• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: 1080p/30fps on PS4, 900p/30fps on Xbox One

Nzyme32

So to summarize:

PC high features

Better AA,
Better textures,
Better, higher quality shaders,
Twice the view distance/LOD setting

Than consoles.

Approximately, I doubt they had a chance to really look at everything. TechnoBuffalo also say

"On the PC side, things ran smooth as butter and everything was beautiful. The powerful PCs running the game allowed for better textures and effects all over the place. Scars have more depth, fires burn like you’d expect. If you have a PC, it’s definitely the place to play, whether you use the mouse and keyboard or your dual analog controller of choice."

which means there a few effects and things missing from whatever presets are being used.

The dubious part though is what specs will run all that, which is "high" presets. Apparently "Ultra" presets will run on the same spec hardware, but they wouldn't show it there. I have to wonder whether they can actually do it, and I hope it looks like the original trailer since that is kind of what I have my heart set on and intend to build a machine for

KKRT00

Using msaa hardware for other stuff like what? Genuinely asking here, I'm interested in knowing its other applications.

I dont have examples right now. One was from sebbbi [dev of Trials HD], second one was in one of the Tiago Souse'a tech presentation. There is tons of stuff that devs cant do right now, because APIs are somehow limiting them.
The advanced usage of features like Partially Resident Texture is another example i can think of right now.

Philippo

So for PS4 what does "slightly less sharp textures than the "high" setting on PC" means? That the whole settings are below high, or that they had to tone down only textures, while the rest is on high?

Endo Punk

Great. Parity is terrible for everyone. Both consoles win, XB1 is getting pushed hard to its limits and PS4 hardware superiority is not getting underutilized. The ps access QnA regardingg Witcher 3 makes me want to support the game and honestly I am tired of shooters so Bloodborne, MKX and Witcher 3 will be a breath of fresh air for me.

Journey

Banned
I previously heard the PS4 version was going to run at 900p, so this is fucking great news.

Great news if it doesn't affect performance. I much prefer an absolute locked 30fps than something that suffers at spots. We've seen this before on other games that pushed for 1080p last minute, hoping that this one is the exception, and I do trust CDPR.

Translation (minus Quest/Spoilers)

-breast physics
-USK 18 rating (W2 got 16). They think due to graphic finishing moves.
-260 designers worked on W3, compared to 5 in W2.
-Save game import for PC only.
-Can talk about important decisions from previous game with barber.
-Played W3 on all 3 platforms. PC: i7-4790, ASRock Z97, 8 GB RAM, GTX 980 4 GB and a SSD.
-Ultra setting still disabled. Not optimized yet. PC was set to high.
-PC has better shaders, textures, more colorful and better AA compared to consoleds.
-Grass and similar detail pops in ~5m on consoles. Double that on PC.
-PS4>X1. PS4 textures blurrier than PC high.
-PS4 runs at 1080p30
-XB1 runs at 900p30, slightly blurrier than PS4.
-Still looks great on any platform.
-German localisation fine, but English has better characterisation
-Population doesn't react to theft at all (yet)
-Impressivly realistic weather effects, especially storms.
-gamepad controls only for now. M+K controls unfinished.
-special modus like batman
-under water controls needs getting used to, with janky camera.
-Oponent AI sometimes blacks out.
-Fluid combat animations.
-Counter-timing is important.
-meditation heals Geralt.
-4 talent trees: Combat, Signs, Alchemy and General.
-Igni can be upgraded to damage armor
-Alternative mode upgrade for every sign,
- e.g. all around shockwave for Agni, Ffame beam for Igni, Thought control for Axi.
- Time slow upgrade for Alchemy
- HP upgrade or faster healing under General
- Limited slots for selected talents, including passives. From 3 to 12. Can mutate 3 of those.
- Time limits for decision making (e.g 10 seconds to decide to take gold or not).
Conclusion:
- Thanks CD Project for delay to polish the game (e.g diving controls and AI)
- Game feels gigantic
- cobat system still a bit imprecise, "witcher view" worn thin.
- Game world looks like a game world should. Satisfactory enough for me.

Hydrargyrus

PS4: 1080p, 30fps, minimally sharper textures than XB1, slightly less sharp textures than the "high" setting on PC
XB1: 900p, 30fps, still being worked on

They have stoped working on the PS4 version?
I hope they continue improving the PS4 version too...

Nzyme32

That's where the biggest difference will be between PC and consoles, draw distance, popin, shaders, aa and af. 1080/30 is solid enough, but if its full of popin then blergh.

