• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Grymm

Banned
As far as texture memory size goes, what's acceptable if you have a gig of vram? very large cool?

You can play with very large but it's going to effect your frame rate a bit. I'd go with large or medium.

It doesn't effect the way the textures look at all or make them lower res. It just changes the amount stored in memory vs what's streaming from your hd.

Nekrono

Would OC'ing a 2500k from stock to say ... 4.3GHz show a FPS increase in this game?

I'm trying to find benchmarks or something showing the difference between a stock 2500k and an OC one but I can't find anything.

I'm running 4GB RAM and a 6950 @stock.

Varna

Would OC'ing a 2500k from stock to say ... 4.3GHz show a FPS increase in this game?

I'm trying to find benchmarks or something showing the difference between a stock 2500k and an OC one but I can't find anything.

I'm running 4GB RAM and a 6950 @stock.

I don't think this game in particular is CPU heavy, but it wouldn't hurt. Getting a nice, stable OC on a 2500k is ridiculously easy. I hit 4.6GHZ easy. I'm using an aftermarket cooler though so your mileage will vary.

RedSwirl

Anybody mind listing what temps they get with this game? I'm thinking I might have to play this game with my computer cover off just to see what my problem is but I'm not sure how safe that is.

Zimbardo

*yaaaaawn*

Anyone else getting random black screens every few seconds or so ?

edit : some more clarification, the game "dies" goes to black my gpu stops and then it starts again with blurry textures that are then loaded in and everything is back to normal for a couple of seconds and then it happens again...

i have 2 gtx560 cards ...running the newest nvidia beta drivers.

was running the game and i could hear the video card fan reving up higher than usual ...everything seemed fine, and about 15 minutes later i got the black screen for about 2 seconds and then it recovered and continued normally.

i exited the game and checked the event log and the nvidia driver experienced a TDR.

i had my video cards overclocked when it happened, but it surprised me because everything else had been working fine ...ie, Battlefield 3, Heaven Benchmark, Crysis 2, etc.

so anyway, i disabled the overclock and went with the card's default speeds that they shipped with and Witcher 2 seemed fine.

hopefully it doesn't happen again, but the game must really stress the ass off the video hardware to have caused that TDR when games like Battlefield 3 and Crysis 2 are fine.

maybe it's the beta drivers just not agreeing with the new Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition ...i dunno.

i checked my GPU temps immediately after exiting Witcher 2 and the primary card was running around 51c ....the 2nd card was in the 40s, can't remember exactly. so they didn't seem extra hot or anything.

EDIT: btw, i was running 1080p + Ultra spec (but with Ubersampling disabled). the game was running very good ...looked to be a consistent 60fps/vsync'd.

Nekrono

The stuttering fix breaks vsync, is there any way to force it? I've tried D3DO, RadeonPro, Catalyst.

The only method that seems to work is enabling vsync through the config but it makes the stuttering come back.

I'm at a loss, but to be honest I'll take no stutter over tearing.

The stuttering fix breaks vsync, is there any way to force it? I've tried D3DO, RadeonPro, Catalyst.

The only method that seems to work is enabling vsync through the config but it makes the stuttering come back.

I'm at a loss, but to be honest I'll take no stutter over tearing.

I was able to fix stuttering by limiting the framerate to 30 FPS using DXtory. Then I could force vsync and triple buffering in RadeonPro to eliminate tearing.

Launch day, a year ago? Have you cleaned out your fans since then, or recently?

I clean out the dust monthly. There isn't a speck of dust in it. The fans run at 100%. It's the memory sensory which reaches 100% degrees. The shader sensor stays content at around 80 degrees.

At launch the game used to stutter and I think the CPU used to throttle. I'm guessing they transferred a lot of the work to the GPU at some point because I can run it fine on high now without a stutter.

Another thing. At launch the "Detect Best Settings" used to default to high. It now defaults to Low.

The only difference is I upgraded my ram to 8GB and I doubt that is the problem.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
i have 2 gtx560 cards ...running the newest nvidia beta drivers..

Very odd, I have two 560 ti's myself and I even stooped so low to underclock AND overvolt my cards but even then I get TDRs. ( running stock was even worse )

Blergh.

