• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Guri

http://witcher.nexusmods.com/mods/274. This is supposedly a community fix that returns the grass to the way it looked pre-EE. The LOD issue remains but the grass blends in more naturally because it is darker. I haven't tried myself, I just saw it posted on their forums.

I haven't reached Chapter 2 in my EE play through so I've never experienced the highlighted grass pop in.

What folder do I put this? Couldn't find "Coocket". Is it the CookedPC?

EDIT: Never mind. Got it! It is the CookedPC folder.

Thrakier

Either your game/hardware has serious problems, or what your noticing is z fighting, which happens in a lot of games. I remember some flickering on those buff mercs in the prologue section, which was indeed z fighting. You'll have to snap screenshots of other stuff before I can tell if it's the game, or your hardware.

Comparison shots of the pop-in will also give us an example of the specific pop-in you're talking about. EG: Everyone has bad pop-in with the high LOD grass, which only renders ~3 meters in front of Geralt. But, outside of typical LOD stuff, I haven't noticed anything bad with people or objects.

I noticed flickering in the game related to Anti-Aliasing. With FXAA or SMAA it's better, but with the ingame FSAA soultion it's quite bad at times. It's very visible in grey areas like in a cave or with stone textures. Don't ask me why.

Also LOD is not the strong point of the Witcher engine.

REALLY? REALLY? FUCK. The game crashed to desktop at the VERY FUCKING END, during
Dadnellion's LAST SENTENCE "new story for Geralt of Rivia"
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

edit: nevermind. restarted the machine and saw the credits and the
post credits scene

I'm having really poor performance for some reason, my PC:

HD 6970 x 2 (crossfire)
i5 2500K @ 3.4Ghz
8Gb ram

Getting like 20-30 fps when looking in to the crowd of people fighting in the first level. If I turn away I get around 150 fps.
First I thought maybe the game is just so demanding but then I tried low settings and I was getting like 40 fps which is ridiculous considering the PC i have.

Anyone with similar specs able to achive stable 60 fps at the first fight with king Foltest?

I'm having really poor performance for some reason, my PC:

HD 6970 x 2 (crossfire)
i5 2500K @ 3.4Ghz
8Gb ram

Getting like 20-30 fps when looking in to the crowd of people fighting in the first level. If I turn away I get around 150 fps.
First I thought maybe the game is just so demanding but then I tried low settings and I was getting like 40 fps which is ridiculous considering the PC i have.

Anyone with similar specs able to achive stable 60 fps at the first fight with king Foltest?

First thing that always comes to mind when someone is getting poor performance on a high-end system is ubersampling but if you turned down the settings to low and are still having performance issues than ubersampling isn't the culprit. If you are getting poor performance on low settings, that would suggest a CPU bottleneck but I would have thought that a i5 2500K, even at a stock clock speed wouldn't be an issue. There was a crossfire driver update ages ago, so as long as you're not using extremely old drivers that shouldn't be an issue.

First thing that always comes to mind when someone is getting poor performance on a high-end system is ubersampling but if you turned down the settings to low and are still having performance issues than ubersampling isn't the culprit. If you are getting poor performance on low settings, that would suggest a CPU bottleneck but I would have thought that a i5 2500K, even at a stock clock speed wouldn't be an issue. There was a crossfire driver update ages ago, so as long as you're not using extremely old drivers that shouldn't be an issue.

Tried turning crossfire off but same thing happens even at the very lowest settings.

GPU usage goes down to about 30% when I'm looking at the fight, and when I look away the fps skyrockets and GPU usage goes back to 80-90%. Does seem like it's a CPU related issue.

All my other games are running fine too, able to max BF3 with a stable 60 fps

Well a i5 2500K should overclock over 4Ghz effortlessly and with a little more effort, you should be able to get near 4.5Ghz. You could give that a try but I wouldn't have thought that it would be necessary. My CPU is an older i7 930 clocked at 3.9Ghz and it doesn't appear to bottleneck my system at all. With the clock for clock advantage of a Sandy bridge, I would think your system would perform similarly to mine.

