• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 vs. Bloodborne

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• The Witcher 3

Votes: 458 51.1%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 438 48.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DonF

Bloodborne ruined Witcher 3. I played them around the same time. The terrible combat and meandering quest structure of W3 put me off from wanting to invest more time, so I eventually gave up after 20-30 hours
My exact experience!
People were praising the witcher 3, I liked tw2, and when I finally got 3, boy I was disappointed.
Slow, tedious, unsatisfying combat, unfocused story, typical semi open world quests.
The opposite of bloodborne.
Bloodborne is a great game all around. Tw3 might be a good book or tv series but as a game, fails hard to me.

This is officially Sonygaf
005.jpg

Witcher 3 scooped in all the Elder Scrolls / Bioware normies, a happy circumstance for CDPR.

Bloodborne entered the scene with the deck stacked against it (exclusive, major change from previous titles) and still won over a generation of fans.

scydrex

Liked Witcher 3 but the combat sucks, skill tree sucks, the inventory sucks was fixed with updates, FPS problems and BB too the same there. Story was ok... On the other hand BB has a awesome combat, lore, unique settings and weapons and other things said here. So BB wins for me.

Last edited:

Ellery

The big match. Would love to see how either of those go against Zelda BOTW. Those three games are basically in most people's top 5 games of the generation list.

Both felt like special games when you played them and funnily for very different reasons and that reminds me that I haven't watched The Witcher show on Netflix yet

005.jpg

Witcher 3 scooped in all the Elder Scrolls / Bioware normies, a happy circumstance for CDPR.

Bloodborne entered the scene with the deck stacked against it (exclusive, major change from previous titles) and still won over a generation of fans.

Bloodborne had the deck stacked against it by being an exclusive ? An exclusive of our revered and worshiped god SONY Corp. ? You have to be joking. Being a sony corp exclusive literally takes you halfway to the finish line. You have these massive armies pretending to like a game just because its exclusive. Im not saying about bloodborne in particular, its in general

Velurian

For me, there is no question here.
One - even if arguably the best - is just a classy 3rd person action game.

The other is a story and nuance rich world with brilliant character work and non-liner questing.
Witcher sets a new standard in RPG-s in everything aside from combat.
It just feels like a much more meaningful game in general.

Also, as a studio, CDPR deserves all the love in the world with a consumer-friendly and platform-agnostic attitude.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The Witcher 3 lost me with it's boring combat and non-existent difficulty. Also the main quest wasn't that intersting to keep me playing solely for it. The map covered in question markers didn't help either, that's not how you make an open world.

Bloodborne on the other hand is amazing. It could have used a little more in scenario variety, but what's there is consisten and everything made sense in the game world.

Also the gameplay is amazing. Much more than that of TW3 so yeah, it gets my vote.

Bloodborne had the deck stacked against it by being an exclusive ? An exclusive of our revered and worshiped god SONY Corp. ? You have to be joking. Being a sony corp exclusive literally takes you halfway to the finish line. You have these massive armies pretending to like a game just because its exclusive. Im not saying about bloodborne in particular, its in general
Oh okay. 🤭

On the other hand BB has a awesome combat, lore, unique settings and weapons and other things said here.
Several of BB's trick weapons are among the most iconic of the entire generation. Pizza cutter, Blades of Mercy, saw cleaver, kirkhammer, and threaded cane are each distinct and recognizable (it's arguable which ones are most iconic but the point is made). And BB was on the heels of three FROM titles that also had a lot of iconic weapons.

Meanwhile, Witcher 3 gives you reskins of the same steel / silver swords throughout the experience.

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
If Bloodborne will somehow receive an update for PS5 and run at 60fps with correct framepacing, I'd be all over it again, this time with the DLC. But the current version just doesn't play well. Shame that the support for this game is not existent anymore.

Meanwhile, Witcher 3 will get a next gen and RTX update.

Sony pls!

