• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher Community Thread: Where we discuss what politics and sex have in common

studyguy

how accurate the game to the book?

Basically picks up where the novels leave off, so if you've read the novels, you'll be inundated in references to the novels. First title especially. Still if you don't read a thing before jumping in, the game does a fine job on its own.

Iastfan112

Neo Member
Basically picks up where the novels leave off, so if you've read the novels, you'll be inundated in references to the novels. First title especially. Still if you don't read a thing before jumping in, the game does a fine job on its own.

I'd argue the whole Alvin subplot is a reasonably large deviation from the books but other then that I agree.

usp84

Nice thread!

Is there a good recap but only for the first game?I played it many years ago and i dont remember much.

OP, I just want you to know that we appreciate your not mentioning certain abomination attached to the franchise. You protected the helpless, good on you.

(I actually really like the theme song though)

studyguy

I'd argue the whole Alvin subplot is a reasonably large deviation from the books but other then that I agree.

Sapkowski considers it by and large it's own independent work inspired by his rather than a direct sequel or alternate reality.

"The game - with all due respect to it, but let's finally say it openly - is not an 'alternative version', nor a sequel. The game is a free adaptation containing elements of my work; an adaptation created by different authors," he noted.

So yeah I agree with the Alvin subplot note, I still feel like it's appropriate enough though. Either way it isn't really necessary to read through to enjoy the series, but I find it much more enjoyable knowing character backstories as they're introduced ingame. I am glad that the games have gathered enough interest to have the books translated for a wider audience.

Mostly through the first game and I've read The Last Wish with Blood of Elves sitting on my shelf.

I don't have a PC or a current gen console strong enough to play 3 so I won't play it for some time. But at least I'll have the books until I can. They just announced they're doing the last 3 now into English right?

OP, I just want you to know that we appreciate your not mentioning certain abomination attached to the franchise. You protected the helpless, good on you.

(I actually really like the theme song though)

The idea is to get more people into the franchise, not scare them away ;)

Sapkowski considers it by and large it's own independent work inspired by his rather than a direct sequel or alternate reality.

"The game - with all due respect to it, but let's finally say it openly - is not an 'alternative version', nor a sequel. The game is a free adaptation containing elements of my work; an adaptation created by different authors," he noted.

So yeah I agree with the Alvin subplot note, I still feel like it's appropriate enough though. Either way it isn't really necessary to read through to enjoy the series, but I find it much more enjoyable knowing character backstories as they're introduced ingame. I am glad that the games have gathered enough interest to have the books translated for a wider audience.

The games weren't written by him so he obviously doesn't consider them canon but what matters is that as a whole the books and the games form a coherent story. If there were contradictions or overlaps in the stories it would be a different matter, but as it is you can think of the games as the continuation of Geralt's adventures, since they coexist perfectly.
It helps that the games have a ton of references to the books and build upon those events, whicgh makes the whole thing more cohesive.

Denton

Well to be fair, first Witcher does suffer from the fact that CDP did not really know what they were doing back then :) It is still amazing game with great atmosphere, but story-wise it is not as consistent with books as it perhaps should have been (the fact alone that nobody, Triss or any of the other Witchers, really mentions Yen or Ciri, for example..).
Witcher 2 is pretty much perfect though, and I think Witcher 3 will be too.

prudislav

If there were contradictions or overlaps in the stories it would be a different matter, but as it is you can think of the games as the continuation of Geralt's adventures, since they coexist perfectly.
It helps that the games have a ton of references to the books and build upon those events, whicgh makes the whole thing more cohesive.
i kinda fear there will be small difference now with Witcher 3 , because the whole history surrounding Yen, Ciri, Emhyr, "Red horsemen"
(Wild Hunt)
and Geralt is far too complex to explain it fast to games-only people , but honestly hope that CDP can do it without creating inconsistencies

i kinda fear there will be small difference now with Witcher 3 , because the whole history with Ciri, Emhyr, "Red horsemen"
(Wild Hunt)
and Geralt is far too complex to explain it fast to games-only people , but honestly hope that CDP can do it without creating inconsistencies

I don't think that it's that complex. It's not the background I worry about, it's their story itself. How are they going to resolve it? What is the execution going to be like? I'm afraid it's going to be cheesy, "save-the-world" scenario, with no depth at all. It's not that previous games had bad plot, it's just that the studio had made questionable decisions in the past, also regarding the story. I'm hoping for the best, but... The Witcher 3: please be good.