Eusis

I don't think this game in particular is CPU heavy, but it wouldn't hurt. Getting a nice, stable OC on a 2500k is ridiculously easy. I hit 4.6GHZ easy. I'm using an aftermarket cooler though so your mileage will vary.
It's definitely a CPU heavy game, but I get the impression that once you're on something like the i5 2500k it's not a big deal how fast the CPU is anymore versus the video card. But that probably does depend on the video card, whether it's a very high end one being bottlenecked.

Why? Really looking forward to get back into the game. So I download all 10GB, start to install and immediately get a corrupted file. Can't continue and when I try to start the game it won't start. Un-install, re-install, re-download. Bollocks. At least it's free, though my time isn't. :(

Zimbardo

Very odd, I have two 560 ti's myself and I even stooped so low to underclock AND overvolt my cards but even then I get TDRs. ( running stock was even worse )

Blergh.

maybe if i continued to play it longer it would have eventually did it again. wouldn't surprise me anyway.

but it seems that its the only game that has any issues, and i have a pretty large sampling of games.

must be driver related ...or something wrong with the game that needs to be patched.

chiablo

Anybody mind listing what temps they get with this game? I'm thinking I might have to play this game with my computer cover off just to see what my problem is but I'm not sure how safe that is.

It's definitely safe to run your PC with the cover off. You could also point a large box fan into the open enclosure to see if you get more stability. Most cases are designed with a certain airflow in mind, so running your PC with the cover off will give you less cooling than leaving the cover on. The only way to really tell is to monitor temperatures with the cover on, then monitor them with the cover off.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
maybe if i continued to play it longer it would have eventually did it again. wouldn't surprise me anyway.

but it seems that its the only game that has any issues, and i have a pretty large sampling of games.

must be driver related ...or something wrong with the game that needs to be patched.

Same here, exactly like yourself I do have an extensive pc gaming library ( Hi my name is corky and I'm a steamaddict ) and again just like yourself playing games like bf3, crysis 2 etc won't do anything with the pc. Couple that with the fact that I played through the game twice before EE without problems leads me to take for granted that the error is game/software side

Nope, can't install the EE patch. Other people are having this problem too. Tried everything suggested so far in this forum. Looks like I can download a copy from GOG instead, though. Still, what a load of phooey! *smh*
It was supposed to be fixed bit it isn't, at least not for me.

Erebus

Nope, can't install the EE patch. Other people are having this problem too. Tried everything suggested so far in this forum. Looks like I can download a copy from GOG instead, though. Still, what a load of phooey! *smh*
It was supposed to be fixed bit it isn't, at least not for me.

aEki1.jpg

It's driving me nuts since yesterday.

DarkUSS said:
It's driving me nuts since yesterday.
GOG version out of curiosity? I had the same issue. I redownloaded pack 1 and 2 and tried to put them in the folder and was met with a different error at that point. How did I fix it? I redownloaded the whole game from GOG.com. If you bought it from there, they automatically offer the EE version backup download here as Slackbladder mentioned:

http://www.gog.com/en/witcher2/backup/

hlhbk

So to anyone having issues with LOD/Draw distance/pop in apprently this is a known bug that randomly effects certain systems. I have tried every user.ini config I can find, and nothing fixes the pop in 5 feet in front of you. I found a thread over at GOG forums stating that the issue has been going on since at least last summer and CD Projekt while knowing about it never fixed it.

I have tried updating all of my drivers/bios, and nothing fixes it. If anyone has experienced this and knows the fix PLEASE post he solution here!

Varna

So to anyone having issues with LOD/Draw distance/pop in apprently this is a known bug that randomly effects certain systems. I have tried every user.ini config I can find, and nothing fixes the pop in 5 feet in front of you. I found a thread over at GOG forums stating that the issue has been going on since at least last summer and CD Projekt while knowing about it never fixed it.

I have tried updating all of my drivers/bios, and nothing fixes it. If anyone has experienced this and knows the fix PLEASE post he solution here!

