• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Kyaw said:
with everything else enabled? :O
I get about 10fps in the Inn in Flotsam.

Just use 1000 value in texturememorybudget.
Yeah, on Ultra, but it goes down pretty hard whenever an enemy shows up (around 18 or so), not worth it. I'm also just playing on 1280x720 :p

But Very High is about 400, if that's too high, wouldn't 1000 break my GPU in half? Seriously the game has one shitty config screen if you have to fiddle with the .ini. But as I said, I'm perfectly fine with "High" texture memory budget, I barely notice the texture streaming.

But I suppose I could try it out :). But isn't 1000 too high a setting for 1gB of vram?
For those wondering, I have turned SSAO and Bloom off (looks way better that way :D!)

Edit: What really confuses me though is the fact that I get worse framerate using lower texture memory allocation. Is that because my CPU has to work harder or something?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
vexvegaz said:
i envy you guys pulling those 80+ FPS :(

hopefully in june when i can get my second 570 ill reach 80+ with some oc'ing

Why would it matter if you could pull ~60? I mean for me it's just a case of getting the most you can get out of the system, be that 60fps or 600fps I'll still cap it at 60.

Salaadin

Corky said:
Why would it matter if you could pull ~60? I mean for me it's just a case of getting the most you can get out of the system, be that 60fps or 600fps I'll still cap it at 60.

Thats how I am with most games too. Vsync always on, framerate usually capped at 60.
TW2 runs 30-60 for me but, oddly enough, I dont notice the changes in fps unless I have the counter displayed.

vexvegaz

Corky said:

to me it, the higher the fps the "smoother" the game play feels. aside from that, i find more enjoyment with high numbers than i do with actual gameplay. been that way since i got hooked to oc'n and tweaks. (quake tourny & celeron 300a)

Corky

Salaadin said:
Thats how I am with most games too. Vsync always on, framerate usually capped at 60.
TW2 runs 30-60 for me but, oddly enough, I dont notice the changes in fps unless I have the counter displayed.

Yeah I hear ya man, I figure myself a guy with a good eye when it comes to fps and all that but there are a couple of games where I've had a hard time discerning infrequent dips, Crysis 1 and witcher 2 are two of those.

Just like you I couldn't notice the dips from say 60 to 50 or w/e in witcher 2 unless I had a counter up for other reasons, but in a game like SF4 or something when it goes from 60 to 55 you die inside.

vexvegaz said:
to me it, the higher the fps the "smoother" the game play feels. aside from that, i find more enjoyment with high numbers than i do with actual gameplay. been that way since i got hooked to oc'n and tweaks. (quake tourny & celeron 300a)

Oh no doubt, I mean of course if you're running a game in the 100-200fps bracket you won't ever feel like the game is crawling, but hover around 60fps and it can get dangerous depending on the game. I just like you have that curse of finding enjoyment with high numbers but when it comes to for example tw2 I wouldn't be envious per se if people could run the game on the same settings but get 80 fps vs whatever.

Salaadin

Corky said:
Yeah I hear ya man, I figure myself a guy with a good eye when it comes to fps and all that but there are a couple of games where I've had a hard time discerning infrequent dips, Crysis 1 and witcher 2 are two of those.

Just like you I couldn't notice the dips from say 60 to 50 or w/e in witcher 2 unless I had a counter up for other reasons, but in a game like SF4 or something when it goes from 60 to 55 you die inside.

Yeah. Some games just feel so jarring when the fps drops. Crysis was the same way for me too....fps varies alot but I dont really notice it. I wonder why that is.

Screen tearing is the worst thing in any game, imo. Its the main reason why I keep Vsync on (thru d3doverrider mostly)regardless of what Im playing. I think I hate tearing more than fps drops.

From reading these impressions, I'm kinda glad I didn't dive head first into the patching train. The extra frames aren't worth not being able to scroll text with the gamepad..

Corky

Salaadin said:
Yeah. Some games just feel so jarring when the fps drops. Crysis was the same way for me too....fps varies alot but I dont really notice it. I wonder why that is.

Screen tearing is the worst thing in any game, imo. Its the main reason why I keep Vsync on (thru d3doverrider mostly)regardless of what Im playing. I think I hate tearing more than fps drops.

I think I read somewhere that in certain games the motion blur will somehow "hide" slight drops in fps. Could be wrong though.

True that, agree 100%, if we're to take it to the extremes I'd rather have 30fps triple buffered than 60+ fps and tearing out the ass. Thank god for triplebuffering. Out of the probably 100 games or so I've tried with d3doverrider only :

a) gta 4
b) valve-games

Give me trouble, GTA much more than the others. The load times go from 15 s to like 4 minutes. And in the valve-games the induced mouselagg is sadly that much more noticeably when enabling triplebuffering.

