• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Good lord my side quest OCD is dragging me way down in this game. All the side quests are fantastic, but I just can't seem to get anything done in the main game. I've been doing lowest level quests first (which I think makes sense), but there's just so much to do.

31 hours in and still searching for
Dandelion

Pillville

I just stopped by to say fuck the missable Gwent cards. Especially the one at the party.

"Hey I know you're at a party and doing a quest, but if you don't stop right now and win this tournament, with whatever deck you might have, you'll never get this unique card"

Total B.S., especially since there's a trophy tied to it.

I just stopped by to say fuck the missable Gwent cards. Especially the one at the party.

"Hey I know you're at a party and doing a quest, but if you don't stop right now and win this tournament, with whatever deck you might have, you'll never get this unique card"

Total B.S., especially since there's a trophy tied to it.

Eh, I disagree. It's not about "stopping" your current quest. You're free to explore the party and are even encouraged too. Having a little Gwent tournament at the party made it even more enjoyable to me, to be honest. There should not be any missable cards though, I will say, there should always be a second way of getting them.

Pillville

Eh, I disagree. It's not about "stopping" your current quest. You're free to explore the party and are even encouraged too. Having a little Gwent tournament at the party made it even more enjoyable to me, to be honest. There should not be any missable cards though, I will say, there should always be a second way of getting them.

I wasn't really complaining about a tournament ruining the party.

I'm complaining that:
1) That's the only time the tournament takes place.
2) You have to play it with whatever cards you have at the time.
3) Almost all other Gwent matches/tournaments are separate side quests.
4) There's a unique card that can only be obtained by winning that tournament.
5) You can't get a certain trophy if you don't stop and win that tournament right then.

mcfrank

Yeh, the game just grinds to a halt here. It starts to stretch things Wind Waker style way before this though.

By the time people get to this point in the game, they are ready for narrative closure. They have finished their sidequests and actively told the game they are ready to proceed with finishing the story. They have past the point of no return and everything should be focused on great story telling. And then this happens and it is just awful.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Been away from GAF a while, has there been any ETA on when NG+ will drop yet?

And for those who used Reshade preset (from SweetFX), does it look better than vanilla? And is it possible to maintain 60 FPS while using it?

EDIT: As for myself, I don't understand why Act 3 gets much negative response. Yeah, its not as good as Act 1 or 2, but really, it was mildly good at best IMO.

GeeTeeCee

Wow, just got an infinite loading screen on one of the Final Preparations quests. Looks like I might need to wait for another patch after all.

I said it in a previous post, but it bears repeating; the first 80% of the game I played was flawless. Now, right at the end, I'm encountering every bug, glitch and technical freak-out under the sun.

If you truly loved me, Witcher 3, you'd let me finish you.

Avallon

My PC with an i5-3570K is running temperatures a little over 60C on all cores when playing at 1080p with maxed settings. Is this too hot? The game is crashing in the dialogue between Geralt and
the painting of the Crones of Crookback Bog

My favorite part in the entire game so far has to be
Lambert, Eskel and Geralt getting drunk of their asses and attempting to "Summon the bitches"

I haven't laughed this hard at a video game in a while.

So I returned to this game after taking a break waiting for the movement patch and stuff (PS4). I picked it up again today, and I'm not sure if the patch made the performance worse, or if I've just been spoiled by playing GTAV on the PC and Arkham Knight which was a pretty rock solid 30fps on PS4, but... man. I started in a forest in Skellige and it was just a nightmare walking around with the jerky FPS.

I'm half tempted to just bite the bullet and start over on PC. I missed the GMG 50% off deal sadly. Is this a good idea or the ravings of a madman?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
You could try meditating and seeing it that fixes the glitch. Another option would be to check the Load Game menu for autosaves, there may one prior to entering.

Unrelated but I've found that some glitches such as a zoomed camera or no music are sometimes reset upon relaunch of the game.

I would just like to update: when I started my game the following day, it was fixed. It seemed that just relaunching my game probably would have fixed that ladder glitch (but I had already played quite a bit prior to that, so I just considered that my finishing point for the night).