Khal_B

Is there a way to disable the intro cinematic in the game? The game freezes for at least 30 seconds everytime I skip it when I boot the game up.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Is there a way to disable the intro cinematic in the game? The game freezes for at least 30 seconds everytime I skip it when I boot the game up.

Try deleting (or moving) the savegames.
I had like 200 save, I moved all the old save to another directory (I don't want to lose them, so I didn't delete them) and kept only a few, the newer, and the boot after skipping the cinematic and when opening the menus became instant.

Khal_B

Try deleting (or moving) the savegames.
I had like 200 save, I moved all the old save to another directory (I don't want to lose them, so I didn't delete them) and kept only a few, the newer, and the boot after skipping the cinematic and when opening the menus became instant.

It worked, thanks. :)

I had to do the same thing when playing the 1st Witcher as well, thought they would have resolved this issue for the second game.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
It worked, thanks. :)

I had to do the same thing when playing the 1st Witcher as well, thought they would have resolved this issue for the second game.
It seems that savegames managing for CDProject is a bit difficult, lol.
You're welcome anyway. :)

I have a couple questions.

What happens when you use the recommended User.ini settings in the OP, set it to Read only but then change some settings in the options menu? Does it overwrite? Also when I use the Ultra+ configuration, it sets the texture size to very small and some other questionable values. Do these matter?

Second, if I delete the User.ini, and then go into options and change the graphics options, will it create a new User.ini automatically (so I can basically revert to default settings)?

For some reason I'm not too happy with the performance and even the look of the Ultra+ settings, especially the DOF but I'll play around with it a bit more.

teiresias

Is there anything I can add to the User.ini or another config file to force Gamepad control to be turned on when I start the game? It's very annoying that it defaults to keyboard when the game starts even if I load a game where I was playing the gamepad.

Lime

Is this supposed to be an improvement? The lighting has changed in my EE, where some of the glow effects simply aren't there anymore. Take a look at this:

My playthrough a year ago during release:
witcher22011-05-1814-x6dj3.png

My new playthrough of the EE:
witcher22012-05-2423-ejemb.png

It's the same thing with fire effects/spells, it's like they've lost all illumination. Should I try to re-install or is there some graphic options I should turn on/off?

Another example:

EE:
witcher22012-05-2421-zff24.png

Vanilla:
witcher22011-05-1800-q7d6q.png

PowerK

A bit late to the party. But I bought Witcher 2 EE from GOG a few days ago. (40% sale + DRM free)

This is one beautiful game. Pure eye-candy.

I ran everything maxed @ 2560x1600. With Ubersampling enabled, frame rates were essentially halved, it seemed. However, with occasional drop below 60fps, the game was smoothly playable.

I've toggled ubersampling on and off and I had hard time noticing any differences. But at 1600P, I'm guessing I probably won't notice Ubersampling because what it does is add a very extreme high quality level of AA (read SSAA) so being that I'm at 1600P, the image lines are already so sharp and defined it really can't get a whole lot better than that.

Also this game gave me the highest record on GPU temp so far (~95C) wow.
Quad-SLI scaling seems to be excellent. Utilization on all 4 GPUs were always hovering around 95~99%.

A bit late to the party. But I bought Witcher 2 EE from GOG a few days ago. (40% sale + DRM free)

This is one beautiful game. Pure eye-candy.

I ran everything maxed @ 2560x1600. With Ubersampling enabled, frame rates were essentially halved, it seemed. However, with occasional drop below 60fps, the game was smoothly playable.

I've toggled ubersampling on and off and I had hard time noticing any differences. But at 1600P, I'm guessing I probably won't notice Ubersampling because what it does is add a very extreme high quality level of AA (read SSAA) so being that I'm at 1600P, the image lines are already so sharp and defined it really can't get a whole lot better than that.

Also this game gave me the highest record on GPU temp so far (~95C) wow.
Quad-SLI scaling seems to be excellent. Utilization on all 4 GPUs were always hovering around 95~99%.
the_rock_clap_clap_gif.gif

PowerK

Ok. Played around with Ubersampling on vs off.

