• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: 1080p/30fps on PS4, 900p/30fps on Xbox One

STEaMkb

Witcher 3 lead programmer Balazs Torok on DX12:

“I think there is a lot of confusion around what and why DX12 will improve. Most games out there can’t go 1080p because the additional load on the shading units would be too much. For all these games DX12 is not going to change anything. They might be able to push more triangles to the GPU but they are not going to be able to shade them, which defeats the purpose."

DavidDesu

Hoping for a stable framerate. Sure 60fps is ALWAYS preferable but recent games like Infamous First Light and Driveclub especially have shown that a stable 30fps is absolutely fine. Driveclub doesn't skip a beat and it makes all the difference. I'm fine with this, and native resolution of my tv makes me very happy. The game does look intriguing to me, a next gen Skyrim is how I see it, so I am looking forward to jumping in.

The Google translation is fantastic: "The Witcher Adventure"
(TM)
! And CD Projekt RED are "screwing the Xbox version up to 1080p"!

iceatcs

With only one point of comparison it is hard to make a judgement. AA and AF will be worse on the console though. I hope that LOD and Draw Distance are being the main focus because the better they are the more immerssive it will be, having a slightly lower texture resolution or slightly worse shadows is worth the trade off if they can make the LOD and Draw Distance a bit better.

I would guess a mix of Medium / High, better than 900p at all high though, at-least in my opinion.

I agreed, for the open world. There will be million of textures, some may not good at highest setting. It worth the trade off if they can make the LOD and Draw Distance come first.

It depend to the art directors and graphic programmers' prefer.

Tigress

so its still a target then? Might be what that delay was, polish and bump to the Xbox Version. Either way its going to look great on both consoles

I'll admit it's selfish but I'd be sad if we are waiting for the Xbox version to get refined and every other version was ready. Selfish cause I plan on getting the ps4 version and if it's ready I want it and I feel if the hardware isn't good enough they are having trouble making it equal then don't and don't hold everyone else up for weaker hardware. I mean I feel that most people will get over it and enjoy it anyways (it's not that huge a difference). And yes, I realize I'm being selfish and Xbox owners probably appreciate they are taking the time to make it better for them (but if ours is ready can't they just release it and release a patch for Xbox?).

CozMick

Banned
So apart from resolution, textures and framerate is there anything else we know about the rest of the visuals?

If the dev achieves resolution parity will they use the 40% extra gpu headroom for improving the ps4 visuals or go for complete parity?

Mabufu

Banned
DX12 has not been released yet. You'll soon see the gap completely closed, don't worry about it.

Is this serious? Or is my sarcasm detector broken? : /

To add to that, I thought one of the key benfinits to DX12 was lower level access. Don't both the Xbox One and PS4 already benifit from that?

Yes, but XBOX is suposed to get more advantage of it since PS4 doesnt use DX.

I'll probably have to go Xbone first, PC later once it's on sale and I've upgraded.

Glad to see they're being so open about everything.

scitek

That's pretty impressive for the PS4, if its indeed running close to High PC settings. I wonder how close to 'High' the lighting/shadows will be.

I wonder if my machine will be able to hit 1440/60... >_>

It depends on how much they had to dial down the high settings to be able to say that.

Kezen

Banned
To add to that, I thought one of the key benfinits to DX12 was lower level access. Don't both the Xbox One and PS4 already benifit from that?

For that reason I believe PC gaming is going to benefit much more from DX12 than the Xbox One. It will allow developpers to, budget permitting, make the most of current high-end GPUs.

Mista

Banned
There are also games that run at 60fps on the Xbox one, so shouldn't this game?

CPR actually said why the game is going to be 30fps which we all understand. But not pushing the game to 1080p when the console is capable of is something we need a clarification on.

Dont get me wrong its just a damn question on why thats all.

Orayn

So apart from resolution, textures and framerate is there anything else we know about the rest of the visuals?

If the dev achieves resolution parity will they use the 40% extra gpu headroom for improving the ps4 visuals or go for complete parity?

What could extra GPU headroom go to? Everything else. Resolution of shadows. LoD distance. Quality of framebuffer effects. Quality of AA. Quality of AF. Quality of AO. There's a myriad of things you could spend those resources on. You'd think that anyone who's ever looked at the video options menu for a PC game would understand this but NOPE, we still have parity freakouts for nearly every Goddamn game.

