• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 - New preview details

Nordicus

Those bullet points about creature AI and simulating an eco system with Witcher world's creatures sound almost too good to be true.

If they deliver, I'll spend more time just looking at AI doing its thing more than in STALKER games

Edit: I hope there's a zoom function, like some kind of binoculars.

Dsyndrome

So this means that after I kill the Swamp Elder Abomination, I'll get a scaled BAMF of Doom Silver Sword scaled down because I beat the dude early? But later on I'll pass a chest off one of the paths and inside will be a Silver Sword with higher stats?

Next thing you'll tell me that the level cap will be reached halfway through the game, rendering experience obsolete. Screw item scaling.

Weapons scaling down and being set

Sounds like amalur all over
My thoughts exactly.

Aldia

Banned
After seeing how confident CDPR is about the game being amazing, I feel like there's no way it can be bad. Hype.

boskee

They should start a kickstarter to include Geralts penis in the game. I'd back it... for feminist and egalitarian purposes of course.

there should be more penises in games. they don't hesitate to put full frontal nudity for women, it should be the same for males. and its just a penis... a perfectly natural part of the human anatomy. Acting awkward around anatomical parts is outdated.

But do you know if Geralt is circumcised or not? Can someone ask Sapkowski?

Yep. It's going to suck finding out that you missed out on a potentially great item because you found it too early.

I actually don't like that at all, and is the one blemish in all this information.

It's not as fun to find gear if everything scales neatly to your level -- and it also creates a meta-game of when is the optimal time to find the best gear in the game.

Nope, don't like it one bit :(

pretty much how i feel, it sucks.

Has anyone voiced the item scaling concern to cd Twitter? If enough of us post this thread to their twitter they might at least quell some concerns

@cdprojektred

ironcreed

Banned
What about his pubes? White wolf?

tumblr_mlq2poKlBx1rxsy5yo1_400.gif

RedSwirl

Those bullet points about creature AI and simulating an eco system with Witcher world's creatures sound almost too good to be true.

If they deliver, I'll spend more time just looking at AI doing its thing more than in STALKER games

Edit: I hope there's a zoom function, like some kind of binoculars.

Everything they've said about the AI in this game definitely sounds interesting.

I'm really interested in this game. But I haven't played the first two...

I hope the game will explain the story of the first two games somehow.
And the 7 books before hem lol
Dont worry, theyve said it would be accessible to new players. Or if you prefer just look for the the witcher community thread where we have put some videos explaining the whole story or just answer gladly anything hou ask.

The reason why ice skating was removed from the game (very few things have been actually cut) is because creating a big fight based on a completely different set of mechanics that haven’t been explained or used before and that the players didn’t have the opportunity to master is a bad idea, as it gets people killed too easily and frustrated.

Personally, I still would have liked to see that. I don't mind things like this in a game, so long as the newly introduced mechanic is fun.

boskee

Those are all valid questions if they were going to implement his dick. And that's before even discussing the length, girth and symmetry. And then there are poor modellers who'd have to build x versions, a panel that'd decide which one to go with and possibly multiple changes.

And why stop there. Would it shrink in Skellige?

skybald

Never played a game with item scaling before. Willing to get close to release even if I end up hating it, though honestly enemy scaling never bothered me in other games. Really, you are going to have to put up with something stupid because there is no perfect system in RPGs or everyone would do one thing

Galileo

Neo Member
While item scaling is almost always a terrible idea, I don't agree that being able to kill every enemy in the game at level 1 is necessarily an indication of a superior combat system overall.
While TW is an action-RPG, it's still an RPG so the devs will have to balance the importance of player skill vs character skill, saying that every game should have its end content beatable by a newly created character means that every game should be skewed heavily towards player skill.

Damerman

Personally, I still would have liked to see that. I don't mind things like this in a game, so long as the newly introduced mechanic is fun.

i agree with this wholeheartedly. I feel like CDPR missed an opportunity here, provided that the mechanic was fun of course.

Despera

Banned
We should probably hold off on item scaling criticism until we see the system in action. if there are truly enough weapons to find and craft through the course of the game I don't think it's a big deal if weapons go down a few levels. It only becomes an issue if the loot is so limited that people start devising "optimal level" strategies advising players to hold off until level __ to get that sword because "blah blah blah."
Just imagine going through a tough area and into a nightmare of a dungeon/labyrinth... only to find a big ass golden chest at the end of it with an amazing looking weapon that you'd better not touch at your current level :(

Scaling would be acceptable if the item could reach its full potential upon leveling up.