I think this is BS. It's just a matter of some people being extremely sensitive to it. First time I played through the game I didn't notice any of it. Second time I couldn't stop noticing it. This was on the same system. I have gone through three Window installs and other hardware changes and it's always there. In fact I remember thinking it was something caused by one of the updates, so I made a few videos and posted them over at the official forums. They all pretty much said it was like that from the very beginning.

hlhbk

I think this is BS. It's just a matter of some people being extremely sensitive to it. First time I played through the game I didn't notice any of it. Second time I couldn't stop noticing it. This was on the same system. I have gone through three Window installs and other hardware changes and it's always there. In fact I remember thinking it was something caused by one of the updates, so I made a few videos and posted them over at the official forums. They all pretty much said it was like that from the very beginning.

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/odd_graphical_issues_the_box_of_high_detail_textures

Please read that thread. If you aren't convinced that people are randomly not seeing this issue browse around forums like I have been doing the last 2 days. Some people are not seeing this at all and have posted screenshots showing as much. If it were the case that this is just a limitation of the engine I have no idea why people would be raving about the tech for the Witcher 2. Say what you want about Bethesda and Bioware but I haven't seen any of this bush league pop in from them in years. In comparison Mass Effect 1 had far better draw distance than I am getting in the Witcher 2.

Complistic

Every time I launch through Steam it redownloads or does maintenence on MS .net Framework 4?!

What the fuck is going on?

it's a glitch. I bought the steam edition but between that and the steam cloud problems I just deleted it and downloaded my free gog copy.

Works great.

bengraven

it's a glitch. I bought the steam edition but between that and the steam cloud problems I just deleted it and downloaded my free gog copy.

Works great.

"See, our game glitches with their service! Buy only on GOG today!"

Go to the root folder and delete the one called redist, which is launching the installer every time. Worked for me.

Awesome, thanks. I want to start playing, but I keep getting this over and over again and it's taking forever to download due to my bottlenecked download speeds.

Minsc

Gold Member
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/odd_graphical_issues_the_box_of_high_detail_textures

Please read that thread. If you aren't convinced that people are randomly not seeing this issue browse around forums like I have been doing the last 2 days. Some people are not seeing this at all and have posted screenshots showing as much. If it were the case that this is just a limitation of the engine I have no idea why people would be raving about the tech for the Witcher 2. Say what you want about Bethesda and Bioware but I haven't seen any of this bush league pop in from them in years. In comparison Mass Effect 1 had far better draw distance than I am getting in the Witcher 2.

Because, despite all the flaws of the engine, the game still looks incredible. Meticulously detailed textures (which are imo unmatched), excellent modeling, great, believable environments, no loading times for the most part, and a decent lighting engine. And it all comes together very well. Yes, some people are way more sensitive to the shadows, and some people's drivers have it worse than others. Same with the pop-in, I don't know, it really didn't bother me. When it comes to general image quality, there is no RPG that rivals this game in the higher settings (& 1080p+).

hlhbk

Because, despite all the flaws of the engine, the game still looks incredible. Meticulously detailed textures (which are imo unmatched), excellent modeling, great, believable environments, no loading times for the most part, and a decent lighting engine. And it all comes together very well. Yes, some people are way more sensitive to the shadows, and some people's drivers have it worse than others. Same with the pop-in, I don't know, it really didn't bother me. When it comes to general image quality, there is no RPG that rivals this game in the higher settings (& 1080p+).

So I got some stuff to show you and everyone here. Not sure if I should quote these to make them smaller, but then it might be hard to see....

88653c949f2b56efa07119ae9c6f4b65ea09d40b.jpg

A few steps back and notice how the shadows have disappeared:

c6675bc937cb8444402802f23a58b29b2ebc2977.jpg

Next one:

f94b06a1798fa0bdbb5cd96b30acd37586f317db.jpg

Notice how not only have shadows appeared not far away at all but a bush suddenly appears! If I take one step back the bush and shadow completely disappear!

3d902c2faf14bc3f6bcbdc677269cb35dd1eee70.jpg

I am sorry but that is just aweful. I don't care how pretty it looks its not that great of a feat if it can't render stuff 5 feet in front of you! I am convinced this is some kind of bug, because I just watched the Xbox 360 review on gametrailers and it had less pop ups with them running in a forest!

I am sorry but it's so distracting I can't play it. I waited for a year to play it and I will wait longer. CD Projekt needs to get off their butt and fix this crap!

