• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 - New preview details

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
i'm worried about the scaling items - does this mean that by the time i'm only 1/2 done with the game i'll have seen every item/enhancement, just not with top stats?

hope there are plenty of items that are evenly distributed throughout the game.

erawsd

Great bits of details .

Tbh I'm more interested on the female witcher , Ciri . Hopefully her portions aren't short .

They've said Ciri stuff is short and linear sequences. She wont b free roaming or anything.

It was terrible in Oblivion and is frowned upon by a lot of RPG fans as it implies a world pandering to your player over an organic world you're challenged to explore and discover.

I'm very disappointed that this is in The Witcher 3 as it seems contradictory to how they've detailed a lot of other features. I can only hope the scaling isn't too aggressive.

For me is really depends what they intend to do with the crafted gear. Prior to this they've said that the crafted stuff would be the best gear in the game and that the sets would require you to find schematics and materials from very difficult means and then find someone in the world skilled enough to make the item, which may also involve a quest.

If that is still in place then I feel like this system could reach a "happy medium" where an earnest player is still able to seek greater rewards and I wouldn't be bothered by lesser items scaling.

This was posted in another thread.

OvoiPPV.jpg

That looks fantastic. All of this sounds great, actually. Would've been interested to see what that ice skating battle was like.

I don't understand their loot scaling system. Does it goes in pair with leveling ? Oblivion was terrible because of this. And what about unique items ? Do they scale ? It's always better to wait late game to do the quest that will reward unique drops then ?

boskee

I don't understand their loot scaling system. Does it goes in pair with leveling ? Oblivion was terrible because of this. And what about unique items ? Do they scale ? It's always better to wait late game to do the quest that will reward unique drops then ?

They wont scale up past their pre-determined level. So if you wait until level 25 to get a level 21 sword, it will still be level 21, but if you acquire it at level 18, it will be level 18 sword (and wont scale up with you). I can definitely see it working.

Denton

Item scaling makes sense I guess. It would be bizzare to find a bad ass sword and not be able to use it right away, since we are playing master swordsman Geralt of Rivia.

Dynamic3

What's the point of taking a swing at monster who's a higher level than me if my reward is just going to scale back to my level?

Really disappointing.

Don't like the loot scaling (not the way they do it anyhow, having the item be permanently lower stat)

Don't like the idea of skull enemies, if i can see something I should be able to kill it if I'm good at the game mechanics.
In dragon's dogma I could go find the drake in the northern forest at level 10 and actually kill it.
In dark souls you can stay level 1 and still beat the game.
The concept of skull enemies and 'no dmg to high level enemies' does not instill much confidence in the combat mechanics and depth of the game.
If there was enough depth to have a long learning curve and wide variety of difficulty in encounters then they wouldn't need bandaids like skull enemies and oneshotting.

Item scaling makes sense I guess. It would be bizzare to find a bad ass sword and not be able to use it right away, since we are playing master swordsman Geralt of Rivia.

The realism argument? Nothing makes sense then.
3rd game in a row and you'll start over struggling against wolves and other enemies that were fodder to you midway through the last game.

If weapons have a set maximum power level then I wonder if the scaling can be modded out? I hope so, this is the first dissapointing thing I've heard about the game so far.

boskee

The concept of skull enemies and 'no dmg to high level enemies' does not instill much confidence in the combat mechanics and depth of the game.
If there was enough depth to have a long learning curve and wide variety of difficulty in encounters then they wouldn't need bandaids like skull enemies and oneshotting.

I am sorry, but I don't understand your problem with a visual indicator of whether or not the monster stats are so superior to yours that you really stand no chance in battle. It's just an icon that is shown if the stat difference is big enough. You can still try beating it, but you're unlikely to win.

Denton

Don't like the loot scaling (not the way they do it anyhow, having the item be permanently lower stat)

Don't like the idea of skull enemies, if i can see something I should be able to kill it if I'm good at the game mechanics.
In dragon's dogma I could go find the drake in the northern forest at level 10 and actually kill it.
Can you stay at level 1 in Dark Souls and defeat all the monsters and bosses?
I am fairly certain the UI skull can be disabled, and I don't see anything wrong with oneshotting. I loved being oneshotted in Gothic 2, getting stronger, coming back and kicking ass.

The realism argument? Nothing makes sense then.
3rd game in a row and you'll start over struggling against wolves and other enemies that were fodder to you midway through the last game.
Huh ?

