• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher Community Thread: Where we discuss what politics and sex have in common

She's divisive. Some people (like me) love her, some hate her with passion. She's co-protagonist of the books along with Geralt though, so you've gotta bear with her :)

She's technically "present" (lol) in The Last Wish, but you meet her properly in Sword of Destiny.

What?! Who hates her? I wasn't aware of the existence of such heathens.

One of the things I love about this story is that despite all the monster hunting and the political intrigue, this is a story about 3 people trying to be a family under impossible circumstances.
But yeah, Ciri's character being divisive is news to me.

aravuus

She's divisive. Some people (like me) love her, some hate her with passion. She's co-protagonist of the books along with Geralt though, so you've gotta bear with her :)

She's technically "present" (lol) in The Last Wish, but you meet her properly in Sword of Destiny.

Her story starts in The Last Wish but you don't know it until Sword of Destiny.

Thanks! Can't wait

Especially now that I read the Question of Price. All the stories in The Last Wish have been great, but this one was honestly fucking amazing

Didnt know she was a divissive character. I really like her in the books.

What?! Who hates her? I wasn't aware of the existence of such heathens.

One of the things I love about this story is that despite all the monster hunting and the political intrigue, this is a story about 3 people trying to be a family under impossible circumstances.
But yeah, Ciri's character being divisive is news to me.

Old Polish fandom really disliked how she took over the storyline and "stole" the spotlight from Geralt. Along with the accusations of her being an annoying bratty Mary Sue. I still think it was just vocal minority, because c'mon, if so many people really hated her, how would the books become so popular?

The family side of the story is my favorite too. I also really enjoyed grumpy old man Geralt being the magnet for the merry band of misfits. The parts when he vehemently denied liking any of them, no sir, nuh-uh, and them being completely unimpressed by his sulking - those were some of the moments I loved the most.

EDIT:
Thanks! Can't wait

Especially now that I read the Question of Price. All the stories in The Last Wish have been great, but this one was honestly fucking amazing

Oh,
so you've already met her :)

eot

Banned
Ah, nice to see a thread for this.
I've been looking for my Witcher 1 CD, it came out before I was used to buying things on Steam and I never took the chance to register it on GoG. Can't find it though :/

Speaking of fanart - these are the stunning portraits by http://paticmak.tumblr.com. She bases her art on book descriptions, so that's why Dandelion is blond here. Check out her other work, it's gorgeous too.

tumblr_njob7l5uCg1s8wliwo1_r1_540.png
tumblr_njl9rb7Sdu1s8wliwo1_540.png

tumblr_njkcoajSoW1s8wliwo1_540.png
tumblr_njmrrsQR6f1s8wliwo1_r3_540.png

Old Polish fandom really disliked how she took over the storyline and "stole" the spotlight from Geralt. Along with the accusations of her being an annoying bratty Mary Sue. I still think it was just vocal minority, because c'mon, if so many people really hated her, how would the books become so popular?

Can't say I agree with that stuff. I really like Ciri and the hidden facet of Geralt's personality she forced him to expose. The parts where we're seeing things from her perspective are very interesting and the fact that she's so different from Geralt helps keep things fresh.

Windam

Scaley member
Like it says in the OP, the sword of destiny will finally get an english release in May.

Just read the Gollancz announcement on their site. Man have I been behind.

EXCIIIIIIIITE

Living in Canada, I'm glad Book Depository has free shipping. I can't wait another five months (after May) for Orbit to publish the book and simply change the cover of the book to something from TW2's game engine instead of keeping the Gollancz version.