Coreda

I would like to find some farming locations in Skellige. I am sick to death of farming those level 18 Drowners near Benek in Velen.

Happened to take a look in a locations screenshot folder and found a link to VE3TRO's post. Also it seems old pomf.se uploads now are being mirrored from archive.org.

Finally! Found locations for lesser Red Mutagens. Go here in Skellige and kill Drowners. They are levels 18+ and pretty easy to kill but usually in a large group.

ogakqj.jpg

I'm half tempted to just bite the bullet and start over on PC. I missed the GMG 50% off deal sadly. Is this a good idea or the ravings of a madman?

Depends how far you're into the story and if you're happy to restart. PC is a better experience FPS wise over the console version assuming your system is up to spec (even then you can knock settings down as you like).

Qwyjibo

I feel like I've been playing this game for 2 months and I've just left Kaer Mohren after my first visit. I keep getting sidetracked by things. I honestly never want this game to end and almost dread continuing on with the main story. I just love going back to this world with something new to discover every time. The "No Place Like Home" quest (if you can even call it that) is one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had in a game in a long time.

I honestly think the Witcher 3 has ruined other recently released RPGs for me. I put aside Dragon Age Inqusition after playing for a bit and I don't see how I can go back to that. I'm sure I'll finish it someday but it just feels like a "lite" version of The Witcher 3. Even my hype for future games like Xenoblade Chronicles X and Fallout 4 has died down a bit because I don't see how those games can even come close to the story-telling of this game. First world gamer problems.

RedSwirl

I've reached a seemingly major choice in the game here. I'm in the Whispering Willow talking to this... thing. I'd just like to have a clue here as to what's really going on, not an outright explanation.

I read the book "She Who Knows" and I'm pretty sure the Crones want me to get rid of their mother for them. I'm still not sure how the children figure into all this though. If it matters, I've done Bloody Baron all the way up until the baron gave me the second Ciri flashback after I found his daughter in Oxenfurt. Also, I haven't been to Novigrad at all yet.

Is it even possible to play this sequence of events out like it happened in the E3 demonstration?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is it even possible to play this sequence of events out like it happened in the E3 demonstration?

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by this? Have you met the Crones? If you haven't, and you're talking to the Willow, you've just discovered a different order to do things. Otherwise events can play out exactly as they do in the E3 playthrough. They probably could still for you depending on what you do.

RedSwirl

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by this? Have you met the Crones? If you haven't, and you're talking to the Willow, you've just discovered a different order to do things. Otherwise events can play out exactly as they do in the E3 playthrough. They probably could still for you depending on what you do.

I met "Gran" who went into a house and had the Crones talk to me through a painting. I went to Downwaren and got the contract by giving the alderman the ceremonial dagger. Keira Metz pointed me in the direction of Crookback Bog after I did that elven ruin quest with her.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Ever since 1.08 I haven't been getting any XP for the quests I complete and some achievements aren't popping (i.e., I beat the Woodland Spirit contract and never got an achievement for it). Playing without achievements is one thing but missing out on XP is something I can't abide. I don't really want to put this game down but I'm going to set it aside until 1.09 hits.

I'm also missing out on quest rewards. Crach gave me his sword at the end of his quest line but it doesn't show up in my inventory. Something is pretty messed up.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I met "Gran" who went into a house and had the Crones talk to me through a painting. I went to Downwaren and got the contract by giving the alderman the ceremonial dagger. Keira Metz pointed me in the direction of Crookback Bog after I did that elven ruin quest with her.

From memory that's how the E3 vid played out yeah? You then talk to the Willow and must decide what you're going to do.

It's possible to do the willow completely first before chatting the the crones.

I freed the spirit ages before even meeting the crones as I was exploring. When they asked about and I said I freed it, they were like what the hell did you do that for!?

Sai

It's possible to do the willow completely first before chatting the the crones.

