• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 vs. Bloodborne

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• The Witcher 3

Votes: 458 51.1%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 438 48.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Explanation
Below 20 FPSUnplayableJerky animation, "lag" and "stutter".
20-30 FPSBorderlineOk for some, too "laggy" for others. AKA "Bloodborne".
30-45 FPSPlayableAcceptable to most people. Not very good though!
45-60 FPSSmoothFluid animation, no "lag".
60-90 FPSVery SmoothVery smooth is very smooth to almost everyone.
90-144 FPSSilky SmoothCriminally smooth. For hardcore and professional players.
144-200 FPSButtery SmoothThe smoothest of smooth. When you need a constant framerate on a 144 Hz monitor. AKA "The Witcher 3".

The Witcher 3 is quite possibly the greatest game ever made!

the-city-cyberpunk-art-fiction-wallpaper-preview.jpg

PC Gamers knows what's up... :messenger_smirking:

turtlepowa

Banned
You can't be serious. Why would you do that? Do you do the same on elections? Vote for the candidate that's the most popular? C'mon now.
That was just a bonus, would have voted for Witcher 3 anyways. But why not? Popularity is also a factor in my opninion and your election example is bad, because you just have some poll values and no exact numbers. Clinton for example led Trump so this means nothing.

Kumomeme

i rather prefer gameplay as most important aspect, especially good responsive control and weight

so bloodborne is my choice.

witcher 3 on other hand has janky and clunky animation, less responsive, no proper weight when running, troubled hit box and hit weight. no matter how good the story, large portion of the game still all about gameplay. and worst horse ever for me.

i rather take good gameplay with bad story than vice versa, like dragons dogma for example.

Last edited:

borborygmus

Explanation
144-200 FPSButtery SmoothThe smoothest of smooth. When you need a constant framerate on a 144 Hz monitor. AKA "The Witcher 3".

High FPS can represent low FPS motion just like high res can accurately represent low res images. Witcher 3 combat is sluggish and your 144Hz view of its ~20fps input processing is not beneficial although I'm sure it's fun to move the camera around smoothly while Geralt catches up.

People fail to realize. just because bloodborne or any soulsborne game doesn't have intricate cut scenes, jaw dropping emotional characters. Doesn't mean they don't have rich and immersive stories of good if not excellent quality. what makes bloodborne so good, isn't just graphics, attention to detail, atmosphere and dialog. it's the world itself, there is a reason why you have so many content creators on YouTube. who discover and piece together the story from dialog and item descriptions. And sorry but the freaking combat pales in comparison to bloodborne sorry Witcher fanboys not sorry 😁

Kumomeme

Explanation

The Witcher 3 is quite possibly the greatest game ever made!

the-city-cyberpunk-art-fiction-wallpaper-preview.jpg

PC Gamers knows what's up... :messenger_smirking:
framerate wont fix responsive issue. witcher 3 has problem with this.

shoegaze

Witcher 3 set the bar for RPG games. It’s the benchmark that every other game of the genre is going to have to match. And they will, eventually. They’ll have to, if they want to sell.

Bloodborne though - we’ll never get another Bloodborne. It’s an absolutely unique experience without equals. It will never be bested and forevermore sit amongst the greatest games ever conceived in the minds of men.

Bogey

Banned
Bloodborne is unique.

Is it though, in a world where Demon Souls and Dark Souls exist?

I know I'll get hammered for this. Yes, certainly they're not identical. Combat flow in particular differs noticeably.
But general atmosphere, the way in which its story is told, and many core gameplay mechanics are near identical. To me, Bloodborne is more like Dark Souls improved, rather than something entirely unique and new.

RedVIper

Banned
Witcher 3 set the bar for RPG games. It’s the benchmark that every other game of the genre is going to have to match. And they will, eventually. They’ll have to, if they want to sell.

I wish this was true, but the game came out 5 years ago and RPGs didn't evolve in any meaningful way.

Terenty

The hyperbole in this thread is off the charts. It's like people started playing in 2015 and these are their first games or something. Maybe that's the case.

Witcher 3 didn't raise any bars for rpgs, because it's barely one at all.

Bloodborne is not perfection, it's a dumped down Dark Souls with another paint of coat.

In the end i voted for Bloodborne cause atleast i finished it, unlike W3

Bogey

Banned
Name me another game that starts off as a Victorian gothic horror, and segues into a Lovecraftian cosmic fantasy? Bloodborne’s story and setting are absolutely unique.

Don't get me wrong, Bloodborne is a great game. And yea, it's theme is relatively under-utilized in gaming (albeit you will of course find other games set in Victorian settings).

But imagine Assassin's Creed: Valhalla was the first and only Viking-themed game ever. Would you call it unique though, after having played Odysee and Origins?

