• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 PS4 gameplay

Those images were taken down. Chances are that Nvidia posted early shots without knowing/caring about the shitstorm that would ensue on gaming forums. No point reading much into media that wasn't intended for public consumption.

In which NVidia page they were shown before and then taken down (I know they were supposed to show HairWorks and HBAO+ but I didin't find the NVidia page)?

That's not the real question. I think people are free to decide what is important and what is superficial. But we need to make sure it's done with the right set of input. Images that were taken down are not worthy of any discussion or judgement.

Ah, apologies. I didn't know they'd been taken down.

And yep, I agree. I didn't mean to undermine those that do deem such things important, as to an extent, I am one of them. I just more wanted to reiterate that generally you care about these things, or you don't; there's no right or wrong way to look at it.

dEvAnGeL

im trying to create an account to use their forums but for some reason i cant, can anyone with an account there could ask if the ps4 has vsync enabled? thanks

im trying to create an account to use their forums but for some reason i cant, can anyone with an account there could ask if the ps4 has vsync enabled? thanks

They merged CDProjekt accounts with gog accounts weeks ago, so create a gog account and use it in cdprojekt forums.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
It's been fixed. Long ago.

? Long ago? That screen is from yesterday.. Where is the screenshot where it's fixed?

I see the Nvidia screenshots were replaced by outdated screenshots from old trailers, but I don't see where that wall is "fixed".

? Long ago? That screen is from yesterday.. Where is the screenshot where it's fixed?

I see the Nvidia screenshots were replaced by outdated screenshots from old trailers, but I don't see where that wall is "fixed".
Not that specific wall. But same kind of problem with a video where we saw Geralt visiting a Nilfgaard camp for the first time.
Later a cdpr employee said that their designers fixed that specific sharp edge issue.

4 am, on phone so i don't want to dig around. I am sure you can find it easily though.

GravyButt

Wondering if I should pick up the PS4 or PC version.
I have a 7950 3GB and an i7 2600k. halp
Same here. 16gb ram also.

I like sitting on the recliner with the big screen though and when the baby is asleep on me I can easily get an hour or two of gaming in with the controller. Pc would be strictly after hours when im usually to tired. Hmmm.

If that "downgrade" comparison image is true, I wouldn't exactly call it nitpicking; those very little things all create a scene that is more than the sum of its parts, so when you start removing things little by little, it is noticeable. To my eye, the lighting and geometry is clearly worse, particularly the where the two sides of the wall meet.

The real question is whether you're the type of person to let superficial things like this bring down a game that's looking to deliver where it counts.

Thankfully I'm not.

Lunar15

I know what you mean. The forests around Flotsam are still one of the most beautiful and graphically impressive areas I've seen in a game. The huge trees reminded me of the redwoods we have in the western US. The whole forest had a kind of fantastical quality about it.
But to be honest, these forests we've seen so far in The Witcher 3 are more natural looking than any forests I've ever seen in a game. They look organic, not like a theme park setting like in most games.

That said, this is a very big game and we've really only scratched the surface. I'm almost certain that there will be many types of forests, including some that are more fantastical. Some of the previous screenshots hinted at that.

I don't really care about downgrades and I'm quite excited for this game, but the three screenshots you just posted are not indicative of the final product at all. they've greatly reduced the filters in the game, so most stuff won't have that ethereal glow.

The game's been changed from what has originally been shown. Some things, like character faces and clothing have greatly improved. Other things, like textures and foliage have been reduced, probably for performance reasons. Other things have just simply been changed due to creative direction changes, such as the desire to not have that glowy effect TW2 had.

By many people's definitions, the game has absolutely been "downgraded" for performance purposes. At first I worried about this, but then I realized I didn't care, and I think the game's going to look great. But I'm also not going to shy away saying what actually happened here. It's just not going to look like what we first saw, and that's ok.

Cleve

Looks great! Still a game I'm going to get on pc, but it's nice to know the console versions will be solid too.