Well they say themselves that they had no problem with 30fps and that at tv viewing distances, the textures are blurier on the PS4 compared to PC but not significantly so. Further to all that though, pop-in acceptance for me is dependant on how severe they do it. If it fades in gracefully with good LOD, and isn't so noticeable, it is far more preferable than just outright popping in. Wait for actual PS4 / Xbox One footage and make up your mind

Good to hear it is 1080p on PS4. That was my only worry when it comes to the visuals. Popup and other stuff is expected unfortunatley. It was pretty evident on W2 as well. Still the game is looking beautiful. More impressive than DA:I which already looks very good.

Texar

Banned
Lemme predict the DF analysis.

"While the PS4 version boasts a resolution advantage of 633k more pixels onscreen with its 1080p resolution vs. 900p on the Xbox One, our analysis shows that framerates drop to 29fps at times on the inventory screen where on the Xbox One they remain at a steady 30fps. In summation, if you are looking for a higher resolution go with the PS4 version. If framerate stability is important to you, the Xbox One version is what you want. Either way, you can't go wrong with either version of this game."

Holy crap is that you Richard Leadbetter? scarily accurate

Idba

Whats the reason then?!

Theyre not the fucking same game or fucking engine!! Nor the same fucking people making the games! Youre seriusly fucking comparing TW3 with sports games, minecraft and the few other 1080p games on xbox one? The Witcher 3 is better looking currently than all the other xbox one games.

Not even fucking trials fusion is 1080p 60fps, that should say something

Also, fucking fucking fucking. Damn that felt good

Translation (minus Quest/Spoilers)

-breast physics

9PZkGiX.gif

mocoworm

The question is, will there be a performance hit in other areas on PS4 due to pushing 1080p. There have been other games that have performed better on XONE in this way.

I'd wait for the reviews to see which is the better performing version overall before buying.

We don't pre-order anyway these days do we, right?

Journey

Banned
Lemme predict the DF analysis.

"While the PS4 version boasts a resolution advantage of 633k more pixels onscreen with its 1080p resolution vs. 900p on the Xbox One, our analysis shows that framerates drop to 29fps at times on the inventory screen where on the Xbox One they remain at a steady 30fps. In summation, if you are looking for a higher resolution go with the PS4 version. If framerate stability is important to you, the Xbox One version is what you want. Either way, you can't go wrong with either version of this game."

LOL!

longdi

Banned
Sounds like the game is very unfinished to be originally launching next month.

Thankfully for our insider for giving CDP a wakeup call.

And fuck parity, yay! Gamers ftw!

Nzyme32

The question is, will there be a performance hit in other areas on PS4 due to pushing 1080p. There have been other games that have performed better on XONE in this way.

I'd wait for the reviews to see which is the better performing version overall before buying.

We don't pre-order anyway these days do we, right?

Well yeah, they have only played a small section, so there is no real telling of the performance other than in that section. All that can be taken from this is initial impressions / notable differences between the platforms thus far

jblank83

That's pretty impressive for the PS4, if its indeed running close to High PC settings. I wonder how close to 'High' the lighting/shadows will be.

They only specifically mention textures, so it remains to be seen if lighting/shadows/particles/draw distance/other features are similar to "High" setting on PC.

Kolgar

Glad they're pushing both platforms. That said, 900p on X1 doesn't scare me away at all unless the graphics are cut back in other significant ways as well.

Well there it is. Getting it on PS4 then. (Really thought they'd both be 900p, so this is good news)

Doubling dipping on PC when they make a card that can do it in 4K.
Not sure ho much footage you've seen, but I'm fairly confident you could max his game at 4k with at least 30fps with 1 980

Gaz_RB

I wonder if there are going be any performance issues on PS4 for going for the higher resolution, as we've seen before.

teiresias

Hmmm, I may wait until I can afford a second GTX 980 for SLI before I dive in on this game, looks like the PS4 version will be nice though.

R_Deckard

Well they say themselves that they had no problem with 30fps and that at tv viewing distances, the textures are blurier on the PS4 compared to PC but not significantly so. Further to all that though, pop-in acceptance for me is dependant on how severe they do it. If it fades in gracefully with good LOD, and isn't so noticeable, it is far more preferable than just outright popping in. Wait for actual PS4 / Xbox One footage and make up your mind

Textures on PS4 being 'Blurier' could be most likely down to the FXAA or whatever AA solution they are using.

Expect Tessellation on objects/ground to be less, LOD shorter and less particles or life of, but this is on i7/980 machine which cannot run Ultra yet.

A few months to go lets just see which way it all goes and falls/ most likely side by side looking they will look near the same (yes even the dirty sub 1080 X1 version)

Top Bottom