• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Brief Intervew Excerpts feat. Tales from OP's Arse

Pretty obvious moneyhat here. CD Projekt Red is full of shit. I have no reason to support these guys now especially with everything else coming out around The Witcher 3's release date. Will wait until The Witcher 3 hits bargain bin. Or better yet, will play used.
981.gif

Kezen

Banned
Pretty obvious moneyhat here. CD Projekt Red is full of shit. I have no reason to support these guys now especially with everything else coming out around The Witcher 3's release date. Will wait until The Witcher 3 hits bargain bin. Or better yet, will play used.

Jesus.

It looked like one, mostly cause of the sheer absurdity of your argument.
It's not like I'm the only one who thought this, either.

sheer absurdity? if the hardware supports custom graphical solutions that a studio will be using on another system, i don't see why they wouldn't implement it just because of parity. as i've said, the custom gpgpu and better hardware of ps4 can support more than just a higher resolution. anyone would be silly to think the the advantage of a gddr5 over ddr3 setup is a higher resolution and a couple of fps, not to mention the other hardware on the ps4 which are better.

erawsd

That would be understandable if CD didn't act like they were the angels of the industry, "we put gamers first....blah blah blah....no DRM on our games" "no exclusive content". Just be honest about being paid, releasing bullshit statements will always turn gamers against them. Its like MS's disastrous PR was passed to them. Ugh.

They aren't acting like they are angels, it's a reputation they earned.

Show me another a AAA dev that is giving fans a 20% discount just for owning previous games in a series? What other AAA dev is making a 100 hour game without begging you to buy DLC and micro transactions? They supported W2 with free DLC long after release and never asked for a dime. They're giving you as much free extras in a regular edition as you get in special editions of other games.

So yea, when they say they put the gamer first, there are plenty of reasons to believe it.

Man. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that the PlayStation 4 was some supercomputer of limitless possibilities reading some of the comments in this thread.

And now because a little co-publishing deals going on with MS/CDPR, certain folk want to act as if CDPR has suddenly become the worst dev in the world.

The game is going to be fantastic on PC, XB1, and PS4.

Sentenza

sheer absurdity? if the hardware supports custom graphical solutions that a studio will be using on another system, i don't see why they wouldn't implement it just because of parity. as i've said, the custom gpgpu and better hardware of ps4 can support more than just a higher resolution. anyone would be silly to think the the advantage of a gddr5 over ddr3 setup is a higher resolution and a couple of fps, not to mention the other hardware on the ps4 which are better.
Are you even remotely aware of what you are talking about? Because it doesn't sound like that's the case and you are massively overstating the difference in power between PS4 and XB1.

Some of these Nvidia PhysX feature announced for PC are rumored to be taxing enough to make a GTX780 sweat blood, a GPU that by itself almost triples a PS4 in computational power...
And you are requesting, if not even demanding, to put those very same extra features on a PS4 just because in your dreams is some super-impressive hardware that should run circles around everything else, probably thank to Naught Gods and magic optimization.

Vestax

Banned
every piece of pr is really disappointing if you plan to buy this game on the ps4, this game went from day zero purchase to waiting for "DF face off/technical analysis" purchase before making my mind

QUOTE]

I had actually just started looking at this title as a possible must-buy for me on the PS4, now it's back to my "maybe". I'm not a fan of politically-inclined PR, specially when it's not supposed to be related to Politics.

For stuff like this, I'll wait for the it to show up in the clearance or used section.

every piece of pr is really disappointing if you plan to buy this game on the ps4, this game went from day zero purchase to waiting for "DF face off/technical analysis" purchase before making my mind

If the little Xbox related tidbits of marketing and pr for the Witcher 3 is enough to discourage Sony buyers, Destiny might as well not even launch on the Microsoft console at this point. Now carefully worded PR from a multiplatform developer is a betrayal. CD Projekt Red is now an untrustworthy dev.

Phreak47

I'd like to make a big slope out of the outrage-to-actual impact ratio in this thread, and then ski down it. Because that would be epic.

Hypron

If the little Xbox related tidbits of marketing and pr for the Witcher 3 is enough to discourage Sony buyers, Destiny might as well not even launch on the Microsoft console at this point. Now carefully worded PR from a multiplatform developer is a betrayal. CD Projekt Red is now an untrustworthy dev.

Yeah what the hell is going on in this thread. Those overreactions are just crazy.

I honestly think they just should have stuck with PC and then done a port a while later like they did with witcher 2.

Why do that? What would that change about the current situation?

Uh, ok.

JohnGrimm

'Special graphical features'? What kind of 'special features' are you hoping to get when both of these consoles run an AMD chip, when AMD doesn't have anything special to spice up the game anyways?

