• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah same, figure it's some kind of hotfix.

Hoplatee

Just downloaded 22 MB of patch on Steam.
Game is still 1.08 on title screen.
Mmmh...

Maybe a fix for achievements not working? Some still had issues even without using Console Commands (which now disable achievements if you modify something on the save you are playing on)

MODkit officially released:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/forums/6-The-Witcher-Series

Released today, the Modkit enables Witcher community to modify several aspects of the game to their own liking. Thanks to texture import and export, gamers can now modify the looks and feel of in-game objects, while the possibility of substituting meshes allows to insert new models in the game world in place of existing ones. Finally, access to script files opens up an entirely new array or modification options to many in-game aspects, so modders can fire up their imagination and fiddle with item statistics and much more. In order to download the Modkit, head on over to nexusmods.com, the official home of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt mods where you can download the extractor itself as well as some of the exisiting mods. Don’t forget to check our forums for the Modkit documentation. We simply cannot wait to see all the fantastic creations from the modding community. Should you have any additional questions regarding the capabilities of the kit, make sure to check out GameSpot’s Q&A.

teokrazia

I did not see a notification, but I got 5 achievements or so.
Among those, two for finishing the game.
I'm on the Family Matters quest.
I think something might be wrong there.

LMAO, I've just checked and 2 of 3 are about completing the game, while I'm still in Skellige. :D

Coreda

Is there a way to rollback previous manually installed patches without re-installing the game? I figure if each patch continues to consume 7GB going forward I should at least be able to uninstall previous patches before installing from the latest all-in-one binary.

Fantastic! I have a few mods in mind I'd love to see created with it.

I was honestly nervous the whole game that I was messing up and going to get a shit ending.

It makes that ending so much sweeter, although I feel it would have been better not having the thought of a good/bad ending in mind during gameplay.

Nere

Guys I have an issue. I have the witcher 3 in Ps4 and I can't seem to download the 1.08 patch. The patch is added on my downloads it says preparing to download goes to 3% then to 0% then like 2% then 0% and then says cannot download. When I click it says to download the content you must delete unnecessary content from system storage but I have 20 free Gbytes the patch can't be that big. Anyone has any clue whats going on?

theapg

I have a few questions about the game, I don't know if this is the right place, but it would be awesome if you guys could answer!

1. The crafting and potion making is way over my head. Are there any important ones that I should be looking to make? And is it worth it to craft armor?

2. Selling stuff. What do I sell? Do I just sell any of the stuff that says it can be broken down into crafting components and then armor and weapons that is worse than what I have?

3. Is there an order I should be doing quests? I have played probably around 10 hours and I feel like I am pretty much only doing story quests. I'm level 5. Should I chill in Velen and do side quests for a while?

Thanks!

Alpende

Just did the Passiflora Gwent quest and got that trophy. All that's left are the horse races (the Velen ones are bugged for me), the collect 'em all one, one quest related and finishing it on Death March. I'll save those for NG+.

I have a few questions about the game, I don't know if this is the right place, but it would be awesome if you guys could answer!

1. The crafting and potion making is way over my head. Are there any important ones that I should be looking to make? And is it worth it to craft armor?

2. Selling stuff. What do I sell? Do I just sell any of the stuff that says it can be broken down into crafting components and then armor and weapons that is worse than what I have?

3. Is there an order I should be doing quests? I have played probably around 10 hours and I feel like I am pretty much only doing story quests. I'm level 5. Should I chill in Velen and do side quests for a while?

Thanks!

1. Be sure to make Swallow (I believe you can get the recipe for that from the alchemist in White Orchard), that regenerates health and is great for combat. Thunderbolt is a good one to start with as well. Crafting armor is totally worth it. Find the Witcher Gear quests ( you can buy maps at vendors ) and craft Witcher Gear. Generally that's the best gear out there. Also, do not sell crafted Witcher gear as you need the older pieces to upgrade to newer pieces.

2. Mostly I sold weapons, armor and stuff in the junk category. You can also disassemble junk and weapons in order to get new crafting materials, armorers and smiths can disassemble gear and junk for you. I did not sell my alchemy ingredients, just hoard those because you will need them once you start brewing potions.

3. There is no particular order for doing quests. What I did was that I'd check which level was recommend for the currently open story quest I had and I did all side quests below that level. So for example, if Story Quest x has a recommended level of 7, I'd do all open sidequests I currently have below level 7. Level 5 is fine for Velen, check out notice boards for sidequests and exclamation marks on the map. Once you venture deeper into the world you'll come across plenty of sidequests. But for now, check notice boards.

Not really. I've completed all story quests in velen and it is pointing me to novigrad now. Yes I guess I wouldn't have seen some stuff about the baron etc but plot wise you realistically could go straight to novigrad.

You could do that indeed (in fact, you can complete the three main questlines of Act One in any order you like, as long as the level requirement do not stop you in your tracks). Still, there is a specific reason why you'll need to have done the Velen main quest in order to progress in the main story later on. It will all make sense when you reach that point, but probably not before that.