UK editions for lyfe

Just finished reading The Last Wish. Debating between reading the fan translation of The Sword of Destiny or waiting for the official translation.

misho8723

Banned
Ok, some new info about W3:WH from the preview events collected by Shavod on the official forums :
- there are many different types of additional weapons that you can pick up. What's interesting, you need a higher level in order to be able to use it

- weapons (including swords) will not last forever and can be destroyed if used too much. You need to regularly pay a visit to a craftsman to maintain it

- HUD is very customizable. There are several options available, including turning off minimap and all sorts of notifications if you so desire

- all graphical settings are present in in-game menu

- enemies will parry crossbow's bolts with a shields

- skill tree is really massive. There are 5 trees (according to witchersite there was 4, so I'm not sure who is closer to the truth), each has 5 tiers and each tier contains 5 skills. Every skill has 3 or 4 levels to unlock. Even though later Geralt will gain more skill points per level it's still will be impossible to unlock all of it

- after unlocking the skill it needs to be activated. You do that by putting it into separate tree, which contains a limited number of slots (it will increase with character's progress). Activated skills affects Geralt's fighting style. Activating set of skills from the same category will increase it's effects. It adds another layer to preparations and tactical planning, as you have to choose an appropriate set of active skills depending on what kind of opponent you going to face (for example, if you going to fight with heavily armored knights, you can activate Igni upgrade that allows you to melt armors)

- there are also four slots for mutagens, which also affects your abilities

- temporary companions are quite helpful and even use different fighting styles. For example, one woman that accompany them waited for a right moment while enemies were focused on Geralt to backstab them for massive damage

- game is pretty difficult, as you can die even on easy if you're not careful

- some details about dynamic weather: there will be snow, different phases of day/night, different stages of cloudiness, storms, a few types of rain and even a morning mist

- enemy AI is really good. Wolves and bandits spread to cut off all of Geralt's escape routes. If you kill their respective leaders, they end up completely disorganized. One enemy can use himself as a living bait to give the rest of his squad a chance to put Geralt in a corner If you set up a trap or Yrden sign in front of the enemy, he will avoid it

- NPC's models are very diverse and interior of every hut looks different, so there will be no feeling of deja vu

erawsd

Sounds good, especially the AI stuff. I still dont know about that talent tree though, Id rather have access to anything I unlock instead of having to manage "loadouts". Hopefully, it works better than the image Ive got in my head.

Sounds good, especially the AI stuff. I still dont know about that talent tree though, Id rather have access to anything I unlock instead of having to manage "loadouts". Hopefully, it works better than the image Ive got in my head.

Yeah...
I see what they're trying to do though. It allows you to create different builds for specific situations, but wont it always be more limiting than having access to all the skills you've unlocked at all times?
Why do I have to equip an upgraded igni sign if I should be able to access it at all times since I've already unlocked it?
Of course there are lots of other rpgs where you can only have a limited amounts of skills equipped at any given time but in this case it feels like a step down from previous games in the franchise.

I dont know about the weapon durabilty, but the rest sounds great.

If its a hassle I will probably modded out like I did with the limited inventory space in The witcher 2.
I know its not realistic and maybe im going the easy way out, but I like to enjoy the adventure, even if its challenging becuase of puzzles, decissions or fights, not micromanage my inventory space.
I know theres people that do love this things, so i would like more devs to put option about this things before starting the game, so everyone is happy, instead of waitting for the mod.

Weapon durability is going to be a pain and I do not like the idea of swopping out skillsets. Isn't that then whole point of having skill trees? Every player can potentially create their own unique character, crafted to fit their own play style. it will be interesting to see how this is implemented in game.

Cheers

I dont know about the weapon durabilty, but the rest sounds great.

If its a hassle I will probably modded out like I did with the limited inventory space in The witcher 2.
I know its not realistic and maybe im going the easy way out, but I like to enjoy the adventure, even if its challenging becuase of puzzles, decissions or fights, not micromanage my inventory space.
I know theres people that do love this things, so i would like more devs to put option about this things before starting the game, so everyone is happy, instead of waitting for the mod.

With the exception of the first one, all my TW2 playthroughs were done with the unlimited inventory mod. Seriously, fuck that. The limit is just too damn low.

aravuus

Weapon durability is going to be a pain and I do not like the idea of swopping out skillsets. Isn't that then whole point of having skill trees? Every player can potentially create their own unique character, crafted to fit their own play style. it will be interesting to see how this is implemented in game.

Cheers

Yeah. Both are probably gonna get modded out pretty quick though, hopefully.