I freed the spirit ages before even meeting the crones as I was exploring. When they asked about and I said I freed it, they were like what the hell did you do that for!?
So, what about the
villagers, Gran, and the orphans?

Denton

So I returned to this game after taking a break waiting for the movement patch and stuff (PS4). I picked it up again today, and I'm not sure if the patch made the performance worse, or if I've just been spoiled by playing GTAV on the PC and Arkham Knight which was a pretty rock solid 30fps on PS4, but... man. I started in a forest in Skellige and it was just a nightmare walking around with the jerky FPS.

If you have the PC for it...DO IT

The 60fps at ultra makes the game sing, not to mention short loadings, future modding etc.
970 would be recommended for such performance.

For my last five games of Gwent I haven't received any cards as rewards, only the coins that I bet at the start of the game. Is this a bug, have I reached some kind of card limit, or am I just extremely unlucky? I'm in Skellige if it matters.

tauke

For my last five games of Gwent I haven't received any cards as rewards, only the coins that I bet at the start of the game. Is this a bug, have I reached some kind of card limit, or am I just extremely unlucky? I'm in Skellige if it matters.

Have you played against innkeepers or just merchant/armorer/blacksmith? Innkeepers and certain important NPC carries unique Gwent card.

Thorgal

Welp, I am dumb.

I spend an exorbitant amount of money to craft the feline armor to the point I am now broke only to now realize I cannot wear it until lvl 17.

FUUUUUU....!!

Have you played against innkeepers or just merchant/armorer/blacksmith? Innkeepers and certain important NPC carries unique Gwent card.

I've played every inn keeper and smith that I've come across, as well as every merchant I could. I would win cards from everyone I beat in Velen and Novigrad but in Skellige the cards have dried up all of a sudden. I'm still getting unique cards from Gwent-related quests and stuff like that but no one else has given me cards for ages.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I've played every inn keeper and smith that I've come across, as well as every merchant I could. I would win cards from everyone I beat in Velen and Novigrad but in Skellige the cards have dried up all of a sudden. I'm still getting unique cards from Gwent-related quests and stuff like that but no one else has given me cards for ages.

I had this same problem and its actually a good thing, since it (likely) means the game has run out of cards to give you!
The game draws from a card pool. There are more vendors than there are available cards.

It seems you're good!

Taruranto

Finished.

Didn't really like the last part, feels like they had some ideas but they didn't know how to connect them together well.

I also have several issue with the story, the Wild Hunt was really disappointing and their motives not very clear. Ciri's story rely too much on the books, we get some tidbits of her and Geralt here and there, but they come off as confusing and not very well connected. The Baron's quest was probably the highest part of the game.

Sai

Well...
The villagers all get murdered by it, but gran and the orphans are all part of the barons/crones storyline so are unaffected
:/ Not sure if it's worth it.

When NG+ hits, I might take a lil' detour when I hit Velen to see how it all plays out.

Sai

None yet, but 1.08 had some things to prep the game for NG+, and they wouldn't have announced it if it wasn't going to be available in the near future.

I suspect it'll be available in the next week or two.

Holy shit, really? Mhmm, just did the
Battle at Kaer Morhan
, so I probably should keep myself busy with side quests then...

I did die a lot in certain fights so if you're good/playing on lower difficulties, it'll take less time.
Do as many sidequests as you want in green before they go grey, you level up way too quick from this part on. I went from 25 from Battle at Kaer Morhen to 35 by the end of the game.

Hoplatee

I still don't seem to get achievements. Some I do, others I don't.

Tested on GoG and Steam. Stuff like finishing White Orchard does trigger while other stuff like counterattack 10 times in a row / 5 place of power buffs / some contracts do not. All done/tested after 1.08. Even made a new save with clean version.

Anyone else experiencing that?

For what its worth the only mod I use is that weight limit remover and console commands for the freecam.

Playing on Death March which means I'm dying a lot, which is fine. What I do have a problem with though is the load times on PS4 which are fucking atrocious and making me not want to play.

I timed it and it took exactly 59 seconds to load after a death. Not fun.

Top Bottom