Also, they are introducing some iconic characters in the saga, and I have my personal fears about that. One that is going to be a second playable character (and the most key player in the plot), while also being co-protagonist in the books, along with Geralt. The second one is a love interest, a rival to popular Triss. To make them work, there's going to be needed a lot of effort on writers, animators and voice actors part. I selfishly want them both to be perfectly in line with the novels, and that's no easy task, especially considering time constraints. And its possible to ruin them completely - look what they already did to poor, poor Dandelion... he was everybody's favorite before, now? Hardly anyone cares about him and if they do, they hate him. I don't want Ciri or Yen to meet similar fate.

I don't think that it's that complex. It's not the background I worry about, it's their story itself. How are they going to resolve it? What is the execution going to be like? I'm afraid it's going to be cheesy, "save-the-world" scenario, with no depth at all. It's not that previous games had bad plot, it's just that the studio had made questionable decisions in the past, also regarding the story. I'm hoping for the best, but... The Witcher 3: please be good.

Also, they are introducing some iconic characters in the saga, and I have my personal fears about that. One that is going to be a second playable character (and the most key player in the plot), while also being co-protagonist in the books, along with Geralt. The second one is a love interest, a rival to popular Triss. To make them work, there's going to be needed a lot of effort on writers, animators and voice actors part. I selfishly want them both to be perfectly in line with the novels, and that's no easy task, especially considering time constraints. And its possible to ruin them completely - look what they already did to poor, poor Dandelion... he was everybody's favorite before, now? Hardly anyone cares about him and if they do, they hate him. I don't want Ciri or Yen to meet similar fate.

I agree, Yen and Ciri need to be perfect, I'm bracing myself to hear their voices, I hope the actresses live up to the challenge.
Regarding Dandelion, I don't think he was THAT bad, tbh.
The love triangle will need to be handled well though, putting Triss and Geralt in a relationship in the first 2 games and now bringing back Yen... Let's say I'm curious to see how that will play out. Yen is scary when she gets mad lol, even the Wild Hunt will want to stay clear of that.

The games don't adapt the books, literally speaking. It's just in the same universe with the same main character.

I think it was very intelligent to do it that way. It's done by other authors, who tell their own story so there isn't any discussion of "this part isn't accurate!", but while doing it they re-use not only the setting and characters, but they re-imagine some plots and themes from the books while doing their new story.

So in the books the theme of racism, humans vs non-human, guerilla warfare and terrorism is touched, same as in the games.
In the books there is a romance with a sorceress, Yennefer. in the games they use another soceress from the book, Triss, as romance plot.
In the books the war of the Nilfgaard empire and other political fights and the plots of the mages are key plots in the middle/late books. Again in Witcher 2 both themes are present.
In the book there is a theme of parenthood, as Geralt has to take care of a little girl called Ciri (which secretly has mystical powers), and of course in the end he cares for her. In Witcher 1 Geralt has to take care of Alvin, a little child, who also has mystical powers. See the parallel?

That said, now in Witcher 3 it seems maybe because they trust themselves more and because they have a legion of fans, but they are going to tackle directly the stuff from the witcher books, like the characters of Yennefer and Ciri.

Suggestion from me : the videos from ShoddyCast are pretty good - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrrzVp2HIMk

These are pretty cool, will add to the OP.

The games don't adapt the books, literally speaking. It's just in the same universe with the same main character.

I think it was very intelligent to do it that way. It's done by other authors, who tell their own story so there isn't any discussion of "this part isn't accurate!", but while doing it they re-use not only the setting and characters, but they re-imagine some plots and themes from the books while doing their new story.

