• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: PS4 vs XB1 video (Gamersyde)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very well said. It's pretty sad, for sure. But the usual suspects never seem to get it.

Anyway, PS4 definitely looks better, but I expect the XB1 version to have the frame rate advantage due to the dynamic resolution.

Aww, you think we're impressed. That's so adorable!

I agree that PC should not be part of this thread as it is a console comparison, but no need for that tone and making weird framerate predicitons that have already been refuted in this thread.

If you want to see the difference in frame rate from one version to another, we switch from x1 to ps4 during our live stream at around 16 minutes here:
http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_en_replay-34667_en.html
Not the best comparison since the stream was 30 fps, but it's still quite noticeable.

Holy.... That stutter and framerate is ATROCIOUS on the xbox one. OH GOD my eyes have been opened. I finally see it and now I know what some of you in this thread have been talking about. Wow, please CDPR for the love of everything good please fix this shit.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Image quality favors ps4. Hope the day 1 patch fixes the framerate issues.

Xbone version in particular seems to stutter a bit.

dreamfall

The Digital Foundry analysis is going to be a bloodbath! They both look pretty- framerate looks variable, stutters, drops, etc. It's not enough footage to conclude much of anything.

big_z

in the Gamersyde video some of the ps4 shadows are noticeably pixelated where they appear to not be on the xbone but its hard to say for sure due to the split screen comparison.

on rebelfm Arthur says the ps4 review build was very buggy and suffers from a memory leak when playing for a few hours. apparently it degrades performance and breaks scripting to the point where the game becomes unplayable and needs a hard reset. he says the list of day one bug fixes is long so hes interested to see how the shipped version performs. if the patch doesnt live up to its claims then it sounds like the game is going to be a mess, especially for poop-sockers.

here's a review from someone who played PC, Xbone, and PS4 versions and he does make comparisons between them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz2AkYJ2lMI

for those that don't want to watch he says xbox one is darker (normal for the platform), runs smoother and more consistent. ps4 suffers from heavier frame rate drops, especially in cut scenes and combat. he doesnt have the day one patches though so his comparison is pointless unless youre an offline gamer.

So they both look good. Damn. Was really hoping to fight about this. On a serious note I am curious how the PC version ends up.

in the Gamersyde video some of the ps4 shadows are noticeably pixelated where they appear to not be on the xbone but its hard to say for sure due to the split screen comparison.

for those that don't want to watch he says xbox one is darker (normal for the platform), runs smoother and more consistent. ps4 suffers from heavier frame rate drops, especially in cut scenes and combat. he doesnt have the day one patches though so his comparison is pointless unless youre an offline gamer.

Did he mention that he hasn't got the day1 patch in the video?

Playing on PS4 and the frame rate is pretty bad in some cutscenes. Gameplay seems smooth though. Looks good although the texture filtering could definitely be better

Pjsprojects

But then u have to reinstall os and everything, it's a pain. I added 1tb drives to my 2 ps4s and man was it an ordeal, didn't help that they just updated and dint have a proper link to current os on help site.

Xbox u just plug it in, that it.

Also ps4 maxes out at 2tb at the moment, Xbox sky's the limit.

I did the exact same thing. Never upgrade a PS4 hard drive when Sony have just done a firmware update because they don't bother to add the updated file to there web site for ages.

I had to get my updated file from the Asia site with vpn running and translate the pages via Chrome browser.

Looking at the vid both look fine and if really pushed I doubt the slightly faster cpu in X1 can make up for the gpu and better ram in PS4.
However just like with Project cars each console has reasons to buy the respective version.

My reasons are mostly the controller being so crappy on the PS4 (build quality).
However X1 has such a sluggish ui compared to PS4 so it's apples and oranges.

dlauv

Giant bombs recent play through of the first hour and a half on the X1 shows lots of framerate hitching. Giant bomb stated that they weren't sure of why it was looking like that, because it was really smooth in real life outside of a noticeable chug in cutscene transitions. It could be that the X1 version records poorly due to dynamic scaling trickery or whatever fucking with a frame buffer. Outside of my domain, but I have streamed really smooth old pc games, but on stream they look jumpy or hitchy. I'm not losing frames at all on stream or in game, but it's like I'm capturing the double buffer instead of the triple. Like I said, I couldn't give you a terribly informed answer.

I couldn't imagine them releasing a game with so much hitching.

It may seem like I'm playing X1 defense force, but I'm just curious considering the evidence. Pc player here.

Black Hat

he says the list of day one bug fixes is long so hes interested to see how the shipped version performs. if the patch doesnt live up to its claims then it sounds like the game is going to be a mess, especially for poop-sockers.

Has it been mentioned anywhere that 1.01 isn't the Day One patch? Pretty sure it is...

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member
I have been playing on my ps4 for about 6 hours yesterday and I saw a really noticable framerate drop only in a fight with a bear. There are often chugs during cutscenes, but the game didn't crash once and I have encountered less bigs than in my first hours of DAO (which is pretty buggy).

RedAssedApe

Banned
Did MS ever eliminate the black crush while upscaling? Would you see the black crush come and go with the resolution shifts?

