• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 | Review Thread

viveks86

You can PM me all the reviews with links that are missing, I thought those reviews in the OP are enough to get a good impression of the game.

Review thread OPs are used as an index for as many reviews as possible. So it is kind of on you to keep it updated for half a day at least. Just my 2 cents

QaaQer

I don't really see what's hilarious about it or why people are being so derisive in bringing this up:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132704069&postcount=310

This is from October. There's a couple of things worth touching on there. One, the game may have indeed been in a troubled state but still turned out ok. 10/10 reviews don't necessarily mean that production was smooth. Two, if working conditions were bad then they were bad. Just because we are getting a great product as a result doesn't undermine complaints about long crunch times.

Or, maybe the person was jaded and exaggerating out of bitterness. I don't know. A number of things could be at play here. But just because the final product delivered doesn't mean that these posts are automatically BS.

Poland has the longest working hours of any country in the world, so when someone there complains about working conditions being worse than normal...

eNkYdCL.gif

breakfuss

I want to see more straight-up combat videos.

Combat is huge for me and seems the reviews don't all agree on how good/clunky it is.

Also - are the "fatalities" totally random? Do you have any control over which ones occur? Or are they just randomly selected when you strike a killing blow, like in Skyrim?

Same. Combat is what matters most to me and it's hard to grasp without actually playing. It's what I disliked most about DA:I and I'm hesitant to make the same mistake again.

Oh, and I watched most of the linked video reviews and honestly cannot remember what was shown minutes later lol. Not sure how they're "spoiler-ridden" if you don't have any context.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I was hoping that this game would be good. Glad that reviews so far seem to indicate that it's pretty amazing. I'm now wondering how well my shiny new 970 will be able to handle this game.

Lunar15

Any word on whether the game is any less chauvinistic or sexist than 1 & 2?

Sounds like Kotaku found some stuff they didn't love, but I didn't read it due to spoilers. You actually play as Ciri, Geralt's adopted daughter, for some of it, but at the end of the day, you're going to be going around, having sex with more than one woman, and there will be women wearing revealing outfits here and there.

You won't be collecting sex trading cards like the first one, though.

Was Witcher 2 that chauvinist/sexist? I mean, TW1 literally had trading cards you collected for each woman you slept with, but I don't remember that in TW2. You could have sex with prostitutes, of course.

Sounds like Kotaku found some stuff they didn't love, but I didn't read it due to spoilers. You actually play as Ciri, Geralt's adopted daughter, for some of it, but at the end of the day, you're going to be going around, having sex with more than one woman, and there will be women wearing revealing outfits here and there.

In my Witcher 2 playthrough Geralt only had eyes for Triss!

Not sure which parts exactly set you off, but while there is a brothel, other opportunities for sex scenes I came across are much more centered around important relationships, not just for a romp. Also, there are quite a few strong female characters and there are times when you as a player are asked to trust their judgment and their ability to handle themselves.

Tukker

Thats disappointing. I liked to collect those cards and they were actually classy.

So I keep reading that folks didn't like the combat from The Witcher 2. Could someone explain it to me why they thought it was so bad? Personally, I really liked it. Sure, it's difficult, but I thought it was greatly satisfying to prep for a fight, then mix up my melee combat with magic.

Was it a console thing? I only got to play it on PC with M/K.

Bossniak

Gotta plough em all, its the Witcher way.

Lunar15

So I keep reading that folks didn't like the combat from The Witcher 2. Could someone explain it to me why they thought it was so bad? Personally, I really liked it. Sure, it's difficult, but I thought it was greatly satisfying to prep for a fight, then mix up my melee combat with magic.

Was it a console thing? I only got to play it on PC with M/K.

As someone who was fine with the combat, the main problem I saw other people mention is that Geralt had a lot of additional animations in his sword swinging, so that when you pressed a button, you were locked to something you couldn't get out of. I'm sure there's other issues people had with it, though.

I've noticed that it seems from reviews it was the PS4 version most sites reviewed - that seems unusual given that MS have the co-marketing agreement on this, don't they? Not trying to start up any system wars; I just find the back-and-forth over marketing deals this gen quite fascinating.

I've noticed that it seems from reviews it was the PS4 version most sites reviewed - that seems unusual given that MS have the co-marketing agreement on this, don't they? Not trying to start up any system wars; I just find the back-and-forth over marketing deals this gen quite fascinating.

The PS4 version was the only one sent out as complete and was only currently playable on debug machines. Whether something foul is afoot remains to be seen. But for now, reviewers aren't just sitting on finished Xbox One reviews.

The PC version also hasn't been reviewed.

watchdog

Looks very promising indeed. I loved The Witcher 2. I'm still kinda concerned about the massive open world aspect of this game instead of the tighter world of The Witcher 2. And I'm also a bit concerned about how it'll run on my 280X. :|

Maximus.

Reviews look great and confirm my purchase and hype. The only thing I worry about is the issue I had with Dragon Age Inquisition (yes yes different game), was that the endless amount of side quests lead to me getting kind of bored/overwhelmed. Hope that doesn't happen here. Everything I have read and seen so far looks great though.

The PS4 version was the only one sent out as complete and was only currently playable on debug machines. Whether something foul is afoot remains to be seen. But for now, reviewers aren't just sitting on finished Xbox One reviews.

The PC version also hasn't been reviewed.

That seems really weird for a CDPR game...

Top Bottom