That's why Bloodborne doesn't have that novelty factor to me. It's an absolutely great game, it has a fantastic theme. But when playing, it doesn't feel like "whoa, I've never played anything like this before' to me.

martino

Don't get me wrong, Bloodborne is a great game. And yea, it's theme is relatively under-utilized in gaming (albeit you will of course find other games set in Victorian settings).

But imagine Assassin's Creed: Valhalla was the first and only Viking-themed game ever. Would you call it unique though, after having played Odysee and Origins?

That's why Bloodborne doesn't have that novelty factor to me. It's an absolutely great game, it has a fantastic theme. But when playing, it doesn't feel like "whoa, I've never played anything like this before' to me.
really good example.
especially when the formula and scope is already achieved (and in a better way imo) the previous gen.

Kumomeme

Bloodborne though - we’ll never get another Bloodborne. It’s an absolutely unique experience without equals. It will never be bested and forevermore sit amongst the greatest games ever conceived in the minds of men.

while this not something only specific to bloodborne, but soul series as whole also kind of set bar for combat in videogame. there always be a game, or rpg that atleast take note or has 'souls game' influence in combat. even witcher 3 also kind of has inspiration for its combat system.

Last edited:

KiteGr

Yup! This pretty much sums up my reasons for voting bloodborne.

W3 took an existing fantasy RPG concept and did it fantastically, with good story, smart side-quests, no political correctness and a brutal gigantic world.

BB on the other hand was designed more like a piece of art. It took the Lovecraftian horror concept that it's rarely done, and even more rarely done well, gave it an amazing combat, told the story without dialogue and expository cutscenes, and generally did took the rarest course of action in every aspect.

W3 is an RPG that went to the next level, but BB is something experienced once in a lifetime!

Then you have to understand. it's the closest to Lovecraft horror than most games strive to be but ultimately fail at. not hating on the sinking city, or call of cthulhu, but they just weren't exactly what you want or find in a Lovecraft inspired game at the level of polish and detail bloodborne is given. It's also comes out as twist as well, in game that at first was being marketed as a werewolf/beast inspired souls title. As most have said before me, we will never see a game as unique as bloodborne is.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I voted for Witcher 3 but I would be lying if I said I don't respect Bloodborne. Never played the game past the first boss due to lack of interest but I gotta respect the community on this one. If BB wins, then it deserves it. It's probably the best Sony game of all time.

Roberts

It is not like I think graphics are super important when judging game, but BB's graphical shortfalls are unfortunate - It's just really hard to get back to it even though it is a great, great game. So I went with Witcher 3. I've spent god knows how many hours playing it and it never got old or boring. Also, Blood and Wine is by far the best DLC I have ever played.

sircaw

Banned
Loved the witcher but its not a Bloodborne.

After completing both games i can honestly say they are both masterpieces but BB is something truly special.

It's like a box of secrets that unwind over time and after watching countless videos online i am still finding things that wow me, its really really special.

Last edited:

martino

If Bloodborne wasn't an exclusive, it wouldn't be leading this poll, imho.
there is time.
it's a 20M played game vs 2M one
i now ps fan are over-represented here but i have even more doubt it's enough for BB to win over witcher3 if it is unworthy.
So if BB wins it will show how great it is (even if i personally disagree)

Last edited:

DJT123

there is time.
it's a 20M played game vs 2M one
i now ps fan are over-represented here but i have even more doubt it's enough for BB to win over witcher3 if he is unworthy.
So if BB wins it will show how great it is (even if i personally disagree)
Lol, good point. Bottom line is that no-one can dispute Bloodbornes quality, like it or not.

Rickyiez

Eh Disagree . Even if an Assasin Creed did a Lovecraftian Gothic Victorian game first , I will still not touch it within a 10 foot pole . Bloodborne and FromSoftware is special , from the creature and level design , boss fight , world transition , trick weapons , gameplay loop and OST ... Assasin Creed can only dream to be as good .

Not even gonna bother with the heartfelt "both are really good games but..."

Bloodborne ruined Witcher 3. I played them around the same time. The terrible combat and meandering quest structure of W3 put me off from wanting to invest more time, so I eventually gave up after 20-30 hours, after having played and beaten W1 and W2 multiple times. Big disappointment for me, the "Mass Effect 3" of the franchise.

Bloodborne, on the other hand, somehow topped the quality of previous Souls games and became my favorite in the franchise. The emphasis on player reflexes and knowledge instead of stat-tweaking was preferable to how Souls handled the RPG elements. Plus the theme is uncommon in gaming, something we would normally only see in a Castlevania or a mid-budget Call of Cthulhu title.

Top Bottom