• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 controls like shit

Sanctuary

When you use all of the tools in your arsenal, Geralt's sluggishness isn't really a factor since your enemies can no longer respond and interrupt you. You will also end up slaughtering your foes a lot faster and in much more satisfying manners. Finding ways to combine all of these abilities in different ways depending on the enemy is what puts Witcher 3's combat a step above most other RPGs for me.

It's still a factor. Just because you're hiding it by performing actions that don't actually require much movement doesn't mean it's not there. Also, I can spam Igni or Aard most of the way through the game and not have to deal with it, because most enemies are helpless to both, but that doesn't make combat satisfying. Skyrim's bow combat was more satisfying than most everything in The Witcher 3 regarding combat, and that game is basically an FPS. The movement issues aren't soley combat related anyway. It's just movement in general.

Horizon controls are amazing. Tight and responsive. Even more incredible considering that it is very animation heavy. It is the complete opposite of The Witcher 3 and as far as open world RPGs go, it is perfect.

MGS5 is also on another league. I gotta say I didnt like the game at all (worst mainline MGS game imo) but the controls are sublime.

This is like saying that Leonardo didn't put enough effort into the background when he was painting the Mona Lisa

Memento

Wait, is the alternative control scheme the one inside the gameplay option titled as "Movement response" which has alternative and standart? Because if that is it, the alternative one was already activated...

Edit: yeah that is definitely it. I put the standart one and I dont know which one is worse...

DPB

Wait, is the alternative control scheme the one inside the gameplay option titled as "Movement response" which has alternative and standart? Because if that is it, the alternative one was already activated...

Yes, that's it. The difference should be obvious if you try turning on the spot - Geralt moves like an oil tanker with standard enabled.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Controls are not the best but are more than fine. Witcher 3 controls/combat may be the most hyperbolized complaint of the entire generation once the dust settles.

BumRush

I didn't love the way it controlled either (although i tolerated it and eventually forgot about it)...and it still ended up being a top 10 game of all time for me.

VeeP

Before I turned on alternate movement I was about to give up on the game. After I turned it on, I kept playing and playing. It's now my game of the generation. It's amazing what CDPR has done. They built a world that surpasses pretty much everything else in gaming. The DLC is the best anyone's offered this gen imo.

Daingurse

All The Witcher games have shit controls.

It's why I could never get into the series.

I would always hear people say Witcher 2's combat controls made it unplayable, but I never really struggled with them, and it's one of my favorite games of all time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Witcher 1 was a great game too, but I would agree that the controls were a bit awkward.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Controls bad, and loot is pointless. The quest structure carries the game tbh. Doing my first playthrough now.

Broank

Controls for Geralt we're good. Much better than say GTA or Assassin's Creed. PC especially was silky and responsive.

Roach was super janky though and swimming under water was pretty bad.

Complistic

and swimming under water was pretty bad.

Swimming was terrible before they fixed it, now it's passable for the couple times you actually need to do it.

With alt controls, I really don't see the problem. Default controls are a tad sluggish, but they patched in an alternative, so complaining is hardly allowed.

Noctis3

All this hyperbole over the controls. They were not the best but damn... you guys make it sound like it was completely unplayable lol.

Neo_MG90

Edit: yeah that is definitely it. I put the standart one and I dont know which one is worse...

Well that's a bummer.

Sad to hear that the movement is hindering the experience of such a great game.

Venfayth

I know a handful of people personally who dropped the game because of it. I dislike it myself but still loved the game. If you think it's just hyperbole then I don't know what you think hyperbole looks like. Do you think people are just making shit up?

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Never really understood this critique, especially because its almost never expanded upon in any meanigful way, it always regressed back to the low hanging fruit of "clunky" and unresponsive, with the latter one simply being false. There is no significant input lag in The witcher 3, dodging and parrying is very reliable and done as quickly as the player can react. Another fairly reductive argument that is repeated a lot is the "you just cast Quen and press attack the attack button until they die". Considering the exceptional variety in enemy behaviour, this point rings hollow as well. Nekkers and drowners will punish this tactic every time, and bigger creatures also need a much more careful approach if you dont want to get two-shotted, for example.

From what I can tell, the whole "Witcher 3 has bad controls/combat" is mostly a neogaf specific meme that gained some traction in the 2015 GoTY thread, when certain people seemed to get upset about the witcher 3 raking in all the mainstream awards. I mean, virtually no reviews from the gaming press mentioned combat in a negative light, so its really only here its even remotely widespread. Its baffling.

Never really understood this critique, especially because its almost never expanded upon in any meanigful way, it always regressed back to the low hanging fruit of "clunky" and unresponsive, with the latter one simply being false. There is no significant input lag in The witcher 3, dodging and parrying is very reliable and done as quickly as the player can react. Another fairly reductive argument that is repeated a lot is the "you just cast Quen and press attack the attack button until they die". Considering the exceptional variety in enemy behaviour, this point rings hollow as well. Nekkers and drowners will punish this tactic every time, and bigger creatures also need a much more careful approach if you dont want to get two-shotted, for example.