CPR actually said why the game is going to be 30fps which we all understand. But not pushing the game to 1080p when the console is capable of is something we need a clarification on.

The console being capable for some games doesn't mean it can do it for all games and still produce the visuals the devs want. It could very well be that going to 1080p would mean sacrificing more effects than CDPR was comfortable giving up.

Einbroch

Banned
As long as the game is good and the framerate is solid, idgaf. Just gimme. Nice that they're not doing any parity bull, though.

R_Deckard

X1=900
PS4=1080
Both = 30fps.......

cup-of-water-tremble.gif

Idba

I still dont know whats the reason of not being 1080p of the X1 too

There's games that runs 1080p on the X1 which means its capable

well theres 1080p 60fps games on xbone too, so why isnt TW3 1080p 60fpx? #ResolutionGate

Even Chromecast can output at 1080p60fps! CDPR are a bunch of lazy twats

/s

probably the only article about it since games media will ignore and bury it and tell us how much this shouldn't matter at all unless we're within a metre in front of the screen.

CozMick

Banned
What could extra GPU headroom go to? Everything else. Resolution of shadows. LoD distance. Quality of framebuffer effects. Quality of AA. Quality of AO. There's a myriad of things you could spend those resources on. You'd think that anyone who's ever looked at the video options menu for a PC game would understand this but NOPE, we still have parity freakouts for nearly every Goddamn game.

The console being capable for some games doesn't mean it can do it for all games and still produce the visuals the devs want. It could very well be that going to 1080p would mean sacrificing more effects than CDPR was comfortable giving up.

Umm, I didn't ask what, I asked will they try to utilise each platofrm to its fullest or achieve parity?

I don't have a good understanding of the devs background.

Mista

Banned

Makes sense. Making it 900p without dropping stuff from the game better than making it 1080p with dropping.

Mabufu

Banned

Limited power problems. Trade-offs must be done.

Yes, you could push the game to 1080p, but the hardware is not powerfull enough to do it without compromising what can be other important aspects of the game. So it's not worth.

nib95

Banned
Yes, but XBOX is suposed to get more advantage of it since PS4 doesnt use DX.

True, but doesn't the PS4 already use an ultra low level access custom API? I believe it's referred to as the GNM API.

For that reason I believe PC gaming is going to benefit much more from DX12 than the Xbox One. It will allow developpers to, budget permitting, make the most of current high-end GPUs.

Absolutely, and that is definitely exciting. Just as it is to see how the Xbox One benifits from it. Personally I think PC GPU's have been underutilised, and things like Mantle, DX12 etc definitely seem to be making moves to try and improve on that. Just a shame that DX12 will be exclusive to Windows 10.

Nzyme32

So 1080p and High settings on PS4, so it looks just like the recent gameplay video, nice. Looks like I won't have to cancel my CE pre-order.

That isn't what they said if you read the article:

"Before we come to the weather, some technical details. We're playing The Witcher 3 on all three platforms, the PC, the PS4 and Xbox One. PC has an Intel Core i7-4790, the motherboard ASRock Z97, 8.0 GB of RAM, a GeForce GTX 980 with 4.0 GB of video memory and an SSD drive. So a high-end system for the The Witcher 3 with graphics settings "high" runs fluid.

On 'Ultra' we must not turn the other hand. The developers say the highest level will still be optimized, but should then run fine on the same system. The maximum system requirements would be so laid out some rough times, but more power is currently eh hardly, except for systems with SLI dual graphics card. But see The Witcher 3 on "high" excellent and presents itself on the PC - as expected - anti-aliased, stronger in color sharper textured and with more shaders and gloss effects than on the consoles. Waxed leather armor about not shine light on the PC, on the PS4 and Xbox, however. Moreover, "popping" ground details such as tufts of grass on the consoles just five to seven feet in front of Geralt, while the detailed visual range is easy on the PC twice"

Mista

Banned
well theres 1080p 60fps games on xbone too, so why isnt TW3 1080p 60fpx? #ResolutionGate

Here we go again...... Its just a damn question on why since CPR didnt mention!

God....

Limited power problems. Trade-offs must be done.

Yes, you could push the game to 1080p, but the hardware is not powerfull enough to do it without compromising what can be other important aspects of the game. So it's not worth.

Yeah if it will comes to sacrificing then indeed its not worth it

c0de

What? That's not how it works.

Top Bottom