PensOwl

Banned
There was a big conversation within the team on whether Geralt could be fully nude or not. The conversation also involved the extra polygons that would be used for his penis and who would animate it while running. On the other side, others believed that there was a lot of female nudity in the game, so there should be male nudity as well. The result is that there’s a lot more male nudity than in previous games, but Geralt still normally wears his underwear.

Modded Skyrim stays winning

Jonm1010

Banned
Loot scaling is the first thing that genuinely is bumming me out.

I just don't like the logic and the trade off it creates.

Mindman

You won’t find items you can’t use because you’re too low level. They will automatically scale down to your level if they’re too high for you. For instance the damage of a weapon will be lower, even if they will keep their “cool” elements like setting elements on fire for instance. Once you pick up an item, its stats are set, so it won’t scale back up to its original stats. That said, you’ll always get better loot as you move forward anyway. There’s no need to wait to be the right level before you get an item.

This is one of the few negative things about the game I have read so far. It kills the joy of obtaining powerful loot that you come across, and thus makes the whole looting system less satisfying. Skyrim did it this way and that was a bad design decision.

Hopefully they can change this in the day one patch.;) Or, maybe it'll be one of the first mods for the PC version...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Right, so there shouldn't be level requirements for items at all. It's an action RPG: find loot, use loot. You don't have strength/agility stats to worry about and level really shouldn't matter. But the loot scaling down because of your level is particularly worrisome, doesn't make much sense, and is contradictory towards the kind of game they've been marketing Wild Hunt as.

Though the game had a multitude of other problems, the aggressive item scaling in Oblivion utterly devastated my enthusiasm to actually seek out new gear and embark on difficult quests. Hopefully Wild Hunt's scaling doesn't regress that far.

Kinthalis

Banned
Right, so there shouldn't be level requirements for items at all. It's an action RPG: find loot, use loot. You don't have strength/agility stats to worry about and level really shouldn't matter. But the loot scaling down because of your level is particularly worrisome, doesn't make much sense, and is contradictory towards the kind of game they've been marketing Wild Hunt as.

Though the game had a multitude of other problems, the aggressive item scaling in Oblivion utterly devastated my enthusiasm to actually seek out new gear and embark on difficult quests. Hopefully Wild Hunt's scaling doesn't regress that far.

I think the problem stems from having an open world. If you can sneak behind monster X, or side step it, or find an alternate route to place y, and you end up wiht a very powerful item... well that's a rewarding feeling for the player, for sure, BUT it can mean boring combat that becomes trivial.

You have to account for both of those scenerios, and I think this solution sounds like a decent compromise. You still get a cool items with unique abilities, but it's not going to throw the rest of your gameplay off.

The other option is of course, to gate these items at all times via hard monsters or impassible obstructions that only become traversable later, as unlcoks from story or quests or level. But that quickly becomes tiresome in what is supposed ot be an open world game. What the point of an open world that is gated every which place?

boskee

Who said they even display the item level? I just don't see a problem if you didn't know the "original level" in the first place.

Falchion

I have a feeling that I'll be doing a lot of Witcher weapon searches online during my playthrough to make sure I don't get something really cool too early.

I think the problem stems from having an open world. If you can sneak behind monster X, or side step it, or find an alternate route to place y, and you end up wiht a very powerful item... well that's a rewarding feeling for the player, for sure, BUT it can mean boring combat that becomes trivial.

You have to account for both of those scenerios, and I think this solution sounds like a decent compromise. You still get a cool items with unique abilities, but it's not going to throw the rest of your gameplay off.

The other option is of course, to gate these items at all times via hard monsters or impassible obstructions that only become traversable later, as unlcoks from story or quests or level. But that quickly becomes tiresome in what is supposed ot be an open world game. What the point of an open world that is gated every which place?

That's just the thing, it shouldn't mean boring combat if the combat and boss design is good.
That is why I said it doesn't instill much confidence in the combat for me...

Triple my damage in MGR and the combat is still AMAZING all the same.
RPGs should not have lowered expectations for gameplay and combat, especially now that there are rpgs out there with stellar encounter design and awesome combat.

KorrZ

Oblivion's main issue was that you couldn't even FIND the cool gear in the game until you were at a certain level. It was just impossible for the higher level gear to drop at all or even spawn in chests and the like. At least in this case the unique and awesome gear will still exist in the world.