From what I can tell, the whole "Witcher 3 has bad controls/combat" is mostly a neogaf specific meme that gained some traction in the 2015 GoTY thread, when certain people seemed to get upset about the witcher 3 raking in all the mainstream awards. I mean, virtually no reviews from the gaming press mentioned combat in a negative light, so its really only here its even remotely widespread. Its baffling.

Dont agree with this, it is not some made up GAF thing, the controls were patched can db they released a new control scheme for a reason. The game foes not have the best animations, movesets or mechanics. You are kidding yourself or in denial.

You think the Devs patched it several tines for shits and giggles_?

Why defend a poor part of a game?

The Witcher 3 isn't about combat.

I personally played through on Blood and Broken Bones with minimal issue but just put it on easy and enjoy one of the most immersive and well-written RPGs of all time.
Personally, I love the combat in Witcher 3. Admittedly you can become ridiculously OP after finishing the game using certain builds, but even that is a heap of fun IMHO, e.g.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a80zlFyeG-c

The controls for moving around the world do feel cumbersome with plenty of momentum, and are as far from twitchy as you can get. That said, I feel like they suit the game in that this isn't meant to be a twitchy action experience. I actually prefer the default controls to the alternate scheme for that reason, but it does make controlling Geralt tricky in very confined spaces. For me it only ever becomes an issue when controlling him on narrow cliff tops (certain parts of Skellige come to mind), which are probably the most difficult and perspiration-inducing sections of the game :)

The Witcher 3 is an experience like no other, and it's not intended as a 'pick up and play' game. If you're trying to squeeze some Witcher 3 time in between playing other action games I think you're doomed to a bad experience. It's the sort of game you need to completely give yourself over to, and just immerse yourself in the world for a significant and extended period of time. The controls are different from other games and there's definitely an adjustment period, but it doesn't take long to get comfortable with them.

There's a reason why the Witcher 3 is the most awarded game of all time.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I've actually never got the complaints about the combat, it's not Devil My Cry but for a WRPG it's pretty much is in comparison to other WRPG's and now the controls?
Yeah I don't think so.

Venfayth

What?

It's not Input lag, it's that there is no snappy response when you move Geralt. He turns to face the direction of motion and circles around instead of moving directly that way immediately. Even with the alternate controls enabled.

It's funny that you're trying to dismiss this as a Neogaf only complaint as if that invalidates it, since that's where we're discussing it. By the way, it's not even true!

obeast

I share your confusion about the complaints -- I thought the combat was decidedly above average by RPGs standards, and easily the best in the series -- but I don't agree that it's this empty meme. Clearly, a lot of players are put off by the controls (example: this thread). I can't empathize, since I didn't experience the same thing, but there's no denying that it's a real phenomenon.

Exentryk

Alternate Movement does improve it a fair bit, but yes, there is still room for improvement. One tip for people still having trouble is to sprint less and walk/jog more. If you are on pc and can remove sprint all together via a mod, that'd be perfect.

nTurQ75.gif

If any CDPR dev is reading, go play NieR Automata and copy the movement exactly for the next Witcher.

Noctis3

I know a handful of people personally who dropped the game because of it. I dislike it myself but still loved the game. If you think it's just hyperbole then I don't know what you think hyperbole looks like. Do you think people are just making shit up?
Hmm... hyperbole would generally be an over exaggeration and that is what people seem to be doing here. So, yeah I think I know what hyperbole looks like.

What?

It's not Input lag, it's that there is no snappy response when you move Geralt. He turns to face the direction of motion and circles around instead of moving directly that way immediately. Even with the alternate controls enabled.

It's funny that you're trying to dismiss this as a Neogaf only complaint as if that invalidates it, since that's where we're discussing it. By the way, it's not even true!
GAF made it up, so the Devs patched it for nothing.lol. everyone complaining about it ate dumb or something apparently.

Venfayth

Hmm... hyperbole would generally be an over exaggeration and that is what people seem to be doing here. So, yeah I think I know what hyperbole looks like.

Care to cite any specific examples?

There's a reason why the Witcher 3 is the most awarded game of all time.

Yes it certainly is to the games credit that the rest of the game can carry a part of the game that many consider to be a frustrating flaw.

Witcher 3 is a great game but the controls were definitely not the best. It also doesn't help that the game's combat were just okay since it made some parts a slog to get through (I took a lot of breaks). The game truly shines in world building and honestly if those things were done better I probably would have ended up loving this game. Still it was a great game and I would recommend it to most people.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
What?