Veal

Man since the update, my card (HD6870) has been overheating like crazy! It gets up to 82C and constantly stops the game, the driver resets once it hits around 75C, then shoots back up the 80's and process repeats! This never happened before, and it's saddening cause I still haven't beat the game (and it's looking like I won't with this issue!)

Complistic

I am sorry but it's so distracting I can't play it. I waited for a year to play it and I will wait longer. CD Projekt needs to get off their butt and fix this crap!

They're not going to fix that. It's just how the engine works. If you're going to let something little like that stop you from playing such a great game, I just don't know what to say to you.

Did you see his reaction when he realized the the console lighting changes weren't going to be rolled into the free content patch? The guy is really unhappy with CD Projekt Red and their game.

michaelo3333

Neo Member

Works great.

On the other hand, I always have issues with their patches and after this latest time I gave up and bought the Steam version. Patched okay, but then I had the .NET issue until I figured out how to fix it (you can also add some registry entries but just deleting the directory is probably easier).

I love these guys but they always screw something up, at least in my experience with them every time they release an update I have had problems.

Anyhow, I used to have a tweaked ini that I downloaded somewhere. Is there a good place to get a user.ini that would work well more or less for a GTX 570 Ti w/ 2GB of VRAM? I'm running stock but the textures have this grainy grid pattern on them and look like crap.

hlhbk

They're not going to fix that. It's just how the engine works. If you're going to let something little like that stop you from playing such a great game, I just don't know what to say to you.

News flash if something breaks the immersion its not something little. Considering how much gaf likes to get on companies for shitty console ports and piss poor developement I can't believe it is just accepted that the almighty Witcher 2 that I have been hearing about non stop for over a year regarding its presentation and graphics has pop in like it was made in 1999!

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Downloading the EE patch for my retail copy of the game has been a frustrating experience. The download timeouts every few minutes have all but stopped me from getting the patch on my computer at all. Once on, I hope the patch actually works.

Ceebs

Downloading the EE patch for my retail copy of the game has been a frustrating experience. The download timeouts every few minutes have all but stopped me from getting the patch on my computer at all. Once on, I hope the patch actually works.

I had the same problem. I got so fed up I just grabbed a torrent that I knew would keep going and updated that way. At times I wish more stuff would just be distributed via torrent legitimately. It works flawless every time.

michaelo3333

Neo Member
The whole game became corrupt once I tried to install the patch. I rebought the game on Steam. They're lucky I like it so much.

If it is any consolation the exact same thing happened to me. I got the bad patch file and it corrupted my entire game install so re-downloading the (supposedly) fixed file did not help. I said 'eff it and re-bought it on Steam.

This game and it's bad patches are basically a textbook example of why I don't buy games that don't activate on Steam anymore.

Of course CD Projekt also screwed up the Steam version by not having it register correctly that .NET is installed and thus the damned thing tries to reinstall every time you run it unless you take measures to circumvent that.

Minsc

Gold Member
So I got some stuff to show you and everyone here. Not sure if I should quote these to make them smaller, but then it might be hard to see....

Sorry to hear that, and I wish it would get fixed, but I'm not optimistic. I only noticed the dithering infrequently, maybe 10% of the game. Same with the pop-in. If I focused on it, it did annoy me, but then if I let it go and played the game, in most of the areas it wasn't a big deal for me... the shadows bothered me a lot more than the pop in and the shadows were fine for ~90% of the game, like I mentioned. Of course if any engine's flaws are put under a magnifying glass, they'll stand out like a sore thumb (see: RAGE's N64-era texturing), and if those particular issues are a make-or-break deal for you, it can be very off-putting I agree.

tauke

I'm still rocking a 9800GT 512MB and so far I can get used to low FPS but not stuttering. Using EVGA Precision, I noticed my memory usage is nearly max for most of the time.

W6niu.png

My settings is High textures with Texture Downscaling set to Low. It eliminates most of the pop in and stuttering for me but it is normal for the nearly maxed out VRAM usage?

Currently playing at 1280x720 resolution with SMAA injector.

SOLDIER

Every time I load up a save or get Game Over, it takes 10-15 seconds for the list of saves to show up.

Anyway I can speed this up?

Top Bottom