The difference is just not easy to notice at 2560x1600.

During gameplay, I could tell whether it's on or off by frame rate counter, not by image quality.
For this, I had to disable AfterBurner framerate limiter. Otherwise, I couldn't tell the difference as framerate would be always locked at 60fps.

With off, fps usually hovers around 150~160. With Ubersampling on, it hovers around 70~80 with occasional drop below 60 (into 50s).

These are in lossless PNG. Files sizes are about 7~8MB each.

#1 Ubersampling OFF
http://i.minus.com/i5IB438Ci4idv.png

#1 Ubersampling ON
http://i.minus.com/i0Hj5uoPe5caW.png

#2 Ubersampling OFF
http://i.minus.com/iEyhpDQA4MqF2.png

#2 Ubersampling ON
http://i.minus.com/iGi9bNW4Ol9mW.png

#3 Ubersampling OFF
http://i.minus.com/iHWZewaeTJvE2.png

#3 Ubersampling ON
http://i.minus.com/iGDJLvrPFyE5P.png

Gibbo

Hey guys wonder if anyone experience any stuttering during the cutscenes? Checked the OP and can't seem to find anything there. Gameplay usually runs close to 60fps- but I'm seeing wierd posturing in split second pauses during cutscenes.

my GPU is the HD 7870 if that helps

Dynamic3

Just picked this up during the Steam sale and I'm having an issue:

The game is extremely choppy and it looks like it's skipping frames every second and catching up to the action. It's as if I'm missing a whole set of frames every second. Any ideas? I can get 50+ fps in fraps with relatively high settings and 60+ with everything turned off, but the problem persists in all instances. Thanks.

2500K / 560ti / 8GB RAM

Edit: I think the stuttering fix may have worked...

Just picked this up during the Steam sale and I'm having an issue:

The game is extremely choppy and it looks like it's skipping frames every second and catching up to the action. It's as if I'm missing a whole set of frames every second. Any ideas? I can get 50+ fps in fraps with relatively high settings and 60+ with everything turned off, but the problem persists in all instances. Thanks.

2500K / 560ti / 8GB RAM

Edit: I think the stuttering fix may have worked...

Hmm, I have similar specs (i5-2320, 560ti, 8GB RAM) and the game is very smooth at 1080p with most things turned up - 40-60fps usually.

One thing that alleviated stuttering for me on my old computer was limiting the frame rate to 30fps. You can do this in Nvidia Inspector or with programs like Dxtory or Bandicam.

Dynamic3

Hmm, I have similar specs (i5-2320, 560ti, 8GB RAM) and the game is very smooth at 1080p with most things turned up - 40-60fps usually.

One thing that alleviated stuttering for me on my old computer was limiting the frame rate to 30fps. You can do this in Nvidia Inspector or with programs like Dxtory or Bandicam.

The stuttering fix in the op seemed to work.

On another note, has anyone else using the 360 pad noticed it takes multiple prresses of the A or directional buttons in certain menus (such as the LT menu) to engage something? Is this normal?

Also, my training seems to be bugged. It keeps asking me to spend my points in training but I already have. Sigh.

Dries

The stuttering fix in the op seemed to work.

On another note, has anyone else using the 360 pad noticed it takes multiple prresses of the A or directional buttons in certain menus (such as the LT menu) to engage something? Is this normal?

Also, my training seems to be bugged. It keeps asking me to spend my points in training but I already have. Sigh.

Yes had the same issue with controller which ultimately lead me back to KB/M. Works waaay better.

goodfella

Btw, if any Nvidia owners are getting worse stuttering than usual, revert back to the WHQL 301.42 driver, any later beta drivers have introduced new stutter.

PowerK

Btw, if any Nvidia owners are getting worse stuttering than usual, revert back to the WHQL 301.42 driver, any later beta drivers have introduced new stutter.
Yes, it was discussed recently in the official nVIDIA forums and Guru3D forums. ManuelG said they could reproduce this stuttering problem and the fix was coming.