It honestly sounds like a translation error.

Hey brother, don't blame CDPR. Blame Sony, they are the ones who can't afford to pay developers to max out the PS4 architecture whereas MS can afford to make sure developers don't.

Sony needs to pull up their bootstraps.

i dont feel is a betrayal because is their first game on a sony console so i perfectly understood when they never talked big time differences and shit with the xbox. but when they always decide to give some info on the game they always come with this wishy-washy pr BS.

so excuse me if i dont feel that confident or the positivism and praises that sugar coated this devs dont convince me as a customer 100% like i was at the beginning. since i buy digital i have to make sure and feel completely sure when i purchase my games. period.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
"
How will CD Projek be taking advantage of the PS4′s unified GDDR5 memory architecture and whether they will be developing specific graphical features which they might have found to be possible only on the PS4?"

They won't.
"

LOL, scared for pc port now :(.

hemtae

"
How will CD Projek be taking advantage of the PS4′s unified GDDR5 memory architecture and whether they will be developing specific graphical features which they might have found to be possible only on the PS4?"

They won't.
"

As long as mod support is still in there's nothing to worry about.

"

They won't.
"

You must have not seen the huge list of PC exclusive graphical features.

Sentenza

i dont feel is a betrayal because is their first game on a sony console so i perfectly understood when they never talked big time differences and shit with the xbox. but when they always decide to give some info on the game they always come with this wishy-washy pr BS.
And with this you mean they aren't shitting on the weakest of those platforms like fans of the other one would like.

Lingitiz

"

They won't.
"

PC version is lead platform, so it's not a port.

As a PS4 user the way I look at this is if they are going to max out the Xbox One then the PS4 will be able to handle everything it can throw at it and more.

Vilifier

Neo Member
What a pointless article, they cherry pick a quote then make wild speculation. Even if they are not adding special features for either console version, there is nothing that indicates the developer will not optimise the game for each console.

These click bait articles are getting out of control, and the worse thing is that lots of them demonize developers, who already have a tough enough job creating AAA titles with long development times that we will want to play.

Tigress

You know, maybe I'd be a little disappointed if the PS4 version isn't as good as it could be. And I will admit if this became a trend it would be worrisome (but has it ever really? I know people kept worrying about that with the PS3/xbox 360 and it seems xbox 360 still got the better games due to easier development. Developers in general didn't try for parity then either).

But you know what? It's nowhere near a big enough issue for me to get upset by especially to the point of going, "I'm not buying it". It's not even like it would be a huge difference really (well at least for me who doesn't care as much about resolution or FPS long as they are decent). There are far far far worse things a developer could be doing. Things that CD Projekt Red so far have avoided.

Are there any other publishers that have been as good as Projekt Red towards gamers? It seems most publishers at best are considered neutral rather than outright trying to be "good guys". They have done a lot of good. Hell, the only reason I can play Fallout 1 and 2 on my Mac, which is too new to play the original 1+2 (apple doesn't support the architecture they were written on anymore with the new OS's) is GoG made an effort to get them to work on newer macs. I love them just for that! It can't have made them that much money to do that for people (Mac users are a minority and worse most gamers don't really use macs. So I am ecstatic they put the effort for the few of us Mac users out there this affected).

In the end, they do have to make money, they are more used to MS stuff (this is the first time they've worked on a Playstation), and I'll even say they're focusing on things I find more important, like trying to see if I can transfer my save game from my xbox 360 to the PS4 so I can start off Witcher 3 with how I played Witcher 2 (I have my doubts they can do it but I really appreciate that apparently they are at least looking into it. Personally I'd be happy if they just gave me a question part at the beginning asking about my major decisions in Witcher 2 to decide how to start 3).

In the scale of evil/bad/scummy things they could be doing, this really is minimal. And it kinda does feel that some people just want something to hold over the xbox one. Which, well, sorry, but it's not that huge a deal (and this is from some one who will fully admit she's biased Playstation and is not a fan of MS).

I'll buy it and I'll be happy they put the effort in to at least see if they could get save files transferred from a completely different machine to my PS4. So it's not like they aren't doing things for PS4 players. They could have easily just not even tried to get save files to transfer across and just said it sux but that's the way it has to be (which they might have to say anyways but at least they tried).

Every time someone mentions CDPR history "pushing hardware" makes me think that they never played one of their games. These were beautiful games because of the art.

Good art and good tech aren't mutually exclusive. If you can look at W2 and tell me that it's just the art and not the tech is the reason it looks I'd be surprised. The art and tech are great BECAUSE of each other, not in spite of.

Good art and good tech aren't mutually exclusive. If you can look at W2 and tell me that it's just the art and not the tech is be very surprised. The art and tech are great BECAUSE of each other, not in spite of.

