• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Brief Intervew Excerpts feat. Tales from OP's Arse

cripterion

Man. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that the PlayStation 4 was some supercomputer of limitless possibilities reading some of the comments in this thread.

And now because a little co-publishing deals going on with MS/CDPR, certain folk want to act as if CDPR has suddenly become the worst dev in the world.

The game is going to be fantastic on PC, XB1, and PS4.

attachment.php

"
How will CD Projek be taking advantage of the PS4′s unified GDDR5 memory architecture and whether they will be developing specific graphical features which they might have found to be possible only on the PS4?"

They won't.
"

LOL, scared for pc port now :(.

The PC version is a port now? This thread delivers.

Zarx

So does this mean that CDP will cease optimization for the PS4 once they reach a certain degree of graphical parity between the two consoles?

Not at all. It does mean they won't be creating any specific PS4 exclusive effects. But honestly that isn't a surprise.

d9b

Banned
Not at all. It does mean they won't be creating any specific PS4 exclusive effects. But honestly that isn't a surprise.
Why not take advantage of PS4 hardware to the full extent? As an example, Kojima did it with Zeroes (as pointed out in this thread / dynamic sky conditions)... If there is a room to maneuver (and only if) why not add extra effects?

patapuf

Why not take advantage of PS4 hardware to the full extent? As an example, Kojima did it with Zeroes (as pointed out in this thread / dynamic sky conditions)... If there is a room to maneuver (and only if) why not add extra effects?

The consoles are so similar in Terms of architecture, they have the same processor, the same gpu-family ect.

The difference between the two is horse power, not capability to render effects.

Considering CDPR comes from PC it's also very unlikely they'll ever developp something for OpenGL that they didn't also for DirectX.

That doesn't mean the PS4 version won't look or run better.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Expecting The Witcher 3 to be an over-hyped disaster anyway, and all the weird "politics" the makers have gotten into over the past year has made them look more clueless and a little arrogant to boot.

CD Projekt feels like a group thats netted great graphical and writing talent, but fucking abysmal game designers.

patapuf

Expecting The Witcher 3 to be an over-hyped disaster anyway, and all the weird "politics" the makers have gotten into over the past year has made them look more clueless and a little arrogant to boot.

CD Projekt feels like a group thats netted great graphical and writing talent, but fucking abysmal game designers.

have you actually played their games ?

and what politics are wierd? They just do co-marketing with Microsoft. It's not exactly rare.

Where are you getting this from?

NBtoaster

The console versions are getting effects handed down from the pc version. There is no reason to make exclusive effects for the middle ground.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
have you actually played their games ?.

Yes. The Witcher 2 is a game you have to excuse of its crap gameplay to enjoy its great story and characters and locations. Everything else from item menus and in-game maps even were frustrating in unique ways. Nothing about the "game" part of TW2 endeared itself to me. I normally hate the term 'euro-jank', but this game was the personification.

On the politics thing, they came out saying the "resolution differences werent meaningful", they didnt see any major power difference between Xbone and PS4, and even that PS4 was “a little more complicated”. Eyebrow raising stuff which I cant place whether its due to the joint marketing money, or just general misplaced allegiances.

KKRT00

On the politics thing, they came out saying the "resolution differences werent meaningful",
They arent if You have 4k stand next to them.
they didnt see any major power difference between Xbone and PS4,
There isnt major power difference in comparison to high end PCs they are developing game first and foremost.
What is 30-40% next to 400% and more?

and even that PS4 was “a little more complicated”.
Yes it is compared to DX 11 pipeline.

Eyebrow raising stuff which I cant place whether its due to the joint marketing money, or just general misplaced allegiances.
Its only eyebrow raising when You do not understand the context and looking through fanboy glasses instead of pure logic.

Daedardus

Yeah, I wouldn't expect much from a developer who still has the obsolete CD in its name and who can't even spell project right.

No, but seriously, is this one big parody thread?

I just read through some of the comments on this thread and I have to say this is one of the biggest collection of clueless feckers out there. Most of you have no clue about hardware. There are some who expect pc specific features like hair simulation to run on console. If you added that to consoles you would cut your framerate in HALF then add TXAA on top of that and congratulations you are playing the game at about 2 frames per second.

Sentenza

On the politics thing, they came out saying the "resolution differences werent meaningful", they didnt see any major power difference between Xbone and PS4, and even that PS4 was “a little more complicated”. Eyebrow raising stuff which I cant place whether its due to the joint marketing money, or just general misplaced allegiances.
This reads more or less "I'm very mad at them because they apparently aren't cheering for MY favorite console".