Red

dak1dsk1 said:
How is the game best played, with mouse & keyboard or via xbox 360 controller?
360 controller works well for the most part, but isn't perfect (menu scrolling uses D-pad only, and you don't have quick or full control over the map screen). M&K is completely solid.

Salaadin

Corky said:
I think I read somewhere that in certain games the motion blur will somehow "hide" slight drops in fps. Could be wrong though.

True that, agree 100%, if we're to take it to the extremes I'd rather have 30fps triple buffered than 60+ fps and tearing out the ass. Thank god for triplebuffering. Out of the probably 100 games or so I've tried with d3doverrider only :

a) gta 4
b) valve-games

Give me trouble, GTA much more than the others. The load times go from 15 s to like 4 minutes. And in the valve-games the induced mouselagg is sadly that much more noticeably when enabling triplebuffering.

I agree on all accounts.
I have the same issues with Valve games. Crysis and Warhead 64bit wont work in d3doverrider at all for some reason. I have to use the in game option.
NyxQuest and Terraria wont boot at all unless I set them up in d3doverrider to "No Detection" but theyre the only 2 games I had to do that for.

dak1dsk1

Banned
Crunched said:
360 controller works well for the most part, but isn't perfect (menu scrolling uses D-pad only, and you don't have quick or full control over the map screen). M&K is completely solid.
Thanks mate!

Corky

Speaking of the map, did anybody else find the whole mapsystem absolutely horrendeous? I mean the zooming aspect is redundant since it's switching the transparency between one bad map and one 100% worthless map ( the "big" one )

Red

dak1dsk1 said:
Thanks mate!
Newest patch also breaks scrolling text on a gamepad. Before, the right stick could be used to move text that spilled past the screen border. Hopefully will be fixed with the next update.

Corky said:
Speaking of the map, did anybody else find the whole mapsystem absolutely horrendeous? I mean the zooming aspect is redundant since it's switching the transparency between one bad map and one 100% worthless map ( the "big" one )
The map system is awful, yes.

Corky said:

That map is so useless, but thats a good thing because it teaches you to remember the area in your mind.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Corky said:

Ayup.

I tried to avoid using the map as much as possible.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yeah, the map is totally fucking useless. The worst is the map in Chapter 3. It tells you absolutely nothing.

Admittedly, I haven't tried playing with a pad, but KB&M is second nature. I like being able to just hit 8 for Quen, 5 for Aard, 7 for Igni, etc. Are there enough buttons on the pad to include the medallion and adrenaline functions?

The region map is useless, but I don't have a problem with the local map. Without it labeling shops and crafters I'd be hopelessly lost.

gdt

As a new PC gamer, this combat was a nightmare with a kb+m on this game. Keys too far, wasd wasn't helping dodging and moving between enemies, yadda yadda, (ctrl was mega uncomfortable, for example), but the gamepad was perfect. Hopefully the analog menu glitch is fixed before I start actually playing (I was just tweaking and configuring before).

Kyaw

thetrin said:
Yeah, the map is totally fucking useless. The worst is the map in Chapter 3. It tells you absolutely nothing.

Fucking chapter 3 and it's map (No, more like, fucking chapter 3!). I literally spent like a whole hour trying to get to where i wanted to go.

Easy_D said:
Yeah, on Ultra, but it goes down pretty hard whenever an enemy shows up (around 18 or so), not worth it. I'm also just playing on 1280x720 :p

But Very High is about 400, if that's too high, wouldn't 1000 break my GPU in half? Seriously the game has one shitty config screen if you have to fiddle with the .ini. But as I said, I'm perfectly fine with "High" texture memory budget, I barely notice the texture streaming.

But I suppose I could try it out :). But isn't 1000 too high a setting for 1gB of vram?
For those wondering, I have turned SSAO and Bloom off (looks way better that way :D!)

Edit: What really confuses me though is the fact that I get worse framerate using lower texture memory allocation. Is that because my CPU has to work harder or something?

1000 shouldn't break shit as long as you have a GPU with 1gb or more.
I thought you were playing it at 1080p. I was getting 60fps with 720p with everything maxed out minus uber.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
gdt5016 said:
As a new PC gamer, this combat was a nightmare with a kb+m on this game. Keys too far (ctrl was mega uncomfortable, for example), but the gamepad was perfect. Hopefully the analog menu glitch is fixed before I start actually playing (I was just tweaking and configuring before).

I mapped the radial menu to Mouse 4. It makes things infinitely easier.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I bought GOG version (my retail CE can go fuck itself, the patch doesn't want to install) and downloading it at the moment.