So in the books the theme of racism, humans vs non-human, guerilla warfare and terrorism is touched, same as in the games.
In the books there is a romance with a sorceress, Yennefer. in the games they use another soceress from the book, Triss, as romance plot.
In the books the war of the Nilfgaard empire and other political fights and the plots of the mages are key plots in the middle/late books. Again in Witcher 2 both themes are present.
In the book there is a theme of parenthood, as Geralt has to take care of a little girl called Ciri (which secretly has mystical powers), and of course in the end he cares for her. In Witcher 1 Geralt has to take care of Alvin, a little child, who also has mystical powers. See the parallel?

That said, now in Witcher 3 it seems maybe because they trust themselves more and because they have a legion of fans, but they are going to tackle directly the stuff from the witcher books, like the characters of Yennefer and Ciri.

That's a very nice summary of the relation between both mediums. Let's hope CDPR knocks it out of the park with TW3.

phaze

Great OP. Thank you for your hard work Dragon1893 and SpacePirate Ridley.

The games have greatly exaggerated the power of Geralt's signs (aka magic) and the extent to which he relies on them. I swear, in the books, he used Axii once to calm down his horse and Agnii also one time to burn down some ropes tying him. A far cry from the mind control and flame thrower of the games.

The story of W1 and W2 is also to quite a large extent, a retread of some plot points from the books. (Full Saga Book Spoilers
Alvin is basically Ciri bis and W2 story is a rehash of Times of Contempt.

Also, Hussite Trilogy > Witcher saga.

Great OP. Thank you for your hard work Dragon1893 and SpacePirate Ridley.

The games have greatly exxagarated the power of Geralt's signs (aka magic) and the extent to which Geralt relies on them. I swear, in the books, he used Axii once to calm down his horse and Agnii to burn down some ropes tying him. A far cry from the mind control and flame thrower of the games.

The story of W1 and W2 is also to quite a large extent, a retread of some plot points from the books. (Full Saga Book Spoilers

Well, to be fair signs wouldn't be any fun to use in a game if they were that weak. I think CDPR definitely made the right call there.

Thanks for the kind words.

SJRB

Gold Member
Awesome thread!

Reading Times of Contempt AND playing Witcher 2 for the first time too.

Really excited for Witcher 3, my most anticipated game of 2015 aside from MGSV.

The_Monk

Thanks for the helpful links to the books on amazon.uk. Will check it out later on and will go to the local store to see if they also have the English version at a neat price. :)

The games have greatly exxagarated the power of Geralt's signs (aka magic) and the extent to which Geralt relies on them. I swear, in the books, he used Axii once to calm down his horse and Agnii to burn down some ropes tying him. A far cry from the mind control and flame thrower of the games.

It's actually kind of funny to think about, but on the other hand - pretty understandable from the gameplay perspective. Even now people complain that there's little variety in the fight styles of the game.

That is true - although I don't mind the plot of TW2 that much, it could be seen as a logical extension of the political problems from the saga. Of course, we'd have to assume that Emhyr
would want to invade Northern Kingdoms again, even after Brenna.
It's stretching credibility a bit, but I'm willing to let it slide, especially since it's obvious that RED wanted to include that character really badly.

Wild Hunt - oooh, this is the one I can buy completely -
afterall, nothing on that front really resolved itself in the books
. I'm actually happy that they're continuing the story.

I respectfully disagree. I loved Narrenturm when it first came out and enjoyed the second book. By the time Lux Perpetua was published, I unfortunately forgot everything from the series, tried to re-read it... and couldn't even finish the first part. This is why, even though I own the whole trilogy, I never even started the final one. For context, I read The Witcher saga gazillion times.

Maybe it's not the book, it's me.

studyguy

Interested to see how they're going to integrate Ciri who is basically completely new to the vast majority of people who played the games alone. They've made a number of throwback references in W1 and mentioned her in a cut scene in W2 briefly iirc. Beyond that though, I'm curious how they'll make what is basically a critical character in the novels an equally important one in the games in a short span of time.

W2 has Geralt with his memory back... maybe that's how we get flashbacks to training Ciri now that he suddenly remembers it? That sounds like the most plausible theory to me

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm nearing my TW1 & TW2 replay as a lead up to the third game. Pretty excited to replay the first even though I've already sunk like 120 hours into it.