Dawg

" Turning off the DOF makes such a HUGE difference to the frame rate. "

Which DOF does the OP mean?

Also, I've just reached the fort in Act II and the game got a little more laggy, especially during cutscene(s). Any settings I SHOULD disable for more performance (for minimal visual loss)

spec

i5 2500k @ stock settings
gtx 560 ti
8gb ram

Last but not least: on the part where you had to walk with the king (just at the start), the camera felt really jerky/laggy. Like, not smooth. Any way to fix things like that?

Bearthgar

Banned
I'm having some big issues with running the game on my laptop. I'd really appreciate any help

My specs:

i7-3610QM 2.3GHz Turbo to 3.3GHz
6GB DDR3
Geforce GT 650M

I feel like my specs are decent enough to run the game, however even on low settings at 1280x720 I'm still getting sub 20 fps.

On Nvidia's site there were not certified drivers for the card so I downloaded the beta drivers that were available. I also went into the Nvidia control panel and set up the 650M as the preferred graphics card as the global setting.

I'm getting really frustrated and would love any help. Thanks!

Wizman23

Banned
So can any actually get to the inventory screen by pressing up on the d pad? It says it can be done in the tutorial but it doesn't work. Nothing happens or he draws his sword. The 360 controller runs like utter dog shit in this game.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Hey guys, a few questions:

1. Where are my save files stored? I have a million saves and deleting one by one at the menu takes forever.

2. I'm not quite sure this is a bug but a couple of instances when Geralt has the option to get busy with a lady or two (
the succubus, the elf I saved from the burning building
) he automatically turns them down without giving me the option to accept or deny. According to the online Prima guide I should be able to make the decision. Is it just me?

Thanks.

Hey guys, a few questions:

1. Where are my save files stored? I have a million saves and deleting one by one at the menu takes forever.

2. I'm not quite sure this is a bug but a couple of instances when Geralt has the option to get busy with a lady or two (
the succubus, the elf I saved from the burning building
) he automatically turns them down without giving me the option to accept or deny. According to the online Prima guide I should be able to make the decision. Is it just me?

Thanks.

1. Use the Witcher 2 Save Manager. It makes deleting a bunch of saves super fast. Just make sure you know which ones you want to keep first.

2. Sounds like you've got a censored version. I know for sure that Australia had a few of the sex options removed, but there is a file you can add to your Witcher 2 directory to add those options back in, download that here.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
1. Use the Witcher 2 Save Manager. It makes deleting a bunch of saves super fast. Just make sure you know which ones you want to keep first.

2. Sounds like you've got a censored version. I know for sure that Australia had a few of the sex options removed, but there is a file you can add to your Witcher 2 directory to add those options back in, download that here.

Cheers, although the save game manager can't see my Witcher 2 save files.

Cheers, although the save game manager can't see my Witcher 2 save files.

That's odd. You sure you're running the Witcher 2 save game manager and no the Witcher 1 one? Both executables are included in the download.

Anyway, if that doesn't work your saves are located in C:\Users\Your Name\Documents\Witcher 2\gamesaves\

cj_iwakura

Is there a way to disable the game from appearing letterboxed, or am I stuck with that because I'm using a 4x3 monitor?

Here's my current settings, any optimization hints welcome:

1tSYX.jpg

RvRln.jpg

7yCWH.jpg

The video card is an upgrade, got it many years ago for F.E.A.R. Yeah.

If I can run it on this, what's the best optimization? If not, any recommendations on things worth buying to upgrade this, or is it a bottleneck scenario?

If I can run it on this, what's the best optimization? If not, any recommendations on things worth buying to upgrade this, or is it a bottleneck scenario?

I'm not really sure you'll be able to run it at an acceptable frame rate on that machine. I could be wrong though!

For some extra optimisation you can download the Witcher 2 Tweaker which exposes some more settings that you can turn off or down to your liking.

Good luck!

Top Bottom