• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 vs. Bloodborne

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• The Witcher 3

Votes: 458 51.1%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 438 48.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Having played and enjoyed both, Bloodborne takes my vote... too bad I can't vote.

Witcher 3 running on PC at max settings + 60fps + a couple of mods (HD Reworked, Phoenix lighting mod, etc.) is an otherworldly experience. Sure, the combat is nothing special, but everything else more than makes up for it. The first time I came across the enslaved witcher underneath Temple Isle was such a sad and solemn encounter. Cantering through Skellige with Roach leaves me in awe of the natural beauty on display to the point where I frequently get sidetracked taking photos with Nvidia Ansel. The game was filled with unforgettable moments just like that.

Bloodborne, on the other hand, hits all the marks and has one of the best stories and lore to date. The art direction and combat are just the cherry on top. On top of that, the Old Hunter's DLC can easily trade blows with the DLC for the Witcher 3 and somehow manages to one-up the content in the base game. Fighting the once noble Ludwig and hearing the symphony swell and dip as your character ducks under swings from the Holy Moonlight Greatsword has to be one of the greatest moments in videogame history. Coming to the horrific realization that the Healing Church is responsible for the scourge of the beast left me in legitimate shock. While Bloodborne doesn't have as much content as the Witcher 3, what's there is masterfully crafted. Aside from performance hiccups and Chalice Dungeon bullshitery, I'm honestly left wanting for nothing with Bloodborne. It is the complete package.

Whatever the outcome, congratulations to the victor -- these are both fantastic games.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This is officially Sonygaf

DcOC4oh.jpg

Seath more.

Ellery

I love seeing how close this is and reading the comments of people arguing over which of those games is objectively better using their own metrics of enjoyment trying to convince others or stating it in confidence to hold extra weight.

Easy choice. Combat in The Witcher sucked, Geralt's raspy voice was super annoying, and the music was lame, too. Combat in Bloodborne was great, my character never opened his mouth and the music was great too.

Last edited:
Arachnid Arachnid @SLoWMoTIoN I didn't get into the axe until several playthroughs later. Tons of fun, goofin on enemies when you know all the attack patterns.

I love seeing how close this is and reading the comments of people arguing over which of those games is objectively better using their own metrics of enjoyment trying to convince others or stating it in confidence to hold extra weight.
Yes. This is a forum.

Kamina

Golden Boy
This is a forum, we discuss opinions here.
If you prefer a single-opinion hive mind there is always ResetEra, aka The Borg Collective.

Explanation
Below 20 FPSUnplayableJerky animation, "lag" and "stutter".
20-30 FPSBorderlineOk for some, too "laggy" for others. AKA "Bloodborne".
30-45 FPSPlayableAcceptable to most people. Not very good though!
45-60 FPSSmoothFluid animation, no "lag".
60-90 FPSVery SmoothVery smooth is very smooth to almost everyone.
90-144 FPSSilky SmoothCriminally smooth. For hardcore and professional players.
144-200 FPSButtery SmoothThe smoothest of smooth. When you need a constant framerate on a 144 Hz monitor. AKA "The Witcher 3".

The Witcher 3 is quite possibly the greatest game ever made!

the-city-cyberpunk-art-fiction-wallpaper-preview.jpg

PC Gamers knows what's up... :messenger_smirking:
In what world is 45-60 acceptable? I‘d choose stable 30 fps over unstable fps jumping between 45 and 60 any time.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Never played Bloodborne; excited to try it as part of the PS5 PS+ promotion..

.. but I do adore Witcher 3.. it's just an awesome world to run around in and fuck around and do some questing in.

So while not entirely fair, had to vote for W3 as I have a hard time believing BB will top it for me.

martino

In what world is 45-60 acceptable? I‘d choose stable 30 fps over unstable fps jumping between 45 and 60 any time.
on consoles it was (but it can change this gen thanks to hdmi 2.1)
on pc with freesync, gsync or vrr it is.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Tightening up now. Witcher 3 should take this imo, and I think over time it will be reflected. Already if this was two years ago I could see Bloodborne having a large lead. It's close, but I still think W3 should nose it.

