• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 | Review Thread

Bluenoser

Heh, I mean you can lock Infamous Second Son at 30 FPS and AC4 is a locked 30, but I understand the sentiment. Different scope and whatnot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHjM-TnLlPc&spfreload=10

I think VideoGamer put up a nice video review, and he made it sound like the performance impact really really significant (towards the end of the video). He said that dips happen in all phases of the game, walking in town, combat, riding a horse. Give it a watch if you have time.

So I remain weary, even after that tweet.

That review is WAY too spoliery. Not fond of getting half the plot ruined for me just to hear them whine about the frame rate, thanks.

Fox318

I'm not trying to be that guy, but I always take a wait and see approach with this type of stuff. It's not inspiring that these issues weren't already addressed before review copies were sent out.

They have done a fantastic job on the enhanced editions as free updates plus the GOG service is an example of how to combat steam in the PC space.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Go to the Buy/Trade/Sell thread.

HERE

Look through the last 4 to 5 pages and keep an eye on it. One person recently had it for $25.

I got it for $20 a few weeks ago. I've not seen it lower lately:)

Yeah, I always watch that thread like a hawk when a game releases from an NVIDIA promo.

Chaplain

Heh, I mean you can lock Infamous Second Son at 30 FPS and AC4 is a locked 30, but I understand the sentiment. Different scope and whatnot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHjM-TnLlPc&spfreload=10

I think VideoGamer put up a nice video review, and he made it sound like the performance impact really really significant (towards the end of the video). He said that dips happen in all phases of the game, walking in town, combat, riding a horse. Give it a watch if you have time.

So I remain weary, even after that tweet.

Did you get screen tearing/juddering at the 12:17 mark and on point of the video on your end?

Juddering @ the 12:17 mark

I can't tell if its recorded on the youtube video or if its on my pc.

I don't want the PS4 version now.

I want to play this game on a good PC.

It'll take me a few weeks to save up, but I'm seriously thinking of buying a Titan X for this.

They have done a fantastic job on the enhanced editions as free updates plus the GOG service is an example of how to combat steam in the PC space.

I'm not saying that CDPR hasn't earned any goodwill here. I'm just saying let's not count our chickens before they hatch. Like I said, I don't want to be Mr. Cynical here. But my immediate reaction is that if they have the day one performance patch ready to go now, why wasn't it ready to go for the review copies? It's not impossible, but I just question how much optimization can really occur in such a short timespan.

If they pull it off, great! Either way, it's not really my fight. As I already said, I'm getting it on PC. So what do I care about the PS4 patch?

Savitar

Speaking of Ciri why she look like Geralt? Is she his daughter or some shit?

Witchers can't have kids, they're sterile. As for Ciri he did help raise her so that explains some of it, plus the scar thats on his face is more or less a nod to her as originally she had it and he didn't I believe.

bombshell

YcFofKl.png

Good, I hope it's true.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
You can jump in without the first 2. Obviously having played those would make the universe even more understandable but there's an intro explaining everything

Good to know, even though I've got 2 sitting in my backlog. About how many hours to finish 2? I may give it a go until this drops.

Fox318

I'm not saying that CDPR hasn't earned any goodwill here. I'm just saying let's not count our chickens before they hatch. Like I said, I don't want to be Mr. Cynical here. But my immediate reaction is that if they have the day one performance patch ready to go now, why wasn't it ready to go for the review copies? It's not impossible, but I just question how much optimization can really occur in such a short timespan.

If they pull it off, great! Either way, it's not really my fight. As I already said, I'm getting it on PC. So what do I care about the PS4 patch?

You are right to cynical but I have a little more faith in CDPR to get things right on the PC side.

The console front I feel like is a complete mess because of cert but I hope for everyone's sake that the game can run without any technical issues.

You are right to cynical but I have a little more faith in CDPR to get things right on the PC side.

The console front I feel like is a complete mess because of cert but I hope for everyone's sake that the game can run without any technical issues.
Its a complete mess on the consoles?

Wasn't planning on buying this since I didn't finish The Witcher 2 (got to act 2) but now I feel like I should get this. I guess I need to finish the second?
Also my PC is rocking a 4670k and a gtx 670, would I be better buying the PC or PS4 version?

misho8723

Banned
http://www.stuff.tv/witcher-3-wild-hunt/review 5/5

"I’m fed up of games that are huge for the sake of it. Games that make a big song and dance of how many hundreds of hours of “entertainment” their sprawling worlds contain without realising that spending most of that time traipsing around a boring environment picking up pointless collectibles isn’t actually very entertaining. At all.

Thankfully, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt isn’t that sort of game."

Lunar15

Hmm. Then how the hell she looks just like him?

White hair comes from genetic mutation, I believe. Geralt's hair isn't naturally white either, it just became so after he underwent Witcher training as a child. I didn't read the books, so I'm not the expert on this.

Kosma

Banned

The way through qa is long for consoles, everything needs to be checked again. For a game this size... Week or two of work at least.

OtisInf

Optimizing code is a process that never ends, I think they first moved to a goal where they could ship a gold master and then started fixing bugs and added tweaks (as those aren't without risks, something might break etc.).

I'm with you on holding off for the moment though. CDPR doesn't exactly have a good trackrecord with respect to releasing a game without big issues, if we look at the previous two games. In the end everything comes together fine, but the previous two took time to mature (like good wine ;)), and it would surprise me if the 3rd is suddenly different.

ShinMaruku

White hair comes from genetic mutation, I believe. Geralt's hair isn't naturally white either, it just became so after he underwent Witcher training as a child. I didn't read the books, so I'm not the expert on this.

The white hair comes from stress and events that I can't discuss but read the novels. but her original hair was ashen. As to the scar well that's just coincidental.

Geralts hair is white due to witcher ritual

I see.
And supposedly she's the main character for the next games no?

SaberEdge

I really loved the first two Witcher games and it's really nice to see such high scores for the Witcher 3. I'm happy other people are enjoying it so much. Those are some amazingly positive reviews.

ISee

Wasn't planning on buying this since I didn't finish The Witcher 2 (got to act 2) but now I feel like I should get this. I guess I need to finish the second?
Also my PC is rocking a 4670k and a gtx 670, would I be better buying the PC or PS4 version?

Normaly I'd say PC (you should get at leat PS4 performance; probably better) BUT just wait untill we get some PC benchmarks. Then decide.

Grief.exe

The Witcher 1 and 2 both have really slow starts, I wouldn't bother playing them now.
670 should be comparable to the PS4.

Top Bottom