• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Chiggs

Gold Member
Radeon 6950 user here. The Hotfix has definitely helped my minimum FPS out in a big way (+4-5fps). Overall, the game feels far smoother and there is less hitching.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I was browsing mods, and bumped into a mentioning of the Mysterious Merchant DLC.

Was that a preorder bonus from a specific service? I bought the Steam version.

Exuro

K.Jack said:
I was browsing mods, and bumped into a mentioning of the Mysterious Merchant DLC.

Was that a preorder bonus from a specific service? I bought the Steam version.
Only retail received in game DLC bonus'.

Ok, something is definitely weird. I turn the game on low and 720P. I get 60fps. I max out everything I get 60fps.

I am using Radeon Pro, but I don't think I have double antialiasing on (which is what would lock it right?). When I look at the profile it doesn't have x2 checked. But I do have it turned on in game.

I'm new to using Radeon Pro so maybe there is something I'm not aware of that is locking my framerate. Any suggestions?

I don't really care that much one way or another because 60fps with everything maxed is definitely more than all I need to enjoy the game, I'm just wondering what it would get if the framerate wasn't locked (which apparently somehow it is) and how to unlock it.

Kyaw said:
V-Sync or Triple Buffering on?

You mean in Radeon Pro or in the game settings?

I do have Vsync on the game settings. I know what it does, but I didn't know it locked the frame rate.

Edit: I just tried disabling V-sync in game. Still 60fps. Seems to stick no matter what I do. Is there an easy way to check the framerate w/o using Radeon Pro? Maybe then I'll know if it is what is locking it.

Salaadin

Making sure Im not having any errors with these new drivers. Just grabbed this shot

ACT 2 SPOILERS
This is the cave between Kaedwen and Vergen where you go to meet Saski and Zoltan for the sword:
http://www.abload.de/img/witcher2.exe_2011-05-2vh3i.png

First time thru here, I was using Cat so everything had an odd look to it. This time, I wasnt and I noticed that white in the very bottom of the cave. Is that normal?

EternalGamer said:
Yes, it seems Vsync is on in Radeon Pro but it greyed out and will not let me change it.

Click "Global" and see if it lets you pick it then. If not, try creating a profile for TW2 exe and see if it lets you de-select it there. ALso make sure you have the latest version of Radeon Pro

Kyaw said:
You need to find a way to disable Vsync in Radeon Pro.
I have no knowledge of this software. :(

I figured it out. It has a global profile setting I needed to adjust.

I am now getting an average of 90(!) frames per second with everything maxed except uber sampling. Sitting still it goes over 100 frames per second.

With uber turned on and everything maxed out, I get an average of 40 frames per second.

Pretty damn impressive.

But I think I am going to go back to uber off and v-sync because I like the smoothness of a constant 60 frames per second and really don't notice the difference of uber sampling.

rabhw

After doing some more testing, the LOD on the new AMD drivers has definitely changed for the worse. Much more pop-in on many things (textures, shadows, foliage sprites, character models in the distance)...

*sigh*

I just tested myself carefully examing the exact same rock for over a minute with uber sampling on and all other effects on and then with it off and all other effects still on. Damned if I can tell any difference at all aside from the drop in frame rate.

So, I'll happily play fully maxed sans uber with Vsync at a constant 60fps.

SoulClap

rabhw said:
After doing some more testing, the LOD on the new AMD drivers has definitely changed for the worse. Much more pop-in on many things (textures, shadows, foliage sprites, character models in the distance)...

*sigh*

I've noticed this as well. Godammit.

rabhw said:

*sigh*
Wait, AMD released a hotfix for the Witcher 2 and they're gaining performance by changing the LOD? That's some old school driver cheat, wow. And it took them so long for that?

brotkasten said:
Wait, AMD released a hotfix for the Witcher 2 and they're gaining performance by changing the LOD? That's some old school driver cheat, wow. And it took them so long for that?

That is not correct, at least not for everybody.

I have LOD set at the highest setting and I am getting nearly double the framerates I was before.

Was getting around 50fps, now 90fps.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Chiggs said:
Radeon 6950 user here. The Hotfix has definitely helped my minimum FPS out in a big way (+4-5fps). Overall, the game feels far smoother and there is less hitching.
Feels the same to me, still solid and over 60fps all the time. I had an issue in which it reset my in game settings installing the new driver though. I have to manually re-edit the ini.

rabhw said:

*sigh*

Saw this too. I noticed the foliage being drawn in much closer and in an obvious way.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Will the hotfix give any performance improvements to a 4890 user?

Yes, at least 4-6 FPS.

Turning SSAO off bumped up my framerate so nicely I think I'll leave it off!

GTX 560 Ti
Core i7 920
6GB RAM

I first set it to Ultra, then went and turned off bloom, all DOF, all blurs, and SSAO, and have V-synch on, and I'm getting 55-60ish FPS around Vergen.

My game started slowing down significantly near the end of Chapter 1. Menus load slower, everything is more sluggish and the framerate is lower. Anyone else experience this and have solutions? Everything was fine for the first several hours...

