• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Salaadin

Facism said:
man my texture quality has taken a bloody nose dive since the patch. No matter what settings i use, i get terrible textures everywhere. Really annoying on my second playthrough. Everything seems to have taken a dip in quality, from the character models to the bricks in the walls and the mud on the ground. Going to have to reinstall, i think.
Texture downscaling wasnt turned on by accident, was it?

vermadas

So I debated a lot about pre-ordering this game, but I gave in in the end. When it finally released I was enamored with Spacechem. I also have a low/mid-range system (4850 512MB, E8400 C2D) so I decided to wait for new drivers / 1.1 patch, as I would need whatever performance help I can get. I was excited to start the game yesterday, and then deflated when I noticed that Steam had to download 9 GB for the patch. Now I'm reading that gamepad support is half-broken. Argh!

Minsc

Gold Member
So embarrassingly it seems my performance issues were due to something totally random. Reverting back to 1.0 didn't fix them, but rebooting did. Go figure. I clued in to it when I was getting 30fps in Risen instead of 60 as well.

So now I'm back at 1.0, my analog sticks work, and I have a much more comfortable framerate again. I guess I just won't update until 1.3 when the gamepads are rumored to be fixed.

On the plus side, I can compare screens against those posted earlier and see if the LOD/object disappearing problems brought in 1.1 are a placebo or not!

So I am hoping that someone here can help me. I got this game last night and when I installed it the performance test said I was recommended to play on medium. I was hoping my specs would be good enough to play on a higher setting, I also dont see anyway to change the settings after I start the game up, is there anyway to change the settings now that I have started on medium?

My PC's specs are:

Intel Core i7-2600K (8MB Cache) Overclocked Turbo Boost to 4.1GHz
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
Dual 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SLI Enabled
1TB SATA 3Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache

Solo

You can play on Ultra, man. Change your settings in the launcher.

I have i5 2500K, a single GTX570 and 8 gigs, and I am playing Ultra at 50 FPS, everything on but uber.

Salaadin

Minsc said:
So embarrassingly it seems my performance issues were due to something totally random. Reverting back to 1.0 didn't fix them, but rebooting did. Go figure. I clued in to it when I was getting 30fps in Risen instead of 60 as well.

So now I'm back at 1.0, my analog sticks work, and I have a much more comfortable framerate again. I guess I just won't update until 1.3 when the gamepads are rumored to be fixed.

On the plus side, I can compare screens against those posted earlier and see if the LOD/object disappearing problems brought in 1.1 are a placebo or not!

Id like that.

Sucks that things broke for you but at least you got it working good again.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
gdt5016 said:
Oh?

I have it set to very high too, I remember reading even that was conservative for a 1gb graphics card.
Had it set to high pre AMD Hotfix. They must have broken something, but I can't notice a single difference between high texture that I have now and the very high I used to use. What's weird is that using anything lower than high makes my framerate worse.

Solo said:
You can play on Ultra, man. Change your settings in the launcher.

I have i5 2500K, a single GTX570 and 8 gigs, and I am playing Ultra at 50 FPS, everything on but uber.

Thanks man, I will try that tonight. I was really impressed by how the game looked on medium, so I cant wait to see it on a higher setting.

Fredescu

yankeehater said:
So I am hoping that someone here can help me. I got this game last night and when I installed it the performance test said I was recommended to play on medium. I was hoping my specs would be good enough to play on a higher setting, I also dont see anyway to change the settings after I start the game up, is there anyway to change the settings now that I have started on medium?
You have to browse to the folder and launch Configurator.exe. Turn everything on but ultrasampling (and maybe bloom and motion blur, depending on what you like).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
knitoe said:
Yes. CF 6970.

Sorry, but there's no way you are getting >70 fps @ 1080p with just a 6950. My CF 6970 only gets me ~80fps which is almost double after the hotfix.