Anteater

boo the basement to the enhanced cat school trouser location is locked in my game, I've already finished the Get Junior quest many hours ago and I heard it's tied to that, is there another entrance to that place other than the house?

I could probably use the free cam mod to drop myself into the basement or something but the update broke the debug command and free cam, worst timing ever.

Jobbs

Banned
I may be one of the few who own the game on PS4 and PC. To recap, I got the game on PS4 when it came out, finally got around to getting started on it the other day, was very impressed by the game in general, but found the general framerate on PS4 to be distracting. Because of this, I got it on Steam. I ran an HDMI cable to my 42 inch TV and all works well. Newly exposed to Steam Big Picture mode, too -- This is a nice feature.

Anyway, the PC version is very very pretty. The PS4 version was too, but this is prettier. I have a core i7 4790k with an R9 290. I initially set the preset to "ultra" and found the framerate to be not ideal. I then tried turning off all the nvidia hair stuff while keeping everything else on ultra. Now it runs better -- Not a stable 60, I don't think, honestly, but I would say the average is well above 30. I'm currently debating whether I want to further tweak it or just leave it like this.

Dsyndrome

Galaxy can't remove achievements can it? Feel bad for getting "Ran the Gauntlet" and "Passed the Trial" without beating the game.

Coreda

They just announced that this is the only mod support TW3 will get, so REDkit is effectively canceled.

Well, there it is. Disappointing.

Among the mods I was hoping for was one that added switchable Roaches with permanent horse stables that could be bought in-game, among others. From the sounds of it the Modkit is fairly limited in that capacity.

I may be one of the few who own the game on PS4 and PC. To recap, I got the game on PS4 when it came out, finally got around to getting started on it the other day, was very impressed by the game in general, but found the general framerate on PS4 to be distracting. Because of this, I got it on Steam. I ran an HDMI cable to my 42 inch TV and all works well. Newly exposed to Steam Big Picture mode, too -- This is a nice feature.

Anyway, the PC version is very very pretty. The PS4 version was too, but this is prettier. I have a core i7 4790k with an R9 290. I initially set the preset to "ultra" and found the framerate to be not ideal. I then tried turning off all the nvidia hair stuff while keeping everything else on ultra. Now it runs better -- Not a stable 60, I don't think, honestly, but I would say the average is well above 30. I'm currently debating whether I want to further tweak it or just leave it like this.

Try shadows on medium and see if you can even notice a difference. After that, try foliage range to high if you want a few more frames.

Finalow

Don't be salty. Just play the game as it has been balanced to be played, which doesn't include farming in the equation.
I mean, it's not like I was going to grind them for 30 hours and get rich, just wanted to buy a couple of items there. what it's really annoying however is that the fucking Chort doesn't go away, I wasted 1 hour trying to advance the main quest because I had to talk with Vesemir and he just kept going after the Chort, both of them CAN'T DIE so that's it. tried to lure the Chort away, nope Vesemir is following, tried to meditate, nope still there to fight. thank god I had a recent save and somehow it worked.

GG great fix

also had a really strange bug which basically gave me all the White Orchard's blacksmith items for free. the Chort killed him at some point, then when I load the last save I just find a dead blacksmith body to loot and the actual blacksmith still alive doing his things at the same place.
magics

Denton

Try shadows on medium and see if you can even notice a difference. After that, try foliage range to high if you want a few more frames.

What RandomSeed says is correct. Drop shadows to medium, foliage distance high, hairworks off, 1080p. On 970 that gets me constant 60fps, which feels wonderful. 290 should get very close or identical framerate.
The impact on graphics is almost unnoticeable, especially on TV.

Ennosuke

Guy, I made it! I finished the game! After 3 months, I finally beat the game. At the end I felt a little bit like "I hope it is over soon", because I kind of felt exhausted. Returning to the point where the game started was nice, because it made me realize what a great journey this way. Amazing game, amazing atmosphere and for me maybe the best experience on the current gen.

Probably nobody cares about my post, but I needed to say that :D

Jobbs

Banned
What RandomSeed says is correct. Drop shadows to medium, foliage distance high, hairworks off, 1080p. On 970 that gets me constant 60fps, which feels wonderful. 290 should get very close or identical framerate.
The impact on graphics is almost unnoticeable, especially on TV.

I did this, and it's still not perfect. It's pretty smooth in one sense, but also I get stuttering as I travel and as things happen.

Any suggestions on what else to lower?

I did this, and it's still not perfect. It's pretty smooth in one sense, but also I get stuttering as I travel and as things happen.

Just have Fraps running and lower settings one at a time to see what makes a difference. Try SSAO vs HBAO, foliage range, and shadows. High vs Ultra water did cost a few FPS on my old video card, so you can try that. You'll find that plenty of settings don't make much of a difference, so they can be high or ultra.

Hoplatee

boo the basement to the enhanced cat school trouser location is locked in my game, I've already finished the Get Junior quest many hours ago and I heard it's tied to that, is there another entrance to that place other than the house?