Yes. The Witcher 2 is a game you have to excuse of its crap gameplay to enjoy its great story and characters and locations. Everything else from item menus and in-game maps even were frustrating in unique ways. Nothing about the "game" part of TW2 endeared itself to me. I normally hate the term 'euro-jank', but this game was the personification.

Just in case you need clarification, that was a producer who said those things about console differences and not a developer, on the Giant Bomb E3 Day 1 podcast which I transcribed here:

2:32:48
Alex Navarro: As a developer that is, you know, thinks PC first, how comfortable are you guys with the new hardware?

John Mamais: I don't want to piss off any of our partners but it's easier to develop for Xbox but some of the tools on PS4 are kind of difficult to use apparently. I'm not sitting there developing it, other guys are, just heard stories about it. It's kinda like trial-and-error on the PS4. Xbox is DX11, it's based on DX11.

Jeff Gerstmann: So a lot of stuff you're already used to.

John Mamais: Yeah, it's easier for us.

Will this "secret power" stuff about Playstation consoles ever stop? I think this gen it's been the easiest to understand what the hardware is capable of comparison-wise.

Despera

Banned
So now that we understand what CDPR meant by special effects, the game will still look good on the Xbone, look better on the PS4 and look eye-meltingly amazing on PC?

Gotcha.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
So CDPR isn't doing any console specific features to improve the game between either of them, is that something to be taken into account?

Because the game will by default run better on a PS4 just because of pure specs, without any additional/specific feature enabled or secret sauce.

Sentenza

I was not talking about you, I was alluding to the poster you quoted.
Oh, ok. Posted like that, it sounded like you were implying I was cheering for Xbox on the opposite side of the petty "console war". Because no, that's definitely not the case.

I don't care for the XB1, I don't even want one. I just find hilarious that people seem to think that the only acceptable reaction from a developer should be to hammer the performance gap at any given chance and overstate the power of a PS4 to make them feel better with their purchase.

Pie and Beans

Oh, ok. Posted like that, it sounded like you were implying I was cheering for Xbox on the opposite side of the petty "console war". Because no, that's definitely not the case.

I don't care for the XB1, I don't even want one. I just find hilarious that people seem to think that the only acceptable reaction from a developer should be to hammer the performance gap at any given chance and overstate the power of a PS4 to make them feel better with their purchase.

Not asking them to hammer it, but its a little bit counter intuitive to say "resolution doesnt matter" and so on and then in turn try and sell the 4K PC wunderkind version with the same face on. Getcha "you are like unnoticeable ants to me, console gamers!!" villain bluster quotes ready for the follow up 'master race' spiel.

It all just translates to "we're doing the bare minimum for the console port", and forgive me if as a consumer that would be targeting that version (if the combat is radically different from the previous shite mind you!) it doesn't get me pumped up. Could all be lip service mind and DF will show the gap, but this being their first real tango with Playstation dev could be equally a problem. Hope they got some good staff adds for it.

KKRT00

Not asking them to hammer it, but its a little bit counter intuitive to say "resolution doesnt matter"

They have never said that. Even in Your earlier post You wrote it in completely different way, that difference between 900p and 1080p is not as meaningful. Which is completely true, when You compare it to 4k or even 1440p.
It all just translates to "we're doing the bare minimum for the console port".
No, it doesnt translate to that. The only problem is that You cant understand simple sentences in their simple context.

Pie and Beans

They have never said that. Even in Your earlier post You wrote it in completely different way, that difference between 900p and 1080p is not as meaningful. Which is completely true, when You compare it to 4k or even 1440p.

No, it doesnt translated. The only problem is that You cant understand simple sentences in their simple context.

Forgive me a little paraphrasing, but their co-founder did offer this jewel earlier in the year:
“We are still working on squeezing the juice out of the consoles and Microsoft are supporting us in this respect. The final effect, whether it’s 720p, 1080p – we had the debate in the studio about it and actually asked our tech guys to explain how it works, and they sent me some complicated graphs that ‘if I have this size of the screen, and I sit one meter or two meters from it, then I might be able to see the difference’.

“It’s more of a PR differentiation, which is very important for Sony right now – and they are using it, obviously – than something that is really meaningful to gamers.

That was the main earthquake of "errrrrrrrr?", and everything after it has been far smaller aftershocks, but its still a fair bit of questionable guff.

Gattsu25

Banned
What a ludicrous statement. Of course 900p to 1080p is a lower jump than 1080p to 1440p..but who claimed that?