11.5b hotfix:
witcher.png
You're right, it hovers just below 60 most of the time but gets up to 80. Not sure what others are getting but eh lol

Fallout-NL said:
Hmm, where'd you get that hood and armor?
PM'd you.

gdt

Minsc said:

Wait, the gamepad issue won't be fixed till 1.3?

What?

That's insane. How long....wtf!

This is my first pc game launch (just got my gaming laptop almost 2 weeks ago)...and it's been a horrible experience frankly. Fix one thing (maybe), fuck up another.

Salaadin

M.D said:
How do you display the FPS and GPU temp in the game like that?

I use MSI Afterburner for stuff like GPU temp, usage, etc. Im not sure if it does FPS.
MSI Afterburner also keeps a graph of your usage/temp/etc outside of the game so you dont necessarily need the on screen display. You can just alt-tab out and view the jumps in usage/temp.
Its also a good program for overclocking and automatically adjusting fan speed based on GPU temp if any of that interests you.

For FPS, I use Radeon Pro but FRAPS is probably the most popular.

knitoe

Salaadin said:
I use MSI Afterburner for stuff like GPU temp, usage, etc. Im not sure if it does FPS.
MSI Afterburner also keeps a graph of your usage/temp/etc outside of the game so you dont necessarily need the on screen display. You can just alt-tab out and view the jumps in usage/temp.
Its also a good program for overclocking and automatically adjusting fan speed based on GPU temp if any of that interests you.

Also, what I use. And, it does display FPS. Look at the screenshot in my previous post.

IronRinn

Salaadin said:

Yes, MSI Afterburner does do FPS. Edit: Beat me to it.

Really disappointed to hear about the problems with the gamepad support after the patch. Probably going to stay away until they release a fix.

M.D

Thank you! gonna try that out now

I'm not sure why, but when I use FRAPS, I feel like the game runs less smoother... maybe it just me, but I wanted to check it out anyway

gdt5016 said:
Yeah, I know I know. But it's what you think when can't get the damn game to launch for some reason :lol.

Its not as bad if you just take what they give you straight, but if you try and get optimal performance using tweeks etc (ie start fiddling), all sorts of problems can crop up...its the double edged sword of the PC customizablity....

I personally, will game on the PC to get my graphical fix mainly until the release of the next gen systems, then that will do me for graphics again...

I will still be doing much more gaming on PS3 than PC though, and the graphics on that system are still impressing me to no end...Infamous 2 is just round the corner and looks damn amazing

LiK

Truant said:
Only way to prevent Steam from DLing the patch is to start it in offline mode?
You can turn off "Update Game Automatically" in the Properties menu. That should include patches I think.

Edit: Beaten

Nezabyte

Neo Member
I just saw this on the gog forums:
Don't use normal Ubersampling. Edit your .ini file and set it to UBERSAMPLING=1 -- That sets higher textures without the higher antialiasing. It looks amazing on this
Just tried it myself, and unless I'm imagining things, definitely looks like it's enabled (slighty more fuzzy) yet still gives me decent FPS. Can anyone explain how this magic works? thought the options settings just changes your ini file.

LiquidMetal14

mescalineeyes said:
Your PC must be trash if you think anything on PS3 looks amazing.
Really now? There are some amazing technical showcases considering the age of the HW within the consoles.

The Witcher 2 pretty much stands above every game ever in visuals for me.

Nezabyte said:

Just tried it myself, and unless I'm imagining things, definitely looks like it's enabled (slighty more fuzzy) yet still gives me decent FPS. Can anyone explain how this magic works? thought the options settings just changes your ini file.
REALLY? Trying this now. Back in 10.

Salaadin

LiquidMetal14 said:
Really now? There are some amazing technical showcases considering the age of the HW within the consoles.

The Witcher 2 pretty much stands above every game ever in visuals for me.

REALLY? Trying this now. Back in 10.

Can you post before/after shots so we can be sure this isnt a placebo thing?

LiquidMetal14

Salaadin said:
Can you post before/after shots so we can be sure this isnt a placebo thing?
I am, 2 minutes.