But the engine itself wasn't pushing things in terms of lighting or shaders compared to other games made by developers know for it. W2 has great textures and models, yes, and the DOF was only second best to Crysis 2 in 2011, but until W3, and maybe because of the partnership with nvidia, they never boasted of pushing graphics, despite how good the second game looked.

But the engine itself wasn't pushing things in terms of lighting or shaders compared to other games made by developers know for it. W2 has great textures and models, yes, and the DOF was only second best to Crysis 2 in 2011, but until W3, and maybe because of the partnership with nvidia, they never boasted of pushing graphics, despite how good the second game looked.

You kind of made my argument for me as the why Art and Tech go hand in hand.

I'm not disagreeing with you though in thinking that the art is really what helps it look so damn good.

RedSwirl

Motherfucking console wars man. Do people gotta justify that $400 THAT bad?

It is not enough for me to win, my enemies must lose.

What "special graphical features" are you even expecting for the PS4? Better yet, when have developers of multipltaform games in the past done this? When have there ever been differences beyond maybe resolution, framerate, textures, and anti-aliasing? Those are probably the differences you're going to see for the console versions of The Witcher 3. We already know the PS4 version is confirmed 1080p and the Xbox One version may or may not be 1080p. The only "special graphical features" I know of are the Nvidoa Physx features that will almost certainly be exclusive to PCs running Nvidia graphics cards.

Has any developer thus far even used the PS4's GDDR5 RAM for anything special?

Seventy5

I'm getting this on PS4 with no doubt at all. It looks amazing. If it looks and plays great on PS4, why should it matter if its the same on Xbone? My favorite games so far this gen are Resogun, Rogue Legacy and Infamous. Two of those could have easily run just as well on Xbone, does that make them lesser games? Fuck spending extra time adding "speshul graffix" just because you can. Make the best game you can and then give it to me.

Also, do we really think developers would risk their reputation and credibility to gimp PS4 versions of games for money from MS? PS4 is well ahead, it would be against their best interest.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think devs want both consoles to look and play the same. So when they get the Xbone to look like the Ps4 version, I don't think they are going to go back and push the Ps4 to its max..

Why? They're not competing against their own game, they're competing against other games on the same platform. If people come to expect a certain visual quality from PS4 games (which is generally higher than that of XBO games), your game might look a bit worse in comparison if you hold the PS4 version back for parity. Now, I certainly don't expect TW3 to look bad on any platform, but I don't see how not making the most of the PS4 version benefits anyone except MS.

I'm getting this on PS4 with no doubt at all. It looks amazing. If it looks and plays great on PS4, why should it matter if its the same on Xbone? My favorite games so far this gen are Resogun, Rogue Legacy and Infamous. Two of those could have easily run just as well on Xbone, does that make them lesser games? Fuck spending extra time adding "speshul graffix" just because you can. Make the best game you can and then give it to me.

Also, do we really think developers would risk their reputation and credibility to gimp PS4 versions of games for money from MS? PS4 is well ahead, it would be against their best interest.

It's good to see posts like this from time to time. Makes me have hope from the future.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
'Special graphical features'? What kind of 'special features' are you hoping to get when both of these consoles run an AMD chip, when AMD doesn't have anything special to spice up the game anyways?

It honestly sounds like a translation error.

Pretty much: there is nothing the PS4 can do that the X1 can't. In some cases an effect may be less pronounced/refined on the X1 or absent entirely in favour of a more stable framerate, but neither means the PS4 has "special graphical features". There's no controversy to be found here whatsoever.

Sentenza

What "special graphical features" are you even expecting for the PS4? Better yet, when have developers of multipltaform games in the past done this? When have there ever been differences beyond maybe resolution, framerate, textures, and anti-aliasing?
What's even more relevant is how the whole whine against this "PR bullshit" is hilariously naive and misguided.
Even when the difference in performances was evident, you never ha a developer screaming it loudly. It's always been common practice to downplay it.
We had for years developers talking about their multiplatforms and claiming that the PC version and the console version were "essentially the same" and I can't say I remember a lot of public outrage about it, even when it was a blatant lie.

Now it's happening between consoles on a much smaller scale and people are losing their shit about it, crying with disgust and outrage because you don't have the developer mocking the inferior platform in the process.
I'm not sure what kind of statement they expected. "Oh, the XB1 one? Pfff, what a piece of shit in comparison! Hahaha!"

Can someone point me, say, the old interview with Platinum where they stated openly how the PS3 version of the game was going to suck so badly?
Because I didn't follow the development but I'm confident that never happened.

Guess this is what happens when a PC developer decides to release their new game for consoles for the first time. They have to deal with petty console war bullshit like this thread.

Top Bottom