I usually use an axe on any game that lets me wield one. Sad so many modern games don't let you use a giant axe...or a tiny one.
Lot of games don't let you play dwarves either. Correlation, I think. Most games use the same kind of weapons, the ones that look cool and get used in movies. Can't think of many games where maces, war hammers, or polearms are used prominently either (compared to swords).

MUH NIPPON STEEL MUH EURO CROMWELL

In PC gaming on a generic monitor. A stable 30 FPS (locked via RTSS or in-game limiter) is unplayable because of the horrible framepacing and the surprisingly unresponsive input of the controls.

45 - 60 is infinitely better. Especially with Freesynch. A locked 60 is optimal, though the more the better depending on your refresh rate.

DogofWar

Oh my God what a matchup, my nr 1 and 3 games this generation.

Bloodborne wins, but that does not mean that Witcher 3 is anything but a masterpiece and the best RPG in modern times. But Bloodborne is THE best game I have played maybe even counting last gen as well. The combat, the story (because there is story you low insight plebs!), the FEAR I felt in certain parts, and when you finally start to put the pieces together after several playthroughs it is up there.

Bloodborne
The Talos Principle
The Witcher 3

These are my favorite games this gen, and I can't believe I had to choose between two of them.

Saber

I usually use an axe on any game that lets me wield one. Sad so many modern games don't let you use a giant axe...or a tiny one.

Since I'm too afraid to beat father close-to-close, I used the axe. I started with cane though...and kind disliked.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Lot of games don't let you play dwarves either. Correlation, I think. Most games use the same kind of weapons, the ones that look cool and get used in movies. Can't think of many games where maces, war hammers, or polearms are used prominently either (compared to swords).

MUH NIPPON STEEL MUH EURO CROMWELL
Yeah I'm goddamn tired of the frail ass katana and the genero sword.
Since I'm too afraid to beat father close-to-close, I used the axe. I started with cane though...and kind disliked.
Just use your gun. How did you beat Hot Wheels if Father Gas gave you problems? You did beat Hot Wheels right?

Oh my God what a matchup, my nr 1 and 3 games this generation.

Bloodborne wins, but that does not mean that Witcher 3 is anything but a masterpiece and the best RPG in modern times. But Bloodborne is THE best game I have played maybe even counting last gen as well. The combat, the story (because there is story you low insight plebs!), the FEAR I felt in certain parts, and when you finally start to put the pieces together after several playthroughs it is up there.

Bloodborne
The Talos Principle
The Witcher 3

These are my favorite games this gen, and I can't believe I had to choose between two of them.

The Talos Principle ranks that high? How come, and on what platform? I tried it VERY briefly in VR and couldn't get into it. =/

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Wait. The Talos Principles is a game? I thought it was some fanfic about Skyrim or something. Huh.

Kssio_Aug

Although Bloodborne is great and a better game combat wise, The Witcher 3 is the better game for me for its huge beautifully crafted world, fantastic writing and tons of fun side quests and contents to find out.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
This was a really difficult choice. Ultimately I gotta give it to The Witcher 3. There's just too much in this game to be ignored.

GametimeUK

I kind of hate it when I start to feel like Sony games receive bonus points for being a Sony exclusive. Would this poll be the same if it was The Witcher 3 that was the exclusive?

To be fair though I feel Bloodborne is the one Sony exclusive where I feel it didn't get bonus points for being a Sony game. I can't deny how amazing it is. Even despite its massive performance shortcomings it is still amazing to me. I would put down any other game that runs like trash, but Bloodborne keeps me hooked. I played it at a time when I wasn't too sensitive to framerates so my memories of the game are great.

It gets the vote in my eyes. I love The Witcher too, but it's just too time consuming for me.