I could probably use the free cam mod to drop myself into the basement or something but the update broke the debug command and free cam, worst timing ever.

I had the same problem. I / Geralt actually got stuck in that mansion (.... dont ask) and used the fast travel command to get out of there. It broke the game because you NEED to walk out through main door for a very important cutscene to show up. Amongst those problems was that closed gate but it gets much worse...
Radovids favour never pop ups, Now or Never never did etc..
. Had to reload a save during that mission and all was fine again. Had no idea I missed out on that much.

So if you by any chance also FT'D your way out of his house instead of walking out I can already tell you that you have to reload since crucial missions will not pop up later.

Ended up on just starting all over again. Level 12 now so all is going well. Still insane lack of money though. :(

Just did the Isle of Mists quest, Finally having Geralt reunite with Ciri was emotional shit. Also I just realized that the whole quest was a parody on Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

phEKle5.gif

Nuke Soda

Just did the Isle of Mists quest, Finally having Geralt reunite with Ciri was emotional shit. Also I just realized that the whole quest was a parody on Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

phEKle5.gif

Mind=blown

Did not pick up on that. Did that part way back in May, but I still remember it. Good stuff.

When you find a new notice board, most of the time there is five or six pieces of paper on the board, aka new quests. How come usually my quest log only gets one or two new quests after I visit the board? Is this a bug?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Jesus fucking Christ these glitches bugs are getting old.

For some goddamn fucking stupid reason the game will not allow me to dive underwater.

I love this game so much, but holy fuck is this shit aggravating.

teokrazia

Skellige.
Possession Mission.
Oh my...
...putting the baby in the oven, watching his father struggling so desperately.
Everything in that scene felt so rushed, rude and authentic.
Glad it ended up well.

Nuke Soda

When you find a new notice board, most of the time there is five or six pieces of paper on the board, aka new quests. How come usually my quest log only gets one or two new quests after I visit the board? Is this a bug?

Some of those quest are just notices and such. For example: Baby born. goat needed, so and so is an asshole.

BTM

Just finished the game and what a ride it was. I'm kind of sad it's all over even after putting in 101 hours.

Best game of this gen so far.

Denton

I assume you have latest drivers ?

Anyway check out this article:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-the-best-pc-hardware-for-the-witcher-3

Maybe you can set the game to PS4 settings:

Resolution: 1920x1080
Nvidia HairWorks: Off
Number of Background Characters: Low
Shadow Quality: Medium
Terrain Quality: Medium
Water Quality: High
Grass Density: Medium
Texture Quality: High (all GPUs tested here support ultra though so choose that)
Foliage Visibility Range: Medium
Detail Level: Medium
Ambient Occlusion: SSAO
All post-process effects on, except vignetting

And then increase stuff while monitoring framerate (steam has built in framerate counter, or use fraps) to check as it holds 60fps.

Ultimadrago

FINALLY finished Witcher 3!

Oh, so good. So good.

I don't know if I can find another RPG series to love like this. It has been a ride, Geralt.

Thanks CD.

Montresor

I feel like that Witcher 2 is almost a must to play before 3 if you really want to enjoy Witcher 3 but most importantly understand all of Witcher 3. They do explain well enough what is going on but you miss out on so much backstory/characters. It's not needed but... yeah. But yes,in the way you explain it it could be okay I suppose but I myself advice against it.

Only problem is that it is also a pretty long game which is not good for your backlog. Think it did take me 50idh hours. I don't know how good the Xbox version is. Pc version with godmode to go through the story fast would be another option perhaps.

Thanks. That settles it for me - I'll choose to play Witcher 2 before Witcher 3.

tauke

FINALLY finished Witcher 3!

Oh, so good. So good.

I don't know if I can find another RPG series to love like this. It has been a ride, Geralt.

Thanks CD.

yoxrQ5t.jpg

I wonder how long is your playtime. This game is my Virtual Medieval Europe with Monsters Roaming Around Simulator 2015 every weekend.

Nere

Guys I have an issue. I have the witcher 3 in Ps4 and I can't seem to download the 1.08 patch. The patch is added on my downloads it says preparing to download goes to 3% then to 0% then like 2% then 0% and then says cannot download. When I click it says to download the content you must delete unnecessary content from system storage but I have 20 free Gbytes the patch can't be that big. Anyone has any clue whats going on?

Bump for help. Nobody had this happen to him? I would really appreciate some help.

Ultimadrago

yoxrQ5t.jpg

I wonder how long is your playtime. This game is my Virtual Medieval Europe with Monsters Roaming Around Simulator 2015 every weekend.

My playtime got to 116 hours before conclusion. More than half was dedicated just to the sheer amount of cinematic sidequests. Then when I caught up with those I dove into the main story. It was a long hold back (and I didn't even tackle all quests, only actively searched out ones including Contracts or Cinematics). 104 hours must mean you're having a great time! Haha. I really enjoyed my ending variations too and I'm sure you'll do the same.

Kvik

Another weekend, yet another witcher's contract endless waiting for NG+.

At least there's Shadowrun Hong Kong next week to look forward to.

Top Bottom