• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2014, PC/NextGen): Game Informer March 2013 [Updated OP]

Hell, thanks to CDR I can be proud of my country :p

R3PBmce.jpg
Chopin.

So this game is over a year out, its renderer isn't done yet but they say it will provide amazing advancements, the current shots look average in parts (unless console version, lol) and it's going to be even bigger than the last game?

Colour me more than a little skeptical, but hopeful.

Perkel

Banned
So this game is over a year out, its renderer isn't done yet but they say it will provide amazing advancements, the current shots look average in parts (unless console version, lol) and it's going to be even bigger than the last game?

Their current build look better than any RPG game so...

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

the current renderer looks like TW2 which wasn't average.

FACE

Banned

It looks like Witcher 2 in an open world, I would not call that average.

the current renderer looks like TW2 which wasn't average.

I said parts look average. Some of the textures (man sits on a beam), foilage sprites (mountains in the background), and effects (is that sprite blood?) look that way to me. Overall, it does look good. I also hope that some of the feeling that all the elements aren't blending perfectly is the result of the renderer - to me some of those sheep pop out.

FACE

Banned
I said parts look average. Some of the textures (man sits on a beam), foilage sprites (mountains in the background), and effects (is that sprite blood?) look that way to me. Overall, it does look good. I also hope that some of the feeling that all the elements aren't blending perfectly is the result of the renderer - to me some of those sheep pop out.

You really did say "average in parts", guess I was blinded by fanboyism.

Trickster

Compared to watch dogs I'd say it look's average. Of course they've said themselves that the game will look significantly better one it's done, so I'm optimistic.

My wishes for a Witcher 3 PC version:

-Use native 64 Bit client with full Quad Core and more than 4 GB RAM support
-Optimize it for several Multi GPU technologies like Crossfire, SLI and AMD Dual Graphics (APU+GPU in Laptops)
-Use DX11 features and engine (like fully customizable tessellation etc.)
-multiple Anti-Aliasing technologys (like SMAA (high,medium,low), MLAA, FXAA (high,medium,low), SSAA, MSAA,Ubersampling etc.)
-Anisotropic Filtering
-Direct Computing

My wishes for a Witcher 3 PC version:

-Use native 64 Bit client with full Quad Core and more than 4 GB RAM support
-Optimize it for several Multi GPU technologies like Crossfire, SLI and AMD Dual Graphics (APU+GPU in Laptops)
-Use DX11 features and engine (like fully customizable tessellation etc.)
-multiple Anti-Aliasing technologys (like SMAA (high,medium,low), MLAA, FXAA (high,medium,low), SSAA, MSAA,Ubersampling etc.)
-Anisotropic Filtering
CitizenKaneClapping.gif

I want this too, so my Haswell upgrade later this year justifies itself. ;)

RedSwirl

Thinking about it more, the open-world aspect could actually be more fitting to the kind of narrative you get in The Witcher. Most of the short stories are about Geralt running into shit while wandering the land and taking up hunts wherever he goes.

gioGAF

I wonder if those with Playstations will ever see a Witcher game. It seems like quite a missed opportunity for CDProjeckt RED to not have any of these games on the Playstation. Whatever, I will just continue to ignore this series.

Sentenza

I wonder if those with Playstations will ever see a Witcher game. It seems like quite a missed opportunity for CDProjeckt RED to not have any of these games on the Playstation. Whatever, I will just continue to ignore this series.

im6d3u0J8qsdP.gif

So, why you posted here, exactly?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
ill be happy if dice poker is fixed. It completely sucks in TW2.

What did they change from TW1? Just the likelyhood of getting different rolls?

I just hated that a full house beats a straight. Full houses are easy to get, I had tons of them throughout the game. One, single straight, and wouldn't you know that I lost with it. Fuck you, Foltest, I bet my ass on that 6-high straight roll and you win with a full friggin' house.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
It sucked in TW1 too. I wish they would replace it with medieval Pazaak.
i thought it was great in TW1. The changes made to it in TW2 made it slow and cumbersome. The only complaint i had with TW1 dice poker was AI.

What did they change from TW1? Just the likelyhood of getting different rolls
You have to "throw" the dice via mouse gesture. Oh and the detail on the dice was very ornate but that made it difficult to distinguish at a glance.

zkylon

zkylewd
i thought it was great in TW1. The changes made to it in TW2 made it slow and cumbersome. The only complaint i had with TW1 dice poker was AI.
Yeah, AI was specifically what I was thinking that made it suck in TW1.

Personally I'm not a fan of minigames in general, though I'm all for them being in The Witcher series since for some reason they always felt thematically relevant.

zkylon

zkylewd
Just watched the video, and man, the CDPR devs are adorable...

I really like their take on criticism because it doesn't feel fake like with Bioware and DAII and because they realize that fans aren't out to get them, so very nice.

I'm not so happy with them dropping a bit on the political intrigue aspect of the games. That was my favorite thing of TW2, feeling like nobody cares if you're following the conversations and having to make my own politics web in my head based on dialogue and codex.

I'm not so happy with them dropping a bit on the political intrigue aspect of the games. That was my favorite thing of TW2, feeling like nobody cares if you're following the conversations and having to make my own politics web in my head based on dialogue and codex.

I get the impression that political stuff will still be there, it just won't be the primary focus of the game. TW2 was all about the Assassins of Kings whereas TW3 is Wild Hunt. I'm guessing the personal story of Geralt and those close to him, his amnesia and the Wild Hunt will be the main storyline while any political wrangling will be secondary. Geralt will get involved in that political stuff to help further his own personal goals. Whereas it seemed like in TW2, Geralt was often the guy being ordered around and told what to do amidst all the political shenanigans and trying to clear his name/ find Letho.

zkylon

zkylewd
I get the impression that political stuff will still be there, it just won't be the primary focus of the game. TW2 was all about the Assassins of Kings whereas TW3 is Wild Hunt. I'm guessing the personal story of Geralt and those close to him, his amnesia and the Wild Hunt will be the main storyline while any political wrangling will be secondary. Geralt will get involved in that political stuff to help further his own personal goals. Whereas it seemed like in TW2, Geralt was often the guy being ordered around and told what to do amidst all the political shenanigans and trying to clear his name/ find Letho.
Yeah that's my impression as well, and I don't like it so much :p

It made The Witcher games feel unique, I really remember about Aedirn and Nilfgaard and Temeria in ways I don't in other games, because TW2 forced me to use my head to connect the dots. It immersed me in the world in a way I think almost no other RPG ever did, so really I always felt was a big triumph on CDPR's part.

CDPR also manages the codex way better than Bioware (not to diss on Bioware, I do appreciate their effort, but be it their more clinical style of writing or just their universes not being as interesting, I can never bother to read their codexes (?)), they don't just infodump everything and let you sort it out, it just slowly gets bigger as you progress and helps you fill the gaps and learn more about the world and the key characters. In many cases, it also helps to remind you who's doing who and why and that's also very good since it can be a bit hard to follow sometimes.

Making the story a bit more personal is not gonna necessarily destroy all of that (and if a CDPR dev is reading this know I have full faith on y'all, but reassurance is always appreciated :D) but it's my favorite thing about TW2, so if you asked me what I want I'd answer I want the politics expanded even more rather than being set back to the background.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
You know for next-gen console owners. They should do some kind of pre-order bonus that comes with the original witcher game for free; especially since next-gen consoles should have the power to run a straight-up port job of the game in 1080p.

Top Bottom