Soo... downgrade confirmed?
sJRK9da.jpg
The top image having a curved wall and a defining unique crack with some depth to it actually makes the particular scene seem a lot more authentic and alive. Honestly the bottom picture in comparison looks like Morrowind with an HD texture mod. Huge difference and definitely noticeable, I think a lot of you are a bit too drunk off the hype train to say that such things are unimportant. Small details like these are what make a game world realistic, immersive, and memorable. You can assume that this downgrade is only true for this particular castle but I highly doubt that, it is a shame that CD Projekt Red feel it's necessary to remove such detail from their game.

ufo8mycat

I think a lot of you are a bit too drunk off the hype train to say that such things are unimportant. Small details like these are what make a game world realistic, immersive, and memorable.

Thing is everyone is different and have different sensitivity levels etc.

For some people, these sorts of things don't impact on their enjoyment or immersion of the game at all. Immersion for them would be the same regardless if it looked like the top or bottom picture. Like myself, these things don't impact me at all and also I am too focused on the game to notice such details also.

For those where it does impact them, well there will most likely be mods to remedy this.

allftw

Neo Member
The top image having a curved wall and a defining unique crack with some depth to it actually makes the particular scene seem a lot more authentic and alive. Honestly the bottom picture in comparison looks like Morrowind with an HD texture mod. Huge difference and definitely noticeable, I think a lot of you are a bit too drunk off the hype train to say that such things are unimportant. Small details like these are what make a game world realistic, immersive, and memorable. You can assume that this downgrade is only true for this particular castle but I highly doubt that, it is a shame that CD Projekt Red feel it's necessary to remove such detail from their game.

But from all the videos it's obvious that the world is filled with amazing detail so just one rough looking edge shouldn't change the overall picture. Also as stated before that image was removed after it was uploaded so we don't know which screen is closer to the final build and what it will look like in the game.

Anyway it's great to see the game running this well on PS4. I wasn't expecting it to be horrible like some people but honestly this looks better than what I was hoping for.

Zoidberg

Given how long they've put off PS4 footage, I was concerned it was going to look like shit. All in all it looks great. It's not the same as the bullshots but what game has in the past few years?

Things like grass clipping through objects seem like a big deal when you are looking at a screenshot, but are you really going to stop and look at every texture and object for this sort of stuff once you start playing?

Lemondish

You're right though, I'm someone who is never satisfied because I always want more and better and more and more. Things like there being no footprints in the sand and certain things destruct where others don't. But we're not technologically there yet.

Point being, I'll enjoy this game and love it to pieces because of he art style. Just like I still love the witcher 2, but when I'm finished I will absolutely want more. More!

Might be better to wish for more actual game content to play rather than wishing for more wall cracks.

viveks86

The turn this thread has taken reminds me of when people were freaking out when PS Spain released that old ass footage of the order 1886 close to launch. Someone screwed up. It was taken down. It is very likely that the same thing happened here. End of story. It doesn't need to be criticized or defended. If we see any actual recent footage of it again, then we are free to hit the panic button then.

In which NVidia page they were shown before and then taken down (I know they were supposed to show HairWorks and HBAO+ but I didin't find the NVidia page)?

Here
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/batman-arkham-knight-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-nvidia-geforce-gtx-bundle

Might be better to wish for more actual game content to play rather than wishing for more wall cracks.

I wish for more of everything, they made us wait an extra year so it's gotta be perfect :p

I doubt that they will have it looking like the second screenshot I believe that it'll be the first shot that it ends up like.

Btw I'm looking for help and suggestions for OT title ideas so feel free to chip in any funny or witty ideas you can think of.

I know this is the PS4 thread but I'll be honest, in part the accusations of being "nitpicky" confuse me if that picture is indeed legitimate. Especially more so if you're going to be playing the game on PC like me.

I mean, differences like the wall being curved and more natural looking, better textures and so on are typically what separates lower settings from higher settings in the PC gaming context.

So things like that seem like perfectly valid things to criticize to me. Is it some massive hindrance to the game or it's graphical quality? No, not really. But the same can be said for many small but unnoticeable PC settings.

Jonm1010

Banned
I know what you mean. The forests around Flotsam are still one of the most beautiful and graphically impressive areas I've seen in a game. The huge trees reminded me of the redwoods we have in the western US. The whole forest had a kind of fantastical quality about it.