Should I patch it with day 0 patch or is it already patched?

I don't know if I should patch it with 1.1 though. I don't play with gamepad, are there any good fixes?

Also I have the latest ATI "fix", does it ruin bloom for everybody or some specific cards? I have 6950.

Kyaw

subversus said:
I bought GOG version (my retail CE can go fuck itself, the patch doesn't want to install) and downloading it at the moment.

Should I patch it with day 0 patch or is it already patched?

I don't know if I should patch it with 1.1 though. I don't play with gamepad, are there any good fixes?

Also I have the latest ATI "fix", does it ruin bloom for everybody or some specific cards? I have 6950.

Patch it. I think GoG version patches after installation anyway.

Are you looking to play with gamepad? If not, 1.1 should be fine with kb+m.

I'm not so sure about the ATI fix.

Reallink

Trying to install the 1.1 patch on a boxed retail copy from BB--using the "International Version" download. Soon as I launch the exe is throws up an error "Invalid or Incomplete Installation" (or something to that effect). I think a few people have mentioned this. Is there any fix besides reinstalling? Also, I recall a couple people claiming their saves were corrupted and unreadable after a reinstall.
_Xenon_ said:
Did you swap your thewitcher2.exe and paul.dll with the GOG version? You have to use your original files for the patch.

I patched the game last night and didn't run into any problem (boxed 2 dvd retail version).

Using the original retail exe and dll.

Kyaw

LiK said:
Curious, is it easy to import my Steam TW1 save to GoG TW2? Any hoops?

Your TW1 save should be in your Documents. So TW2 will easily recognise it.
You will have the option to import your TW1 save or start afresh when you start a new game in TW2.

LiK

Kyaw said:
Your TW1 save should be in your Documents. So TW2 will easily recognise it.
You will have the option to import your TW1 save or start afresh when you start a new game in TW2.

Documents? don't see that in my Steam folders.

gonna be importing. got my Raven Armor and two kickass swords i heard that will carry over. :)

Aurarian

Is AA working through the Nvidia Control Panel? Cause I have it put at 4x and I see noticeably more jaggies with it on then with the MLAA from the in-game settings.

Corky

Aurarian said:
Is AA working through the Nvidia Control Panel? Cause I have it put at 4x and I see noticeably more jaggies with it on then with the MLAA from the in-game settings.

I don't know about you but I found the ingame AA setting to be exemplary for a setting that only has 1 setting.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
On a 5850 I boosted the texture memory to 800 and got a large performance boost. I also doubled the shadow sizes and increased mesh distance scale to 5 at no penalty. However, the AA doesn't work, there is none whatsoever.

right now i have a Single 5870 i am thinking of getting another one for this game. After the AMD hotfix how is the framerate for 5870 CF?

Salaadin

Dice said:
On a 5850 I boosted the texture memory to 800 and got a large performance boost. I also doubled the shadow sizes and increased mesh distance scale to 5 at no penalty. However, the AA doesn't work, there is none whatsoever.

Is all that done with an ini tweak? Is there someplace I can read up on these various tweaks?

thetrin

Yeah, I had to switch in my old exe and dll files to get the patcher to work. Went off without a hitch after that though.

Aurarian

Corky said:
I don't know about you but I found the ingame AA setting to be exemplary for a setting that only has 1 setting.

No, I don't have a problem with the way it looks but it takes off around 5-10 FPS for me while I keep the same framerate with 4x on the NVIDIA control panel. I don't really think AA is working though cause there isn't a difference between it being off and the AA off in game when it's on by itself.

Corky

Aurarian said:
No, I don't have a problem with the way it looks but it takes off around 5-10 FPS for me while I keep the same framerate with 4x on the NVIDIA control panel. I don't really think AA is working though cause there isn't a difference between it being off and the AA off in game when it's on by itself.

Oh I had no idea the nvidia control panel AA didn't affect performance.

Kyaw

Aurarian said:

Apparently other types of AA doesnt work with this game apart from MLAA because of Deferred rendering or so i've been told.

Aurarian

Corky said:
Oh I had no idea the nvidia control panel AA didn't affect performance.

That's what it looks like to me. Maybe because it's not really working is the reason it isn't affecting my performance.

Kyaw said:
Apparently other types of AA doesnt work with this game apart from MLAA because of Deferred rendering or so i've been told.

That might explain why I don't see any difference then.

MNC

Awesome to hear patch increases FPS so much. First people were at 50-60 tops... Now I see things like 110fps :D

Binabik15

Dice said:

Hm, I have it at 600, will bump it up.

I haven´t compared AA on/off, but there´s hardly any jaggies anyway.

Dat graphics. Everytime I turn it on I think: dat graphics. Damn.

Top Bottom