Could have sworn ms fixed this. Or is it a dev thing like af on ps4? I remember it being a big deal when killer instinct was released and how noticeable it was due to it messing up all the shadow detail.

Who'd have thought the consoles would be struggling for power this early in the gen? Usually this effect takes 3-4 years to manifest.

Consoles always struggle for power. It's just optimization that improves as the years go on, allowing devs to seemingly push the hardware further. Really, they're just implementing tech in more efficient ways. It's not like they used to say "Let's only use 80% of the hardware for our first game, so the sequels can look better later on."

sTiTcH AU

Could have sworn ms fixed this. Or is it a dev thing like af on ps4? I remember it being a big deal when killer instinct was released and how noticeable it was due to it messing up all the shadow detail.

Far as I know the crush blacks are still there, they fixed a sharpening filter on the upscaler not long after Titanfall released (or maybe it was during the beta I can't exactly remember). Some developers used their own like Dice with BF4 and Crytek with Ryse. If you go through the calibration steps in the the video settings on the xbone however, you will no longer get crushed blacks when you play on your tv. But that doesn't fix it through capture software.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Who'd have thought the consoles would be struggling for power this early in the gen? Usually this effect takes 3-4 years to manifest.

Usually?

No.

1.Unless you just started gaming last gen. Gens usually lasted 3-4 years TOTAL.
2. The console version of this is holding its own against PC's 5x+ more powerful than them. I will be playing on an SLI PC setup at 4k, but the PS4 version looks impressively similar considering the flops gap.
3. If you're talking only framerate, piss poor performing games come at the beginning, middle, and end of every generation. Also, seeing as the PS4 performance has seemingly improved a lot, Xbox One could also have room to improve. (May require lowering the resolution further/improving the Dynamic resolution to be more aggressive
)

Mastperf

on rebelfm Arthur says the ps4 review build was very buggy and suffers from a memory leak when playing for a few hours. apparently it degrades performance and breaks scripting to the point where the game becomes unplayable and needs a hard reset. he says the list of day one bug fixes is long so hes interested to see how the shipped version performs. if the patch doesnt live up to its claims then it sounds like the game is going to be a mess, especially for poop-sockers.

He didn't even notice the terrible stuttering in the XB1 version so I would recommend people wait for a better comparison.

tuxfool

Banned

AFAIK he is the only one that says that. I'd definitely wait for a DF article if you're on the fence.

Does anything constructive ever come out of these types of threads? Why can't people just enjoy what they have and leave it at that.

I know, I know, its the Internet. It just seems like there should be an age requirement. :)

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Does anything constructive ever come out of these types of threads? Why can't people just enjoy what they have and leave it at that.

I know, I know, its the Internet. It just seems like there should be an age requirement. :)

Yes. People that own more than one platform can decide which one to purchase.

Piggus

Very well said. It's pretty sad, for sure. But the usual suspects never seem to get it.

Anyway, PS4 definitely looks better, but I expect the XB1 version to have the frame rate advantage due to the dynamic resolution.

Aww, you think we're impressed. That's so adorable!

The dynamic resolution is in place because the XB1 has a weaker GPU. Regardless, all the comparisons suggest that the PS4 version in fact performs better. But I guess we won't know for sure until a proper analysis comes out.

Also relax bro, sheesh. I was just being cheeky.

Golicz

Banned
Consoles always struggle for power. It's just optimization that improves as the years go on, allowing devs to seemingly push the hardware further. Really, they're just implementing tech in more efficient ways. It's not like they used to say "Let's only use 80% of the hardware for our first game, so the sequels can look better later on."

This is true, because we can use Mass Effect on the Xbox 360 last gen as a good example of a game with stuttering framerate, texture pop-in & various other technical problems back when it was released in 2007, compared to GTA 5 (huge open world) on the same console six years later which ran a lot better.

From my own perspective, the Witcher 3 looks good on PS4, which is the console I'll be playing it on (I won't comment on framerate drops until I've actually played the game).

I'll get this on Xbox One after a few months when it can be patched up and the price drops. Looks good on both and I'm sure like most games slightly better on PS4 technically, but not enough for me to care.

I still think it looks damn good on the consoles. I'll be very happy on PC with a little longer drawl distance, 60FPS and faster loading.

geordiemp

Was abut to order this today on Ps4.

Will hold off for a week or 2 and see what transpires, cant stand playing games with dodgy frame rate, gives me head aches.

When is DF article up ?

Feindflug

Does it?
What about Oblivion on the 360?

This, not to mention that last gen we got RDR after 5 years and GTAV after 8 years which btw shits all over GTAIV from a technical standpoint.

People who think that the consoles have reached their peak already are delusional.

Ushay

Don't you see the stuttering in the Xbox version? There's quite a lot of it

I'm not trying to pull your leg here, but no I don't. It looks gorgeous on both platforms for me. Things like minor judder don't really bother, it's when we get Unity levels of lag I start to worry. That being said, a rock solid 30 fps does look v nice

I'm sure CDP will update any performance niggles they encounter, they've oitdone themselves here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom