it.

mileS said:
really stupid question but seeing as how i'm runnin 11.4 I'm guessing I should download 11.5, install that, download the old hotfix and then the new one in that order? or is it ok to just download 11.5 and then the most recent hotfix?

I stay away from driver sweepers because when I tried that in the past it ended up deleting an important windows file and my computer wouldn't recognize my card anymore causing the new driver install to stop half way with an error. I had to use system restore to get it working again.

You can actually just grab the hotfix and youll be ok. I went from 11.4 to 11.5a (completely skipped original 11.5) and have no issues.

mileS

Salaadin said:
Good to hear.

You can actually just grab the hotfix and youll be ok. I went from 11.4 to 11.5a (completely skipped original 11.5) and have no issues.

hmm so basically all I need to do is uninstall 11.4, install the most recent hotfix and i'll be okay? Thanks for the quick reply.

Salaadin

mileS said:
hmm so basically all I need to do is uninstall 11.4, install the most recent hotfix and i'll be okay? Thanks for the quick reply.

You can just grab the hotfix and install it. Theres probably not even a need to uninstall 11.4. Most people I know (irl and gaf) move onto new drivers without uninstalling previous ones and have no issues at all.

stuminus3

mileS said:
AMD's "hotfix" thing is a little misleading, they're actually full driver releases.

JohngPR

Tested it out and I did get better framerates in Flotsam. I got an avg of 37 fps, up from 34 fps and I never noticed it dip below 30 (it always used to in the town square).

Other areas however got me the same framerate. I noticed that it dipped below 30 for me less often, but it ended up averaging out to the same thing.

Aurarian said:
From what I can gather SSAO isn't anything great and has been recommended by a lot of users to be turned off because it offers a FPS boost and doesn't really add anything worth losing those frames.

Actually I was asking Aeana whether turning it on/off made any difference for her FPS. I play with SSAO on, and I think the game looks a lot better that way (based on the comparison screens in the OP). I may turn it off when I play tonight to see if I notice better performance or the game looking worse enough that it bothers me.

Did anyone else get a security permissions pop up asking if you trusted the driver during install? That has never happened when I updated my ATI with that program before.

No doubt it's legit, guys messed up English and the fact his post was originally 11.5a, but now the official is up and is 11.5b is kinda scaring me. lol

Echoplx

Yurt said:
Hmm, my fps dropped from 60-80 to capped at 30. I probably did something wrong ?

Turn off in game vsync and just use D3DOverider.

scorpscarx said:
Did anyone else get a security permissions pop up asking if you trusted the driver during install? That has never happened when I updated my ATI with that program before.

No doubt it's legit, guys messed up English and the fact his post was originally 11.5a, but now the official is up and is 11.5b is kinda scaring me. lol

These aren't WHQL so you'll always get a warning.

If any of the guys from the laptop thread are reading this:

I have this Alienware M17x R3 held in my cart @ Dell and I'll drop it from my cart so you can buy it.

Processor Processor: Intel Core i7-2720QM processor (2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.30 GHz)
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
Base Alienware M17x R3 Laptop
Hard Disk Drive 320 GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
Memory 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)
Media Bay 8X DVD +/- RW Drive
Video 2 GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6970M
System Color Soft Touch Stealth Black
Laptop Screen 17.3 inch Wide FHD (1920 x 1080 60Hz) WLED Display
Laptop Battery 9 Cell Battery
Network Interface Card Dell 1501 Wireless-N
Bluetooth Wireless Dell Wireless 375 Bluetooth Module
Keyboard Internal English Single Pointing Keyboard
Hardware Upgrade 210W/240W switchable Slim 3P A/C Adapter
125V Power Cord
Software Upgrade 64BIT Operating System

Comes out to $1279 before tax. 6970M equipped monster.

Last day to get it at this price before the $250 off coupon expires.

mileS

hmm doesn't say anything about single card performance increase in the official notes

AMD Catalyst™ Driver 11.5b Hotfix Features:

Includes performance optimizations and resolves various quality issues for the upcoming release of Brink™
Resolves transcoding video lagging issues seen when converting multiple H.264 clips to MPEG2 Blu-ray video
Resolves the intermittent mouse cursor lag issue seen by some users
Resolves intermittent flickering issues seen in the following applications in a system using an AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 series graphics card with DDR3 memory and running in DirectX® 9 mode:
Civilization 5
Dead Rising 2
Fallout 3
Mafia 2
NBA 2010
ShenGuiChuanQi
Starcraft 2
Warcraft III
World of Warcraft
Support for additional Stereo 3D-capable displays:
Viewsonic V3D241wm-LED
3D Projectors
Enables AMD CrossFire™ scaling for Brink
Enables AMD CrossFire scaling for The Witcher 2
Improves performance for Dirt 3

edit* actually nm from twitter
CatalystCreator Andrew D
Yes this is the Witcher 2 hotfix - it should also slightly improve single GPU performance, but focus is CF support

Echoplx

Yurt said:
under the tweaks tab I enabled Triple-buffering and double v-sync.

haha I just read the description for double v-sync sorry !

Alright, how can I use that ?

Well if disabling double vsync fixes it (I'm not sure what tool you're using) then you won't need D3DOverrider.

So on my 4870x2 with this hotfix FPS literally doubled! I was running radeonpro with xfire fix before and now I'm getting at least double or more FPS at places, love it! And with the patch coming it can only get better!

Meh, played a bit with the new drivers and didn't notice any improvement at all (single 6970). Oh well.

EDIT: It gave me around 70 points in 3DMark 11, though. Almost hit 6k! :(

Top Bottom