• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2014, PC/NextGen): Game Informer March 2013 [Updated OP]

They added a timeline of game events to their website. Witcher 3 takes place 9 months after the last one.

"The war with Nilfgaard obliterated the old order. The North is engulfed in chaos, and marching armies leave a plague of monsters in their wake. Geralt of Rivia once more treads the Witcher’s Path. "

jett

D-Member
Just checked out the high-res screens. Nothing about it looks particularly next-genny, old renderer or not.

They added a timeline of game events to their website. Witcher 3 takes place 9 months after the last one.

"The war with Nilfgaard obliterated the old order. The North is engulfed in chaos, and marching armies leave a plague of monsters in their wake. Geralt of Rivia once more treads the Witcher’s Path. "

Hmmm... I'm wondering if that's basically their free pass on reworking any of the choices you could have made in The Witcher 2 with respect to the fates of certain Kings and leaders of countries in the North. Probably the case, although especially if we're near Novigrad, which is near Redania, I hope we get to see/hear about what Radovid is up to. He was pretty badass in TW2.

Hmmm... I'm wondering if that's basically their free pass on reworking any of the choices you could have made in The Witcher 2 with respect to the fates of certain Kings and leaders of countries in the North.
Yeah, someone pointed out once a long time ago that the last cut scene in the game you pretty much see them wiping out your choices for the next game. Before they added that I thought they'd get past it by sticking you in Nilfgaard so you didn't have to come across your choices.

i-Lo

Just checked out the high-res screens. Nothing about it looks particularly next-genny, old renderer or not.

If they can maintain that fidelity with a world that is approximately 20% bigger than Skyrim, then to me it does look next-gen.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hmmm... I'm wondering if that's basically their free pass on reworking any of the choices you could have made in The Witcher 2 with respect to the fates of certain Kings and leaders of countries in the North. Probably the case, although especially if we're near Novigrad, which is near Redania, I hope we get to see/hear about what Radovid is up to. He was pretty badass in TW2.

I felt the carry over from The Witcher 1 to The Witcher 2 was pretty light.

Given that they hope to have massive sales expansion with this title, I can't imagine they're going to hang on to The Witcher 1/The Witcher 2's decision set too tightly.

However, if I have to choose, I vastly prefer choice that has a major effect during the game I'm currently playing than choice that carries over game to game.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

polycount and textures. Well, for consoles at least. and the renderer will make quite a difference in the overall look. And the overall look is what gets to people usually.

However, if I have to choose, I vastly prefer choice that has a major effect during the game I'm currently playing than choice that carries over game to game.

That's true and I agree there.

I just hope they bring back some of the characters from TW1 and TW2 in some capacity, since the game is supposed to be a more personal story for Geralt. Even a quick cameo or name drop of somebody like Shani, Roche or Saskia would be welcome.

Maybe kind of like Siegfried's cameo in TW2 if you sided with the Order of the Flaming Rose in TW1.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's true and I agree there.

I just hope they bring back some of the characters from TW1 and TW2 in some capacity, since the game is supposed to be a more personal story for Geralt. Even a quick cameo or name drop of somebody like Shani, Roche or Saskia would be welcome.

Maybe kind of like Siegfried's cameo in TW2 if you sided with the Order of the Flaming Rose in TW1.

For characters I expect all sorts of people to be present.

I certainly expect the game to tie in to what happened in The Witcher 1 and The Witcher 2, just not to focus on it in a way that's heavily dependent on the choices you made.

That's because W2 had nex-gen visuals when it came out on pc! I'll be surprised if next-gen consoles can run a game with Witcher visuals with ubersampling turned on and at 1080p.

i-Lo

That's because W2 had nex-gen visuals when it came out on pc! I'll be surprised if next-gen consoles can run a game with Witcher visuals with ubersampling turned on and at 1080p.

There will no super sampling. Perhaps MSAA with FXAA or FXAA alone with perhaps dynamic 1080p. The Withcer 2 on very high which is what the current render for the bigger world of TW3 looks like. And perhaps that is the limit of what the next gen consoles can do. With that in mind, RED engine 3 may have more to do with underlying physics, animation, collision etc system than just pure rendering.

There will no super sampling. Perhaps MSAA with FXAA or FXAA alone with perhaps dynamic 1080p. The Withcer 2 on very high which is what the current render for the bigger world of TW3 looks like. And perhaps that is the limit of what the next gen consoles can do. With that in mind, RED engine 3 may have more to do with underlying physics, animation, collision etc system than just pure rendering.
I hope it has better animations, Witcher 2 had some fantastic animations, but also some really bad ones.

androidcandy

Neo Member
If you upgrade Aard and Igni to level 3 they add an AoE effect. Upgrading Yrden allows it to have multiple traps, and upgrading Axii lets you hex two opponents at once.

