• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 | Review Thread

So based on the IGN review this is a great open-world game if that's your thing, if you want to tight and focused RPG with a good main-quest line though it may not be all that great. Also several reviews have mentioned bugs. Starting to think I should wait a month for them to release another patch.

Wrong. this is cRPG when u have true sidequests - forgotten anchient stuff dude

The way through qa is long for consoles, everything needs to be checked again. For a game this size... Week or two of work at least.

OK, sure. But these aren't retail copies where a patch should need to be downloaded through PSN. The current batch of review copies were apparently only playable on debug PS4s. Again, I'm not saying that they're blatantly lying here. I'm just always skeptical of taking someone's word on something like this when the current evidence is to the contrary and the only assurance we have is that there will be a performance patch. What might be more reassuring? A side by side comparison pre and post patch.

Anyone who wants to get caught up, honestly its probably better to watch the retrospectives now than play Witcher 1 and 2. They are both decently long games and while excellent they do start a bit slow. Also the first ones gameplay is janky as hell.

For sure watch some recaps though as the plot is decently complex and deep.

Game4life

Banned
Anyone who wants to get caught up, honestly its probably better to watch the retrospectives now than play Witcher 1 and 2. They are both decently long games and while excellent they do start a bit slow. Also the first ones gameplay is janky as hell.

The third game summarizes the events of the first two well does it not?

No. But you can use my screenshots as wallpaper

lol

I see.
And supposedly she's the main character for the next games no?

Not confirmed but since this is the final game with Geralt it would make a lot of sense. Especially as they've said there will likely be more games set in this universe.

The third game summarizes the events of the first two well does it not?

From everything thats been said yes, just not sure if it will be as deep as the retrospectives are.

YcFofKl.png

Awesome

Kosma

Banned
OK, sure. But these aren't retail copies where a patch should need to be downloaded through PSN. The current batch of review copies were apparently only playable on debug PS4s. Again, I'm not saying that they're blatantly lying here. I'm just always skeptical of taking someone's word on something like this when the current evidence is to the contrary and the only assurance we have is that there will be a performance patch. What might be more reassuring? A side by side comparison pre and post patch.

Sure, I don't have experience with what kind of builds/versions reviewers get. Just commenting on the qa.

Im not expecting miracles from the patch, game will still have many sub 30 drops on consoles prob.

Its good to be skeptical but cdpr has been so up front on most things that I dont think they would squander that goodwill lying over a patch like this. Do you?

ShinMaruku

We don't know yet, but is very possible thats the case. She is as important as Geralt in the books in the middle of the story.

Not confirmed but since this is the final game with Geralt it would make a lot of sense. Especially as they've said there will likely be more games set in this universe.

From everything thats been said yes, just not sure if it will be as deep as the retrospectives are.
Thanks for the answers. :)

Flipyap

Speaking of Ciri why she look like Geralt? Is she his daughter or some shit?
She's not his biological daughter and her hair is supposed to be natural grey (as opposed to Geralt's pure white). It's a rare elven hair color, a trace of her remote ancestry.

Personally, since The Witcher takes place in a fairy tale world, I'd also bet on destiny having something to do with her being born like this, to make it easier to get it through Geralt's thick skull that he won't escape the destiny he requested for himself.

Damn it all. I was going to wait for a price drop for this. Now I have to get it day one.

console? BB doing $10 reward credit with preorder and it stacks with GCU. OR Target giving away copy of guide with every purchase.

PC? get a nvidia code from B/S/T or ebay

Are there any in particular you would recommend? I'd like to get caught up.

RDreamer

The similar trait being white hair?
I dont remember well if its only a trait of princesses born in the cintra family or just to make her stand out as special in the books.
Becuase she is OP as hell.

I just think of it as it's because their destinies are inextricably intertwined. She's a child of the law of surprises, which makes them destined. Geralt and Ciri are destined and something even more. Asking why their hair is similar is sillier to me than asking why, in the books, they, completely by chance, are able to meet up so many times like they do. It's destiny. That was kind of the entire theme of their relationship in the books.

I'm not saying it's silly for this person here to ask that, because they probably haven't at all read the books, so it's understandable. I'm just trying to say that hair color isn't some strange coincidence out of nowhere that doesn't make sense. It makes sense within lore.

VinFTW

Hey, JUST got to this thread. Some quick questions, sorry if they've been answered a million times:

Is it safe to pick up the PS4 version? Or should I grab the X1 version?

Dynasty8

Still curious as to how the X1 version performs. Buying the game is a no brainer, but I'm debating on which console I should get it for. Don't care about all the resolution nonsense, mainly concerned for performance.

I think that the PS4 version is looking really great - PC player here

Damn...looks awesome.

stabiliser

Neo Member
Hey, JUST got to this thread. Some quick questions, sorry if they've been answered a million times:

all review copies were for PS4 Debug so not much is known about X1 version besides that it has "dynamic Scaling" resolution (game switches from 900p to 1080p depending on scene)

No one knows yet. No copies of the XBO version have gotten out. The only certainty we know at the moment is that at the very least the PS4 version has framerate issues, but a day one patch will be available to help it. Performance for XBO/PC is unknown.

drotahorror

I think that the PS4 version is looking really great - PC player here

That's a lot of pictures in one post man.

Does anyone know the differences in difficulty modes? Have they been mentioned in any of the reviews?

Also, I'd be interested in hearing a recap of the story does anyone have a video to suggest?

bombshell

Considering every review is for the PS4 and it's getting these scores, I'd say it's safe to get that version :)

There was also this a page or two back:

YcFofKl.png

VinFTW

No one knows yet. No copies of the XBO version have gotten out. The only certainty we know at the moment is that at the very least the PS4 version has framerate issues, but a day one patch will be available to help it. Performance for XBO/PC is unknown.

all review copies were for PS4 Debug so not much is known about X1 version besides that it has "dynamic Scaling" resolution (game switches from 900p to 1080p depending on scene)

Alright thanks you two.

I won't get it till maybe a few days after launch to make sure it runs well on PS4 after the day 1 patch.

If not I'll grab on X1 (if there are no issues there of course).

Considering every review is for the PS4 and it's getting these scores, I'd say it's safe to get that version :)

There was also this a page or two back:

YcFofKl.png

Excellent, thanks! Leaning towards PS4 version. I'm sure the day 1 patch will fix the FR issues.

So I've been hearing that this game is open-world so I just gotta ask... is it like Skyrim with one huge map or is it "open word" like Witcher 2 with a bunch of rather large disconnected maps.

So I've been hearing that this game is open-world so I just gotta ask... is it like Skyrim with one huge map or is it "open word" like Witcher 2 with a bunch of rather large disconnected maps.

Open World like Skyrim. There's a loading screen between the two "zones" which is to have the game load it but also makes sense as they are far apart and not connecting.

Also there are a few smaller story specific areas. But all in all its a huge open world game like Skyrim

I just think of it as it's because their destinies are inextricably intertwined. She's a child of the law of surprises, which makes them destined. Geralt and Ciri are destined and something even more. Asking why their hair is similar is sillier to me than asking why, in the books, they, completely by chance, are able to meet up so many times like they do. It's destiny. That was kind of the entire theme of their relationship in the books.

I'm not saying it's silly for this person here to ask that, because they probably haven't at all read the books, so it's understandable. I'm just trying to say that hair color isn't some strange coincidence out of nowhere that doesn't make sense. It makes sense within lore.

That actually makes sense and I had never thoight of that while reading the books.

Kaldea

I'm happy TW3 is getting great reviews. I don't normally pay close attention to scores, but it's nice.

The last few days are always the hardest to wait through. :(

Top Bottom