I can see why you'd choose either one.

Yumi

Hardest choice for me by far. I honestly think Bloodborne is the better video game. But the Witcher was a better experience for me. If Bloodborne had more class variety and a streamlined coop for chalice dungeons, it would have beaten Witcher out.

Last edited:

engstra

People who pick Witcher 3 are the type of people who would pick TLOU/Uncharted 4 over MGS V. Hellblade/GOW over Sekiro/Ninja Gaiden.

They simply value characters, story and grandeur over gameplay and combat mechanics
Feels like you're saying that combat and gameplay are the same thing. Gameplay doesn't have to mean complete freedom in moving around or a deep combat system. The games you mention I would argue has great gameplay for what they're trying to achieve, navigating you through incredible worlds while telling great stories.
While I find the combat in souls games the best in the business I have never completed any of those games because I reach a point where I lose motivation as there hasn't at any point been any story to set the context or give me reason for doing what I'm doing

Saber

Just use your gun. How did you beat Hot Wheels if Father Gas gave you problems? You did beat Hot Wheels right?

I beat Hotwheels Jesus normally, by using that weapon that looks like a katar. At the time I wasn't much into using firearm weapons(mostly because the timing is a pain to me), though I had the spear at the time. My character build was more like a "mage build".
Doing properly combo attacks while dodging is totally possible against him.

It's a funnny thing. Even though I beat him a lot of times I still have trouple facing Father in combat. Usually I just turn the "fuck you" button on and do the spinning attack while taking advantage of graves wall lmao. For me it's one of best aspects of the game. I may have become stronger and a lot skillful in the game(sometimes I even beat bosses perfect), but father? Lmao

Last edited:

DogofWar

The Talos Principle ranks that high? How come, and on what platform? I tried it VERY briefly in VR and couldn't get into it. =/

I played it on PS4. The story, soundtrack and everything is just amazing (imo). The only game I have played ever that actually awoke serious philosophical questions in me what stayed with me long after the game - about existence, humanity, defining humanity and what we will leave behind when our kind some day dies out. To mention A FEW of the many things that game deals with.

The puzzles were something I really enjoyed as well and even my ADHD-ridden brain that normally need Bloodborne/Doom-paced action could just mellow out and relax while working those really cool and creative puzzles. I somehow never grew tired of it, on the contrary it was relaxing and resting while still stimulating every part of your brain.

Not a game for everyone since it is a puzzle game I guess, but it made a very huge impression on me and that soundtrack is one of very few game soundtracks that I actually bought as well.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I'm just here to watch the world burn, lmao.

Really though, I voted for Bloodborne as I've always been in love with the game's aesthetic. Everything about its look is just so good. Always loved it so much.

I played it on PS4. The story, soundtrack and everything is just amazing (imo). The only game I have played ever that actually awoke serious philosophical questions in me what stayed with me long after the game - about existence, humanity, defining humanity and what we will leave behind when our kind some day dies out. Mention A FEW of the many things that game deals with.

The puzzles were something I really enjoyed as well and even my ADHD-ridden brain that normally need Bloodborne/Doom-paced action could just mellow out and relax while working those really cool and creative puzzles. I somehow never grew tired of it, on the contrary it was relaxing and resting while still stimulating every part of your brain.

Not a game for everyone since it is a puzzle game I guess, but it made a very huge impression on me and that soundtrack is one of very few game soundtracks that I actually bought as well.

Cool. Maybe I'll give it another go in pancake mode this time. Thanks!

Reyziak

Bloodborne. It's not open world, the protagonist doesn't speak, and there aren't any cinematic aspects. That's a win IMO.

The score is actually pretty close so far, with Bloodborne ahead at 51.1%, with Witcher 3 close behind at 48.9. The end will results can go either way really.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Heart breaking that Witcher is gonna loose, now I know what the TLoU2 people felt like.

:messenger_crying:

Top Bottom