• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 will likely have the best graphics yet (New Screenshots)

HeelPower

People forget this a giant open world ? i.e some locations will probably end up looking better than others.

There is no way this game will be super even graphically.

Still, at its worst, this game looks AMAZING.

I've got a feeling they will do the whole Free Enhanced Edition upgrade with W3 that may end up with another pass over graphics in another year or so following release.

Vegetation looks alot worse than what they had shown before

05.gif

There's no way to judge this particular flora with these screenshots of city, villages, and roads

edit: the other one with the kid jumping seems like a more convincing argument

Virdix

???
I didn't realise the Witcher took place in our world.

GPU...

Thanks, just quick browsing would this be okay? PSU for running it shouldn't be an issue.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1&cm_re=PPSSLQEGPIKMNK-_-14-487-091-_-Product

Double your ram everything else looks ok, should manage 240fps with 24gb ram no probs

Thanks man, I ordered 24gbs just to make it a solid 36. I'll buy you a beer sometime.

Based on those screen shots, I feel like the game will look quite good, but it doesn't seem like that big of a jump from Witcher 2. Perhaps I'm remembering wrong, it's been a while since I played that game.
I think the real impressive part, though, is that they managed this level of visuals for what's supposedly a massive open world game. Witcher 2 was quite linear overall

Check the recommended specs, but it's pretty clearly your GPU. Your processor should be fine, and you have more than enough RAM.

Thank! Ran system requirements lab before I posted but I trust the PC people on this site to have good advice.

Barakov

Gold Member
The horse in the first shot looks pretty derpy. But other than that it looks pretty decent for an open world game. Though, the downgrade is pretty disappointing.

Daverid

You can use that excuse for every single video game that uses the trope.

What excuse? I don't need any excuse, the game explains itself perfectly and it makes complete sense as to why Triss landed herself in the position she was in. If you failed to understand that and the context, that's your fault and not the writing.

Faustek

lol well power-wise i'm pretty confident my PC CAN create that image, it's more so whether or not the devs allowed that to be possible now.

In GeDoSaTo we believe!

Or you know, old school ini files or even better a simple yes.
Don't think CDPR would limit them selves instead they go the extra mile. Within reason of course.
Better question would be if CDPR have gimped themselves being this stretched out now. Something will suffer. Just hope it's *only* minor things instead of people or the quality of the game.

Aikidoka

You hear that? You CAN HAVE SEX WITH SOMEONE IN THE NEXT TOWN!

Well wrap it folks, AO rating only on Witcher 3. We can't be having too much sex in too many towns after all.

Try not to cherry pick. There is nothing wrong with having sex, so long as it means something (i.e. like what happened with Triss and Geralt). However, putting in sex as Geralt's just reward is incredibly childish and reinforces that terrible mindset that persists in our culture.

What excuse? I don't need any excuse, the game explains itself perfectly and it makes complete sense as to why Triss landed herself in the position she was in. If you failed to understand that and the context, that's your fault and not the writing.

If you save a girl in modern games its a trope, come on weren't you at the meeting we discussed this? It doesn't matter if the person actually you know, needs saving for story reasons because of a situation that logically makes sense in the plot.

Try not to cherry pick. There is nothing wrong with having sex, so long as it means something (i.e. like what happened with Triss and Geralt). However, putting in sex as Geralt's just reward is incredibly childish and reinforces that terrible mindset that persists in our culture.

But why does it have to mean something? What if she was just horny and though Geralt was hot and wanted to do the nasty? You know that happens like every day in the world right?

I mean its nice, and certainly better when sex means something, but sometimes its just done for the act itself. Hence the existence of both male and female strippers / prostitutes.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Given the amount of supersampling... it really doesn't look that good.

In GeDoSaTo we believe!

This game is DX9? You mean DSR?

injurai

Banned
So, I don't feel strongly either way about this, but come on people. Yeah, they're medieval prostitutes. They're also in hot pants. Now, I'm no historical scholar, but I don't think that's period accurate, so let's not pretend this is all just for the sake of realism.

With men's modern taste in woman, I think their effect would be lost otherwise.

Aikidoka

Good grief, you guys are pretty stubborn. The trope wouldn't be a problem if it didn't happen in the vast majority of games. If you have such a hard-on for context, think about this trope in the context of every other game out there and modern day culture.

AngryBaby

Banned
For the gameplay to blow it out of the box, it just needs to work. W2 gameplay is an abomination

it just needs a better indication that you actually had been HIT.

fuck I couldn't stand randomly looking at my health and seeing it be almost gone without realizing it.

animate some knock back or something, shit.

maneil99

To those saying this doesn't look that impressive, what better looking open-world are coming out first half 2015?

GTA V is likely to have much more impressive pedestrians and a much deeper world. ACU looks alot better then this aswell. The Witcher 3 doesn't even use PBR. The lighting doesn't look great nor does the environment, it just looks average.

Girls at my college dress worse then that. Lol doesn't seen that bad to me.

Anyways, not the best looking game I have seen, but still looks fantastic. Things might change though when we actually see it in person. I expect it to look even better. Zelda and FF appeal to me more as of right now in the looks department.