But to be honest, these forests we've seen so far in The Witcher 3 are more natural looking than any forests I've ever seen in a game. They look organic, not like a theme park setting like in most games.

That said, this is a very big game and we've really only scratched the surface. I'm almost certain that there will be many types of forests, including some that are more fantastical. Some of the previous screenshots hinted at that.
YReKcml.jpg

aAGYkCt.jpg

Zz4kRhO.jpg

Ok, you win, that impresses me! That is a lot more atmospheric and has that look I was worried I might not see in Witcher 3.

AU Tiger

Are you seriously nitpicking about something so minor, in a game so huge.

Absolutely. If they killed all the detail here, how many other places that we've been shown have gotten the same treatment?

This was supposed to be a graphical powerhouse that brought SLI 780ti systems to their knees (what they originally said would be needed for 1080/60) and as usual, it seems like they have systematically removed detail in order to hit a target level of performance on the consoles and simply given PC players the same thing with slightly better draw distance (though still with tons of obscene tree/object pop in) and a couple of nvidia tricks.

I imagine if this were a PC release first with consoles later like Witcher 2, we'd be seeing something a lot similar to the original teasers/trailers.

As expected it looks fantastic. I cant wait to get my hands on this. Its just gorgeous, share button is going to get some work!!

Cubed

I haven't bought a game since Resident Evil: Rev 2... And haven't bought a AAA title since GTA V. Sad, but true.

I think this game will end that drought.

erawsd

Does North America not get this stuff for preordering?

This image was on amazon.co.uk but not regular amazon.com :\

Everybody gets that stuff, as long as you are buying a boxed copy. Digital copies all get a 10% discount and different "gifts" based on where you are buying it.

Anyone who cares or pays that much attention to these tiny little things is someone who'll never be satisfied with anything.

Console version looks great. Looking forward to this game.

I was looking at what he's talking about and wasn't sure if it was a joke or not, who notices that type of stuff, wtf. lol

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Absolutely. If they killed all the detail here, how many other places that we've been shown have gotten the same treatment?

This was supposed to be a graphical powerhouse that brought SLI 780ti systems to their knees (what they originally said would be needed for 1080/60) and as usual, it seems like they have systematically removed detail in order to hit a target level of performance on the consoles and simply given PC players the same thing with slightly better draw distance (though still with tons of obscene tree/object pop in) and a couple of nvidia tricks.

I imagine if this were a PC release first with consoles later like Witcher 2, we'd be seeing something a lot similar to the original teasers/trailers.

Of course, but that is not a financial reality int he least, considering how many PC devs have moved over to console in the past years. Its just not feasible for most devs to focus on the higher end tier with PC as the only target audience, the consoles provide an easy base to use for development, and scale up for PC users with more powerful rigs who want a better experience.

Its nothing new from the 7th gen that was mostly ports of 360 games until the very end.

lethial

Reeeeeeee

I doubt you would have noticed without seeing that picture.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not that specific wall. But same kind of problem with a video where we saw Geralt visiting a Nilfgaard camp for the first time.
Later a cdpr employee said that their designers fixed that specific sharp edge issue.

4 am, on phone so i don't want to dig around. I am sure you can find it easily though.

No, that was about shitty and flat brick textures, not entire chunks of geometry. The former is obviously easier to quickly fix than the latter.

Wondering if I should pick up the PS4 or PC version.
I have a 7950 3GB and an i7 2600k. halp

Same here. 16gb ram also.

I like sitting on the recliner with the big screen though and when the baby is asleep on me I can easily get an hour or two of gaming in with the controller. Pc would be strictly after hours when im usually to tired. Hmmm.

Similar specs instead i have the good old i7 920 oc to 4ghz still. My cpu would def hurt me but im curious how well it would run anyway.

Flandy

Similar specs instead i have the good old i7 920 oc to 4ghz still. My cpu would def hurt me but im curious how well it would run anyway.
I ended up just going for the ps4 version. It looks good enough for me and I'm doubtful I can run it at 60fps with ps4 level settings lol. Maybe I'll pick up the PC version down the line when I upgrade me PC. Game will probably be a lot cheaper by then

Top Bottom