Windam

Scaley member
- there are many different types of additional weapons that you can pick up. What's interesting, you need a higher level in order to be able to use it

- weapons (including swords) will not last forever and can be destroyed if used too much. You need to regularly pay a visit to a craftsman to maintain it

- HUD is very customizable. There are several options available, including turning off minimap and all sorts of notifications if you so desire

- skill tree is really massive. There are 5 trees (according to witchersite there was 4, so I'm not sure who is closer to the truth), each has 5 tiers and each tier contains 5 skills. Every skill has 3 or 4 levels to unlock. Even though later Geralt will gain more skill points per level it's still will be impossible to unlock all of it

World of Witchercraft. :p

Has any console gameplay footage from any of the events been released yet? There is that picture of three TVs next to each other (Xbox,Ps4,PC), but it's frustrating not having a clue how it runs on consoles when the game was originally due out pretty soon.

Windam

Scaley member
Has any console gameplay footage from any of the events been released yet? There is that picture of three TVs next to each other (Xbox,Ps4,PC), but it's frustrating not having a clue how it runs on consoles when the game was originally due out pretty soon.

Weren't the E3 gameplay videos from the Xbox One?

misho8723

Banned
Yeah, and some new info to those already posted:

- weapons are not going to break or going to be destroyed, but the lower their condition, the lower the damage they can do

- there are going to be around 30 slots for the skills

Yeah, and some new info to those already posted:

- weapons are not going to break or going to be destroyed, but the lower their condition, the lower the damage they can do

- there are going to be around 30 slots for the skills

Thanks for the update. So they don't actually break.
30 skills, in theory that seems a good amount but I'll reserve judgement for when I play it.

aravuus

Finished The Last Wish! What a fantastic book, an easy and a very entertaining read. Pretty sure I've got tomorrow off, so I definitely feel like making some coffee and staying up all night reading the Sword of Destiny.

e: the last short story was actually really heartwarming. def wasn't expecting that.

erawsd

Finished The Last Wish! What a fantastic book, an easy and a very entertaining read. Pretty sure I've got tomorrow off, so I definitely feel like making some coffee and staying up all night reading the Sword of Destiny.

e: the last short story was actually really heartwarming. def wasn't expecting that.

I don't know if its been cleaned up recently, but the fan translation is definitely rough at times. Its still an enjoyable read. The official translation will be out in May, but I'd guess you want to finish before the game.

aravuus

I don't know if its been cleaned up recently, but the fan translation is definitely rough at times. Its still an enjoyable read. The official translation will be out in May, but I'd guess you want to finish before the game.

Yeah, aiming on reading through the whole book series and either playing W1&2 or watching a let's play or something of them before W3 comes out, so unfortunately I don't have much of a choice right now.

I think you're going to like SoD. I really like the novels, but I love the short story books, and SoD has plenty of emotional moments.

It's a shame SoD's English version is coming so late.
Fortunately I have some knowledge of Spanish which allowed me to get around that problem.

Lunar15

Hopefully someone can help me out here: I redownloaded 2 on my new computer, but now the game completely refuses to start out of steam. The launcher doesn't pop up. I've looked around on countless forums and found no solution. I've checked the registry, verified the cache, downloaded and re-downloaded, and so on and so on. None of it has worked.

Has anyone else run into this?

Hopefully someone can help me out here: I redownloaded 2 on my new computer, but now the game completely refuses to start out of steam. The launcher doesn't pop up. I've looked around on countless forums and found no solution. I've checked the registry, verified the cache, downloaded and re-downloaded, and so on and so on. None of it has worked.

Has anyone else run into this?

Maybe register your copy on gog and redownload it from there?

It's a shame SoD's English version is coming so late.
Fortunately I have some knowledge of Spanish which allowed me to get around that problem.

Still pretty amazing after the fact the book uses lots of olde spanish for some of the characters, so we are not talking about low level spanish here.
Thats really cool of you!

Savitar

Any news on when more books are coming for us english commoners? Being all caught up and knowing the others are translated in basically everything but english is such a pain in the ass.

Any news on when more books are coming for us english commoners? Being all caught up and knowing the others are translated in basically everything but english is such a pain in the ass.