LostEcho

Neo Member
Great I was looking a thread like that.

I read all the book in the last two weeks and I'm replaying TW1 (At chapter 5) and will play through TW2 that I did not finish first time around. I'll be up to date before TW3.

I'm really interested to see Yennefer and Ciri in the game. And now that I know all the story/character, it's a little harder to go through TW1 and TW2 knowing that Yennefer and Ciri are not in there. Also, seeing the relation with Triss when you know that she remember everything but say nothing to Geralt is making me cringe a little. But maybe I put too much tought into that.

Anyway, great thread, will keep an eye ont it! :)

aravuus

The Last Wish is definitely great. Just started three or four hours ago and I'm already halfway through. Probably won't have time to read on Saturday or Sunday, but I'm pretty sure I have Friday off so if I keep at this pace, I'll be starting the third book next Monday lol

I really like what CDProjekt did with everything in the games so im not really afraid of Ciri and Yennefer, and the little we saw from them was looking really good. Of course, we need to hear their voices and how they act to give the final conclusion.

And I dont think Jaskier is THAT changed, they are pretty similar, but of course in the books he has more time alone where you can see his charisma working and how a fun character he can be. Its something that you can't see in the games that much but as a character, I dont really think it differs.

Great I was looking a thread like that.

I read all the book in the last two weeks and I'm replaying TW1 (At chapter 5) and will play through TW2 that I did not finish first time around. I'll be up to date before TW3.

I'm really interested to see Yennefer and Ciri in the game. And now that I know all the story/character, it's a little harder to go through TW1 and TW2 knowing that Yennefer and Ciri are not in there. Also, seeing the relation with Triss when you know that she remember everything but say nothing to Geralt is making me cringe a little. But maybe I put too much tought into that.

Anyway, great thread, will keep an eye ont it! :)

Well, she acts similar when she goes to Kaer Morhen to see Ciri for the first time. She is like, I know Yen exists in this relation, and she is my best friend, but I want to fuck Geralt even if he only thinks about her. Thats why when Yen dissapears in the games, it makes sense she acts like that, its her great opportunity to be with Geralt.

I respectfully disagree. I loved Narrenturm when it first came out and enjoyed the second book. By the time Lux Perpetua was published, I unfortunately forgot everything from the series, tried to re-read it... and couldn't even finish the first part. This is why, even though I own the whole trilogy, I never even started the final one. For context, I read The Witcher saga gazillion times.

Nah, is not only you. Ive also read them and think the same. There are no characters in those who captivate me like the ones in the geralt saga. I also think it looses a little bit of its snappy and fun charm.

Nocturnal

Banned
Wonderful job, my portuguese fellow! (judging from your avatar).

I have only played the mobile moba game and I have yet to gain the courage (so little time) to start the first game. The world and stuff seems very interesting, so, eventually, I will dive in the series.

erawsd

Great job on the OT!

Although that picture of the King of the Wild Hunt is outdated. He looks like this now:

witcher-3-wild-hunt-2.jpg

Great job on the OT!

Although that picture of the King of the Wild Hunt is outdated. He looks like this now:

I'm assuming SpacePirate is a fan of the original design :)
Let's give him a break, he worked really late last night so we could finally get the thread up today.

erawsd

Oh man this dude is menacing as hell. And The Wild Hunt are elves too, right?

Based on my understanding of the books:
Yes. They are Elves from alternate world. Though few people in Geralt's world are aware of that, most think that they are Undead Specters.

Finally got around to the Witcher 2. Why is everything so slow and clunky? Moving around, navigating menus, switching items all feel like crap. Even dice poker is so much worse than the first game. Did they shoehorn controller support after the fact?

-Deimos

About time we had a community thread, amazing job on it. I just finished reading through the novels a few weeks ago. Just in time for W3.

erawsd

Damn, you are right!
Blast you Witcher wikia for not being updated!

Will change it when i have some time tomorrow.

