• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 runs at 1080p ULTRA ~60 fps on a 980

$500 will get me 1080p Ultra at 60 FPS.
If the game looks like the reveal trailer on Ultra that seems like a good deal.

I wonder if we could expect similar results with Batman.

ref

This is going to be so glorious on my 1440p, 144hz SLI 980 rig.

Great to see though it runs at 60 on a single though, seems like it will be optimized well, like the last game.

GHG

Gold Member
It kind of does. No way the VGX trailer graphics would run 1080/60 fps on a single 980.

You are saying that based on what exactly? If they have worked on optimising the game for the hardware stated in the OP then why not?

Also, read the OP again. It says almost.

There will be scenarios where the game will not run at 60fps based on what it is going on in a particular scene or the TOD/weather at any given time.

Kinthalis

Banned
Time to buy Titan X then...

do we have a video showing hairworks in Witcher 3?(for human characters I mean. not that old wolf gif)

also is this the first game to use Hairworks for human characters? I can see it tanking the framerate on Ultra if it used for multiple characters (and not just Geralt) like TressFX on Lichdom: Battlemage (unless it's less demanding than AMD tressfx).

I think this would be the first game... at least I can't think of any other games using Nvidia's hair tech.

I know the wolfs will use it too, and possibly other fur models, like armor. Not sure about other character's hair. Quite possibly not for the issue you mention. Too many characters on screena t a time (say at a town) is likley to cause issues.

Then again, who knows, there might be some sort of smart LOD system in there for hairworks. Only characters/monster that are close to Geralt get physics hair,a nd as you move away it goes back to the standard mesh.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I kind of hate my 780Ti. Cost so much money, and was quickly made obsolete by the cheaper 980 card. Don't really want to upgrade only a year after buying my card just for a game that I likely won't really get that invested in anyway. I've been looking for anything that could put my card through its paces and now that it's here, I'll have to ditch this card to actually run the game on max settings? PC master race indeed.

Klossen

Banned
I kind of hate my 780Ti. Cost so much money, and was quickly made obsolete by the cheaper 980 card. Don't really want to upgrade only a year after buying my card just for a game that I likely won't really get that invested in anyway. I've been looking for anything that could put my card through its paces and now that it's here, I'll have to ditch this card to actually run the game on max settings? PC master race indeed.

I really feel bad for 780Ti owners. Barely better than a 970 (with 0.5GB less VRAM even) and cost twice as much. I completely understand you being bitter. I guess lesson is never to buy top-tier GPUs as they drop in value so incredibly fast.

GHG

Gold Member
I really feel bad for 780Ti owners. Barely better than a 970 (with 0.5GB less VRAM even) and cost twice as much. I completely understand you being bitter. I guess lesson is never to buy top-tier GPUs as they drop in value so incredibly fast.

If you buy top end you need to trade up every time the next top end card comes out to maintain your investment somewhat.

Eesh man that sounds terrible :(

Enosh

nice, should be able to get some mix of medium and high with my 960 then ^^ (no AA and stuff of course)

Kezen

Banned

I don't see how you could have expected your card to run all games at max settings and 60fps. Ultra settings are meant to drive GPU demands.
Your 780ti will certainly run the game well but probably at high/ultra settings.

It's a very typical case of inflated expectations I was talking about earlier, max settings require to upgrade very regularly and that's very good. It gives people a reason to upgrade and people will lesser machines can still play the game just fine at lower settings.
Scalability is beautiful.

Dargor

I guess thats the price of freedom lol ;P

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

780ti was the worst upgrade I have ever done.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Time to buy Titan X then...

do we have a video showing hairworks in Witcher 3?(for human characters I mean. not that old wolf gif)

also is this the first game to use Hairworks for human characters? good that even with hairworks it keep a good framerate on Ultra, TressFX on Lichdom: Battlemage tanked the framerate (guess Nvidia solution is less demanding than AMD tressfx).

Isn't TressFX 2.0 supposed to be quite a bit more optimized? The first iteration is kinda iffy yeah, brings my solid 60 in Tomb Raider down to 40-45ish

Xando

Gamestar will have a livestream tomorrow at 16:30 german time.
The guy who played 2 days of witcher 3 will answer questions.