The info in the OP is all we have at this point. It's a bit vague but aside from SoD coming in May, we're looking at 2016 for Swallow's Tower and 2017 for Lady of the Lake.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Question for anyone here, should i buy this game on gog for pc download or ps4? Looking at the pre-order bonuses the pc download comes with the soundtrack which is freaking awesome btw and a bunch of cool stuff. Other thing i dont know if my gaming laptop can run witcher 3 or not.

Question for anyone here, should i buy this game on gog for pc download or ps4? Looking at the pre-order bonuses the pc download comes with the soundtrack which is freaking awesome btw and a bunch of cool stuff. Other thing i dont know if my gaming laptop can run witcher 3 or not.

Minimum requirements:

CPU: Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz / AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
RAM: 6 GB
Video Card: Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660 / AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
Free Disk Space: 40 GB

GOG has a ton of extras, ost, artbook, and lots of other stuff and even a game, Neverwinter Nights.
Post the specs of your laptop if you want some help deciding.

neojubei

Minimum requirements:

CPU: Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz / AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
RAM: 6 GB
Video Card: Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660 / AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
Free Disk Space: 40 GB

GOG has a ton of extras, ost, artbook, and lots of other stuff and even a game, Neverwinter Nights.
Post the specs of your laptop if you want some help deciding.

well here it is

CPU: Intel CPU Core i7-4700HQ @ 2.40Ghz
RAM: 8 GB
Video Card: Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 860M

well here it is

CPU: Intel CPU Core i7-4700HQ @ 2.40Ghz
RAM: 8 GB
Video Card: Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 860M

I don't think your gpu will cut it. Your cpu's clock speed is also pretty low. You might want to consider going with PS4.

Really even for the minimum?

I'm not saying that the game wont run but benchmarks show that your gpu is below the minimun recommended ones so I'm not sure what settings and resolution you'll need to get a stable frame-rate. I think the PS4 version will look and run better.

neojubei

I'm not saying that the game wont run but benchmarks show that your gpu is below the minimun recommended ones so I'm not sure what settings and resolution you'll need to get a stable frame-rate. I think the PS4 version will look and run better.

maybe i just dont get it, but isnt a i7 better than an i5? and the graphics card isnt good?

aravuus

I'd be surprised if a 860M would run the game even on the lowest settings tbh

CPU is probably fine, though. It's not all about the hertzzz

maybe i just dont get it, but isnt a i7 better than an i5? and the graphics card isnt good?

It's not that your gpu is bad, but it's inferior to the 660 and the 7870 which are the minimum recommended. You really shouldn't expect too much from a laptop gpu.

I'd be surprised if a 860M would run the game even on the lowest settings tbh

CPU is probably fine, though. It's not all about the hertzzz

It's not all about speed but it's very important, having more cores/threads wont compensate the fact that his clock speed is pretty low. On the other hand, this game will run on the shitty console cpus so yeah, the gpu will definitely be his bottleneck.

The TW3 steelbooks have some awesome art on them, fortunately someoen made some wallpapers out of them:

http://imgur.com/a/SeU2K

neojubei

Ok I'll get the ps4 version sigh. Witcher 2 ran well on my laptop. Sigh. Problem is now I have to preorder with GameStop since they have the better preorder item.

edit: seems like best buy will have an exclusive steelbook for those who pre-order, might just go ahead with that.

Shy

The TW3 steelbooks have some awesome art on them, fortunately someoen made some wallpapers out of them:

http://imgur.com/a/SeU2K
those are really nice, makes me want to get the physical copy just so i can have one.
Ok I'll get the ps4 version sigh. Witcher 2 ran well on my laptop. Sigh. Problem is now I have to preorder with GameStop since they have the better preorder item.

edit: seems like best buy will have an exclusive steelbook for those who pre-order, might just go ahead with that.
damm, sorry to hear that man.

Sorry. Maybe they'll release a benchmarking tool for it so you can try it. My PC runs TW2 at good frame-rates at 1080p with everything on except supersampling and SSAO but my gpu is well below the recommended for TW3. Don't forget that TW2 is 4 years old at this point.
TW3 is the excuse I needed to upgrade my gpu lol.

Top Bottom