• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Brief Intervew Excerpts feat. Tales from OP's Arse

Durante

These statements from CDPR always strike me as odd since they have already confirmed a 900/1080 split between the consoles. They've openly said that there will be benefits on PS4, I don't get why they seem to want to pretend they aren't doing anything with the extra hardware.
They aren't pretending anything. They are merely stating facts.
That people don't understand that there are no "specific graphical features possible only on the PS4" is not CDPR's fault.

Quotient

These statements from CDPR always strike me as odd since they have already confirmed a 900/1080 split between the consoles. They've openly said that there will be benefits on PS4, I don't get why they seem to want to pretend they aren't doing anything with the extra hardware.

I think they are trying to appease microsoft but not making the difference between the 2 consoles seem as large as they are.

Zarx

Why not take advantage of PS4 hardware to the full extent? As an example, Kojima did it with Zeroes (as pointed out in this thread / dynamic sky conditions)... If there is a room to maneuver (and only if) why not add extra effects?

Because there are other ways of taking advantage of the relatively small power difference (higher fidelity and frame rate being the obvious choices) than adding new effects that may change the visual design. As for Ground Zeroes that is more a case of them messing up the XBOne port than anything, tho it actually has a more aggressive motion blur that is missing from the PS4 version. There is no reason the XBOne couldn't handle the dynamic sky effect, the game operates at a perfectly locked 60FPS at all times so there was performance room for them to add the effects if they wanted and the reason they are missing is most likely the platform being a low priority for them rather than the difference in performance of the consoles.

The Witcher 3 has fully dynamic weather and procedural clouds on all platforms already.

EGM1966

I think they are trying to appease microsoft but not making the difference between the 2 consoles seem as large as they are.

That's definitely part of it. They clearly decided to hitch their promotional efforts to MS and have got caught somewhat in the swing from MS to Sony in most regions since launch of the new consoles.

I'm pretty sympathetic in their case as they seem to be trying to tiptoe carefully:

• they don't want to say anything that could be seen to knock XB1 or MS (understandably)
  • they need to offer MS something for the extra promotion, being on their stage, etc.but they don't want to stray from their stated goals on game content so they've agreed some physical goodies
  • they don't want to annoy Sony or PS4 owners as they know that with the install base difference they might sell more on PS4 than XB1 despite their MS PR link so they're being careful not to big up XB1 or MS and sound as neutral as possible and as positive as possible about PS4 version

It's a tough public stance to take and they're clearly going to wobble here and there but really, next to the all the timed DLC and the like so far as I'm concerned they've done little or indeed anything much wrong.

They're a good developer with a history or respecting and looking after their customers and I'm sure all versions of Witcher 3 will be worth playing.

Now Square Enix on the other hand...

ced

Who? The only one I remember stating XB1 is his favorite console was their community manager, Marcin Momot. And that was posting on their forum, not in an interview, since he doesn't do these.
it should be almost unnecessary to stress that a community manager isn't related to development anyway.

Aren't you mixing things in your memory, by any chance?

It's very possible, I read it in what I thought was an interview in a thread here, I'll try to find it.

Actually I'll never find it, if the community manager stated it then that's most likely what it was.

Pretty obvious moneyhat here. CD Projekt Red is full of shit. I have no reason to support these guys now especially with everything else coming out around The Witcher 3's release date. Will wait until The Witcher 3 hits bargain bin. Or better yet, will play used.

I read this as one of these posts:

Pretty obvious moneyhat here. _____ is full of shit. I have no reason to support these guys now especially with everything else coming out around ______'s release date. Will wait until ______ hits bargain bin. Or better yet, will play used.
In fact, this thread is full of them. I may save some of these.

That people don't understand that there are no "specific graphical features possible only on the PS4" is not CDPR's fault.

I think the only way to make people happy is to come out and say "We're taking advantage of the PS4's massively superior hardware by increasing texture resolution, shadow resolution, reflection resolution, particle resolution, and resolution.

On one hand, if I owned a PS4, I would definitely hope to get the best possible experience on my version of the game. I feel the same way about the PC version for any multiplatform game. But I can also understand that it's not the dev's fault that there are large power gaps in all 3 machines, and tailoring a version for each one is probably very time consuming.

"We always want to provide the best possible experience to all our gamers regardless of the platform and so we are not aiming to develop special graphical features for any of them,” Balazs Torok, Lead Engine Programmer said to GamingBolt."

If that was true, the PC version of W3 would be gimped and locked to whatever settings the least capable platform possesses (XB1).

In other words, bullshit.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I guess I may be misunderstanding myself. Are they just saying that they aren't taking time to develop any processes specifically for PS4 hardware instead of saying that they aren't taking advantage of the extra horsepower? Because my confusion comes from the fact that it makes it sound like they aren't utilizing the horsepower, when they've openly stated that they are. If it's the former, then it's just like the vast majority of multiplat games.

Denton

I guess I may be misunderstanding myself. Are they just saying that they aren't taking time to develop any processes specifically for PS4 hardware instead of saying that they aren't taking advantage of the extra horsepower? Because my confusion comes from the fact that it makes it sound like they aren't utilizing the horsepower, when they've openly stated that they are. If it's the former, then it's just like the vast majority of multiplat games.

