• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher heading to Mac

Old? It was added to the Steam registry:

App ID 209500
Last Updated 2012-03-28 18:42:19
Name The Witcher Mac
Installation Directory The Witcher Mac
Minimum Cache Size 0
Maximum Cache Size 0
Launch Options
Description Default
Command Line "The Witcher.app"
Icon Index 0
No Desktop Shortcut false
No Start Menu Shortcut false
Long Running Unattended false
Platform macos
On First Launch -1
Is Bandwidth Greedy true
Versions (show) Hidden
Current Version ID 0
Filesystems
App ID 209501
Is Optional false
Platform macos
Trickle Version ID -1
User Defined icon =
order = 1
state = eStateAvailable
gamedir = The Witcher Mac
homepage =
NoServers = 1
developer =
primarycache = 209501
serverbrowsername =
ValidOSList = macos
primarycache_macos = 209501
installscript_macos = The Witcher.app/installscript_osx.vdf
Beta Version Password foo
Beta Version ID -1
Legacy Installation Dir
Skip MFP Overwrite false
Use Filesystem DVR false
Manifest Only App true
App of Manifest Only Cache 0

Xater

It just says "The Witcher", so it probably just be the first game. I would still be interested in it.

Oh my god! Perfect timing, as I'll be next week away and I'll bring my Mac.

Please, Valve/CD Projekt, release it tomorrow and make The Witcher franchise the Weekend Deal! I don't think my 2008 Macbook will be able to run it, but hey, a man can dream...

In what universe?

...The one where it's universally acclaimed and has a MetaCritic score only two less than its sequel?

...The one where the fact that maybe you don't care for it doesn't change the fact that it's a great game?

Those two universes are just from off the top of my head.

Zuly

I already own the PC version on Steam but as I'm away from home and my desktop (currently on a MBP), I am eager to replay it.

Helmholtz

The Witcher EE is a pretty awesome RPG. It's a little rough around the edges, but there were a lot of aspects from it that I liked more than TW2. It kind of reminded me of a more linear and focused Oblivion, with a more interesting world/characters/story. Should play fine on a Mac.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Interesting. TW1 is a fantastic game, everyone should play it, so this is good news. TW2 would make more sense, though, maybe they just didn't add the "2" to the registry entry.

Interesting. TW1 is a fantastic game, everyone should play it, so this is good news. TW2 would make more sense, though, maybe they just didn't add the "2" to the registry entry.

I doubt 2 would run decently on anything expect the high end imac in osx.

OH! Haha... Okay then.

My imac can run witcher2 on high settings just fine, but it gets really warm. I tend to play it on mid/low just for the sake of poor ventilation, but the game still looks great.

Then again, this is coming from a guy that played TW1 on lowest possible settings on my laptop and still could barely get it to run properly... So yeah.

Glad to hear this!
I keep getting tempted to have steam on my mac side as well as bootcamp, and this isn't helping.

This tells me that CD-Projekt are getting confident in their technical chops. IMHO, the studio is one of the most technical advanced in the industry today. Can't wait to hear about the Witcher 3 and the cries from everyone when the specs are revealed.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Quick question: I'm massively Lttp with this game.. just downloaded the first game last night on steam and started getting into the story but the gameplay/controls bother me sooooooooo much im not sure if i can keep with it. The clicking and holding and clicking in a slow boring redundant motions makes me think that maybe i'm missing something or doing something wrong as so many people talk about this game being one of the best...

Can anyone go through the motions of selling me/explaining the controls and gameplay to me? possibly how it evolves past the first 2 hours or so into something a little less... repetitive and boring/easy???!!

Quick question: I'm massively Lttp with this game.. just downloaded the first game last night on steam and started getting into the story but the gameplay/controls bother me sooooooooo much im not sure if i can keep with it. The clicking and holding and clicking in a slow boring redundant motions makes me think that maybe i'm missing something or doing something wrong as so many people talk about this game being one of the best...

Can anyone go through the motions of selling me/explaining the controls and gameplay to me? possibly how it evolves past the first 2 hours or so into something a little less... repetitive and boring/easy???!!

Combat isn't good. If you absolutely can't stand the combat, just set the game to easy and wing through it. The role playing aspect (Story/choices/characterization) is well worth it.

Zimbardo

i started playing Witcher 1 about a month ago, but had to stop in Chapter 2 ...it was just way too boring. i might come back to it again sometime in the near future and try it again, tho ...i hear it gets quite a bit better after Chapter 2, so there is some hope.

i also feel the combat is some of the worst i've ever seen in a game.

Aru

There is no way my iMac from 2009 will run The Witcher, because it has a Geforce 9400M graphics card :(

Truly the most adult, mature story and characters I've ever seen in a game. I really can't believe how much fun I had playing through this game, and there's a lot of it. I feel like people who have found Bioware's recent efforts lacking would eat this up. Hell, everyone should play it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I never play games on my Mac. Any idea how my ATI Radeon 5750 will do?

I was still running a HD 5750 when I played through the game and it was fine. A little slow here and there, but that's due to the game being terribly optimised (it runs on a heavily modified version of BioWare's Aurora Engine).

antonz

Yeah The Witcher 1 is gonna be pretty tough running on a MAC. While not nearly as modern in effects etc the original engine was no where near as nice as the one they made for the 2nd.

iavi

There is no way my iMac from 2009 will run The Witcher, because it has a Geforce 9400M graphics card :(

I played through it just fine with an 8600M GT on my early 2008 macbook pro. That was in bootcamp though, and Windows plays games a whole lot faster than OSX does. You should be fine though, still.

Top Bottom