That makes it far superior to the Oblivion system for me, even if it's not an ideal implementation on it's own.

In some cases when you kill the monsters in an area, humans will settle it. In the prologue there’s actually a cutscene that shows is as it happens so that the players understand the mechanic. It’s not always so simple, and there are different states. Whenever you go into an area the game will check what you have and what you haven’t done, who you helped, who you killed, the decisions you made during quests and dialogue. That can change a lot of things, including the people that spawn in a village. The mechanic is simple, but it can get complex because of all the branching.

Fantastic.

Monsters don’t scale with your level. If you’re way underleveled compared to a monster, you’ll do almost no damage.

I love this because it makes sense, certain monsters are way more powerful than others and that fact shouldn't change based on the player's level.
It's an open world so you're bound to run into any kind of creature.

• There was a big conversation within the team on whether Geralt could be fully nude or not. The conversation also involved the extra polygons that would be used for his penis and who would animate it while running. On the other side, others believed that there was a lot of female nudity in the game, so there should be male nudity as well. The result is that there’s a lot more male nudity than in previous games, but Geralt still normally wears his underwear.

That is a bit disappointing. Not that I was looking forward to seeing Geralts penis, but one thing that really made me go "Really?" was in the beginning of 2 when Triss was completely nude in bed but Geralt had his underwear on.

I guess the explanation could be that Triss sleeps nude and Geralt sleeps with his underwear on, but I don't think that is what they were going for.

They wont scale up past their pre-determined level. So if you wait until level 25 to get a level 21 sword, it will still be level 21, but if you acquire it at level 18, it will be level 18 sword (and wont scale up with you). I can definitely see it working.

yes it could... But what about difficulty scaling ? How will it work in the open world ?

I think the character scaling the weapons is a good decision. It avoids the Dark Souls 1 issue where you got the sword from the dragons tale and most enemies were walk overs. In Witcher 3, its more of character development than powerful loot acquisition. Hope it this direction works out

misho8723

Banned
Why is the item scale part a problem for people?

In most RPG's when you find a really powerful weapon, it's often that it's at higher level they your character, so you need to level up to be able to use that weapon.. and in W3 it's the same, no? If you don't want to downlevel your weapon, you just don't use it.. but if you want, then the weapon isn't as powerful as she would be if you would be at the same level as her, but the weapon is still going to be more powerful than a standart weapon which is the same level as you..

It's another choice left for you - are you going to wait to level up and use the weapon in her most powerful state or are you going to use the weapon right from the moment you find it but not as powerful as if you would waited and level up yourself to the level of the weapon

Why is the item scale part a problem for people?

It's another choice left for you - are you going to wait to level up and use the weapon in her most powerful state or are you going to use the weapon right from the moment you find it but not as powerful as if you would waited and level up yourself to the level of the weapon
doesn't the downleveling happens as soon as you pick the weapon though?

Damerman

They should start a kickstarter to include Geralts penis in the game. I'd back it... for feminist and egalitarian purposes of course.

there should be more penises in games. they don't hesitate to put full frontal nudity for women, it should be the same for males. and its just a penis... a perfectly natural part of the human anatomy. Acting awkward around anatomical parts is outdated.

RedSwirl

Because we keep getting posts like this, I think it's safe to say Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls have risen the bar for action RPG combat, and I honestly don't think any western games are going to reach their standards of combat balance for the foreseeable future.

The overwhelming majority of action RPGs are made by RPG developers that mostly know how to balance stats and cooldowns and things like that. They're used to making games where the outcome of a battle depends on cerebral strategy and stats most of all.

Dragon's Dogma was made by the Devil May Cry team. It's experienced with the nuances of action combat: range, animation frames, combos, things like that. Dark Souls uses some of the same nuances as fighting games but slowed down. These are things that, for the most part, western RPG developers and even most JRPG developers don't understand all that well.

Just like Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age II & Inquisition, and Mass Effect, I'm expecting Witcher 3's combat to be traditional RPG combat where you mash buttons to make commands.

We should probably hold off on item scaling criticism until we see the system in action. if there are truly enough weapons to find and craft through the course of the game I don't think it's a big deal if weapons go down a few levels. It only becomes an issue if the loot is so limited that people start devising "optimal level" strategies advising players to hold off until level __ to get that sword because "blah blah blah."

Top Bottom