What does that mean, "snappy response"? You have 2 separate dodges, one leap and one roll, that do an excellent job of moving geralt quickly across either a smaller or larger distance. You use the targeting and geralt pivots with it. Whats not true? The bit about reviews certainly is.

sappyday

It's probably the game's only really major fault for me. It's so tiny tho compared to all the good stuff in it. I guess Roach would be the second biggest problem for me.

thefil

The slippery controls are why I set the game aside after a few hours. I did not try the alternate control setting, and when/if I eventually try again on PC instead of PS4 I intend to try those as well as mod options.

Venfayth

What does that mean, "snappy response"? You have 2 separate dodges, one leap and one roll, that do an excellent job of moving geralt quickly across either a smaller or larger distance. You use the targeting and geralt pivots with it. Whats not true? The bit about reviews certainly is.

It means moving in the direction I press the moment I do so. It means not circling around to face that direction first. It means cancelling irrelevant animations to prioritize movement. I'm talking about movement in and out of combat.

I am not talking about rolls or attacking.

It's probably the worst part of the game, but even then I wouldn't call it shit.

A lot of people don't talk about the controls because pretty much everything else in the game is so overwhelmingly superb. It's easy to look past. It set the bar for open world RPG's and then set it again with its DLC.

You don't even know what people are talking about lol.
Again with the reviews..GTA games ate some of the best reviewed, they control like shit. The older ones at least. Games get praise for diff things, witcher is for its quest design, writing. Many reviews talk about sub par animations, movement and controls.

Tovarisc

If any CDPR dev is reading, go play NieR Automata and copy the movement exactly for the next Witcher.

Why? How that gameplay would in anyway fit into Witcher and to Geralt?

<Insert Western development studio>, please go and copypasta <insert Japanese ARPG> combat into your game or I can't play it -argument is weirdly common on GAF. Even when that style of movement and/or combat wouldn't fit identity of game at all.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Dont agree with this, it is not some made up GAF thing, the controls were patched can db they released a new control scheme for a reason. The game foes not have the best animations, movesets or mechanics. You are kidding yourself or in denial.

You think the Devs patched it several tines for shits and giggles_?

Why defend a poor part of a game?

Witcher 3 probably has the best post-launch support of any SP-only game ever. Just because CDPR added a lot of things doesnt mean all of them were previously broken.

Again, the critique is wildly unspecific. Sure, i agree that its not "the best", but it is above average in its genre.

Exentryk

Why? How that gameplay would in anyway fit into Witcher and to Geralt?

<Insert Western development studio>, please go and copypasta <insert Japanese ARPG> combat into your game or I can't play it -argument is weirdly common on GAF. Even when that style of movement and/or combat wouldn't fit identity of game at all.

Learn to read. I said copy the movement, not combat/gameplay.

Witcher 3 probably has the best post-launch support of any SP-only game ever. Just because CDPR added a lot of things doesnt mean all of them were previously broken.

Again, the critique is wildly unspecific. Sure, i agree that its not "the best", but it is above average in its genre.
Everything you said about it being a made up meme is bs...just because you have higher tolerance than others for subpar mechanics doesn't mean everyone does. Its not above avg...outside of bethesda no.one else is worse.

How many games patch several times the controls, and add a control scheme? They did it because the default us not very good.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
It means moving in the direction I press the moment I do so. It means not circling around to face that direction first. It means cancelling irrelevant animations to prioritize movement. I'm talking about movement in and out of combat.

I am not talking about rolls or attacking.

Well Geralt does move in the direction you press the moment you do so. He does not circle, you can cancel your attacks. I did it all the time, the backwards and sideways leap dodge in the middle of attacking animations, works with rolls as well. This is what i found so baffling, which i explained in my first post.

Everything about the game seems to have an intense input lag to it. Even the menus.

I swear I press the joystick forward and Geralt starts to actually move like almost a full second later. It's atrocious.

And then you try something like Zelda BOTW and the controls are so responsive and fluid, you wonder how CDPR could fuck it up so bad.

Eh? I felt BOTW combat was off, especially the dodge. BOTW is great but i wouldnt call it tight. MGSV, Platinum games, Nioh, all tight

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Everything you said about it being a made up meme is bs...just because you have higher tolerance than others for subpar mechanics doesn't mean everyone does. Its not above avg...outside of bethesda no.one else is worse.

How many games patch several times the controls, and add a control scheme? They did it because the default us not very good.

Again you seem to be regressing into some meta-critique, unable to specify whats broken, you simply say that it HAS to be because they added an additional control scheme. After that its just more hyperbole. This is exactly what my point was in my first post.

The on-foot controls aren't that good but they don't bother me that much with Alternative mode turned on. What is truly ass is the jerky horse movement and combat where Geralt does random long ass ballerina animations. I really hope Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't suffer from this because it will put a big stain on the game for me if it does.

Top Bottom