Waxwing

While item scaling is almost always a terrible idea, I don't agree that being able to kill every enemy in the game at level 1 is necessarily an indication of a superior combat system overall.
While TW is an action-RPG, it's still an RPG so the devs will have to balance the importance of player skill vs character skill, saying that every game should have its end content beatable by a newly created character means that every game should be skewed heavily towards player skill.

Yup...there's room for both types of rpgs. I liked the M&M games of yore where your party could revisit areas where they used to die in a hit and lay waste to everything there. It's power fantasy, sure, but that can be fun now and again.

Moneal

For everyone that is concerned with item scaling. Skyrim did the same thing for unique weapons and armor, such as the nightingale stuff or daedric artifact weapons and armor. their damage and armor rating and even power of enchant changed depending on what level you found them. heres the nightingale blade as an example http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Nightingale_Blade chart about half way down shows the change in stats as the item levels.

skyrim has small changes in stats, and i don't know how witcher 3 will handle it. but it might not be as bad as some are making it out to be.

LordofPwn

Those are all valid questions if they were going to implement his dick. And that's before even discussing the length, girth and symmetry. And then there are poor modellers who'd have to build x versions, a panel that'd decide which one to go with and possibly multiple changes.

And why stop there. Would it shrink in Skellige?

do you make sliders for these things?
what if he gets excited, think of the collisions. don't want his sword going through walls, penetrating whatever is in its way.

...would it be able to do damage. dick slap an enemy to death? seems like a feature for next saints row.

How difficult are the Witcher games? I like the looks of Witcher 3, but have never played anything in the series. I prefer games that are relatively difficult, and that don't have a difficulty setting. I ended up quitting Inquisition early because it was too easy.

I don't have a problem with the items being scaled down. As they say, you will play and level up and then find better and better weapons. And The Witcher has never been an "item focused RPG", nor in fact I want it to be. More isn't always better, in this case I think having too much focus on items, levels, "builds" and power creep would cheapen the experience.
Go play Diablo, or something.

In fact, the part I don't like is this one

Monsters don’t scale with your level. If you’re way underleveled compared to a monster, you’ll do almost no damage.
The level of an enemy is displayed, but is its level is indicated by a skull you better stay away, because it’s way too strong for you, and it might even oneshot you.

I like not having leveled enemies, but that doesn't mean I want a game where there is a huge gulf of disparity between a level 1 Geralt (and level 1 enemies) and level 30 Geralt (and level 30 enemies). It doesn't feel natural to me.
I already can imagine Geralt doing great slashes against a 10 level higher enemy and magically the sword doing *no damage*, even if that type of enemy of lower level dies in two hits.

Dynamic3

For everyone that is concerned with item scaling. Skyrim did the same thing for unique weapons and armor, such as the nightingale stuff or daedric artifact weapons and armor. their damage and armor rating and even power of enchant changed depending on what level you found them. heres the nightingale blade as an example http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Nightingale_Blade chart about half way down shows the change in stats as the item levels.

skyrim has small changes in stats, and i don't know how witcher 3 will handle it. but it might not be as bad as some are making it out to be.

Yeah, and paired with enemy scaling, it was horrible in Skyrim. Aside from the beautiful vistas, the open world was pointless. No matter where you went, every encounter and reward was "in range".

Combat system aside, one of the cool aspects of DA:I was wondering into a cave to find a monster that was a much higher level than you; and with skill and patience being able to take it down, and be rewarded with a rare/powerful piece of equipment or material. You had a choice to accept the challenge, or just move along the safer path.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Item/equipment scaling was bullshit in oblivion and is dumb. I shouldn't be punished for exploring and finding something good. Weapons should be dependent on stats though I guess this series doesn't have traditional stats so I dunno maybe just let us choose to use them or not.

Other info sounds good. Hope they let us toggle the scaling though
Don't want to have to make a list of where all my potential gear is and have to consult a wiki to know when to pick it up or clutter the map up with way points.

One thing that people seem to have mis-heard on the item scaling is that he didn't say you'd be able to use higher level weapons right away. He mentioned that you might still have to wait a few levels, but you wouldn't just be carrying it around so long that you forget about it. That makes me think there is a cap to how low an item could scale down. So it wouldn't be totally nerfed.

viveks86

One thing that people seem to have mis-heard on the item scaling is that he didn't say you'd be able to use higher level weapons right away. He mentioned that you might still have to wait a few levels, but you wouldn't just be carrying it around so long that you forget about it. That makes me think there is a cap to how low an item could scale down. So it wouldn't be totally nerfed.

Good point! I didn't realize that either.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Senior game designer did an interview podcast with Gametrailers yesterday (link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSrfrc4e9ZY) and a large amount of the details were put together. Unfortunately can't link it since it's banned but thanks to Dualshockers for putting it together.