The claim was that you need to sit a meter or 2 away from your screen to even maybe begin to see the difference between 720p and 1080p which is flat out bullshit:
"We are still working on squeezing the juice out of the consoles and Microsoft are supporting us in this respect," Iwinski told me. "The final effect, whether it's 720p, 1080p - we had the debate in the studio about it and actually asked our tech guys to explain how it works, and they sent me some complicated graphs that 'if I have this size of the screen, and I sit one meter or two meters from it, then I might be able to see the difference'.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-13-the-witcher-3-may-run-better-on-ps4-than-xbox-one

GDDR5 is PS4s version of "Powered by the cloud".

I see you're banned, but if you're reading this you're wrong. How do you manage to compare easy to use, fast memory in every console to a theoretical, unproven promise of cloud compute dependent on infrastructure, online connection, and developer support?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I thought for sure there would be no parity this gen, it's too substantial a gap. I'm an Xb1/PC
gamer at the moment, and I have no problem with seeing PS4 running a better version. It's a fact that the hardware is stronger. I am surprised that CD is the culprit this time. Even though this doesn't change my view of them. They're saints and I love them.

I can't say that I'm upset, I'll be playing this my brand new PC.

Lulubop

I thought for sure there would be no parity this gen, it's too substantial a gap. I'm an Xb1/PC
gamer at the moment, and I have no problem with seeing PS4 running a better version. It's a fact that the hardware is stronger. I am surprised that CD is the culprit this time. Even though this doesn't change my view of them. They're saints and I love them.

smh, 10 pages in and still getting shit like this.

Sentenza

But the PS4 *will* run a better version compared to the XBOX1.
It will have a better resolution, for a start. Maybe even a more stable framerate, who knows.
What people are outraged about is the developers downplaying this difference in ther "PR" instead of belittling and mocking the XB1 version, apparently.

And of course, please notice how that's the only outrageous part for them.
The fact that they are hardly mention PC-exclusive features to not piss console gamers, on the other hand, is common practice in the industry and doesn't seem bother them at all, even if we are speaking about a far more noticeable gap.
Because who cares about PCs, right? It's all about winning that console war.

KKRT00

Forgive me a little paraphrasing, but their co-founder did offer this jewel earlier in the year:

What a ludicrous statement. Of course 900p to 1080p is a lower jump than 1080p to 1440p..but who claimed that?

The claim was that you need to sit a meter or 2 away from your screen to even maybe begin to see the difference between 720p and 1080p which is flat out bullshit:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-13-the-witcher-3-may-run-better-on-ps4-than-xbox-one
Generally its true, it depends of the tv screen size and the view distance and of course You'll losing detail visibility in progress, but generally its true.
Although i would not say 2 meters, more like if You have two screens 32' displaying same content in 720p and 1080p then after 3 meters the clarity advantage of higher resolution is getting lost, because You are not able to spot detail in the same ratio as in closer distance.
But yeah, it was PR statement by PR guy, not tech developer.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
smh, 10 pages in and still getting shit like this.

Just popped in, thanks for the punch in the face.

But the PS4 *will* run a better version compared to the XBOX1.
It will have a better resolution, for a start. Maybe even a more stable framerate, who knows.
What people are outraged about is the developers downplaying this difference in ther "PR" instead of belittling and mocking the XB1 version, apparently.

The fact that they are hardly mention PC-exclusive features to not piss console gamers, on the other hand, is common practice in the industry and doesn't seem bother them at all, even if we are speaking about a far more noticeable gap.
Because who cares about PCs, right? It's all about winning that console war.

Oh, I understand now. Thanks for the explanation.

Kezen

Banned

This is absolutely true. The gap between the PS4 and PC version at ultra settings will be much greater than between the two console skus.

I can't wait to learn more about the ultra specs.

Jsheldon

With the consoles over a year into their life cycle when this releases I think this game will be a great benchmark for console parity and whether there's any chance of it on next gen systems. It seems a foregone conclusion that XBONE will be 720 or 900p, but with MS trying to build a relationship with the dev.... Could 1080 be a possibility?

I for one can't wait to find out.

ced

CDPR has always been favorable to MS, I even recall in a recent interview the lead stating the XB1 is his favorite console.

Whether this has anything to do with the PS4 version who knows, I have the feeling they will be the same setting wise with a higher resolution and framerate on the PS4.

It doesn't mean they intentionally gimped the PS4 version.

Sentenza

I even recall in a recent interview the lead stating the XB1 is his favorite console.
Who? The only one I remember stating XB1 is his favorite console was their community manager, Marcin Momot. And that was posting on their forum, not in an interview, since he doesn't do these.
it should be almost unnecessary to stress that a community manager isn't related to development anyway.

Aren't you mixing things in your memory, by any chance?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
These statements from CDPR always strike me as odd since they have already confirmed a 900/1080 split between the consoles. They've openly said that there will be benefits on PS4, I don't get why they seem to want to pretend they aren't doing anything with the extra hardware.

Top Bottom