I DO NOT have uber enabled but in the ini edited it to a 1. If I have to enable then someone let me know.

LiquidMetal14

This first shot I forgot to turn on the FR monitor but I got 69fps with uber set to 1 BUT I did not turn it on via the config tool.

witcher22011-05-2710-3p7m9.png

And with uber set to 0. If I'm doing this wrong, I would like to know. The FR is slightly different but it may be due to the slight camera positioning.

witcher22011-05-2710-4f7fw.png

I will retry it with a different scene if I can get confirmation of this actually working. I did not take a huge FR hit or flux though.

Maybe manually enabling it in the config will work? And sorry as these shots aren't exactly the best representation of a difference so I will try another scene.

gdt

knitoe said:
Copy the file to somewhere else, change it and copy / overwrite the old one.

I can edit it, but can't save. That's the message that pops up when I try to save/overwrite.

knitoe

gdt5016 said:
I can edit it, but can't save. That's the message that pops up when I try to save/overwrite.
Copy the file to somewhere else, edit and save the new one, delete old one and move the new one back into the same place.

gdt

knitoe said:
Copy the file to somewhere else, edit and save the new one, delete old one and move the new one back into the same place.

Ah, I see, it says I don't have permission, I'm not the admin. Okay...

Aurarian

Kevin said:
Does anyone know if the Nvidia beta drivers actually increase performance for The Witcher 2 over the regular April 18th drivers currently out? If so, by how much?

Not for me at least. I hope they include some performance improvements in the next batch of drivers.

Kyaw

LiquidMetal14 said:
This first shot I forgot to turn on the FR monitor but I got 69fps with uber set to 1 BUT I did not turn it on via the config tool.

http://www.abload.de/img/witcher22011-05-2710-3p7m9.png

And with uber set to 0. If I'm doing this wrong, I would like to know. The FR is slightly different but it may be due to the slight camera positioning.

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/witcher22011-05-2710-4f7fw.png

I will retry it with a different scene if I can get confirmation of this actually working. I did not take a huge FR hit or flux though.

Maybe manually enabling it in the config will work? And sorry as these shots aren't exactly the best representation of a difference so I will try another scene.[/QUOTE]

Uber needs to be 2 to enable it.

Kyaw

Ubersampling definitely looks great but my single 480 chugs the game at about 10fps@1080p.

Want SLI 480... but i would need a 1000w PSU.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Kyaw said:
Ubersampling definitely looks great but my single 480 chugs the game at about 10fps@1080p.

Want SLI 480... but i would need a 1000w PSU.
My single 5870 can do Uber at 30 fps... (If I'm outside in the wilderness with no NPC's or enemies around.. >_>)

And has anyone else had to change their texture memory size to High from Very High after the AMD Hot"fix"? With it on Very High it seems to run out of vram as I get mad microstuttering, unresponsive camera and horrid texture pop in. Also frequent load screens.

Insane! But it works better on High anyway, haven't noticed a single texture pop in since I changed :)!

Kyaw

Easy_D said:
My single 5870 can do Uber at 30 fps... (If I'm outside in the wilderness with no NPC's or enemies around.. >_>)

And has anyone else had to change their texture memory size to High from Very High after the AMD Hot"fix"? With it on Very High it seems to run out of vram as I get mad microstuttering, unresponsive camera and horrid texture pop in. Also frequent load screens.

Insane! But it works better on High anyway, haven't noticed a single texture pop in since I changed :)!

with everything else enabled? :O
I get about 10fps in the Inn in Flotsam.

Just use 1000 value in texturememorybudget.

knitoe

Nezabyte said:

I saw no difference in image quality or fps.

mescalineeyes said:
Your PC must be trash if you think anything on PS3 looks amazing.

you must have nails stuck through your pupils, I could remove them for you if you like, but I am afraid it might result in the in the seeping through of actual clarity and coherence...hit me up, $10,000 to get the job done and dusted

Top Bottom