Last edited:
005.jpg

Just about every PS exclusive (or once PS exclusive franchise) has wiped the floor here. I would be more interested in this game going up against souls games and it never had anything against since it was already super hyped because it was made by the creators of the souls games. Whatever I think the matchups between games has been weird as fuck anyway. I fully expect God of War to win. I guess I need to play that game some time huh?

Last edited:
Just about every PS exclusive (or once PS exclusive franchise) has wiped the floor here. I would be more interested in this game going up against souls games and it never had anything against since it was already super hyped because it was made by the creators of the souls games. Whatever I think the matchups between games has been weird as fuck anyway. I fully expect God of War to win. I guess I need to play that game some time huh?
Sekiro was my vote against BB, for what it's worth.

But whining about SonyGAF is circa 2009 GameFAQS tier at this point.

As far as "never had anything against", you weren't paying attention. Within the first few months there were a lot of genuine Souls fans who were left disappointed. Detractors hated on MUH BUILD VARIETY, the way multiplayer was handled compared to other Souls games, the way Chalice Dungeons were included ("should have made more areas!!"), the way backstabs were nerfed in favor of guns, and so forth. I still hear these complaints to this day, and such complaints can be found in this very thread.

Witcher 2 was a phenomenon on PC and 360, and showed a lot of people what a Western RPG could be outside of Bioware. It was critically acclaimed and the sequel was highly anticipated.

If we compared the volume of "I am a Souls fan but I hated BB" to the volume of "I am a Witcher fan but I hated W3", it would make the point clearer.

Last edited:
Sekiro was my vote against BB, for what it's worth.

But whining about SonyGAF is circa 2009 GameFAQS tier at this point.
I don't like the "soul's" games so take that for what its worth. You know it's true that this forum is Sony favored though. I got nothing against Sony fans since I plan on getting a PS5 anyway but only for exclusive games.

I don't like the "soul's" games so take that for what its worth. You know it's true that this forum is Sony favored though. I got nothing against Sony fans since I plan on getting a PS5 anyway but only for exclusive games.
I "know" nothing, but I do know that Sony has released several massively popular consoles. Reading into it beyond that, I will repeat myself again, is GameFAQS tier.

GHG

Gold Member
That you are right about.

The harsh reality is that like RDR2, while the Witcher 3 is an expertly put together game, there is very little special about it.

If you want the perfect AAA game containing every ingredient that we have come to expect to be present in the formula in recent years then I guess this is it.

Luckily I managed to enjoy most of my time with the Witcher 3 unlike RDR2.

Last edited:
The harsh reality is that like RDR2, while the Witcher 3 is an expertly put together game, there is very little special about it.

If you want the perfect AAA game with every ingredient that we have come to expect to be present in the formula then I guess this is it.

Luckily I managed to enjoy most of my time with the Witcher 3 unlike RDR2.
I wouldn't vote for TW3 as best game anyways. Game was legit broken on my PS4 for months. However, I do think you are wrong about TW3 not being "special". It is imo. I have never played a RPG that excelled so fucking well in meaningful side quest story telling. I have never played an RPG with morally grey themes and pull it off as well as it dose. The world of TW is so unique they really committed to the whole professional monster hunter role where you actually need to do research and preparation to take out the baddest beasts in the game. The controls are the game's biggest weakness imo

Mozzarella

I enjoyed both but im going to vote for Witcher 3 for 2 reasons, the first one is rather simple its because some users here are so mad when Witcher 3 wins a poll, so voting for it to increase salt levels is a good idea.
The second is because the experience i had with Witcher 3 was more memorable for me, both are memorable games though, and both of these games came in the same year which makes 2015 a top tier year for gaming.

Bloodborne offers much better combat and more intense atmosphere, the art direction cannot be compared since they are very different from each other but Bloodborne art is glorious. Witcher art is less unique but its beautiful nonetheless.
Gameplay itself may sound in Bloodborne favors but imo its arguable, since in Bloodborne all you do is just fighting and killing monsters, there is really nothing else to its gameplay other than combat, on the other hand Witcher 3 you have more than just combat to do, for example Gwent is a card mini game inside it and its so much fun that a separate game was made because of it. All the interactions in the world from a gameplay perspective are also more engaging.