Ah thats good I am still on chapter one so I haven't advanced my character that much. I am glad the signs get better Because I would like to use them more. I also noticed in the OP that they are gonna add horses for storage that would be wonderful because I get over encumbered a lot right now.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
All screenshots release so far are scans, or from Game Informer's digital mag, and constitute as scans.

There are no direct feed official screenshots to be posted yet.

lmpaler

Is that the Ciri or w/e chick? Isn't she some Mary Sue(lax use of the term)? She gets mentioned in a poem in The Witcher 1.

I believe it is. And based on a few comments I saw on IGN a good chunk agrees with this motion.

Either way Geralt has sealed my fate, next=PC gaming only because while the port to the 360 wasn't bad, it is miles better on the PC. I'll get the newest console for the exclusives, eventually.

Moff

witcher 2 is one of the best looking games of this generation, I wouldnt mind if wild hunt looked the same, but in an open world enviroment.
but I believe CDP when they say it will look better when its released.

Dartastic

I fucking hate Game Informer's digital subscription app. I can never, ever get an issue to actually work on my iPad. What a shitty app. There's almost no point to my subscription. This issue won't load either.

antonz

Its going to be a fun Generation. Graphic Whores are in for a lot of disappointments. Companies that bothered to push well beyond what Gen 7 consoles could do already showed what Gen 8 is gonna be like to some degree.

CDProjeckt RED will deliver enhanced visuals with the final renderer and they will be fantastic but some people are gonna be pretty disappointed with Gen 8.

Thoraxes

Good thing I plan to build a new machine soon.

Same. My current rig is closing in on about 4 years now. I'm getting a sexy 4k monitor soon, so obv. the hardware is gonna have to match it :D

I was able to Uber Witcher 2 at 1080p, but I need more.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Its going to be a fun Generation. Graphic Whores are in for a lot of disappointments. Companies that bothered to push well beyond what Gen 7 consoles could do already showed what Gen 8 is gonna be like to some degree.

CDProjeckt RED will deliver enhanced visuals with the final renderer and they will be fantastic but some people are gonna be pretty disappointed with Gen 8.

diminishing returns

Perkel

Banned

Sorry but you will eat a crow in near future. Tflop power aside it's consoles now are holding back graphics even on PC.

Even Crysis 3 which is vastly different on PC still is holded back by console design. The Witcher also was hold back (doors) by consoles. Already we know some techniques like megatextures will be excelent for new gen and may boom.

Just the same as this Gen. No one knew that we would see games like The Last of Us at this gen start.

As of TW2. Old renderer screenshots are completely not representative of what you will see when they will finalize their new renderer.

You can as well said already Crysis GFX is representative of Crysis 3 graphic it would be valid comparison to TW2/TW3 renderer change. Which is obviously lie.

Cloth simulation,
Water simulation,
Volumetric smoke/clouds simulation
"New skin shader" (subsurface ? )

New render should really improve how game will look.

patapuf

Probably more likely to be budget limits imo.

I'd guess this too. Going to a smaller install base with current production costs is going to be challenging enough.

I don't expect budgets (and by consequence graphics) to really ramp up until the consoles have been out for a while.

Eusis

Probably more likely to be budget limits imo.
That's going to be a factor, but I think it will be a bit of both: it's going to be harder and harder to impress on IQ alone, I kinda of expect it'll be more about how much you can do in a large space than anything else. Nevermind that it seems that unless you can somehow bring the whole world in line with the standards of first world countries you'd have a hard cap on the possible audience for games, and thus can't really soar much higher with budgets without charging a lot more (directly or indirect) or plaguing games with ads.

raphier

Banned
Sure looks rough and weird, but if they promised to change lighting, then it will change the whole outlook entirely come January next year. Also, Scans not allowed wtf?

Nibel

Yeah, it does look very much like W2 - which is still one of the best looking games out there. I think it's safe to assume that it will look even better at the time of its release; and having this kind of detail in a game bigger than Skyrim sounds pretty rad.

The reveal for today was kind of lame, though :lol but yeah, this will be good if the two previous games are anything to go by

modulaire

The screenshots look ok. Nothing mind-blowing though.

I guess the game will look less flat with the new dynamic lighting model.

Top Bottom