• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2014, PC/NextGen): Game Informer March 2013 [Updated OP]

Lingitiz

So console owners, "Pay more get less"? I did not play the PC version but how much of the original free DLC was packed in with "EE" version of the game on 360?

All of it was, but the game also released a year after the PC version (I forget if it was full price). This is going to be a simultaneous launch.

Sentenza

consolebutthurt.jpg

f8a.gif

Eideka

Banned
This Hutchinson guy is clearly gutted that the PC version will look better, but he should come to term with that fact rather than being silly.

I hope CDProjekt will take advantage of the newest GC when this comes out.

DrSlek

Ha! Wow, who is that guy? I feel like I've seen that avatar before...possibly as a reviewer for a gaming website. Not certain, but it just feels so familiar...

zkylon

zkylewd
Googling Scott Hutchinson reveals that he's some dude with a youtube channel. Reading his tweets reveals that he's an idiot.

Nobody should care what he thinks, less of them all CDPR.

Dmented

Banned
Googling Scott Hutchinson reveals that he's some dude with a youtube channel. Reading his tweets reveals that he's an idiot.

Nobody should care what he thinks, less of them all CDPR.

I think he's a troll. His YT pretty much shows he's a PC gamer as well as a console gamer. Not like he's a complete console fanboy.

Sentenza

"Reach to the wider audience"

Probably he should take a few PR lesson before stating something like this, especially if he talk about their fanbase. Right now above statements is like saying "we don't care about our fans"
Really? because I got the exact opposite impression.
He states quite clearly that they want more people to play the game, but for what it is.
"We want to stay with the fans we have right now", etc.

if anything, you're right about a thing: he didn't sound like PR expert at all.
Which I would count as a big plus, as in fact he sounded refreshingly honest about what he said, unlike most PR people.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

Probably he should take a few PR lesson before stating something like this, especially if he talk about their fanbase. Right now above statements is like saying "we don't care about our fans"

nothing is wrong with expanding your fanbase. Making low quality games - now that's wrong. TW3 won't be low quality.

IMO... you really misinterpreted how he said that and why he said that...

If anything that video is a tribute to the fans of the games...

FACE

Banned

Well, he wasn't going to say "I want my game to sell less copies than its predecessor."

Mogwai

Even Dark Souls 2 is said to reach a wider audience. I think Witcher 3 is going to be just awesome.

My biggest issue with The Witcher 3 is its subtitle "Wild Hunt". It makes it sound like an ugly expansion pack.

Sentenza

My biggest issue with The Witcher 3 is its subtitle "Wild Hunt". It makes it sound like an ugly expansion pack.
I've read similar complaints about the title a lot of times at this point (here on GAF) and I still don't get what's supposed to be wrong about it.

Maybe it's because I'm not a native English speaker, so I don't perceive how bad it can sound in a different cultural context. No idea.

Perkel

Banned
Really? because I got the exact opposite impression.
He states quite clearly that they want more people to play the game, but for what it is.
"We want to stay with the fans we have right now", etc.

if anything, you're right about a thing: he didn't sound like PR expert at all.
Which I would count as a big plus, as in fact he sounded refreshingly honest about what he said, unlike most PR people.

I didn't say they are doing that (making bad game). But this statement could backfire if they will announce something like more action oriented, less complex quests etc.

As of quests i don't think they will be complex if they want to create a lot of them for their massive world.

Mogwai

I've read similar complaints about the title a lot of times at this point (here on GAF) and I still don't get what's supposed to be wrong about it.

Maybe it's because I'm not a native English speaker, so I don't perceive how bad it can sound in a different cultural context. No idea.
"Wild Hunt" itself sounds pretty cool. But it's weird to title the third game in a series with a subtitle when the first two games didn't have any. It's the same as Bioware naming ME3 "Mass Effect 3: tHE DRAMAZ!" or something like that despite ME1 and ME2 having none. Darksiders was also titled "Darksiders: Wrath of War", but I think the devs scratched the subtitle along the way, luckily.

Also, I'm looking forward to "The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt: Enhanced Edition".

Sentenza

As of quests i don't think they will be complex if they want to create a lot of them for their massive world.
I don't know, complexity of quests is a very relative thing, in my opinion hardly related with narrative.
Most people seem to be easily fooled into thinking that if there is a lot of back story and the quest drags for a lot, then it's complex. At that point you decide to analyze that "complex quest" and it turns out being just about following a very linear, strict storyline, with virtually no freedom of input on your side.

On the other hand, you can have an apparently basic quest in, say, Harbor Town in Risen, like "Found this precious item X and sell it back to me and I'll help you for that other thing".
And then you have complete freedom to steal it unnoticed, to bribe who's guarding it, to fight your way through it, to give up on it but to find an alternate route to your next goal (i.e. "No precious item, but I saved your daughter from pirates") and so on.

That's what in my opinion makes quests interesting in a RPG, not how elaborate is the plot tied to them.

"Wild Hunt" itself sounds pretty cool. But it's weird to title the third game in a series with a subtitle when the first two games didn't have any.
Well, actually the second one was called "The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings".
Just saying.

Solo

"Wild Hunt" itself sounds pretty cool. But it's weird to title the third game in a series with a subtitle when the first two games didn't have any. It's the same as Bioware naming ME3 "Mass Effect 3: tHE DRAMAZ!" or something like that despite ME1 and ME2 having none. Darksiders was also titled "Darksiders: Wrath of War", but I think the devs scratched the subtitle along the way, luckily.

Also, I'm looking forward to "The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt: Enhanced Edition".

Uh, what? Never heard of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings?

Forkball

Wild Hunt refers to the old European myth of seeing hunters race across the sky. Seeing this is a bad omen. In the first game there is also a character called King of the Wild Hunt who is kind of like the Grim Reaper. Ironically in the game, you could possibly kill that character.

Actually I found some text from The Witcher 2 regarding it.

According to Nordlings, the Wild Hunt is a procession, or rather a cavalcade of skeletal horsemen. They rush across the sky on the bony remains of steeds. Clad in rusty remnants of armor, they wear jagged swords at their waists. Like comets, the Wild Hunt is an omen of war, which has been confirmed beyond all doubt.

The spectral cavalcade ventures out in search of victims every several years, but its harvest was never as rich as just before the last war with Nilfgaard, when over twenty souls went missing Novigrad alone after the Hunt passed through. Curiously, elven and dwarven legends make not the slightest mention of the Wild Hunt.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Since it is established in the second game that the wild hunt are mainly astral projections, I don't think you really killed him in the first game.

Frogacuda

Banned

Sentenza

Which isn't really that hard since Polish money is like... beercans and toilet paper.

Witcher 2 cost like $10 million, but it had the production values of a $40 million game. The exchange rate just works out in their favor, for the same reason Japan is getting fucked right now.
Some of you guys seem to think Poland is some sort of desperate third world country and developers' salaries at CDPR are a tenth of the average in the industry.

That's really not the case.
While I'm sure exchange rate plays in their favor, I would guess there was a lot of good management involved to keep costs so low for TW2.

Top Bottom