When it comes to writing the Witcher 3 is better and by far, Bloodborne has interesting lore with mysteries but thats about it, the story is minimal and even when we piece it together it pales in comparison, there is no similar depth or context or detail.
Witcher 3 with its 2 expansions have some of the best stories in gaming, like top 5. Whereas Bloodborne is there just to add a flavor.
I accept Bloodborne fan saying Combat is superior but when they claim the story in Bloodborne is superior it just doesnt make sense, i assume they dont know what good story is, its like a Witcher fan saying W3 has better combat, yes it sounds the same.
Characters in Witcher are also more memorable and better made and fleshed out thats obvious as its story driven game.

Music wise i would say they are about equal, but personally i liked Witcher 3 tracks more, cant go wrong with either.

Main game only its very close, but with the 2 DLC i choose Witcher 3, to me when considering the 2 DLC it becomes easy to choose Witcher 3 over almost any game, honestly.

I predicted Bloodborne will win by a wide margin due to the nature of the forums, but i have to say im surprised Witcher 3 managed to get close in a website like this, so i think thats a great result.

Whoever wins, I hope you beat Zelda BotW.

Enzo88

People who pick Witcher 3 are the type of people who would pick TLOU/Uncharted 4 over MGS V. Hellblade/GOW over Sekiro/Ninja Gaiden.

They simply value characters, story and grandeur over gameplay and combat mechanics

Not necessarily, i picked the Witcher 3 over BB but would definitely pick both Sekiro and NG over Gow/Hellblade and same for MGS over those other games.
I am a gameplay first guy, but i disagree on the idea that The Witcher`s gameplay is atrocious or something. It`s ok, the rest of the game is all time great though. BB does not even have the best combat within the souls like games, story/ost/ world and secondary characters do not reach The Witcher in my opinion. I am still waiting for a better wrpg than The Witcher 3 since 2015, while i like Dark Souls 3 better than BB already, just to pick another souls.

Last edited:
Bloodborne was not robbed this time. It was robbed many times already on this forum as well in the past and the other one and all over the users/outlets so let Bloodborne take the W this time dudes and dudettes.

Blood Borne

Not necessarily, i picked the Witcher 3 over BB but would definitely pick both Sekiro and NG over Gow/Hellblade and same for MGS over those other games.
I am a gameplay first guy, but i disagree on the idea that The Witcher`s gameplay is atrocious or something. It`s ok, the rest of the game is all time great though. BB does not even have the best combat within the souls like games, story/ost/ world and secondary characters do not reach The Witcher in my opinion. I am still waiting for a better wrpg than The Witcher 3 since 2015, while i like Dark Souls 3 better than BB already, just to pick another souls.
You’re a gameplay first guy, but prefer Witcher 3 to Bloodborne?
Make it make sense

DJT123

People who pick Witcher 3 are the type of people who would pick TLOU/Uncharted 4 over MGS V. Hellblade/GOW over Sekiro/Ninja Gaiden.

They simply value characters, story and grandeur over gameplay and combat mechanics
The Witcher 3 sets itself apart as an unprecedented technical showcase too, imo. As a product of staggering scale & technological prowess, far less contained than Bloodborne.

Enzo88

You’re a gameplay first guy, but prefer Witcher 3 to Bloodborne?
Make it make sense
Gameplay "first" does not mean it`s the "only" thing i look for in a videogame, i don`t think it`s that hard to understand.
BB superior gameplay to the Witcher 3, it`s not "superior enough" to make up for everything else the witcher does better, which to me it`s literally anything else but combat (also because, as i said, i don`t think tw3 gameplay is as bad as some people think).

Last edited:
Top Bottom