Any chance that it is because my savegame folder is so large? At the moment (near end of Chapter 2) I think it is around 2 gigs.

En-ou said:
why dont you just delete your old saves after each session? i usually only keep the last 3 saves
I guess I could--I just don't want to get rid of all of them because if I play through again, I'd rather jump straight past the prologue. (There's no new game plus, right?)

knitoe

teh_pwn said:
AMD hotfix bumped FPS to 60 with 6950 CF.
It was great until I started seeing all the light sources through objects. Back to 11.5a drivers. Let's hope 11.5c comes out tomorrow.

En-ou

SnakeswithLasers said:
I guess I could--I just don't want to get rid of all of them because if I play through again, I'd rather jump straight past the prologue. (There's no new game plus, right?)
back up some of the saves like at the start of each chapter and clean out the folder?

Well, that is a lot better than not testing it for the AMD drivers. It would really suck if it broke the crossfire compatibility and we had to wait until the NEXT patch.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Patch still coming? It's like dawn in Poland. They either worked all night or had some dude twitter us with reassurance until people got back in office. I wanted the troll dlc for my second playthrough. Oh well. Something to do this weekend.

Tokubetsu said:
Guess someone's up late at CDP hq.

In Soviet CDProjekt, patch tests YOU! /cornyasfuck

In all seriousness, I think they just want to get the damn thing out so they can really work on 1.2. Talk about stressful.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Retail with DRM fix.

Odd. Is Catalyst AI enabled and on Advanced?

BoobPhysics101 said:
Odd. Is Catalyst AI enabled and on Advanced?

Bah, this game makes me mad. The performance seems to differ so much on each play.

I just enabled this and it made the performance smoother with less hiccups, and the game loaded quicker than last time. I'm guessing that maybe it doesn't load properly sometimes?

Either way, the LOD is still shit. I had an entire mountain pop into view.

OK can someone help me please, I am a noob when it comes to PC gaming.

I have an iMac i5 2.8ghz Quad core, 1TB, 1gb 5870 Radeon HD, and 4GB Ram.

I have SSAO, motion blur, AA, and DOF off everything else on high and I cant get anything above 30 FPS. Sometimes it dips to 25. I installed the hotfix and it improved it to that. What the hell am I missing here?

TheExodu5

Banned
Domcorleone said:

I have SSAO, motion blur, AA, and DOF off everything else on high and I cant get anything above 30 FPS. Sometimes it dips to 25. I installed the hotfix and it improved it to that. What the hell am I missing here?

You running the retail version?

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Bah, this game makes me mad. The performance seems to differ so much on each play.

I just enabled this and it made the performance smoother with less hiccups, and the game loaded quicker than last time. I'm guessing that maybe it doesn't load properly sometimes?

Either way, the LOD is still shit. I had an entire mountain pop into view.

I'm waiting a while for both the devs and the GPU manufacturers to fix their shit. I'm not starting my playthrough until SLI is working correctly.

Nekrono

To all the people complaining aobut the LOD being broken after the hotfix... It's not AMD's driver, I had this happen to me too and I thought it was the driver being broken or something, I rolled back and still same issue.

What's causing this is the user.ini being modified after the game detects a new driver or something, if you go into the game settings you will see that the "Texture Memory Size" is set to "Very Small" which is a value of 100 in the user.ini and that is causing less texture, LOD to be streamed.

Switch it back to the setting you had before and everything will be back to normal.

gdt

Yeah, this driver killed my performance. Even on low settings, I was maxed at 15 fps. Same as on high, and it made the lighting look kinda weird.

Now, I can't figure out how to go back to my old driver.

Domcorleone said:

You're using the retail or D2D version of the game, correct? The DRM is hampering performance. Either use the GOG exe or wait for the 1.1 patch to come out in a few hours.

Nekrono said:
To all the people complaining aobut the LOD being broken after the hotfix... It's not AMD's driver, I had this happen to me too and I thought it was the driver being broken or something, I rolled back and still same issue.

What's causing this is the user.ini being modified after the game detects a new driver or something, if you go into the game settings you will see that the "Texture Memory Size" is set to "Very Small" which is a value of 100 in the user.ini and that is causing less texture, LOD to be streamed.

Switch it back to the setting you had before and everything will be back to normal.

Quoting this so more people will see it.

gdt5016 said:
Yeah, this driver killed my performance. Even on low settings, I was maxed at 15 fps. Same as on high, and it made the lighting look kinda weird.

Now, I can't figure out how to go back to my old driver.

Uninstall, boot into Safe Mode and run Driver Sweeper, then reboot and reinstall your old ones.

If you're lazy, just uninstall the old ones, reboot, and install the new ones.

Zeliard

Domcorleone said:

You sure you have ubersampling off? I notice you didn't list it there.

Here's some screens. Notice the vast change when taking just one step forward.

The leaves:

image0001fndh.png

image0002suln.png

The rock:

image0003kn9m.png

image00040uop.png

I set LOD to far to compare - same problem, no difference.

I also noticed that minor stutters correspond to the loading icon spinning...

Top Bottom