Every graphical feature that PS4 can do, Xbone can do also (albeit slower). So developing any special graphical features for PS4 not only makes no sense, it is not even possible.
What they are not saying, is that PS4 will not be superior. It will. And PC version will be superior even over that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Every graphical feature that PS4 can do, Xbone can do also (albeit slower). So developing any special graphical features for PS4 not only makes no sense, it is not even possible.
What they are not saying, is that PS4 will not be superior. It will. And PC version will be superior even over that.

Oh, OK. Disregard my previous post then. It's like 99% of multiplat games.

Sentenza

So can I expect every graphical feature of the PC version on both console versions?
No, but you wouldn't like to hear that anyway.
So they are better telling people "all versions would be more or less the same".
Let's not pretend we haven't seen many times in the past what kind of shitfest people can throw when a developer admits one specific version is inferior.

- "Obviously the PC version will be the most impressive, but..."
- "Oh YEAH? Well, you can keep your shitty game, you lazy bastards! Preorder canceled. It's not like you'll ever be remotely as good as Naughty Gods, anyway"

dr_rus

Every graphical feature that PS4 can do you can do on a i8088 processor albeit slower.

This is a false line of thinking because processing power is the only limiting factor in what a h/w can do today. So if you have a faster h/w you can do features which you can't on a slower one - simply because they'll make the slower one crawl to unplayable framerates. So a PS4 being a 50-100% faster h/w can most certainly do features which XBO h/w can't while maintaining the same rendering and assets resolution. This has already happened a couple of times when XBO versions didn't have as good AA as PS4's and some AO effects were missing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Every graphical feature that PS4 can do you can do on a i8088 processor albeit slower.

This is a false line of thinking because processing power is the only limiting factor in what a h/w can do today. So if you have a faster h/w you can do features which you can't on a slower one - simply because they'll make the slower one crawl to unplayable framerates. So a PS4 being <snip> faster h/w can most certainly do features which XBO h/w can't while maintaining the same rendering and assets resolution. This has already happened a couple of times when XBO versions didn't have as good AA as PS4's and some AO effects were missing.

This isn't what CDPR is referring to, though. Like many if not most of the respondents in this thread, you've misunderstood the comment to mean that CDPR won't utilise the comparative extra power of the PS4, however what CDPR is actually referring to is the fact that at the technological level there is nothing the PS4 can do that the X1 can't -- there won't be any "special graphical features" in the PS4 version because they literally do not exist.

Durante

So can I expect every graphical feature of the PC version on both console versions?

C'mon, Durante.
Work on your reading comprehension. I have no idea how you even got that from anything I posted or CDPR said.

You are being silly. And wrong. We are talking about two GPUs in the same generation from the same manufacturer here.

I swear, people will get their panties in a bunch about anything unless developers say that PS4 is a gift from the gods. Hell, even that wouldn't be enough. They have to say that it's a gift from the gods and that XB1 sucks.

This isn't what CDPR is referring to, though. Like many if not most of the respondents in this thread, you've misunderstood the comment to mean that CDPR won't utilise the comparative extra power of the PS4, however what CDPR is actually referring to is the fact that at the technological level there is nothing the PS4 can do that the X1 can't -- there won't be any "special graphical features" in the PS4 version because they literally do not exist.
I applaud you for still having the energy to politely point out the obvious on page 11.

FACE

Banned
I applaud you for still having the energy to politely point out the obvious on page 11.

And that's after a mod edited the thread title to make sure that everyone knows that the op is full of shit.

Page 11? Durante, please. 100 posts per page 4 lyfe

EGM1966

My interpretation is exactly that : I suspect that this isnt contentious enough of a view for some though.

dr_rus

Re-read what I've said. Graphical "feature" is a product of performance these days. If you have performance you may use more complex shaders ("features"). Thus a more powerful machine can definitely have "features" which a less powerful machine can't.

As for some "technological level" - again, anything a GPU can do in 30 fps a CPU can do in 0,0003 fps. Where does this lead us?

You are being silly. And wrong. We are talking about two GPUs in the same generation from the same manufacturer here.

So? A more powerful GPU can run "features" which a less powerful can't. What's so difficult about understanding this? Can you run a GPU PhysX simulation on a GK107 GPU in 1080p in some Batman game? Sure you can. Can you play in 2 fps which you get as a result of this?

Durante

You are nitpicking. I, and I assume most people in game development, don't call things like increasing IQ, the number of AO taps, shadow resolution or reflection update frequency a "specific graphical feature". And those are the kind of difference you can expect with a ~50% GPU increase.

From the context of the question ("How will CD Projekt be taking advantage of the PS4&#8242;s unified GDDR5 memory architecture and whether they will be developing specific graphical features which they might have found to be possible only on the PS4?") it was clear that the publication also meant something different, possibly related to the mythological GDDR5.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Re-read what I've said. Graphical "feature" is a product of performance these days. If you have performance you may use more complex shaders ("features"). Thus a more powerful machine can definitely have "features" which a less powerful machine can't.

I read what you said, and again that is not what CDPR is referring to. I can't possibly make this any clearer.

As for some "technological level" - again, anything a GPU can do in 30 fps a CPU can do in 0,0003 fps. Where does this lead us?

It leads us to CDPR's actual point. Frankly, you're grasping at straws here -- unsuccessfully -- by conflating viability and technological capability.

Top Bottom