• You won’t find items you can’t use because you’re too low level. They will automatically scale down to your level if they’re too high for you. For instance the damage of a weapon will be lower, even if they will keep their “cool” elements like setting elements on fire for instance. Once you pick up an item, its stats are set, so it won’t scale back up to its original stats. That said, you’ll always get better loot as you move forward anyway. There’s no need to wait to be the right level before you get an item.

That's pretty much the only thing I don't like the sound of. Finding an awesome weapon that you're too weak to use, and then working toward finally being able to wield its power, can be very cool. Auto-scaling every weapon you find down to your level sounds a bit lame.

Would prefer if it worked more like in the Souls games. For anyone not aware, weapons in those games have permanent stats and requirements. You can still use a weapon even if you don't meet the requirements, but at a severe damage and swing speed penalty.

Slightly better I guess. But I would still vastly prefer if they didn't do that at all. Let me work toward the point when I'll finally be able to use that awesome weapon I found a while back. Or, again, do it like in Souls.

With this scaling thing it seems like there can never be a "Legendary secret silver sword with 999 damage" (just a silly example, obviously) hidden away somewhere, because it will just scale down to (or toward) your level anyway, and won't have a set damage. If this is how it seems you'll never find anything truly amazing, and that's a real shame. I would love to be rewarded for my exploration with some ridiculous weapon that I could only dream of wielding effectively at that point, but I guess that is not to be.

erawsd

Just imagine going through a tough area and into a nightmare of a dungeon/labyrinth... only to find a big ass golden chest at the end of it with an amazing looking weapon that you'd better not touch at your current level :(

Scaling would be acceptable if the item could reach its full potential upon leveling up.

CDPR wants you to take the item. They are saying that the lost stats are meaningless because by the time you have reached the appropriate level for the item you'll have found something else that is as good or better.

For instance, if that chest had a level 15 Sword in it and it was scaled down to level 10 it doesnt hurt loot acquisition because by the time you are level 15 you'll have found an actual level 15 sword that blows that one away. That scaled down level 10 sword is still pretty awesome when you find it since it retains its special properties and bonus effects.

Slightly better I guess. But I would still vastly prefer if they didn't do that at all. Let me work toward the point when I'll finally be able to use that awesome weapon I found a while back. Or, again, do it like in Souls.

I think the problem they're trying to solve is to ensure that you're actually getting an awesome weapon that you'll be able to use soon instead of a hunk of steel that would just take up room in storage and become annoyance, maybe even finding out when you finally get to that level that another sword you got since then is actually better. It will be interesting to look at in practice though.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think the character scaling the weapons is a good decision. It avoids the Dark Souls 1 issue where you got the sword from the dragons tale and most enemies were walk overs. In Witcher 3, its more of character development than powerful loot acquisition. Hope it this direction works out

Well, just don't have powerful weapons that are zero challenge to get then. Hide them deep within some caves full of high-level enemies that you would be crazy to take on too early. And if you do anyway, and somehow survive, congrats, you're clearly a very skilled player, here's an awesome weapon as a reward!

Nah, item scaling sucks.

(Also, that sword in DkS gets outclassed by upgraded standard ones relatively quickly. It just makes the first hours easier if you happen to figure out how to get it (and are patient enough, as it takes quite some time). And if you're playing the game with a guide, and that's how you knew what to do, congrats, you're robbing yourself of the joy of discovering things and overcoming challenges that makes the game so great.)

Tovarisc

This thread just like on in Reddit makes me wish they would have never ever mentioned item scaling, there was no way in hell it would go over well with people. It seems that either people are ok with or hate it yet tolerate while coming up with schemes to play around it. For e.g. not picking up items or quest rewards before level X.

I personally think item scaling will have unnoticable effect on power curve of the game as I assume there will be plenty of weapons and armor to be found. Also CDPR dev has said that best gear in the game will be gained through crafting and this guarantees that you will have kick ass stuff at end game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
CDPR wants you to take the item. They are saying that the lost stats are meaningless because by the time you have reached the appropriate level for the item you'll have found something else that is as good or better.

For instance, if that chest had a level 15 Sword in it and it was scaled down to level 10 it doesnt hurt loot acquisition because by the time you are level 15 you'll have found an actual level 15 sword that blows that one away. That scaled down level 10 sword is still pretty awesome when you find it since it retains its special properties and bonus effects.

So you'll constantly just be finding weapons that are "good enough" for where you're at, never anything amazing (that you might not be able to use yet). Meh.