Aikidoka

But why does it have to mean something? What if she was just horny and though Geralt was hot and wanted to do the nasty? You know that happens like every day in the world right?

I mean its nice, and certainly better when sex means something, but sometimes its just done for the act itself. Hence the existence of both male and female strippers / prostitutes.

Then that would mean something - at least have some elementary commentary on the human condition or whatever. The girl makes it very clear that she doesn't want to have sex with Geralt. If you say no at first, then she will be relieved and not offer again.

viveks86

Maybe they're console bullshots. They don't look too impressive, maybe it's the geometry looking fairly basic or lighting.

I'm inclined to agree, but I don't see why they would start showing a different version in their marketing material after showing PC version first. It's all too confusing.

maybe its just me but after playing Dragon Age the graphics for the Witcher just doesn't seem impressive. ill still play it on the pc.

Then that would mean something - at least have some elementary commentary on the human condition or whatever. The girl makes it very clear that she doesn't want to have sex with Geralt. If you say no at first, then she will be relieved and not offer again.

Hmm, now that's interesting. I don't remember that but if true it actually sounds like social commentary about women being oppressed sexually in that universe or at least that character.

Dafuq? Is this for real?

It's real I have one. Though that was from a while ago though, so the ones with the CE may be just as high quality as in the promo pics.

Helmholtz

Thanks, just quick browsing would this be okay? PSU for running it shouldn't be an issue.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1&cm_re=PPSSLQEGPIKMNK-_-14-487-091-_-Product
You'd probably be better off going with a 970 or r9 290(x) if they're in your budget. Otherwise I'd imagine the 960 would be okay but you might have to turn a few settings down. I'm no expert though. I would assume a 970 or equivalent of that would last you longer though, and Witcher 3 will probably be pretty GPU intensive. I don't know much about the 960 since it's a pretty new card, but it's probably quite good if you're on a budget. The main concern people seem to be having with it though is the 2gb of vram, which people aren't sure will be enough down the road. A lot of people are opting for 4gb cards right now.
Another thing I personally look for nowadays is for the card to have good fans/heatsink. So basically the more fans/bigger fans the better I would think. A lot of the aftermarket companies like EVGA seem to have pretty good cooling systems. I would just avoid reference cards where it looks like there's only a tiny fan or something. I had one of those once and it was super noisy and hot.

Daverid

Good grief, you guys are pretty stubborn. The trope wouldn't be a problem if it didn't happen in the vast majority of games. If you have such a hard-on for context, think about this trope in the context of every other game out there and modern day culture.

So any trope instantly becomes bad, no matter the circumstance, just because lots of people are using it?

I'm sorry, but in regards to The Witcher 2 your argument holds absolutely zero weight whatsoever. Pay closer attention to the world situation, characters involved, general dialogues and try to turn off your ridiculous general prejudice against the trope and you might actually realize that it's a well executed, explained and reasonable use of the trope.

This is the wrong thread for discussion anyway, so I'll leave it there.

Condom

Everybody who played The Witcher 2 on PC will know that 3 will be one of the best looking games ever.

The open world might give the wrong impression but main areas of the game will most likely have extremely high amounts detail.

Helmholtz

Everybody who played The Witcher 2 on PC will know that 3 will be one of the best looking games ever.
It really was a great looking game. Hell, it still is. There haven't been that many games that have come out since that impressed me like that one did.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Looks about par for the course at this point in terms of something you'd play in reality:

Still so much to work on, and we just can't nail distant details or LOD right yet can we?

Visuals look nice, but inconsistent. I can think of at least half a dozen already released games, including a couple of open-world games, that look on-par or better than TW3. And then there are several more games that will be released within the next several months that also look better.

I remain a little skeptical that CDPR truly has what it takes to pull off a game of this magnitude...in terms of graphics, world, story, gameplay and overall cohesion. Hopefully my mild concerns will be eased tomorrow.

Still so much to work on, and we just can't nail distant details or LOD right yet can we?

Yeah distant detail and LOD are still huge issues in modern titles. Noticed same problem in the updated FFXV shots. Its the biggest thing holding back immersion in open world titles in my opinion.

Unity is the best looking game I've personally ever seen but the huge lack of LOD that pops up can completely break the experience at times.

elfinke

Hmmm, aside from the general sharpness of the shots (which runs contrary to one of the major problems I have with them, too), I'm not marvelling at them. First two look ok, the fourth one is not a good screenshot, at all, and desperately needs either motion or a subtle bit DoF to soften some of the less important aspects of the image.

I guess I'm looking at these screens as though they were poorly composed photos, rather than as the examples of the technical showpiece that Witcher 3 is.

I can't wait to see some gameplay, though.

Squishy3

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find these shots impressive at all.

Lol, is this for real?
I think it has to be a work-in-progress picture. I actually couldn't even tell where the head for the gryphon was. There's no way that's a final paint job.

Actually, on second thought, I just realized Geralt is literally a part of the gryphon in that figure. His torso is coming out of its back.

Top Bottom