That makes me even happier for buying a 980 (and selling my PS4) last week, hopefully my i7 950 @ 4Ghz and 6GB RAM won't hold me back, but they haven't so far!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Isn't TressFX 2.0 supposed to be quite a bit more optimized? The first iteration is kinda iffy yeah, brings my solid 60 in Tomb Raider down to 40-45ish

don't know but Lichdom (it supposed to use TressFX 2.0) still drop my framerate just like Tomb Raider... but it's maybe because I use an nvidia card(sc 780) and not an amd so maybe tressfx 2 work better on amd? dunno.

belmonkey

It seems to be quite a bit more optimized, if this slide is correct:

gs4147-tressfx-20-by-billbilodeau-22-638.jpg

(Bigger version: http://www.hardwareluxx.de/images/stories/newsbilder/aschilling/2013/apu14-tressfx-7.jpg)

DJ_Lae

This game will be a good test to see just how much my 7970 is in need of an upgrade. It's held up remarkably well so far but I'm due for something new later this year. Hopefully the Witcher 3 runs acceptably on it until then.

I think you mean vocal minority ;) Or maybe not, the sentiment really is rampant.

Crysis suffered form this too. Everyone complained that they couldn't run it at max with their high end gear, never stopping to take a look and realize that even at medium settings the game looked BETTER THAN ANY OTHER GAME ON ANY PLATFORM EVER.

Jeebus.

Pretty much. I don't expect the same gap, but I do expect this game to be a stunner.

Surbii

Banned
I guess it's time to overclock the 970 and 4960k. Is this a bad idea if I only have a 550W PSU?

Edit: woops, I meant 4690k.

Waxwing

Lower than this. There is more than a 10-15fps difference between a 780 a 980 in most games.

Arghhh...you're supposed to say "Sure, easily."

Well, I'll try the usual standbys...lowering shadow fidelity and other bells and whistles. Maybe even try 1680x1050.

Looks like I might be picking up a second 970 (yeah yeah but it only has 3.5GB vram blah blah). I will wait to see what my current OC'd 970 can do at 1080p

Kezen

Banned
Arghhh...you're supposed to say "Sure, easily."

Well, I'll try the usual standbys...lowering shadow fidelity and other bells and whistles. Maybe even try 1680x1050.

I won't project my own preferences onto you but dropping the res below my monitor's native one is definitely not something I'd do. You know, it's not that easy to extrapolate from one figure so don't take my word for anything yet, okay ?
It's going to be just fine...But not ultra/60fps fine that's all.

High settings should run well if this is console-settings which should already look good enough.

As usual my only "fear" in the graphical department is af, the promotional shots don't seem to have 16xaf, I hope I'll be able to force it without breaking anything. For some reason forcing it causes some weird artefacts in The Witcher 2.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It seems to be quite a bit more optimized, if this slide is correct:

gs4147-tressfx-20-by-billbilodeau-22-638.jpg

(Bigger version: http://www.hardwareluxx.de/images/stories/newsbilder/aschilling/2013/apu14-tressfx-7.jpg)

Wow, especially at the speed gains on the 280x.

don't know but Lichdom (it supposed to use TressFX 2.0) still drop my framerate just like Tomb Raider... but it's maybe because I use an nvidia card(sc 780) and not an amd so maybe tressfx 2 work better on amd? dunno.

Yeah it's optimized for AMD gpus.

Your 780Ti will likely be plenty powerful enough to play TW3 either at high and ~60fps, or ultra at probably ~45-55 fps.

I don't mean to come across as callous, but if your expectation is that you should be able to run the newest games at ultra settings and get 60fps, you'd better be ready to shell out $600-$700 per year, minimum. And that's just at 1080p.

kharma45

I guess it's time to overclock the 970 and 4960k. Is this a bad idea if I only have a 550W PSU?

Edit: woops, I meant 4690k.

I would be very careful if I was you. Better not take any chances.

Thanks. I might hold off and buy a new PSU.

You absolutely don't need a PSU. You can overclock both and still have plenty of PSU headroom to spare.

Overclock away and enjoy the performance gains. Your PSU, providing it isn't some generic junk, isn't an issue in the slightest.

Top Bottom