I think the problem they're trying to solve is to ensure that you're actually getting an awesome weapon that you'll be able to use soon instead of a hunk of steel that would just take up room in storage and become annoyance, maybe even finding out when you finally get to that level that another sword you got since then is actually better. It will be interesting to look at in practice though.

But why must we be instantly rewarded all the time? Is it so unthinkable to ask players to have some patience and work toward a goal? Well, I mean, I know it is, judging by how most games are designed these days. But I guess I was hoping CDPR would do it differently. Which they are, with enemy levels. Just not with items. And I don't like that.

Or, again, let me use it right away, but make it less effective if I don't meet the requirements.

Durante

This thread just like on in Reddit makes me wish they would have never ever mentioned item scaling, there was no way in hell it would go over well with people.
Perhaps the correct response to an (as you say) universally disliked feature is to rethink the design decisions that lead to it rather than just not telling people about it :p

Tovarisc

But why must we be instantly rewarded all the time? Is it so unthinkable to ask players to have some patience and work toward a goal? Well, I mean, I know it is, judging by how most games are designed these days. But I guess I was hoping CDPR would do it differently. Which they are, with enemy levels. Just not with items. And I don't like that.

Dev never said they came up with this system to keep instantly rewarding players with awesome gear, but to avoid moments where player finds some awesome weapon he can't use for next 10 levels so he stashes it and forgets it into there.

You will have goals to work towards to, areas with enemies that will rip you apart faster than you can say "Dead". I find that goal enough to work towards and I know I will feel rewarded when I get to conquer some new challenging zone. I don't find it rewarding goal that I have to grind 10 levels more so I can use sword that I found 15 hours and 50 km ago.

Also I have often been in spots in RPGs where I have found some awesome weapon that is X levels above my current one so I had to stash it. Then I kept playing and leveling forgetting about that weapon. Many level later I would remember it and at that point I have already out leveled and geared it. Not fun.

Perhaps the correct response to an (as you say) universally disliked feature is to rethink the design decisions that lead to it rather than just not telling people about it :p

Personally I found their reasoning of wanting players to feel constant progress in power curve and not hit dead ends because player didn't grind X levels more before going into some cave. I just knew moment he started to talk about item scaling no matter of reasoning, sound or not, there will be a lot people climbing walls and hating it. Item scaling is so dividing mechanic.

I'm curious, does the Witcher series have unique weapons in terms of look, moveset, etc.? That's a potential issue I can see where someone grabs a weapon they really like at a low level due to said features but must ditch it several levels later because it sucks.

Almighty

The better solution to the can't use weapon until x level is to just drop that entirely. I can see why it is used in games where the loot is the point of the game, but it is dumb that it has carried over to games like The Witcher 3. If Geralt finds a badass sword he should be able to use said sword at its full stats. Even more so if I am assuming he had to find a way through a very dangerous area to stumble across said sword in the first place.

It has been over a decade since Morrowind did it right and developers are still trying to fix something that wasn't broke.

Tovarisc

I'm curious, does the Witcher series have unique weapons in terms of look, moveset, etc.? That's a potential issue I can see where someone grabs a weapon they really like at a low level due to said features but must ditch it several levels later because it sucks.

To be honest a lot of RPGs have cool looking low level gear that you have to scrap because they become useless as you level up and gear doesn't scale up.

That said Witcher 3 has a lot different looking armors and judging from videos and screenshots there is many different looking hilts for both swords.

Danneee

Ice skating? Tried to lure in the Frozen kids I see.
Non scaling monsters but scaling loot. That's an awful design choice. There's absolutely no reason to stray from the set path now.
Boooooooring!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Non scaling monsters but scaling loot. That's an awful design choice. There's absolutely no reason to stray from the set path now.

Yeah. that's my main issue with it. If I go off exploring and find a cave with enemies that are clearly out of my league, why should I even bother to try? I already know I won't be rewarded with any item that's significantly better than what I already have. And no matter what scaled-down thing I do find there I'll soon get something better by just following the main path anyway. So I guess the answer is that I shouldn't bother. I should just do things in their intended order.

erawsd

So you'll constantly just be finding weapons that are "good enough" for where you're at, never anything amazing (that you might not be able to use yet). Meh.

Youll still find things that are awesome, the game has the typical RPG item qualities. The hypothetical item were talking about could still be pretty amazing even though its been downscaled because it may have some extra properties like a gem slot or a special effect that causes immolation to enemies. The point is that you are going to replace it... whether you equip it at level 10 or level 15 is not important. Based on some of the press previews you dont burn through levels in this game, so you also arent replacing this stuff every 10 minutes.

Top Bottom