Yeah, the wikia wont be updated anymore. The guys that were running it says the wikia people were being to restrictive so they moved everything over to http://witcher.gamepedia.com/Witcher_Wiki, which is endorsed by CDPR as the official wiki for the Witcher games. Too bad google still only links to the old site.

Finally got around to the Witcher 2. Why is everything so slow and clunky? Moving around, navigating menus, switching items all feel like crap. Even dice poker is so much worse than the first game. Did they shoehorn controller support after the fact?

It plays better with mouse and keyboard, yeah.

Yeah, the wikia wont be updated anymore. The guys that were running it says the wikia people were being to restrictive so they moved everything over to http://witcher.gamepedia.com/Witcher_Wiki, which is endorsed by CDPR as the official wiki for the Witcher games. Too bad google still only links to the old site.
Now I remember being 2, but as you say, its pretty difficult to fin the one you posted.
Givving both a look right now, what I dont understand then is why it has things better updated (and infomred) in one, and viceversa.
What a mess.
They are the same guys? why couldnt just pass everything valuable to the new one and erase the old one.

Dragon, here you have the update for the op:
04ibwildhunt6suy4.png

Windam

Scaley member
You're right, I was looking at the UK release date which was January 7 of this year.

Was it announced that Sword of Destiny is receiving an English translation? I've looked online but I can't find anything. It would be odd for them to publish a set of short stories released before the novels before publishing the next major installment of the series. It would make the wait for The Swallow's Tower more bearable.

phaze

Well, to be fair signs wouldn't be any fun to use in a game if they were that weak. I think CDPR definitely made the right call there.

Thanks for the kind words.

It's actually kind of funny to think about, but on the other hand - pretty understandable from the gameplay perspective. Even now people complain that there's little variety in the fight styles of the game.

Yeah by no means do I hold that against them. They had an unenviable task of creating a RPG with its supposed freedom of playing style out of a story about a expert swordsman. Though maybe I should, their insistence on making a role playing game robbed me of Geral May Cry pure action flick.

That is true - although I don't mind the plot of TW2 that much, it could be seen as a logical extension of the political problems from the saga. Of course, we'd have to assume that Emhyr
would want to invade Northern Kingdoms again, even after Brenna.
It's stretching credibility a bit, but I'm willing to let it slide, especially since it's obvious that RED wanted to include that character really badly.

Wild Hunt - oooh, this is the one I can buy completely -
afterall, nothing on that front really resolved itself in the books
. I'm actually happy that they're continuing the story.

Times of Contempt might be my favourite of the Witcher books but seeing the
Thanned conflagration copy pasted into the W2 story just felt weak for me.
I do agree with Wild Hunt being a good direction for the story of the games, though what will CD Projekt do with it, remains to be seen,

Hah I think I recall having this conversation before. I love them both but the Trilogy is a bit better for me. I adore the setting I adore Sharley and how Sap has interwoven the story into the historical events, even if that resulted in its fair share of problems too.

Was it announced that Sword of Destiny is receiving an English translation? I've looked online but I can't find anything. It would be odd for them to publish a set of short stories released before the novels before publishing the next major installment of the series. It would make the wait for The Swallow's Tower more bearable.

Like it says in the OP, the sword of destiny will finally get an english release in May.

Man, there's some awesome witcher fanart going around.

Cheapest place to get the game is nuuvem, keep in mind it's the gog version.
If you e-mail them proof of owning the first 2 games they'll send you a code for an extra 10% off. Came out at 25.85 euros for me.
You have to use a vpn to buy it.

Ciri seems like a pretty cool character

Can't wait to learn more of her. Is she present in The Last Wish or does she join later on?

She's divisive. Some people (like me) love her, some hate her with passion. She's co-protagonist of the books along with Geralt though, so you've gotta bear with her :)

She's technically "present" (lol) in The Last Wish, but you meet her properly in Sword of Destiny.

She's divisive. Some people (like me) love her, some hate her with passion. She's co-protagonist of the books along with Geralt though, so you've gotta bear with her :)

She's technically "present" (lol) in The Last Wish, but you meet her properly in Sword of Destiny.

Didnt know she was a divissive character. I really like her in the books.

Top Bottom